Are they dangerous Apple Carplay and Android Auto
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are they dangerous Apple Carplay and Android Auto

Interesting text, and I agree in many aspects, people as they drive more and more are typing on the phone and touch screen without thinking what can happen

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/apple...ol-says-study/
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In the Volvo context I think that the sluggish response of Sensus is just as bad. I am typing this on an uptodate iPad which is slow but bearable. Sensus in its infotainment mode, Sirius, Spotify etc. sometimes requires quite a long push or even seems to ignore a tap and this is a real pain on uneven roads as you then have to look again at the screen.
      I have tried Apple CarPlay but only stationary on my driveway so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sensus & Apple CarPlay are good enough that I never need to take my phone out of the center console while driving. I don’t even look at my phone at red lights anymore. I have enough muscle memory to know where all the common functions in Sensus are and can make adjustments without looking at the screen.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Apple CarPlay has totally replaced my need for Sensus navigation. Very easy to use, but it is sometimes glitchy. I found that using the Sensus voice commands for things such as climate control works better than using the touch screen.
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

I prefer the routing and ease of finding destinations with Apple Maps over Sensus, but I typically use Sensus because of the integration with the instrument cluster and HUD.

Apple has APIs that allow CarPlay to project routes on the instrument cluster and display the next turn on the HUD. I wish Volvo would use these APIs.

Overall, I think CarPlay is much safer than cars without it. With CarPlay, Siri is easily accessible, and changing music is relatively quick/easy. Without CarPlay, people would stream via bluetooth but then you're interacting with the phone, directly, which is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Quote Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
      In the Volvo context I think that the sluggish response of Sensus is just as bad. I am typing this on an uptodate iPad which is slow but bearable. Sensus in its infotainment mode, Sirius, Spotify etc. sometimes requires quite a long push or even seems to ignore a tap and this is a real pain on uneven roads as you then have to look again at the screen.
      I have tried Apple CarPlay but only stationary on my driveway so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I don't have any of those problems in Android Auto or in any of SENSUS' primary functions (map, phone) but the response in the Spotify app is ridiculous.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I don't have any of those problems in Android Auto or in any of SENSUS' primary functions (map, phone) but the response in the Spotify app is ridiculous.
      +1
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      I prefer the routing and ease of finding destinations with Apple Maps over Sensus, but I typically use Sensus because of the integration with the instrument cluster and HUD.

Apple has APIs that allow CarPlay to project routes on the instrument cluster and display the next turn on the HUD. I wish Volvo would use these APIs.

Overall, I think CarPlay is much safer than cars without it. With CarPlay, Siri is easily accessible, and changing music is relatively quick/easy. Without CarPlay, people would stream via bluetooth but then you're interacting with the phone, directly, which is illegal in many jurisdictions.
      +1000.

From personal experience, for the past 2 days I had to drive a loaner 2002 S60 that made me realize just how much my driving experience has changed in just 3 months of having my XC60. Infotainment with carplay is unprecedented.
      I'm not sure if what you're saying about API's are available right now for car-makers in terms of dual screen. Not that I wouldn't love to have apple maps in driver cluster, but I think as of today its not available yet.

I guess you refer to the Sensus Spotify app. It needs a serious update. However I do not think that it can get any better even with a full android sensus. Other than smartphones and pc/macs, Spotify app sucks in pretty much every car, avr, video console (ps4/xbox) etc.
      Last edited by stocis; 03-18-2020 at 01:32 PM.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      I'm not sure if what you're saying about API's are available right now for car-makers in terms of dual screen. Not that I wouldn't love to have apple maps in driver cluster, but I think as of today its not available yet.
      The only reason it isn't available is because Volvo has either been lazy or has active refused to implement it.

Apple has already done all the work on their end to support it. It was released with iOS 13.

Here's a video where Apple demonstrates the new features: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/

The only reason it isn't available is because Volvo has either been lazy or has active refused to implement it.

Apple has already done all the work on their end to support it. It was released with iOS 13.

Here's a video where Apple demonstrates the new features: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/
      Seen this already. I haven't saw it in any other car though, yet. Have you?
      Also check this:
      https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/2...een-no-support
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Seen this already. I haven't saw it in any other car though, yet. Have you?
      Also check this:
      https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/2...een-no-support
      No, because no car manufacturer seems to be willing to update their infotainment system and give such comprehensive functionality to a third party.

I've long believed manufacturers should stop making crappy navigation systems and just let Apple/Google/Whoever provide the navigation via the phone.

It's silly to think that any car company can provide a better experience than your phone. Even if you lease, it's a new car every 3 years and infotainment systems are redesigned maybe every 6+ years. But you might get a new phone (or at least an updated OS) every year or two. If you go 3-4 years upgrading your phone you're considered "old" in the tech community, yet that's still twice as quickly as any infotainment system gets updated. Smart phones have faster processors, too. The only reason for a car company to not implement the support is they want to retain the control.

No, because no car manufacturer seems to be willing to update their infotainment system and give such comprehensive functionality to a third party.

I've long believed manufacturers should stop making crappy navigation systems and just let Apple/Google/Whoever provide the navigation via the phone.

It's silly to think that any car company can provide a better experience than your phone. Even if you lease, it's a new car every 3 years and infotainment systems are redesigned maybe every 6+ years. But you might get a new phone (or at least an updated OS) every year or two. If you go 3-4 years upgrading your phone you're considered "old" in the tech community, yet that's still twice as quickly as any infotainment system gets updated. Smart phones have faster processors, too. The only reason for a car company to not implement the support is they want to retain the control.
      fully agreed.

Some car manufacturers also implement Google map (Google street view) in their system, so you don't need a phone

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

See. That’s what’s dangerous. Not carplay/android auto. Having full road view distracting the driver from the actual road view is ridiculous.

Seriously you want that in your driver dash?

Just turn off if you don't want to, you can display classic navigation, you can show a list of music you listen to, Google maps ... all while driving with the switches on the steering wheel.
      Zoom in, zoom out ....... you have a lot of options unlike the static display that Sensus has

To help you understand the possibilities of virtual cockpit, here's the video

Last edited by BigBang; 03-19-2020 at 04:20 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

See. That’s what’s dangerous. Not carplay/android auto. Having full road view distracting the driver from the actual road view is ridiculous.

Seriously you want that in your driver dash?
      +1 that’s what windows are for.
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |

I knew it that soon enough this thread will turn again into the superiority of Audi's Infotainment system ha ha ha.... Everything OP starts ends up to Audi does it better.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

Life is better using the ignore list. Just say’n
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      Precisely. My life has been better for months now. Unlike some other forums, we still have to read ignore list comments when someone quotes them. Hint-hint to others.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Some car manufacturers also implement Google map (Google street view) in their system, so you don't need a phone
      You aren't trying to sell that as an advantage, are you? Because we all know you're talking about Audi, except you're leaving out most of the story.

Audi did partner with Google to put Google Maps into the instrument cluster.... HOWEVER:

* It requires an EXPENSIVE subscription to Audi Connect Prime (or higher). This starts at $199 for SIX MONTHS. OUCH!

* If you bought (or leased) a 2018 model you'll be stuck missing features because Audi is discontinuing the feature effective December 2020. Even people who are still in a standard lease will have the feature taken away from them before their lease is up. Could you imagine having purchased a car that you want to keep for 10 years and features that were heavily marketed are pulled only 2 years in? Cars are still in warranty and they're losing functionality! Absolutely insane, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by savolvo View Post
      I knew it that soon enough this thread will turn again into the superiority of Audi's Infotainment system ha ha ha.... Everything OP starts ends up to Audi does it better.
      They've been asked why they don't go buy an Audi, countless times. I can only assume that Audi refuses to do business with them.

Code:
      <Dramatization>
          <Scene>
              Sheldon enters Audi dealership in brightly colored Puma sweat suite, carrying an Adidas workout bag overflowing with cash.
          </Scene>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">Excuse me, sir, but we must respectfully ask you to leave the premises.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">But why?  I love Audi!  You are the best!  You make the best cars!  I want to give you all my moneys!  Let me just sit in one of your cars for 5 minutes!</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">We appreciate your enthusiasm, but we've seen your behavior on the Volvo forums, and we simply don't want you associated with the Audi brand.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">What do you mean?  I love the Audi.  The Audi is life.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">We appreciate your enthusiasm, but your behavior is simply too...  'bad'.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">Aren't you the company who lied and cheated on emissions?</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">Yes.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">Aren't you the company who heavily marketed Google Maps integration for Virtual Cockpit, and are now removing the feature from paying customer's vehicles while they're still in warranty?</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">So why can't I drive an Audi?</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">We acknowledge that we've been bad...  But we must maintain some standards.</Dialog>

<Spoiler>Sheldon goes to Volvo forum to take out his anger.</Spoiler>

</Dramatization>

They've been asked why they don't go buy an Audi, countless times. I can only assume that Audi refuses to do business with them.

Code:
      <Dramatization>
          <Scene>
              Sheldon enters Audi dealership in brightly colored Puma sweat suite, carrying an Adidas workout bag overflowing with cash.
          </Scene>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">Excuse me, sir, but we must respectfully ask you to leave the premises.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">But why?  I love Audi!  You are the best!  You make the best cars!  I want to give you all my moneys!  Let me just sit in one of your cars for 5 minutes!</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">We appreciate your enthusiasm, but we've seen your behavior on the Volvo forums, and we simply don't want you associated with the Audi brand.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">What do you mean?  I love the Audi.  The Audi is life.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">We appreciate your enthusiasm, but your behavior is simply too...  'bad'.</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">Aren't you the company who lied and cheated on emissions?</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">Aren't you the company who heavily marketed Google Maps integration for Virtual Cockpit, and are now removing the feature from paying customer's vehicles while they're still in warranty?</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Sheldon">So why can't I drive an Audi?</Dialog>

<Dialog speaker="Audi Spokesperson">We acknowledge that we've been bad...  But we must maintain some standards.</Dialog>

<Spoiler>Sheldon goes to Volvo forum to take out his anger.</Spoiler>

</Dramatization>
      🤣🤣🤣
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Not that I care about Mr Troll's Audi, but I do think Volvo is falling behind it's completion. And the implementation of Android Auto is one example. Relegating it to a small subwindow at the bottom of the screen really destroys usefulness.

SENSUS is a very good system, but with a few hard buttons and better management of AA/carplay it could be an excellent system.

Not that I care about Mr Troll's Audi, but I do think Volvo is falling behind it's completion. And the implementation of Android Auto is one example. Relegating it to a small subwindow at the bottom of the screen really destroys usefulness.
      Does Android Auto even support dynamic screen resizing?

Apple added the feature in iOS 13.

But it was my understanding that Google hasn't added the feature, yet.

Does Android Auto even support dynamic screen resizing?

Apple added the feature in iOS 13.

But it was my understanding that Google hasn't added the feature, yet.
      It has some features of that nature for widescreen displays, not portrait

It has some features of that nature for widescreen displays, not portrait
      So how is that Volvo's fault? Volvo is limited to what Google allows them to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      Precisely. My life has been better for months now. Unlike some other forums, we still have to read ignore list comments when someone quotes them. Hint-hint to others.
      So how is that Volvo's fault? Volvo is limited to what Google allows them to implement.
      But, but, but....Audi.....

(Sarcasm intended, the obvious troll is on /plonk list )

/kleks

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

You aren't trying to sell that as an advantage, are you? Because we all know you're talking about Audi, except you're leaving out most of the story.

Audi did partner with Google to put Google Maps into the instrument cluster.... HOWEVER:

* It requires an EXPENSIVE subscription to Audi Connect Prime (or higher). This starts at $199 for SIX MONTHS. OUCH!

* If you bought (or leased) a 2018 model you'll be stuck missing features because Audi is discontinuing the feature effective December 2020. Even people who are still in a standard lease will have the feature taken away from them before their lease is up. Could you imagine having purchased a car that you want to keep for 10 years and features that were heavily marketed are pulled only 2 years in? Cars are still in warranty and they're losing functionality! Absolutely insane, imo.
      7 Google Earth features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 & prior vehicles. Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-19 vehicles.

Keep 10 years ???????

I have never keep a car for more than 3-4 years except the AlfaRomeo 159

I bought the XC60, I have a phone and service module but I can't use VOC, you know why because Vovlo doesn't support this option does all over the world. Absolutely insane, imo.
      Last edited by BigBang; 03-19-2020 at 11:37 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      noted.

Keep 10 years ???????
      Yes, lots of (sensible) people keep their cars for 10+ years.

I have never keep a car for more than 3-4 years except the AlfaRomeo 159
      Congrats? When is your 3 years up? We can plan a party for you leaving the brand!

I bought the XC60, I have a phone and service module but I can't use VOC, you know why because Vovlo doesn't support this option does all over the world. Absolutely insane, imo.
      Certainly you should have known this before you got the car, right?

Lots of radio-based and encryption-based technologies are not supported in some regions of the world.

Yes, lots of (sensible) people keep their cars for 10+ years.
      I still sometimes find myself wondering why people don't pay the car off and keep it, but following some of the conversations here I've come to realize that it's a completely different mindset from mine (or my wife's). We're just not that interested in cars so we don't even consider trying to keep up with the technology/market. It's been interesting seeing the number of people who are interested enough in cars to be willing to do basically continuous car payments in order to have the latest technology on an ongoing basis. Never would have occurred to us. Not saying it's wrong or right, just completely alien from the way we think.

FWIW, we've only had a few cars for less than 10 years, though the 19 years on the V70 is a record for us.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

First of all, I personally don't give a crap whose "fault" it is. I'm more worried about my day to day experience in the car.

However, this is a Volvo issue. They implemented a hardware format that is not fully comparable with the two most popular cell phone standards on the planet. They then made some truly stupid programming choices (like opening up the window for the active app at the bottom of the display).

90% of the non Tesla vehicles on the road use horizontal displays. Volvo bucked the tend to be stylish with a portrait display and there are some usability problems as a result.

I still enjoy SENSUS but it's a flawed system.

And, btw, there are after market Android systems that will display portrait orientation. SENSUS is just not capable of that though.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 03-19-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Wow, the half screen use of third party apps like CarPlay is a big issue for some folks. That never would have occurred to me. I like how I can have CarPlay running and quickly switch over to Spotify or Sensus navigation with CarPlay still running in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Wow, the half screen use of third party apps like CarPlay is a big issue for some folks. That never would have occurred to me. I like how I can have CarPlay running and quickly switch over to Spotify or Sensus navigation with CarPlay still running in the background.
      I haven't played with it but I remember a lot of the reviewers were big fans of being able to see non-Apple apps while using CarPlay - they pretty much uniformly considered that a plus of the portrait screen.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast