What's this noise?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What's this noise?

2009 XC90 V8 R-Design, 81K miles

Just last week my local Volvo dealer did the following repairs:

- Left and Right valve cover gaskets (this required removal of intake manifold, so new intake gaskets as well)
      - New low and high pressure power steering lines. High pressure line was leaking. This included the two O-rings at the pump and new Volvo OE power steering fluid.

While engine was suspended and the cradle was down, we also did:
      - new OE serpentine belt, two new pulley bearings and tensioner
      - new Bosch rebuilt alternator (from FCP).

I had bought a used alternator with the optional air intake and protective aluminum shield, so I transferred these parts before handing it off to the tech. The plastic snorkel and aluminum shield have an MSRP of $100+ each! The black plastic cover with the Volvo logo that goes on the back of the alternator is also required in order to fit the snorkel and shield. The FCP Bosch rebuild does not come with the correct cover.

- inspected all engine mounts. No cracks, no leaks.
      - installed a new anti-sway bar.

When I picked up the car from the repairs, it had this sound at cold start and high idle only.

I dismissed it at first, figuring it must be the new belt, and drove away. But the groan/whine is there at every cold start. Sound goes completely away and cannot be reproduced until engine is stone cold again.

What can it be?

(PS. The car is going back to the dealer next week)

Last edited by PAX5; 03-19-2020 at 08:31 AM.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds like your power steering pump return line (low Pressure ) o-ring is leaking and it`s pulling air past it. That o-ring is finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Sounds like your power steering pump return line (low Pressure ) o-ring is leaking and it`s pulling air past it. That o-ring is finicky.
      Does that mean that the pump is bad also?

I see no air bubbles (cavitation) in the PS reservoir.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It could be that something is not tight
      Like a bolt was left loose maybe
      That sound is like ones you’ll hear on a vehicle with a loose bracket or even If the plastic covers over engine are not pushed down all the way onto the nipples that hold them in place
      The dealership in Manasquan New Jersey told us all sorts of things about our Volvo turns out the balance shaft bearings were shot but they claimed it needed an entirely new motor it was gonna be $15,000 plus about 6000 for labor so the writer in the same breath says just bring the car down with the title and will give you a few dollars for it and then you can get into a brand new Volvo I about came through the phone I was so mad I couldn’t speak for an hour I didn’t call him back for A few days he calls me back says what do you want to do I says I want the motor fixed or no I camping we went back-and-forth for a week or more finally I guess he figured I better do something with this guy‘s car so he calls me and says you got full coverage I said yeah I got full coverage all that’s good because it turns out a mouse got in the value of the engine and caused all this problem so we’ll just call the insurance company and they’ll pay for it turns out miraculously now the engine could be fixed which is what they did cost almost $12,000 my deductible was $100 but later when I got the car back after poking around I saw one stud on the intake plenum Was sticking up an inch the guy never Ran it down So what else did the guy leave loose underneath in there you know anyway it’s run fine sense but it’s very frustrating to go to a dealership and pay all that money and you get guys that are seemingly smoking dope

Quote Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
      Does that mean that the pump is bad also?

I see no air bubbles (cavitation) in the PS reservoir.
      It`s a fairly common occurrence if that`s what it is. Pump would be fine. Usually happens on on cold days and goes away after a minute or two. Search for power steering whine.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...steering+whine
      Last edited by Thommykent; 03-14-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Sounds to me like a belt is sawing on one of those hoses??? I would check to see if any are dangerously close...might be that, when you turn engine faster, the belt moves out of the way? Also the o-ring thing.

'17 S90 Inscription T6; Mussel Blue/Black; Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ tires.

'18 Porsche 918 Cayman GTS; GT Silver/Black
      '17 BMW R1200RT LC
      '00 Aprilia RSC Mille R

Get you hearing checked

Mine sounded like that for about a year before I had to replace the PS pump on my V8 It will get worse though as time goes on.

I've been hearing the same sound on my 2008 V8 cold starts during this winter (the sound is gone after a few minutes and never returns until the next cold start). I had already replaced the power steering reservoir along with fresh fluid in lieu of simply cleaning the filter as a potential remedy, without success. With the new power steering lines and O-rings from your dealer, one would assume it's not the recurring "cracked hose or incorrectly fitted rings" as mentioned on a few of the other PS-related threads, but hopefully it's as simple as that.

I am at the mileage milestone for a new power steering pump, water pump, and valve gasket job now that I'm well into my 200,000 miles, so I'll be following this thread to see what you find out.

Time for some CoFe2
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive w/2013+ Refresh | IPD Front/Rear Sway Bars and Strut Conversion Kit | Rigid Industries SR/SR2 Combo Light Bars | Thule Canyon Rack | Borla XR-1 w/ Cut-Out |205k miles and counting..

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzeStrom_Terp View Post
      I've been hearing the same sound on my 2008 V8 cold starts during this winter (the sound is gone after a few minutes and never returns until the next cold start). I had already replaced the power steering reservoir along with fresh fluid in lieu of simply cleaning the filter as a potential remedy, without success. With the new power steering lines and O-rings from your dealer, one would assume it's not the recurring "cracked hose or incorrectly fitted rings" as mentioned on a few of the other PS-related threads, but hopefully it's as simple as that.

I am at the mileage milestone for a new power steering pump, water pump, and valve gasket job now that I'm well into my 200,000 miles, so I'll be following this thread to see what you find out.

Time for some CoFe2
      It's still in the shop ...

Two techs listened to it yesterday, and could not say with absolute certainty where the noise was coming from. But then again, they both admitted that they haven't performed any service on a V8 in many years. I made them aware of Volvo service bulletin no. 328338 for the S80.

But ... since the complete high and low pressure power steering lines were replaced, including the two O-rings at the pump, I am starting wonder if the two O-rings may have been interchanged. It turns out that the two O-rings are identical in size, but a different color. One is intended for the the supply line and the other for the return line:

• Pressure Line O Ring, blue green in color – p/n 988119
      • Pressure Line O-Ring, brown red in color – p/n 988121

It's entirely possible that the two were interchanged during the installation. You know how most techs are: rip open package/box ... ignore any instructions ... and install. Time is money.

I'll find out more today.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

But ... since the complete high and low pressure power steering lines were replaced.........
      New hoses? I wonder about skiving; where the layers of hose material is damaged when the barb fitting is inserted into the high pressure hose when made. Some material may be lifted inside and the hose essentially becomes a reed instrument.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      New hoses? I wonder about skiving; where the layers of hose material is damaged when the barb fitting is inserted into the high pressure hose when made. Some material may be lifted inside and the hose essentially becomes a reed instrument.
      I'm not following ... what is "skiving"?

There are no barb fittings on this Volvo power steering line.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

... what is "skiving"?
      I was going to say "There's a word you don't hear every day". It means to shave off a thin layer. When they install the fitting on the end of the hose, the part that goes inside the hose can shave a thin piece of the hose liner back and leave a flap inside the hose. In the aircraft world, we use a mandrel that fits into the fitting and makes the inner part into a smooth, blunt instrument. They only work on straight fittings, though, and most automotive hoses are not made with that degree of care.
      Last edited by John C; 03-19-2020 at 03:45 PM.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 175,000 miles and counting...

There are no barb fittings on this Volvo power steering line.
      The fittings that are swaged on at the factory have sections that go into the hose itself. There is some kind of barb on any fitting that goes inside a hose. At the very least, it would be a number of machined annular rings. There must be some kind of "tooth" to keep a rubber lined hose from slipping off a metal fitting integrated into the end of a hose assembly, regardless of the clamping method.
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Just for grins.....pull the oil dipstick when its making this noise. Does it suddenly disappear? If not, then completely ignore the rest of this post.

The sound (from what I can hear on the video) is very similar to the sound the various Volvo T5's make when the diaphragm in the PCV box fails. The engine vacuum is applied to the crankcase and causes various rubber o-rings and seals to howl or squeal. Pulling the dipstick or the oil fill cap eliminates the vacuum and the noise disappears.

The PCV valve on the back valve cover of these V8's is made of the exact same material as the one in the T5's which often fail around 60K miles. I found mine ruptured this past weekend (225K on the odometer, so it lived a good life).

Quote Originally Posted by beernose View Post
      Just for grins.....pull the oil dipstick when its making this noise. Does it suddenly disappear? If not, then completely ignore the rest of this post.

The sound (from what I can hear on the video) is very similar to the sound the various Volvo T5's make when the diaphragm in the PCV box fails. The engine vacuum is applied to the crankcase and causes various rubber o-rings and seals to howl or squeal. Pulling the dipstick or the oil fill cap eliminates the vacuum and the noise disappears.

The PCV valve on the back valve cover of these V8's is made of the exact same material as the one in the T5's which often fail around 60K miles. I found mine ruptured this past weekend (225K on the odometer, so it lived a good life).
      Is this PCV valve difficult to replace?
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

Is this PCV valve difficult to replace?
      Here you go. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...007-s80-v8-pcv

I would not suspect it in a v8 as a problem though. I’ve had two t5 failures and pulling the stick will tell you right away. I would be looking at your new alternator especially if that noise doesn’t change while turning the wheel.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      ... I would be looking at your new alternator especially if that noise doesn’t change while turning the wheel.
      Fingers crossed that's NOT the case! This is probably one of the most time consuming and expensive repairs one can do on this engine.

I planned the alternator exchange while the cradle was down. It only cost one hour of additional labor. FCP may have a Life Time warranty on this part, but that doesn't cover the labor to remove and replace again.

So bad bearing in alternator?

But, a bad bearing noise would be constant, not go away as the engine warms up. Same for the other bearing parts I replaced: two idle pulley bearings and spring tensioner.

What's a good way to test these bearings, other than using a long screw driver and putting this to your ear while the engine is running ... lol!
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

What's a good way to test these bearings, other than using a long screw driver and putting this to your ear while the engine is running ... lol!
      That really is the best way, but one of these cheap stethoscopes from Harbor Freight is better than the screw driver.
      https://www.harborfreight.com/Mechan...ope-63691.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      That really is the best way, but one of these cheap stethoscopes from Harbor Freight is better than the screw driver.
      https://www.harborfreight.com/Mechan...ope-63691.html
      FWIW, back in my pro days, I found that taking the probe assembly off the tube was much more helpful than the probe itself. EVERYTHING is noisy using the probe. Just move the hose around carefully, and you can zero in on the source nicely, in most cases. If you hit the hose on any solid object, your ears won't enjoy the loud "POP".

Got the car back ...

Until further notice, dealership is closed because of COVID-19.

Gives me a chance to play around with it a little before I bring it back:

So far I tried:

- cold start ==> high idle ==> noise ==> pull dip stick: no difference, noise is still present
      - cold start ==> high idle ==> noise ==> unscrew oil cap, remove: no difference, noise is still present
      - cold start ==> high idle ==> noise ==> move steering wheel left and right: no difference, noise remains

By now it comes off high idle and noise disappears completely.

Rev engine a little ... nothing. Super smooth, sounds normal.

Drive 30 miles: nothing, no noise, smooth, normal idle.

Next step?

Will be getting a mechanics stethoscope as suggested.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      FWIW, back in my pro days, I found that taking the probe assembly off the tube was much more helpful than the probe itself. EVERYTHING is noisy using the probe. Just move the hose around carefully, and you can zero in on the source nicely, in most cases. If you hit the hose on any solid object, your ears won't enjoy the loud "POP".
      I liked the probe, you can get down deep and put it on the bolt head holding the pulleys on, it`s obvious from the rumble if it`s a bad bearing. Same with Alternator, Water Pump and AC Compressor, touch the probe to the case and you`ll know if it`s bad. I know what you mean though, if you touch something you don`t want touched it is annoying to the ears.

Got the car back ...

Until further notice, dealership is closed because of COVID-19.

Gives me a chance to play around with it a little before I bring it back:

So far I tried:

- cold start ==> high idle ==> noise ==> pull dip stick: no difference, noise is still present
      - cold start ==> high idle ==> noise ==> unscrew oil cap, remove: no difference, noise is still present
      - cold start ==> high idle ==> noise ==> move steering wheel left and right: no difference, noise remains

By now it comes off high idle and noise disappears completely.

Rev engine a little ... nothing. Super smooth, sounds normal.

Drive 30 miles: nothing, no noise, smooth, normal idle.

Next step?

Will be getting a mechanics stethoscope as suggested.
      Take a look at this thread.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...steering+noise

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements