2009 XC90 V8 R-Design, 81K miles
Just last week my local Volvo dealer did the following repairs:
- Left and Right valve cover gaskets (this required removal of intake manifold, so new intake gaskets as well)
- New low and high pressure power steering lines. High pressure line was leaking. This included the two O-rings at the pump and new Volvo OE power steering fluid.
While engine was suspended and the cradle was down, we also did:
- new OE serpentine belt, two new pulley bearings and tensioner
- new Bosch rebuilt alternator (from FCP).
I had bought a used alternator with the optional air intake and protective aluminum shield, so I transferred these parts before handing it off to the tech. The plastic snorkel and aluminum shield have an MSRP of $100+ each! The black plastic cover with the Volvo logo that goes on the back of the alternator is also required in order to fit the snorkel and shield. The FCP Bosch rebuild does not come with the correct cover.
- inspected all engine mounts. No cracks, no leaks.
- installed a new anti-sway bar.
When I picked up the car from the repairs, it had this sound at cold start and high idle only.
I dismissed it at first, figuring it must be the new belt, and drove away. But the groan/whine is there at every cold start. Sound goes completely away and cannot be reproduced until engine is stone cold again.
What can it be?
(PS. The car is going back to the dealer next week)