Are they dangerous Apple Carplay and Android Auto - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      I still sometimes find myself wondering why people don't pay the car off and keep it, but following some of the conversations here I've come to realize that it's a completely different mindset from mine (or my wife's). We're just not that interested in cars so we don't even consider trying to keep up with the technology/market. It's been interesting seeing the number of people who are interested enough in cars to be willing to do basically continuous car payments in order to have the latest technology on an ongoing basis. Never would have occurred to us. Not saying it's wrong or right, just completely alien from the way we think.

FWIW, we've only had a few cars for less than 10 years, though the 19 years on the V70 is a record for us.
      The irony is that people most often complain about the technology in their new cars... They'd almost certainly be happier if they kept their cars longer.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      I haven't played with it but I remember a lot of the reviewers were big fans of being able to see non-Apple apps while using CarPlay - they pretty much uniformly considered that a plus of the portrait screen.
      I use Sensus NAV and Sensus Spotify most of the time but I connect my iPhone to run Waze for police and hazard alerts. This gives me “the best of both” interfaces. Even when using apps like Sound Experience or Driver Performance, Waze alerts still fire off.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

In 10 years, 90% of new cars will not have gasoline or diesel engines on offer
      Your comparison of car retention for 10 years and technology from this car is the same as comparing today's Samsung Galaxy S2 or iPhone 4S with today's top models Samsung S20 or iPhone 11

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Congrats? When is your 3 years up? We can plan a party for you leaving the brand!
      It's been 2 years since, how long I must to keep the car, and from 15 days ago I put my car up for sale, it's a little slower because it was bought through a diplomatic program without local customs and taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Certainly you should have known this before you got the car, right?

Lots of radio-based and encryption-based technologies are not supported in some regions of the world.
      Of course I didn't know that
      It would be the same if you had purchased a Samsung S20 or iPhon11 and it does not work in some parts of the world, I guess the manufacturer should write it in the specifications. The system does not work because Volvo has not reached an agreement with local telecom operators, this is a problem
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      In 10 years, 90% of new cars will not have gasoline or diesel engines on offer
      Your comparison of car retention for 10 years and technology from this car is the same as comparing today's Samsung Galaxy S2 or iPhone 4S with today's top models Samsung S20 or iPhone 11
      Interesting analogy, but not quite. The infrastructure has changed out from under the older phones, something that isn't likely to happen with the cars in 10 years. For cars the infrastructure will advance, but the old will still be there for some time. Also, of course, cell phones are much, much cheaper and so there's less of an outlay keeping up. Also cell phones are a much younger technology, so they've advanced in ways - form factor and pixel density come to mind - and at a pace that cars are unlikely to follow. Most cars will still be roughly the same size, they'll still have 4 wheels, etc...

OTOH, even though the outlay is substantially less, there are still plenty of people out there with older phones, since the phones still do what they need. I only got rid of my 5S because I knew someone who needed it and couldn't afford a new one, and I could afford an SE. Sadly the SE died earlier this year so I changed yet again, but since the vast majority of what I need a phone for are phone calls, GPS voice navigation and as a music player, the older phones still would be pretty good for me. Then again, I'm not a cell phone enthusiast any more than I'm an automobile enthusiast.

Note as well that some cell phones (fewer these days) don't work world wide since most carriers use GSM rather that CDMA world wide. You used to have to specify which type of network when you bought the phone.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Wow, the half screen use of third party apps like CarPlay is a big issue for some folks. That never would have occurred to me. I like how I can have CarPlay running and quickly switch over to Spotify or Sensus navigation with CarPlay still running in the background.
      There are two reasons its an issue to a lot of folk: 1) The window is really small and renders the maps pretty useless. 2) Its at the bottom of the display instead of the top (which is just plain stupid).

There are few usability gotchas with SENSUS and this is one. Far from a deal breaker for me but still an annoyance.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I use Sensus NAV and Sensus Spotify most of the time but I connect my iPhone to run Waze for police and hazard alerts. This gives me “the best of both” interfaces. Even when using apps like Sound Experience or Driver Performance, Waze alerts still fire off.
      The SENSUS Nav is pretty good, imo. I like it enough that I have stopped using google maps.

I'm not a fan of that Spotify app though - hate the slow responses, the tiny fonts, and the lack of meaningful voice control.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      The SENSUS Nav is pretty good, imo. I like it enough that I have stopped using google maps.

I'm not a fan of that Spotify app though - hate the slow responses, the tiny fonts, and the lack of meaningful voice control.
      Sensus Spotify app sounds better than CarPlay Spotify.

My Sensus Spotify is not slow at all.
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |

To be clear, what I meant by slow is the lack of responses to touches. That never happens with the Android auto application. With the onboard app I'll sometimes have to click on a album several times before there is a response.

I can't comment on carplay (I'm an Android guy) but I notice zero difference in sound quality. Exact same. I don't have B&W though. I have the standard HK system that comes with the Inscription. Spotify sounds very good with either AA or the onboard app.

I'm not sure why one would sound better than the other. In my car, they're both using the same data stream and the same song resolution.

Are they dangerous Apple Carplay and Android Auto

It doesn’t make sense to me either. I have B&W and CarPlay Spotify sounds slights softer than Sensus.

I never have problems or slowness selecting a different album or playlist.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2