Fuel Filler Pipe rusted w/ holes? $1350 replacement!!!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 12 of 12
    1. #1

      Fuel Filler Pipe rusted w/ holes? $1350 replacement!!!

      Many weeks ago the Check Engine lite came on.

      About a week into that, a message popped up indicating a loose fuel cap. I checked, it was fine.

      Took to dealer and they said the fuel filler pipe has rusted producing a small and large hole.

      Quoted $550 for the pipe and ~ $800 max for labor.

      The car is 5 years old, only 47k miles. I do live in a salt state and I keep the car in the garage.

      I'm looking to see if others had this problem?

      edit : A quick search shows a recall on some SPA models, I think XC60, but still wondering at the numbers of PRE-SPA cars have this.
      Last edited by johnee; 03-17-2020 at 04:07 PM.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
      Many weeks ago the Check Engine lite came on.

      About a week into that, a message popped up indicating a loose fuel cap. I checked, it was fine.

      Took to dealer and they said the fuel filler pipe has rusted producing a small and large hole.

      Quoted $550 for the pipe and ~ $800 max for labor.

      The car is 5 years old, only 47k miles. I do live in a salt state and I keep the car in the garage.

      I'm looking to see if others had this problem?

      edit : A quick search shows a recall on some SPA models, I think XC60, but still wondering at the numbers of PRE-SPA cars have this.
      Appears you bought new under OSD and so vehicle warranty has expired (No CPO). I take it you don't have an extended warranty on the vehicle either? I guess the same advice applies for those of us in winter states, be sure to get your car washed semi frequently to get all the salt off. It's corrosive and will eat through things.

      Not sure if you've got any alternative other than an indy shop to order parts and perform job. Might save on labor.

      Is your vehicle under the recall?
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-18-2020 at 10:40 AM.

    4. #3
      Junior Member BellevilleV70's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Belleville,Ontario
      Posts
      700
      Ouch....im guessing subframe must be dropped to do it, if labour is that high....guess I better look at mine next time up and see if I see rust on it and oil spray it....its clean under, but neck is kind of hidden, and in Ontario Canada so lots of salt
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/APATuned DownPipe/AirBox Mods/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      I don't think a recall exists for non-SPA XC60s.

      I do get my car cleaned, not as frequently as I'd like, but try at least 2-3 times a month. I'm actually worried attempting to wash under carriage will result in incomplete removal, leaving wet salty components. Perhaps that's what happened.

      Yes, subframe must be dropped, hence the labor involved.

      I opt not for an extended warranty as they are priced to not lose money over the average loss incurred by the policy backer, which means each individual takes a risk on paying for a premium when no repairs are needed. Guess I'm starting to be the loser, but time will tell if I saved money or not!
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    7. #5
      Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
      I don't think a recall exists for non-SPA XC60s.

      I do get my car cleaned, not as frequently as I'd like, but try at least 2-3 times a month. I'm actually worried attempting to wash under carriage will result in incomplete removal, leaving wet salty components. Perhaps that's what happened.

      Yes, subframe must be dropped, hence the labor involved.

      I opt not for an extended warranty as they are priced to not lose money over the average loss incurred by the policy backer, which means each individual takes a risk on paying for a premium when no repairs are needed. Guess I'm starting to be the loser, but time will tell if I saved money or not!
      I take my vehicle to brushless car washes that spray the undercarriage too. These usually run $10-15 but are the most ideal means of removing salt. The longer the salt sits, the more time it has to be corrosive. Ideally, the power spraying of the undercarriage would be sufficient to remove most salt and not create a sloppy mess.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      146
      id ask for goodwill as it is a safety concern if it is in fact corroded through or if the emissions warranty covers it. i have seen the clamps from fill neck to tank corrode on older volvos but thats usually 15 years in new hampshire. i havent seen a newer volvo with any significant corrosion on a filler neck, though we dont repair/replace/inspect them often. how did they come to this conclusion? probably smoke test, but that sounds a bit strange for sure.

    9. #7
      Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      id ask for goodwill as it is a safety concern if it is in fact corroded through or if the emissions warranty covers it. i have seen the clamps from fill neck to tank corrode on older volvos but thats usually 15 years in new hampshire. i havent seen a newer volvo with any significant corrosion on a filler neck, though we dont repair/replace/inspect them often. how did they come to this conclusion? probably smoke test, but that sounds a bit strange for sure.
      OP can ask for good will, but I doubt this would be covered under the corrosion warranty. Corrosion warranty only covers sheet metal. And I can see Volvo stating the fuel filler pip is susceptible to rust depending upon climate and road conditions. Making frequent washing of the vehicle necessary to avoid said problems. However, OP loses nothing by asking, except simply being told Yes or No.

      https://www.loveringnashua.com/warra...nformation.htm

      Rust and Corrosion Warranty

      This warranty covers the sheet metal of your Volvo. Repair or replacement is guaranteed in cases of corrosion or rust which are severe enough to cause holes, although surface rust which doesn't threaten the integrity of the vehicle is not covered. This is a 12-year warranty.

    10. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      id ask for goodwill as it is a safety concern if it is in fact corroded through or if the emissions warranty covers it. i have seen the clamps from fill neck to tank corrode on older volvos but thats usually 15 years in new hampshire. i havent seen a newer volvo with any significant corrosion on a filler neck, though we dont repair/replace/inspect them often. how did they come to this conclusion? probably smoke test, but that sounds a bit strange for sure.
      The smoke test is exactly what they did. Thanks for the tip on emissions warranty, I'll definitely push for that.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    11. #9
      I've gone out of my way to find a car wash that does a true under carriage wash and yet the only half-way decent one just has nozzles near ground pointed up which doesn't really get all the way under the car.

      Sometimes I've been able to get the high pressure wand under there but that also is a crapshoot. Honestly, I didn't think under carriage rust was a huge problem with volvo's since I haven't seen an extraordinary amount of complaints about it, although I haven't been on the forums for a while....
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    12. #10
      Well, got the filler pipe replaced, total was 1068.

      The repair took longer than expected because they've never replaced this pipe on non-SPA vehicles ?!?!? SPA vehicles are much easier they said.

      What should I take away from that statement?
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      Orlando FL USA
      Posts
      49
      get lawyer involved and file an emissions claim. play hardball from thr start

    14. #12
      Junior Member BellevilleV70's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Belleville,Ontario
      Posts
      700
      Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
      Well, got the filler pipe replaced, total was 1068.

      The repair took longer than expected because they've never replaced this pipe on non-SPA vehicles ?!?!? SPA vehicles are much easier they said.

      What should I take away from that statement?
      Different design they are saying I would expect....did u see where it was rusted out?
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/APATuned DownPipe/AirBox Mods/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

    15. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Fuel Filler Pipe Fix - National Backorder
      By willin58 in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 36
      Last Post: 12-06-2019, 12:58 PM
    2. '98 v70 t5m $1350 obo
      By greekone in forum FWD & AWD Cars For Sale
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
    3. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
    4. 1984 240DL $1350 obo Atlanta
      By powderhound in forum RWD Cars For Sale
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 07-05-2004, 06:16 AM