SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New To Me V70R

35K views 302 replies 36 participants last post by  monster451 
#1 ·
Well, since I've had this thing for a while, maybe I should start a thread.

I sold my P2 XC70 to a good friend down in California that needed a new daily.

Around the same time, another friend decided to buy a Tesla and was going to sell his 2000 V70R. Average miles, but well taken care of and had the transmission replaced with a NOS unit not that long ago. Perfect starting point. The very first thing I did was put some VSTs on it and lowered it a hair.

I was dailying it and really enjoying it for about a month.....

Guy was haulin in his bro-Tacoma and literally swiped the bumper straight off the car. Honestly it was pretty surgical. Somehow he clipped the bumper, but didn't touch the fender, hood, headlight or anything else. The downside is that cause it hit the backbar too, it tweaked both frame horns.

That takes us to part 2...

See less See more
#45 ·
Grey works well in the PNW, it matches the weather most of the time. That wrap looks great and the lime green is a really nice change of pace from the usual caliper paint colors.

I just don't get the black wheel trend. Black for contrast against polished or machined features, sure. Maybe even black steelies with trim rings or some pinstripes to set it off. Dark grey is fine. But murdered out alloy wheels just don't do anything for me. If as-cast Torq Thrusts and Dow-7 coated Halibrands were good enough for grandpa, they should be good enough for us, by golly!

#43 ·
What are those tires lol

#44 ·
Just scanned over this thread, very nicely done so far! I really dig the color!

IRONMAN! Only the strongest tires on the market :D.

#71 ·
I've got one of those!

LOL.

I've seen custom adapters machined to use R fronts, but required cutting off the steering stops. Arguably more difficult.

#62 ·
They're on the second page.

Definitely one of the cleaner installs I've seen, but still no steering stops.

#64 ·
#72 ·
Finished the body work on the front bumper.
Shaved the wiper pockets, the plate holes and fixed the corner.
I'm guessing you just put the front plate on the dash? I'd like to do the same but I also like to avoid being hassled by the man whenever possible.

#79 · (Edited)
A little at home spoiler mod CAD work. My idea is to make an 850R style spoiler for the wagon.

My gawd! The shade tree mechanical skill that I possess are a kernel of corn on the dinner plate of your aptitude. [emoji1787][emoji54][emoji2962]

Do you believe it will actually provide some down force as the original 850r did on the sedan.

Also, I'll take that exhaust jig off your hands if you're just going to scrap it [emoji1696]

I really want an exhaust set up like yours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#84 ·
Yes, because it looks cool and some people might like to enhance their wangs.

#87 ·
Im sure you dont need any more ideas for things to build but once upon a time volvo offered extra pieces for the front air dam and bumper on 00 R's that go in the corners of the bumper and had naca ducts to supply air to the brakes......I would be ecstatic to see something along those lines fabbed up

#91 ·
Nicely done! You're giving me ideas now for a valved exhaust... I'm excited to hear how that sounds!

#99 ·
The "stock" exhaust tip is still available from volvo, albeit an updated version from the P1 platform C70:

Volvo C70 Exhaust Tip PN 31321083

A search for a good pic turned up my own install of this tip on a S70:

Theyre about $50 these days.

#100 ·
LOL.
The factory tips are pathetically small for the exhaust opening.

Width of the current tips is good, they simply have to be more elliptical to closely mimic the opening form.
Quad tip could be interesting.

#101 ·
LOL.
The factory tips are pathetically small for the exhaust opening.

Width of the current tips is good, they simply have to be more elliptical to closely mimic the opening form.
Quad tip could be interesting.
This ^^^^. The factory tip just looks like it was washed in hot water. I might need to just make something myself, but it probably needs to be ellipsoid. The pill shape doesn't work for me.

#107 · (Edited)
I think I might've left this off the list, but years ago I developed a special way to tint tail lights. Anything from super light (usually called and Atom special) to dark. I typically tint mine super light. It just takes a hair of the harshness out of bright red tail lights.

I did my personal set really light. It mostly just makes them look fresh and new. I did a junk set darker to use as displays.

You can kinda see in this photo that they look a bit darker indoors (have yet to wrap the bumper).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.