SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New To Me V70R

35K views 302 replies 36 participants last post by  monster451 
#1 ·
Well, since I've had this thing for a while, maybe I should start a thread.

I sold my P2 XC70 to a good friend down in California that needed a new daily.

Around the same time, another friend decided to buy a Tesla and was going to sell his 2000 V70R. Average miles, but well taken care of and had the transmission replaced with a NOS unit not that long ago. Perfect starting point. The very first thing I did was put some VSTs on it and lowered it a hair.

I was dailying it and really enjoying it for about a month.....

Guy was haulin in his bro-Tacoma and literally swiped the bumper straight off the car. Honestly it was pretty surgical. Somehow he clipped the bumper, but didn't touch the fender, hood, headlight or anything else. The downside is that cause it hit the backbar too, it tweaked both frame horns.

That takes us to part 2...

See less See more
#201 ·
Sounds like it's too stripped for him. He probably would have bought it as a complete car with the damage described though. Saffrons are big $ restored in Europe.

#203 ·
Sounds like it's too stripped for him. He probably would have bought it as a complete car with the damage described though. Saffrons are big $ restored in Europe.
It was too something for everyone. Sat on CL in Portland for $1300 for several cycles. No one wanted it cause it was trashed. So, I'm not going to lose any sleep over crushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#212 ·
That’s gonna look really cool when it’s finished up. I really like the jig and clamp bracket you made to finalize the bends in the tube.

Are you planning to mold the top portion of the bumper to the tubes, or make it a separate piece?

#217 ·
Updates:

Got the subframe out of the parts car for my trailer. Got an interesting plan (at least to me) to adapt a one wire alternator to the pinion on the diff to charge a battery bank on the trailer as you tow. Not connected directly to the vehicle wiring for charging. This also will let me have a 6th and 7th matching wheel/tire for extreme problems. As well, it's basically a full set of control arms/suspension in case disaster strikes while camping in the middle of nowhere.

OE XC wheel/tire vs what's on my car

Waiting for the right time to swap the front bumper (and waiting for my vinyl guy to wrap the top cap)

I know this probably won't be popular, but since I'm putting a swing away tire carrier on the back, hatch access is a bit more difficult to access on an every day use case, so I'm replacing this window with an aluminum panel with an access door

Side note: in typical Adam fashion, I made my own tool to pull the three rear windows. My glass guy wanted +/- $350 just to pull the three windows. Soooo, I welded a sharpened putty knife to the end of a dull sawzall blade and got after it. Saved all three windows

In the meantime, I started the rear bumper. I'm making the "base" extra sturdy to attempt to make the swing away carrier stable and the hitch strong. 3" x 5" rectangle tube

That's when I got the idea! If I'm adding this big chunk, why not put it to a secondary use? So I capped the ends, went over the welds a couple times and turned it into a 2.5 gallon air tank. I already planned on having an onboard compressor, so this should help the duty cycle

Filled it up to 100 psi and left it over the weekend. Dropped a couple psi. Could be through the ball valve, but either way, I'm good with it

Had my alternator die on me after some higher than usual revs merging on the freeway and the dipstick popped up spraying oil everywhere. So, swapped the alternator with a P2 160A version and I'm doing the PCV this weekend. I hate doing the PCV. I did them just before selling my last two cars. I'm gonna toss a new timing belt on while I'm taking things apart.

That's where I'm at right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#219 ·
You continue to drop my jaw with your projects. Keep up the good work!

I also am doing a PCV this week and hate having to do so. I made a mistake of buying the budget (20% less than OE)breather tube that wraps around the head last time and after just a year and a half, it's dry rotted and leaking coolant over the front of my motor.

This is on the '99 and they made the system overly complex in my opinion. For my 98 I just used a 5/8" heater cord pipe with a supporting elbow around the head. Much more robust and will never clog.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#225 ·
Did you get the tailgate glass off without breaking it?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.