Questions from a prospective buyer
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 36
    1. #1

      Questions from a prospective buyer

      Hi all! Been enjoying browsing the forum and wanted to get your expertise in a few questions re: the XC60. I test-drove one recently, and had some residual questions.

      If I were to buy one, it would be the XC60 Inscription with the Luxury and Advance packages, the heated steeering wheel and heated rear seats, the exterior styling kit, and the Park Assist Pilot.
      1. I learned of the "driving dynamic" setting (the small knurled wheel behind the start button)...does this really change much? And do you have to reset each time you drive the vehicle, or does the choice persist?
      2. Are there aftermarket add-ins that anyone has used that would give the same look as the Exterior Styling Kit? I've see there are links for the exhaust tips, but hadn't seen anything for the chrome on the front, and the piece on the rear that goes between the exhaust tips.

      3. I've got heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel in my current vehicle, but there is a physical button for them. Anyone transitioned from a vehicle that had an actual physical button for the seat heaters, and now has the screen button for the seats...is it something that bothered you, or you found aggravating?[br/]
      4. How well do the ventilated seats work? I have them currently, and some have complained, as they didn't really understand that it's just a fan that blows the cabin air into the seat. How robust is the fan in these?
      5. Any good resources/YouTube videos of the digital instrument cluster, and the various items that it can/does display? I've searched but didn't find any specific to the XC60 except with regard to the Sensus.Is the digital instrument cluster same/similar as other models, and if so, which ones?

        Thanks for your help! I've probably got more questions, but I can't think of them right now. I appreciate your constructive thoughts!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      Hi all! Been enjoying browsing the forum and wanted to get your expertise in a few questions re: the XC60. I test-drove one recently, and had some residual questions.

      If I were to buy one, it would be the XC60 Inscription with the Luxury and Advance packages, the heated steeering wheel and heated rear seats, the exterior styling kit, and the Park Assist Pilot.
      1. I learned of the "driving dynamic" setting (the small knurled wheel behind the start button)...does this really change much? And do you have to reset each time you drive the vehicle, or does the choice persist?
      2. Are there aftermarket add-ins that anyone has used that would give the same look as the Exterior Styling Kit? I've see there are links for the exhaust tips, but hadn't seen anything for the chrome on the front, and the piece on the rear that goes between the exhaust tips.

      3. I've got heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel in my current vehicle, but there is a physical button for them. Anyone transitioned from a vehicle that had an actual physical button for the seat heaters, and now has the screen button for the seats...is it something that bothered you, or you found aggravating?[br/]
      4. How well do the ventilated seats work? I have them currently, and some have complained, as they didn't really understand that it's just a fan that blows the cabin air into the seat. How robust is the fan in these?
      5. Any good resources/YouTube videos of the digital instrument cluster, and the various items that it can/does display? I've searched but didn't find any specific to the XC60 except with regard to the Sensus.Is the digital instrument cluster same/similar as other models, and if so, which ones?

        Thanks for your help! I've probably got more questions, but I can't think of them right now. I appreciate your constructive thoughts!
      Hi, welcome!

      I'm sure many will join and answer this but since I'm the first, let me start answering and others may pitch in.

      Firstly, the XC60 is an excellent car. All of the additions you don't really need, may be ignored. For example I personally would have skipped the exterior styling kit (1k is too much for 2 pieces of nickel) and the Park Assist Pilot.
      1. The car has multiple driving modes, such as eco, comfort, dynamic and one called individual drive (custom). When you start the car, the Comfort Drive mode is enabled by default. You can switch to whatever mode you desire by pushing that wheel and pushing it again.
      2. Simply put. Yes. Check my thread here
      3.
      4. I did not have a heated steering wheel, nor seats (I live in a rather warm country), but I've driven cars that did. I see no issue with the option being in the main screen. YMMV though. You can see a photo of how this is shown in Sensus screen here.
      5. As above, I don't have that option, however the way it works is that the ventilation system consists of fans in the seats and backrests that draw air through the seat upholstery. I can speak for the heated seats, which were standard in my R-Design, they're okay they do their job.
      6. Not sure I understand the question here. If you're asking for a sensus review, there's a lot of them online, such as this one. And yes, Sensus is pretty much the same on all volvo models.
      Last edited by stocis; 03-14-2020 at 03:30 PM.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    4. #3
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member p07r0457's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      110
      1. The Drive Mode setting does result in noticeable changes to throttle response, sound, and steering feel. It's not as dramatic as I'd like, but it is noticeable. The vehicle defaults to "Comfort" every time you start the engine, so if you prefer a different option you'd have to select it, each time.
      2. Sort of. All the ones I've seen are garbage quality and are just plastic with double stick tape. I don't know why you'd want to desecrate your vehicle with such nonsense.

      3. Not much of a bother. The only benefit to a physical button is I can push it immediately and don't have to worry about any lag on infotainment startup. With the virtual buttons it's best to wait ~30 seconds after starting the car before trying to do anything in the infotainment screen. Once the system is booted up, however, it's great. One feature that minimizes the annoyance is you can save your preferred setting (such as seat ventilation always on) and you can also configure it to automatically heat/cool based on ambient temperature. It's nice getting into my XC60 at night and the heated steering wheel and seat automatically turn on.
      4. They're excellent. I've had ventilated seats in my previous Acura MDX Advance and GMC Sierra Denali, and the Volvo performs much better, on average. The Acura ventilated seats were the least effective; they did work, but basically you only knew they were working because if you turned them off you'd get heat buildup at the small of your back. When on, the heat wouldn't build up, but you wouldn't feel any "cooling" either. The GMC Sierra had actually "air-conditioned" seats and they could get remarkably cold -- colder than the Volvo; however, the system would freeze over and would stop working, frequently. GMC stopped doing A/C seats the following model year and now just does regular ventilation which is less cool but more reliable. The Volvo ventilation is excellent. I can feel it pulling air through, and there is a decent "cooling" effect. I'm extremely pleased with the feature. My wife wanted an XC40 but we didn't buy one because of the absence of ventilated seats.
      5. Probably. Search YouTube. I'd rather go to a dealer and play around with one, in person.

    7. #5
      Junior Member schmitty8225's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Location
      Orlando, Fl
      Posts
      93
      With the cooling seats. If you wear thick jeans you can't feel it that much. With it on full blast it's loud. Other than that I use them 100% of the time I'm in the car.

      Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

    8. #6
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      931
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      Hi all! Been enjoying browsing the forum and wanted to get your expertise in a few questions re: the XC60. I test-drove one recently, and had some residual questions.


      6. Any good resources/YouTube videos of the digital instrument cluster, and the various items that it can/does display? I've searched but didn't find any specific to the XC60 except with regard to the Sensus.Is the digital instrument cluster same/similar as other models, and if so, which ones?

      Thanks for your help! I've probably got more questions, but I can't think of them right now. I appreciate your constructive thoughts![/LIST]

      If you are thinking on displaying the driver's display, you have only two options: navigation or multimedia. That's all, you don't have any options to adjust, zoom, view vehicles or adjust other features, you have to do it all from the touch screen

      Volvo Sensus does not have the capabilities of Mercedes, Audi on the driver's display
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      So Cal, USA
      Posts
      330
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      4. I've got heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel in my current vehicle, but there is a physical button for them. Anyone transitioned from a vehicle that had an actual physical button for the seat heaters, and now has the screen button for the seats...is it something that bothered you, or you found aggravating?
      I owned a Tesla Model S for the past 4 years before coming to my XC60 T8 this past December. Nearly everything in a Tesla is controlled by touch screen that can be. I've owned Lexus, MBZ and BMW all with various ways they each do their UI -- some mfgrs have so many buttons it's like a rocket ship inside (look at a Macon -- yeow.) Each mfgr makes choices how they want their vehicle interface to be accomplished, and every one has it's quirks. I've never found one I think is perfection, so I look for an overall look and feel that I find acceptable across everything, and just adapt to each car I purchase.

      That being said, I'm OK with Volvo using the Sensus touch screen for steering wheel & seat heat/ventilation -- but as I said in my longer XC60 T8 review you'll find elsewhere on this forum, physical buttons may have been a better choice for a few more things, or in this case, just allowing a "long touch" on the screen to turn all seat heat/ventilation off would be an improvement. As it is, you tap perhaps multiple times to make the heat go low/med/high, but have to keep tapping to turn it all back off in sort of a cycle -- whereas e.g. on a well designed smartphone app, you may just have a "3D Touch" or "Long Press" in the same area if you wanted to turn the function off, saving a few taps. It's a minor thing, but not annoying enough I'd ever even think of saying it's a reason I don't like or would not consider an XC60.

      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      6. Any good resources/YouTube videos of the digital instrument cluster, and the various items that it can/does display? I've searched but didn't find any specific to the XC60 except with regard to the Sensus.Is the digital instrument cluster same/similar as other models, and if so, which ones?
      You'll find the IC display varies if you're looking at a T5/T6 (both ICE), or T8 (Hybrid). Unsure which you are looking at or if you're just after a general orientation, and which country you are from (so my US links below may not be as appropriate for you.) I have a T8 which provides more info on the right side of the IC display because of the hybrid/electric combination -- otherwise "the look" and what's possible is pretty much the same across models. There are some variables what can be displayed beyond what you'd expect as the normal things (speed, idiot lights, indicators, etc.), e.g. if you use Apple CarPlay / Android Auto or not. You can put current music with album or station art between the two dials or have current Nav location data there (my choice, which I find very useful so I can keep Apple CarPlay with my music info running on the lower part of the Sensus display most of the time). You can change the theme or look of the IC in several ways. Lots more.


      • When I was researching vehicles last Fall, there were numerous 3rd-party videos you'll find on YouTube that included some quick looks at the IC, but always as part of longer full-vehicle reviews. There were a couple with detailed info on Sensus, but that isn't what you asked about.
      • Volvo also has some number of videos on their site that include bits and pieces of how the IC looks, e.g. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...MmclMjElMjE%3D which is for my 2020 T8 -- just change the model info at the top to get versions for what you are considering.
      • The other place is, look at the Owner's Manual or even the Quick Guide. Unlike some mfgrs (Porsche!), Volvo is great putting all their docs up on the website https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...odel/XC60%20T8. Good photos there and easy to locate explanation of options.


      Don't forget too, if you go with a higher trim level XC60, you may have a HUD that puts complimentary info directly in your line of sight, vs having to look down into the IC or over to the Sensus display for some things. I love my HUD. It's one of the major reasons I have an XC60 vs XC40 today.

      Good luck with your pursuit. It's always fun researching new rides!
      Bert

      Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

    10. #8
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      If you are thinking on displaying the driver's display, you have only two options: navigation or multimedia. That's all, you don't have any options to adjust, zoom, view vehicles or adjust other features, you have to do it all from the touch screen

      Volvo Sensus does not have the capabilities of Mercedes, Audi on the driver's display
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Hi, welcome!

      6. Not sure I understand the question here. If you're asking for a sensus review, there's a lot of them online, such as this one. And yes, Sensus is pretty much the same on all volvo models.
      Thanks for the reply! Regarding Sensus, yes I've found plenty of videos regarding it. What I'm trying to see would be videos of the actual instrument cluster display (speedo.tach, etc), and the various changes/settings that one can affect in its display.

      For example, I understand that the nav screen can be placed in between the tach and speedo...what other things can be displayed/what customizations can one do wit the display? Just hoping to find a video with some details.

    12. #10
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      Thanks for the reply! Regarding Sensus, yes I've found plenty of videos regarding it. What I'm trying to see would be videos of the actual instrument cluster display (speedo.tach, etc), and the various changes/settings that one can affect in its display.

      For example, I understand that the nav screen can be placed in between the tach and speedo...what other things can be displayed/what customizations can one do wit the display? Just hoping to find a video with some details.
      There you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUE6_1VIoO8
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    13. #11
      Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      I owned a Tesla Model S for the past 4 years before coming to my XC60 T8 this past December. Nearly everything in a Tesla is controlled by touch screen that can be. I've owned Lexus, MBZ and BMW all with various ways they each do their UI -- some mfgrs have so many buttons it's like a rocket ship inside (look at a Macon -- yeow.) Each mfgr makes choices how they want their vehicle interface to be accomplished, and every one has it's quirks. I've never found one I think is perfection, so I look for an overall look and feel that I find acceptable across everything, and just adapt to each car I purchase.

      That being said, I'm OK with Volvo using the Sensus touch screen for steering wheel & seat heat/ventilation -- but as I said in my longer XC60 T8 review you'll find elsewhere on this forum, physical buttons may have been a better choice for a few more things, or in this case, just allowing a "long touch" on the screen to turn all seat heat/ventilation off would be an improvement. As it is, you tap perhaps multiple times to make the heat go low/med/high, but have to keep tapping to turn it all back off in sort of a cycle -- whereas e.g. on a well designed smartphone app, you may just have a "3D Touch" or "Long Press" in the same area if you wanted to turn the function off, saving a few taps. It's a minor thing, but not annoying enough I'd ever even think of saying it's a reason I don't like or would not consider an XC60.


      You'll find the IC display varies if you're looking at a T5/T6 (both ICE), or T8 (Hybrid). Unsure which you are looking at or if you're just after a general orientation, and which country you are from (so my US links below may not be as appropriate for you.) I have a T8 which provides more info on the right side of the IC display because of the hybrid/electric combination -- otherwise "the look" and what's possible is pretty much the same across models. There are some variables what can be displayed beyond what you'd expect as the normal things (speed, idiot lights, indicators, etc.), e.g. if you use Apple CarPlay / Android Auto or not. You can put current music with album or station art between the two dials or have current Nav location data there (my choice, which I find very useful so I can keep Apple CarPlay with my music info running on the lower part of the Sensus display most of the time). You can change the theme or look of the IC in several ways. Lots more.


      • When I was researching vehicles last Fall, there were numerous 3rd-party videos you'll find on YouTube that included some quick looks at the IC, but always as part of longer full-vehicle reviews. There were a couple with detailed info on Sensus, but that isn't what you asked about.
      • Volvo also has some number of videos on their site that include bits and pieces of how the IC looks, e.g. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...MmclMjElMjE%3D which is for my 2020 T8 -- just change the model info at the top to get versions for what you are considering.
      • The other place is, look at the Owner's Manual or even the Quick Guide. Unlike some mfgrs (Porsche!), Volvo is great putting all their docs up on the website https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...odel/XC60%20T8. Good photos there and easy to locate explanation of options.


      Don't forget too, if you go with a higher trim level XC60, you may have a HUD that puts complimentary info directly in your line of sight, vs having to look down into the IC or over to the Sensus display for some things. I love my HUD. It's one of the major reasons I have an XC60 vs XC40 today.

      Good luck with your pursuit. It's always fun researching new rides!
      Great info, thanks! US spec model here. I have come around a little with the idea of the seat/wheel heater buttons being on the Sensus, a I have realized post-testdrive that those controls remain on the screen regardless of what else is displayed (in the short test drive, that fact hadn't sunk in).

      Also it seems there's a way to set it so that each time the car is started, it restarts at a saved setting? That would greatly reduce the hassle of having to use the touch scree, and would be an upgrade for me, as my car currently defaults the seat heaters to off when restarting the engine.


      I'd be buying a T5/Advanced and Luxury packages, and it would have the HUD and it makes sense the T8 IC would be different. Thanks for the idea of just looking within some overall videos of the car itself, and looking for those glimpses of the IC...just surprised there aren't more (any?) dedicated videos of what it can do.

      Also thanks for your VERY thorough writeup of your experience with the T8. I skied it, but need to go back through it for some additional tidbits I missed.

    14. #12
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Awesome, thanks! I had found that one, but wasn't certain if the XC60 and XC90 shared the instrument cluster...figured they did, but nice to get that confirmed. Looks like his is a hybrid, but I get the gist of the overall possibilities.

    15. #13
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      Awesome, thanks! I had found that one, but wasn't certain if the XC60 and XC90 shared the instrument cluster...figured they did, but nice to get that confirmed. Looks like his is a hybrid, but I get the gist of the overall possibilities.
      yeah. If you need anything else though, do let me know. And to answer your question above, the setting for heating seats, remains (does not reset). Not sure about the ventilated / steering wheel though, as I don't have it.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      323
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      He's actually correct. The driver screen in the Volvo is not very full featured, especially compared to Audi.

      Not that I care. It's great for my purposes and I love the cabin electronics overall. I suspect most drivers would as well.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    17. #15
      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      [*]The Drive Mode setting does result in noticeable changes to throttle response, sound, and steering feel. It's not as dramatic as I'd like, but it is noticeable. The vehicle defaults to "Comfort" every time you start the engine, so if you prefer a different option you'd have to select it, each time.
      Well that's irritating, that's the way my current car is as well

      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Sort of. All the ones I've seen are garbage quality and are just plastic with double stick tape. I don't know why you'd want to desecrate your vehicle with such nonsense.
      My husband has a Kia Sportage, and did get some of the chrome pieces from Ebay, and they're actually pretty nice looking...and look very factory (and some are actually OEM (or OEM knockoffs). I was concerned when he got the first one that it would look really tacky, but in all honesty, it looks pretty sharp. YMMV.


      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      [*]Not much of a bother. The only benefit to a physical button is I can push it immediately and don't have to worry about any lag on infotainment startup. With the virtual buttons it's best to wait ~30 seconds after starting the car before trying to do anything in the infotainment screen. Once the system is booted up, however, it's great. One feature that minimizes the annoyance is you can save your preferred setting (such as seat ventilation always on) and you can also configure it to automatically heat/cool based on ambient temperature. It's nice getting into my XC60 at night and the heated steering wheel and seat automatically turn on.

      Thanks for the tidbit about having a default setting for the heaters...that would really minimize my discomfort at not having a physical button. That's one of my pet peeves on my current car..it has to be turned on each time (oh, the first world problems we all endure! :-)


      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      [*]They're excellent. I've had ventilated seats in my previous Acura MDX Advance and GMC Sierra Denali, and the Volvo performs much better, on average. The Acura ventilated seats were the least effective; they did work, but basically you only knew they were working because if you turned them off you'd get heat buildup at the small of your back. When on, the heat wouldn't build up, but you wouldn't feel any "cooling" either. The GMC Sierra had actually "air-conditioned" seats and they could get remarkably cold -- colder than the Volvo; however, the system would freeze over and would stop working, frequently. GMC stopped doing A/C seats the following model year and now just does regular ventilation which is less cool but more reliable. The Volvo ventilation is excellent. I can feel it pulling air through, and there is a decent "cooling" effect. I'm extremely pleased with the feature. My wife wanted an XC40 but we didn't buy one because of the absence of ventilated seats.
      Great to hear. I also looked at the XC40, but like you, crossed it off the list for that exact same reason!
      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      I'd rather go to a dealer and play around with one, in person.
      Me too. if I continue down this path, the dealer said they'd loan me the car overnight, so I can really play with it.

    18. #16
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      206
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      He's actually correct. The driver screen in the Volvo is not very full featured, especially compared to Audi.

      Not that I care. It's great for my purposes and I love the cabin electronics overall. I suspect most drivers would as well.
      Yeah, I think anyone who has seen a video or Audi's virtual cockpit (or seen it in person) can appreciate it. OTOH, in order to have it you need to buy an Audi so that's right out....
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

    19. #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Yeah, I think anyone who has seen a video or Audi's virtual cockpit (or seen it in person) can appreciate it. OTOH, in order to have it you need to buy an Audi so that's right out....
      Yeah, I'm not even shopping the Audi, as the closest dealership is over 50 miles away. I had a MINI for 4 years, with the nearest dealer 150 miles away, and while it was a fun car, the idea of having to spend a day for an oil change is no longer in my list of "fun things to do"!

    20. #18
      Just watched the video regarding the keyless entry system, and learned that holding the indentation on the handle (which locks the car) will also roll up the windows and close the sunroof! Cool!

      Is there a corresponding technique that can be done with either the keyfob of the app that wold OPEN the windows and sunroof remotely? My MINI would open all the windows and sunroof if I held the Unlock button on the keyfob.. Was practical in the sense that it allowed you to air the car out prior to entering, but was also a very fun, cool thing to do!

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      So Cal, USA
      Posts
      330
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      Just watched the video regarding the keyless entry system, and learned that holding the indentation on the handle (which locks the car) will also roll up the windows and close the sunroof! Cool!

      Is there a corresponding technique that can be done with either the keyfob of the app that wold OPEN the windows and sunroof remotely? My MINI would open all the windows and sunroof if I held the Unlock button on the keyfob.. Was practical in the sense that it allowed you to air the car out prior to entering, but was also a very fun, cool thing to do!
      Yes, just hold down the unlock button on the FOB.
      Bert

      Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

    22. #20
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      Yes, just hold down the unlock button on the FOB.
      my previous volvo had a light button that turned on the lights only. Wish my current one had that too.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    23. #21
      Junior Member p07r0457's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      110
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      my previous volvo had a light button that turned on the lights only. Wish my current one had that too.
      You can flash lights via the Volvo On Call smartphone app.

    24. #22
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      You can flash lights via the Volvo On Call smartphone app.
      I meant it had a dedicated button on the key fob. VOC is quite different than having the lights turn on instead of having to unlock the car.

      Attachment 59627
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      8
      I found the ventilated seats work very well. I tried them out in a Honda Pilot, on the same day I test drove Volvo's vehicles, they didn't seem to do anything. The Honda sales guy was so confident I would be impressed.

      The only annoyance I have found with them is if you have a passenger and you both try to change the heated/ventilated seat settings at the same time. If you popup the menu for one, the other's gets closed. I am not sure why, the map supports pinch zooming which requires 2 point multi-touch, so the menus should be able to work at the same time from a technical point of view. Perhaps it is another software bug?

      The roller on my previous car (a Subaru) was nice and tactile, but, the clean button free look of the Volvo interior is one of the things that drew me to the brand.

    26. #24
      Junior Member p07r0457's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      110
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      I meant it had a dedicated button on the key fob. VOC is quite different than having the lights turn on instead of having to unlock the car.

      Attachment 59627
      Invalid Attachment specified.


      You can flash the lights without unlocking the car via VOC on the "Map" tab.

    27. #25
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Invalid Attachment specified.

      You can flash the lights without unlocking the car via VOC on the "Map" tab.


      I meant this.. a dedicated lights button. I know how VOC works. a lights button is practical whereas having to open VOC, wait for login etc etc is cumbersome. I don't see the point why they removed it.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    28. #26
      Junior Member p07r0457's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      110
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      I meant this.. a dedicated lights button. I know how VOC works. a lights button is practical whereas having to open VOC, wait for login etc etc is cumbersome. I don't see the point why they removed it.
      Probably because most people don't need/want their car key fob to be as large as and look like a TV remote.

      I can't wait for key fobs to go away, entirely. Apple is releasing a new API that will allow vehicle manufacturers to pair to a smartphone or smar****ch and use that as the key. Excellent.

    29. #27
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Probably because most people don't need/want their car key fob to be as large as and look like a TV remote.

      I can't wait for key fobs to go away, entirely. Apple is releasing a new API that will allow vehicle manufacturers to pair to a smartphone or smar****ch and use that as the key. Excellent.
      they could've used one of the extra spaces on the emergency button side. Anyway pointless discussion.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      Glendale, California, USA
      Posts
      27
      Been following this thread and agree with most. I am now 2 years into my 3 yr lease of a XC60 T-8 Incription loaded except the frame leveling. so late 2018
      a few comments:
      1 have been a volvo driver since 1985 .. hard for me to change ..
      2 I have never as much trouble with a car in my life as i have had with this one, i am sorry to say. the comments online that it is unreliable are correct. They started about 3 months in. none of my other volvos had trouble until year 8 ..
      3 now after several trips to the dealer, things seem to ironed out, and the car is really generally terrific with a couple of exceptions. Some of the trouble was the bad dealer in Pasadena, but i went there with a problem to start with. (new dealer elsewhere is much better).
      4 upgraded seats are amazing .. as others have state. (massage isnt worth it .. never use and it is hard to figure out how to use it)
      5 I now get 16 miles to a charge .. the number of miles left inst correct, but the bar graph seems to be. takes 2.5 hr to charge at 220 v
      6 The head up display is very nice.
      7 the infotainment / Nav is terrible .. the voice recognition really dosnt work well. you cannot enter addresses easily except from your phone. the phone app is really nice. But you cannot use it if you are in the car. if you enter an address on the console like 123 Washington, and it is on E. Washington it will tell you the address doesnt exist. doesn't give you possible. if you are the least bit off entering this info, the system will not find it and you have to keep trying til you get it right. really HORRIBLE. If you send an address to the car from your phone, you have to go through several layers of menus to start the navigation. sometimes it pops up on the top of the screen but usually not. Selecting radio station is difficult. I must emphasize that the app for your phone is really very very good. Completelyl different that the console in the car. if you get even close to the address, it finds it before you finish typing. Again, you must do this before you enter the car., or shut off the car and get out, send the address from the phone, when it is received, you can turn the car back on.
      8 works well with apple car play .. though sometimes you have to start it a few times.
      9 The warning system / drive assist features ARE NOT RELIABLE. This is a big deal for me. I get occasional flashing signals that i am going to hit something and there is nothing around. I have taken it the dealer for this and had software upgrades, and still happens. I was backing out of the driveway and a bike with a full sized adult was coming down the street at a fair rate of speed. If i hadnt seem him, i would have hit him .. the alarm did not go off. I have been using adaptive cruise going 75 mph and i could see traffic was slowing .. but my xc60 was not .. i waited to see if the car would slow, but it became clear that the xc60 was not slowing .. and it would have to slam on the brakes .. so i intervened. This has happened several times. This system works properly 95% of the time .. but if it fails like this 5% of the time, IT CANNOT BE TRUSTED.

      10 i dont like the tight ride .. rocks a lot of some roads ..

      So .... for the price of this car, i do not think it is worth it and i am sorry to say, i will probably leave Volvo when this lease is up .. and this will be very hard for me .. like many of you, my first Volvo saved my wife's life.

    31. #29
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,543
      So .... for the price of this car, i do not think it is worth it ...
      Of course the price is high. You certainly can find many other cars much less than this price.
      But if I plan to spend so much for a car, this car is what I'll get again.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    32. #30
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by tcoates View Post
      Been following this thread and agree with most. I am now 2 years into my 3 yr lease of a XC60 T-8 Incription loaded except the frame leveling. so late 2018
      a few comments:
      1 have been a volvo driver since 1985 .. hard for me to change ..
      2 I have never as much trouble with a car in my life as i have had with this one, i am sorry to say. the comments online that it is unreliable are correct. They started about 3 months in. none of my other volvos had trouble until year 8 ..
      3 now after several trips to the dealer, things seem to ironed out, and the car is really generally terrific with a couple of exceptions. Some of the trouble was the bad dealer in Pasadena, but i went there with a problem to start with. (new dealer elsewhere is much better).
      4 upgraded seats are amazing .. as others have state. (massage isnt worth it .. never use and it is hard to figure out how to use it)
      5 I now get 16 miles to a charge .. the number of miles left inst correct, but the bar graph seems to be. takes 2.5 hr to charge at 220 v
      6 The head up display is very nice.
      7 the infotainment / Nav is terrible .. the voice recognition really dosnt work well. you cannot enter addresses easily except from your phone. the phone app is really nice. But you cannot use it if you are in the car. if you enter an address on the console like 123 Washington, and it is on E. Washington it will tell you the address doesnt exist. doesn't give you possible. if you are the least bit off entering this info, the system will not find it and you have to keep trying til you get it right. really HORRIBLE. If you send an address to the car from your phone, you have to go through several layers of menus to start the navigation. sometimes it pops up on the top of the screen but usually not. Selecting radio station is difficult. I must emphasize that the app for your phone is really very very good. Completelyl different that the console in the car. if you get even close to the address, it finds it before you finish typing. Again, you must do this before you enter the car., or shut off the car and get out, send the address from the phone, when it is received, you can turn the car back on.
      8 works well with apple car play .. though sometimes you have to start it a few times.
      9 The warning system / drive assist features ARE NOT RELIABLE. This is a big deal for me. I get occasional flashing signals that i am going to hit something and there is nothing around. I have taken it the dealer for this and had software upgrades, and still happens. I was backing out of the driveway and a bike with a full sized adult was coming down the street at a fair rate of speed. If i hadnt seem him, i would have hit him .. the alarm did not go off. I have been using adaptive cruise going 75 mph and i could see traffic was slowing .. but my xc60 was not .. i waited to see if the car would slow, but it became clear that the xc60 was not slowing .. and it would have to slam on the brakes .. so i intervened. This has happened several times. This system works properly 95% of the time .. but if it fails like this 5% of the time, IT CANNOT BE TRUSTED.

      10 i dont like the tight ride .. rocks a lot of some roads ..

      So .... for the price of this car, i do not think it is worth it and i am sorry to say, i will probably leave Volvo when this lease is up .. and this will be very hard for me .. like many of you, my first Volvo saved my wife's life.
      1. Since 2009
      2. No issues here.
      3. I agree.. A crap dealer somewhere cannot reflect the brand.
      4. R-Design seats are marvelous.
      5. wish I could've afford a hybrid. that sounds too good.
      6. that too.
      7. fully agree about the satnav. its a piece of crap. voice recognition is the best if you use siri. I've came to the realization that the stock v/r is fine if you use it for typicalities such as call mom, i'm hot/cold for the a/c, take me home and so on.
      8. had no issues with carplay whatsoever.
      9. 3 days after i got my car, someone blocked the road trying to make an illegal left turn. before i even blinked at him, the car slammed the breaks and the seat-belt was retracted but not blocked like in the old days. A mechanism in the seatbelt tightens the seatbelt in the event of a sufficiently violent collision. It pulled me so tight I felt like even if I rammed through her, I'd be ok. Also note that there's this going on. Maybe you're one.

      I agree with @FusionRedXC60. Especially after seeing what other options I had/have with my money at the time, this was and is the best choice imho.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    33. #31
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      931
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Of course the price is high. You certainly can find many other cars much less than this price.
      But if I plan to spend so much for a car, this car is what I'll get again.
      When someone who has been driving a Volvo since 1985 has write a comment like this, you have to appreciate and respect that
      To drive Volvo models for 35 years is for respect

      Of course there are a lot cheaper cars, even twice cheaper
      But when you give a lot of money you expect quality, not problems, but it's normal that there are problems with new cars, but then you also need to have an excellent service network, expert and friendly service, which is not the case with Volvo
      Unlike you, I will never buy this car brand again
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    34. #32
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      When someone who has been driving a Volvo since 1985 has write a comment like this, you have to appreciate and respect that
      To drive Volvo models for 35 years is for respect

      Of course there are a lot cheaper cars, even twice cheaper
      But when you give a lot of money you expect quality, not problems, but it's normal that there are problems with new cars, but then you also need to have an excellent service network, expert and friendly service, which is not the case with Volvo
      Unlike you, I will never buy this car brand again
      From the thousands of members in this forum and hundreds specifically for XC60, only you are the one who has been constantly saying the same thing over and over again.
      Sell your car, buy yourself your audi and get on with it. Stop picking fights every single day.
      We get it. You hate your car and you hate Volvo. We don't!
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    35. #33
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      931
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      From the thousands of members in this forum and hundreds specifically for XC60, only you are the one who has been constantly saying the same thing over and over again.
      Sell your car, buy yourself your audi and get on with it. Stop picking fights every single day.
      We get it. You hate your car and you hate Volvo. We don't!
      Do you have a problem ??

      Just skip my post, don't read, you'll be much better
      Enjoy life, don't get nervous, it's not good for health
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    36. #34
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      240
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Do you have a problem ??

      Just skip my post, don't read, you'll be much better
      Enjoy life, don't get nervous, it's not good for health
      No problems here. Just stating the obvious.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    37. #35
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      931
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      No problems here. Just stating the obvious.
      Excellent
      As far as I know, I didn't write anything bad, I didn't offend anyone personally
      We are all entitled to our opinion and expression, as long as it is within the bounds of decent behavior
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Prospective buyer - 2004 S60R long-term reliability?
      By e30_325is in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 01-21-2007, 08:46 PM
    2. Prospective Volvo s60 buyer- need advice
      By zestygreek in forum S60 (2001-2010)
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 10-16-2006, 12:39 PM
    3. Any tips for a prospective 2003 C-70 buyer
      By stuff99999 in forum VCOA General Forum
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
    4. V70 T5 questions from prospective buyer
      By likevolvos in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 11-02-2004, 08:43 AM
    5. HI, I'm new - Prospective buyer
      By not_too_shabby in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 06-21-2004, 12:10 AM