Looks like there's a new performance air filter on the market.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looks like there's a new performance air filter on the market.

This is pretty awesome. Looks nice. Supposed to be better than K&N.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      05 S60R MT - Catless - Snabb Intake hose - Elevate AMS - Elevate CBV - Custom Quad Exhaust - Custom Diffuser - Not Pegs - PCC Spoiler - CFW Front splitter - Eibach lowering springs - Elevate sways - more...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrutal View Post
      This is pretty awesome. Looks nice. Supposed to be better than K&N.
      Saw this in one of the R groups on Facebook. Looks to be a really well designed piece and dry media to boot. Won't have to worry about coating the MAF in oil!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

love the pattern and its a dry media no oil.

just placed an order, i'll post up details on fitment and such once i get it.
      2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - Electric Silver - Muffler/Resonator Delete
      2007 XC70 - Ice White - Stage I Shark Tune - Muffler Delete

Im thinking about ordering one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MN-TURBOR View Post
      love the pattern and its a dry media no oil.

just placed an order, i'll post up details on fitment and such once i get it.
      Please do! Looking forward to it!
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

Does it actually flow better than the OEM filter? Seems like it's just an appearance thing.
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere
      TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TristanScott View Post
      Does it actually flow better than the OEM filter? Seems like it's just an appearance thing.
      I found out that the filters are good for over 600 HP. Apparently it's the same filter material some people use on performance GTRs and the like. It's not just for show. Washable and non-oiled
      05 S60R MT - Catless - Snabb Intake hose - Elevate AMS - Elevate CBV - Custom Quad Exhaust - Custom Diffuser - Not Pegs - PCC Spoiler - CFW Front splitter - Eibach lowering springs - Elevate sways - more...

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrutal View Post
      I found out that the filters are good for over 600 HP. Apparently it's the same filter material some people use on performance GTRs and the like. It's not just for show. Washable and non-oiled
      That's good to know.
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)

be careful boyz, that special air-filter could produce whole lot of heep of boost powa that your R might not be able to handle.

1997 Avalon
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      be careful boyz, that special air-filter could produce whole lot of heep of boost powa that your R might not be able to handle.

Seems too good to be true!
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Seems too good to be true!
      So found out a little more info; The media they use has a 97% cumulative efficiency rating based on ISO 5011 standards per their manufacture and the filter was designed in CAD.

They also mentioned that its a synthetic non-woven multi-layer structure. So no cotton, paper or foam like most other filters on the market.

Definitely different than your standard aftermarket approach. Sounds like this one might be a winner. This might give me an excuse to sell my Elevate intake and put the stock airbox back in and end up ahead
      Last edited by 5cylindersymphony; 03-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Nice filter.

Performance wise what does it offer and on a boosted vehicle, just how much does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ImportService View Post
      Nice filter.

Performance wise what does it offer and on a boosted vehicle, just how much does it really matter?
      Zero... if you're sticking with a stock MAF housing this filter is absolutely useless and inferior filtration wise to stock OEM filter.
      1997 Avalon
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone

The only benefit from my point of view is after your 4th filter replacement interval (actually washing this one) You'll start saving yourself money

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      Zero... if you're sticking with a stock MAF housing this filter is absolutely useless and inferior filtration wise to stock OEM filter.
      I think there are a lot of us running around that have had issues with the Elevate AMS system that are looking to go back to stock airbox. The only decent filter option is K&N, but it destroys MAFs and ends up costing you money.

This filter seems to bridge the gap of running the factory box with a high flow filter. For a performance minded individual, this is a no brainer. Not trying to ruffle your feathers, just my perspective.

But how many of you are running stock airbox and actually need that flow? I'm in the process of having contrast do my stage 2 tune and I'm running a stock OEM filter in the stock OEM box. After my first pull and sending him that log, he noted that everything looked really great on my setup. If I needed more flow, I would make a custom box or buy the one that Snabb sells with the Audi S4 MAF.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying this just sharing my point of view.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

But how many of you are running stock airbox and actually need that flow? I'm in the process of having contrast do my stage 2 tune and I'm running a stock OEM filter in the stock OEM box. After my first pull and sending him that log, he noted that everything looked really great on my setup. If I needed more flow, I would make a custom box or buy the one that Snabb sells with the Audi S4 MAF.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying this just sharing my point of view.

Restriction, Restriction, Restriction. We have forced induction vehicles; Restriction is always the enemy. If I can reduce restriction before the MAF and even add a few HP while getting rid of the issues with the Elevate intake, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5cylindersymphony View Post
      Restriction, Restriction, Restriction. We have forced induction vehicles; Restriction is always the enemy. If I can reduce restriction before the MAF and even add a few HP while getting rid of the issues with the Elevate intake, I'll take it.
      Sure yeah, I just don't know if it's really worth it at this point. If there is a big difference I'd buy into it. but I'm happy with my OEM filter I bought from fcpeuro and can get unlimited free replacements of haha.

Sure yeah, I just don't know if it's really worth it at this point. If there is a big difference I'd buy into it. but I'm happy with my OEM filter I bought from fcpeuro and can get unlimited free replacements of haha.

I get that, lol!

I just think about all the money that was spent on a stage 2 tune, downpipe, intercooler and airbox set-up for my 05R. For $95.00, even if its only a 2-3% increase in HP, its probably the best bang for your buck as far as power goes.
      Last edited by 5cylindersymphony; 03-23-2020 at 03:59 PM.

There is also this air filter: Jetex T80298 that is the same size as OEM (K&N is not and it comes with an extension and clamps).
      I got it from UK easy and fast. Price with shipping was good: 40 pounds plus 17 shipping.
      There is no direct link to it but select V70 from this page and scroll down on the pages https://jetex.co.uk/air-box-filters-and-induction-kits/
      They also answer the phone and are very nice to deal with (mind the time zone).
      2004 V70R, manual, 4T4

Quote Originally Posted by doru View Post
      There is also this air filter: Jetex T80298 that is the same size as OEM (K&N is not and it comes with an extension and clamps).
      I got it from UK easy and fast. Price with shipping was good: 40 pounds plus 17 shipping.
      There is no direct link to it but select V70 from this page and scroll down on the pages https://jetex.co.uk/air-box-filters-and-induction-kits/
      Doesn't come up on their website. Looks like it was discontinued....

It's there, pn T80298
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

its not a dry flow filter, its oiled.
      looks exactly like the one EuroSport Tuning used to sell. the blue faded away within a couple months. you have to oil and redye it to get the blue color back. the rubber ring that sat on the MAF fell apart within 6 months on my R.

https://jetex.co.uk/product/volvo-s6...rts-filter-11/
      2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers

looks exactly like the one EuroSport Tuning used to sell. the blue faded away within a couple months. you have to oil and redye it to get the blue color back. the rubber ring that sat on the MAF fell apart within 6 months on my R.

Exactly, it is the same one. I didn't get it for that reason, basically, a K&N except I can't get it through FCP so no lifetime replacement.
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

What are the thoughts on AEM dryflow filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the AEM Dry flow cover (Water protector). That really does a hell of a job both sediment and water blockage.
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

You sir are spot on. Cotton gauze oil based filter per thier website. Same issues as K&N.
      Last edited by 5cylindersymphony; 03-24-2020 at 05:59 PM.

So I ended up inquiring further in regards to size, fitment etc. I received some photos that I thought I would pass along:

Two major things I noticed from an engineering standpoint:

1. With the OEM filter, Volvo went with an internal structure reinforcement cage to aid with filter collapse. This is a common issue with forced induction vehicles flowing decent amounts of air. While this helps with maintaining structural integrity, this is absolutely horrible for airflow and restriction.

2. I am willing to bet you actually loose HP over stock running a K&N filter. Both internal volume and overall size are significantly smaller than OEM. Additionally the inlet diameter looks to be much smaller. Again, huge restriction. I can't believe people actually run this filter on their caRs.

Would there be any concerns about filter collapse with this new design since it does not have any internal reinforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighR View Post
      Would there be any concerns about filter collapse with this new design since it does not have any internal reinforcement?
      No. The Swedesource filter remedies this with the external hex mesh. It holds the structure of the filter and pleating. This is actually a much better approach as it doesn't disrupt the internal flow.

Id be interested in this if it would fit the Audi V8/RS 3.5inch MAF (stock airbox style).

Any plans? Group buy maybe?

Im currently running EST airbox with 12inch in height and 3.5inch Inlet diameter AFE oiled filter. While i NEVER had any related issues with the oil in the MAF (even run K&N oiled filter) nor CEL in 7 years owning an R, having this kind of design and all makes me wanna think twice abour purchasing another oiled filter. Just saying ...
      Last edited by 3AK47; 04-04-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5cylindersymphony View Post
      So I ended up inquiring further in regards to size, fitment etc. I received some photos that I thought I would pass along:

Two major things I noticed from an engineering standpoint:

1. With the OEM filter, Volvo went with an internal structure reinforcement cage to aid with filter collapse. This is a common issue with forced induction vehicles flowing decent amounts of air. While this helps with maintaining structural integrity, this is absolutely horrible for airflow and restriction.

2. I am willing to bet you actually loose HP over stock running a K&N filter. Both internal volume and overall size are significantly smaller than OEM. Additionally the inlet diameter looks to be much smaller. Again, huge restriction. I can't believe people actually run this filter on their caRs.
      I noticed this years ago, but nobody wants to listen to reason when they're guzzling the cool-aid.

What exactly is the problem you're trying to address here?

installed mine the other day. excellent initial quality and looks nice too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWXa6EdmGfs

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast