SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Looks like there's a new performance air filter on the market.

9K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Rodtheviking 
#1 ·
This is pretty awesome. Looks nice. Supposed to be better than K&N.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
love the pattern and its a dry media no oil.

just placed an order, i'll post up details on fitment and such once i get it.

#7 ·
Does it actually flow better than the OEM filter? Seems like it's just an appearance thing.

#8 ·
I found out that the filters are good for over 600 HP. Apparently it's the same filter material some people use on performance GTRs and the like. It's not just for show. Washable and non-oiled

#10 ·
be careful boyz, that special air-filter could produce whole lot of heep of boost powa that your R might not be able to handle.

#14 ·
Zero... if you're sticking with a stock MAF housing this filter is absolutely useless and inferior filtration wise to stock OEM filter.

#17 ·
But how many of you are running stock airbox and actually need that flow? I'm in the process of having contrast do my stage 2 tune and I'm running a stock OEM filter in the stock OEM box. After my first pull and sending him that log, he noted that everything looked really great on my setup. If I needed more flow, I would make a custom box or buy the one that Snabb sells with the Audi S4 MAF.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying this just sharing my point of view.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
But how many of you are running stock airbox and actually need that flow? I'm in the process of having contrast do my stage 2 tune and I'm running a stock OEM filter in the stock OEM box. After my first pull and sending him that log, he noted that everything looked really great on my setup. If I needed more flow, I would make a custom box or buy the one that Snabb sells with the Audi S4 MAF.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying this just sharing my point of view.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Restriction, Restriction, Restriction. We have forced induction vehicles; Restriction is always the enemy. If I can reduce restriction before the MAF and even add a few HP while getting rid of the issues with the Elevate intake, I'll take it.

#21 ·
There is also this air filter: Jetex T80298 that is the same size as OEM (K&N is not and it comes with an extension and clamps).
I got it from UK easy and fast. Price with shipping was good: 40 pounds plus 17 shipping.
There is no direct link to it but select V70 from this page and scroll down on the pages https://jetex.co.uk/air-box-filters-and-induction-kits/
They also answer the phone and are very nice to deal with (mind the time zone).

#27 ·
I have the AEM Dry flow cover (Water protector). That really does a hell of a job both sediment and water blockage.

#29 ·
So I ended up inquiring further in regards to size, fitment etc. I received some photos that I thought I would pass along:

Two major things I noticed from an engineering standpoint:

1. With the OEM filter, Volvo went with an internal structure reinforcement cage to aid with filter collapse. This is a common issue with forced induction vehicles flowing decent amounts of air. While this helps with maintaining structural integrity, this is absolutely horrible for airflow and restriction.

2. I am willing to bet you actually loose HP over stock running a K&N filter. Both internal volume and overall size are significantly smaller than OEM. Additionally the inlet diameter looks to be much smaller. Again, huge restriction. I can't believe people actually run this filter on their caRs.

#32 · (Edited)
Id be interested in this if it would fit the Audi V8/RS 3.5inch MAF (stock airbox style).

Any plans? Group buy maybe?

Im currently running EST airbox with 12inch in height and 3.5inch Inlet diameter AFE oiled filter. While i NEVER had any related issues with the oil in the MAF (even run K&N oiled filter) nor CEL in 7 years owning an R, having this kind of design and all makes me wanna think twice abour purchasing another oiled filter. Just saying ...

#35 ·
installed mine the other day. excellent initial quality and looks nice too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.