Non-Car Project Show Off Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

It was suggested that we start a thread for people to show off some their non-car handiwork. Letís give it a shot. Whatever you do that you want to show, letís see it!

Hereís a starting point.

I needed to upgrade my hot sauce box, so I CNCed some HDPE for the base and green edge acrylic for the layers.

Hereís some wall panels I made some years back to cover up some ugly hardwood paneling. Before our remodel

I built a deck a few years ago after we remodeled our house. Needed some extra outside space.

I machined a new house number plate after the remodel as well. (green edge acrylic seems to be a common theme for me)

Hereís a couple Halloween costumes. A year apart. The sword is CNCed MDF and acrylic with LED edge lighting and batteries in the handle. The samurai costume I sewed from some sweats and the armor is gold foil glued to cardboard and zip tied together. Oh, and a used baseball helmet

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

All are very impressive. The Halloween costumes especially creative. And I love the style of the numbers in the house number plate. Iím really glad you started this thread. I enjoy seeing personal projects and creativity.

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

My chairs, all done properly using traditional techniques

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      My chairs, all done properly using traditional techniques
      Beautiful work.

The chairs are beautiful. The teddy bear looks very comfy. Really, really nice work!

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Just bought this yesterday. Itís an Alienware m7700 d900t. Itís got a pentium 4 desktop cpu running at 3.6ghz and a desktop gpu Nvidia GeForce 6800 ultra. Itís a monster of a system. 17inch and it weighs 12 pounds! I cleaned it up and ordered a sata caddy so I can install a ssd. Will be a cool laptop to have. I collect laptops, refurbish them to keep and sell.

this is an old picture. I have about 24 laptops now.

Sent from my Nokia 3310
      Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
      Psalm 23:4

2005 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 AT
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T AT

Also refreshed a ibm aptiva I have. It used to be tan. Now itís ibm thinkcenter colors. Upgraded the internals as well. Should be very overkill for windows 98 gaming

Sent from my Nokia 3310
      Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

2007 Volvo V70 2.5T AT

Yaaassss this thread is gonna be good

Quote Originally Posted by KDM Mods View Post

this is an old picture. I have about 24 laptops now.
      Nice ThinkPad collection. I've got a P51, W520, and T60p in service these days. I don't really collect them but I've had a few others over the years (R60, W530, W541) but the W520 and T60p have stuck around to run W7 and XP legacy software.

I think I see some X series in there, too. Are those any good? Been thinking about grabbing one as a compact VIDA machine I can keep permanently in my S60. My W520 is the VIDA machine these days and it's annoying to deal with in the car.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Yaaassss this thread is gonna be good

Nice ThinkPad collection. I've got a P51, W520, and T60p in service these days. I don't really collect them but I've had a few others over the years (R60, W530, W541) but the W520 and T60p have stuck around to run W7 and XP legacy software.

I think I see some X series in there, too. Are those any good? Been thinking about grabbing one as a compact VIDA machine I can keep permanently in my S60. My W520 is the VIDA machine these days and it's annoying to deal with in the car.
      Yes I do have a few x series. 8 have a x230t maxed out. Probably going to sell that. Then I have 2 x120e. Those are terrible to be honest. The one is a dual core which is usable but the other is a single core. I actually ran it over with a car. Only had to replace the display. Still works perfectly lol.

I bought a t60p cheap and maxed it out. I used it for a little while but Iím probably going to sell that one as well.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

2007 Volvo V70 2.5T AT

Smoked some corned beef briskets. Center cut. Thatís Trader Joeís grainy mustard spread on top, makes a killer crust

Some of you have had my barbecue at Carlisle, others at various volvo friends and family get togethers. What would you like to see next?

2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 205k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post

Smoked some corned beef briskets. Center cut. Thatís Trader Joeís grainy mustard spread on top, makes a killer crust

Some of you have had my barbecue at Carlisle, others at various volvo friends and family get togethers. What would you like to see next?

Pork belly. Also, are you willing to share your cooking info?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Nonis View Post
      Pork belly. Also, are you willing to share your cooking info?
      Chashu pork is on the list. My friend down the road with the Sonic S60R is a ramen enthusiast and Iím not far behind. Weíll be tackling it soon. Any ingredients lists and techniques can certainly be shared. I donít often use recipes for a lot of my cooking so thatís the next best thing I can offer.

2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 205k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned

Chashu pork is on the list. My friend down the road with the Sonic S60R is a ramen enthusiast and Iím not far behind. Weíll be tackling it soon. Any ingredients lists and techniques can certainly be shared. I donít often use recipes for a lot of my cooking so thatís the next best thing I can offer.

Iíve done brisket a handful of times and got it down ok. Pork belly has never quite turned out right for me. I mean, itís good, but canít quite get the bark Iíd like. I also havenít tried a mustard based rub. Gonna have to do that at least once as well. Do you use straight wood, or pellets, or other?
      Last edited by Adam.Nonis; 03-16-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Some of that... on a plate... in front of me Looks awesome man, must admit I had a Pavlovian response when I saw the pics LOL...
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Nonis View Post
      Iíve done brisket a handful of times and got it down ok. Pork belly has never quite turned out right for me. I mean, itís good, but canít quite get the bark Iíd like. I also havenít tried a mustard based rub. Gonna have to do that at least once as well. Do you use straight wood, or pellets, or other?
      Competition charcoal and soaked wood chips.

So, no garlic at the store. Thatís more concerning to me than a lot of other shortages. Guess itís gonna be a short rib kinda day:

Now, add 8 hours.

End result:

Very good. Highly recommend!

Whole Hog Barbecue... This one has ~30lbs of chicken stuffed in its cavity.

Current:
      1998 S70 GLT: T5 ECU || 16T Turbo || White Injectors || Snabb RIP Kit || Snabb Fresh Air Pipe || Bilstein Touring || Eibach Lowering Springs || 17Ē Neptunes

2007 V70 2.5T: Snabb Fresh Air Pipe || BC Racing Coilovers

Previous: 2006 V70 2.5T, 2011 C70 T5, 2012 S60 T5, 2000 S70 GLT/SE

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_volvos View Post
      Whole Hog Barbecue... This one has ~30lbs of chicken stuffed in its cavity.

Beautiful

Not my project, but helped out a friend with his Olson 30 sailboat. He's raced it pretty hard over the past several years and the keel flex has led to some water ingress to the fiberglass. He's fixed it a couple times in years past with fairing filler but just yesterday went big and did a fresh fiberglass layup. Dug into the old filler today and found the rotted fiberglass and started sanding and grinding away to prep for new filler and maybe more glass. Many more days to go...

1996 854R | M56H | 16T | 267k

Shelter at home... Ok great!

That's really impressive and scary at the same time. I'd be in trouble on a weekend.
      Anyone ever try Xilli? It's awful by itself, so looking to have something I can use it in to make it more tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      Shelter at home... Ok great!
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

About 7 or 8 years ago, my banjo playing started getting to the point that the playability issues with my first banjo were holding back my playing. I was starting to get into a lot of the more progressive playing (Bťla Fleck, Noam Pikelny, Tony Trischka, etc.) and some of the things I was trying to learn were literally hurting my hands. They all had banjos with radiused and slightly wider fingerboards than standard, and a lot of them were putting these modern necks on old Gibson "pots" (what we call the round part of the banjo in banjoland) so of course that's what I wanted, too. However, that definitely did not fit with 18 year-old me's budget, so I set to work.

Luckily, Gibson-style banjos are like cars, in that they largely bolt together, so they're pretty easy to put various parts together to get what you want. I found a pot from a 50s Gibson tenor banjo, and I completed that with a few reproductions of prewar Gibson parts. The resonator (the cover over the back of the pot) was originally a reproduction but that has since been replaced with what is believed to be an original prewar Gibson resonator. The old instrument thing is not hype - it made a huge difference in sound. The neck I built myself. It was an adventure of a project in our shop since we're set up for metal. We can and do work in wood as needed, but it's mostly just stuff for our boats which is really easy by comparison. Many things were not being used as intended lol. But, as is typical with my projects, the end product far exceeded what you would expect given the budget.

Just in case anyone is wondering, yes, the peghead says Gibson. It is customary for banjo pegheads to bear the name of whoever's parts the pot is built from.

Note the sanding block at the top of the picture. It's a special radiused sanding block. This particular one has a 7ľ" radius.

Drilling into the neck for the lag bolts that are used to attach the neck to the pot. Getting this angle right is critical. Luckily a banjoist I know locally had a spec sheet from one of the leading builders of necks for the progressive players so I could get the angle right, but we still had to figure out how to set it up. Ended up using a level and a bevel gauge to set the drill press table at like 87į or so off of horizontal.

1 ton Arbor press for frets? Seems legit...

My dad had a huge revenue project happening in the shop concurrently for a restoration in Tunisia of all places. This is more typical of a crazy project for us.

A couple years later I got sick of the crappy stand I had been using and built this rack to keep them on. Luckily I left some space for future expansion. Only had two when I built this. That's my first banjo in the back, currently set up as a ghetto cello banjo with classical guitar strings, although a couple of them are broken at the moment since they don't last long on this thing and I haven't played it in a while. I'd like to add a second regular banjo to round out the collection at some point because banjos are like cars: only having one is for people with a warranty!

(don't mind the trash on the floor.....I am cleaning up my office and tripped over the trash bin right before I took this lol. Coronavirus has been great for cleanups; my dad used to use this room as his office and some parts of it haven't been touched since moved his office upstairs in 1998!)

Last edited by JaredR; 03-26-2020 at 08:56 PM.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Impressive, Jared. Well done.
      I hear banjo and I do think of you.
      Bill Monroe?

That brass thing looks impressive. What does it for? Sailboat stuff?
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

I am not in the right place to have my question answered but I am going to post it anyway and hope that it will be either answered or I will be told how to post it correctly and in the right place!
      I have a 79 Volvo 262c Bertone and I am not able to locate the fuel pump fuse and I am very desperate to find it and get it fixed soon as possible. I have been restoring it for over 5 years from the ground up and inside and out. I have parts in several locations that have been places that work has been done and I am sadly not sure where the fuse cover is located at least at this point. But I was able to look up a diagram of the inside drivers side fuse index and it doesn't show any fuel pump fuse on the inside of the car. I've been reading the entire site and everyone's questions and the answers they have received from other Volvo enthusiasts and I am really praying and very hopeful that I will get the help for the question that is driving me crazy and I will hopefully be able to fix it myself and for a reasonable price, along with locating the fuse very quickly and easily at a suggested company and or site? I am really sorry for the lengthy message and I am very positive that I am not putting this in the right place for a easy reply and answer. But I have been trying everything that I can do to ensure that I am publishing it in the right place for the best possible results for the location and the fuse availability and everything that I need to do and know in order to get the fuse and fix it properly in a timely manner.
      Thank everyone for your time and effort for taking the time to read my lengthy message and I am really sorry but I just want to ensure that I am really getting my questions and inquiries across in a manner that everyone is able to understand exactly what I am asking and talking about.
      Thank you for your patience with me and I am really hoping that at least one individual will have the ability to answer my questions and concerns about the location of the fuel pump fuses location and the best possible place to get a new one?
      Sincerely appreciate your time to read this and do everything possible to assist me in this quest and position I find myself in. Especially so soon after my mothers passing and I really want to get my mind off of my loss.
      Thank you again
      Sincere thanks and appreciation for any assistance you can offer!
      Sincerely
      Christopher Parks

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements