850R track car transformation
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Our loved 855R M56 has been a great car, but has outlived its use as a daily and will transition to a family track car.

Looking for input on safety cage kits, or designs. Havenít found much information despite extensive searching.

Input is appreciated.

06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Oil pan/pickup need updating for the engine to survive heavy cornering in addition to adding an extra quart of oil.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

My input would be if you want a fun FWD track car, to sell it for a couple grand, buy a an EG hatch, put some good tires and eBay coilovers on it, and blast full throttle while laughing maniacally. 850s aren't track cars unless you put $$$$$$ into them, which, if it's in your budget then of course go ahead, it might just turn into more of a project than you're expecting
      1996 854R | M56H | 16T | 268k

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Oil pan/pickup need updating for the engine to survive heavy cornering in addition to adding an extra quart of oil.
      Good point on the oil pan and capacity. Updated B5254T4 pickup and pan with remote cooler are part of the build plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

Quote Originally Posted by sventastic View Post
      My input would be if you want a fun FWD track car, to sell it for a couple grand, buy a an EG hatch, put some good tires and eBay coilovers on it, and blast full throttle while laughing maniacally. 850s aren't track cars unless you put $$$$$$ into them, which, if it's in your budget then of course go ahead, it might just turn into more of a project than you're expecting
      Staying with Volvo roots for a dedicated track car.... I promise this car will handle just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin V70R View Post
      Staying with Volvo roots for a dedicated track car.... I promise this car will handle just fine.

Sounds good I've just seen so many threads with this same objective pop up and they go nowhere, not saying that will be you but the success rate doesn't seem to be very high lol. That said, an 850R full specced out for the track is a thing of beauty, see this guy's YouTube channel for inspiration...

Main investments would be good tires, coilovers, and a 25mm rear sway bar if you can find one

https://youtu.be/VaQigwMqEZU

Quote Originally Posted by sventastic View Post
      Sounds good I've just seen so many threads with this same objective pop up and they go nowhere, not saying that will be you but the success rate doesn't seem to be very high lol. That said, an 850R full specced out for the track is a thing of beauty, see this guy's YouTube channel for inspiration...

Main investments would be good tires, coilovers, and a 25mm rear sway bar if you can find one

https://youtu.be/VaQigwMqEZU
      Thanks.... thatís a great clip! Iím certainly not asserting it will stay with my ZL1 Camaro if we were in the same session (although my son seems to think he will), but I think it will be great for family track events and for my boys to get some experience.

Good point on the oil pan and capacity. Updated B5254T4 pickup and pan with remote cooler are part of the build plan.

When RSI still existed they frequently tracked an NA 850 that was fully caged. They went through multiple engines due to oil starvation issues, particularly when running at ORP (Oregon Raceway Park), which is notorious for long sustained sweeping turns. The solution was pretty aggressive baffling fabricated into the oil pan, along with (IIRC) some various trial and error with pick up style and location.

I donít think just using an RN pan, pickup and cooler is going to cut it. But I trust your ability to figure it all out! Canít wait to see the progress, sounds like a fun project.
      1998 V70R, M58 AWD manual, Built B5244T5 (Wiseco 81.5, RSI Rods), Garrett GTX3071R gen 2 .82ar (IWG), VAST custom tubular exhaust manifold and downpipe, Sachs 707pp/ R clutch,VAST COP E85 tune with dual VVT control, 3.25Ē ID MAF housing and custom intake, na TB, DW300, DW 950ccís, ipd diverter, ipd intercooler, DO88 aluminum radiator, Magnaflow exhaust, Kaplhenke dbl adjustable front&rear coilovers, Kaplehenke delrin subframe bushings, ipd sways/strut brace, Porsche BBK front, rear '00 VR rotors/calipers, 17Ē BBS RGRís, Jewels.
      485awhp, 598awtq on Mustang dyno

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Hi Neal,

Very exciting! I have some suggestions for chassis braces and a coilover system. Shoot me an email and we can chat: [email protected]

C70 lower chassis brace and subframe or delrin subframe bushings. Staying with 2 bolt control arms allows you to adjust caster, albeit super annoyingly by pressing them into different positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned

C70 lower chassis brace and subframe or delrin subframe bushings. Staying with 2 bolt control arms allows you to adjust caster, albeit super annoyingly by pressing them into different positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Black Powerflex control arm bushing are going in next week. Not as worried about caster as I am camber until the safety cage and subframe braces are in and ride height is established.

Focused on cage, seats, and controls at the moment.

The car will be factory red in & out with stock dash & center console. Black & Red Sparco seats & red belts.

Last edited by Austin V70R; 03-18-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron-R View Post
      When RSI still existed they frequently tracked an NA 850 that was fully caged. They went through multiple engines due to oil starvation issues, particularly when running at ORP (Oregon Raceway Park), which is notorious for long sustained sweeping turns. The solution was pretty aggressive baffling fabricated into the oil pan, along with (IIRC) some various trial and error with pick up style and location.

I donít think just using an RN pan, pickup and cooler is going to cut it. But I trust your ability to figure it all out! Canít wait to see the progress, sounds like a fun project.
      Weíll figure out the oiling. The 4T4 pan has decent baffling (had to modify it on my 4T4 engine to move the oil drain plug) and an additional quart of capacity.

The oil cooler will add one additional quart of capacity and considering and accusump system as an added measure for not too much additional cost.

Mostly worried about safety and control as a 1st order.

Honestly I may design a little understeer into the car with a lighter rear sway bar until the kids are comfortable driving at speed. Planning to start with a 200TW tire initially for the same reason.

Continuing the oil pressure topic, Iíve used Accusump on other race car builds with good success. Best practice is to build a self sustaining oil system with cooling and reserve capacity / pressure for safely, but thatís sometimes a luxury. Take a Gen2 Mazda RX7 with a 500HP Ford V8 as an example.... Aux capacity abs pressure was necessary to keep the car on track.

Unlike most 850 track cars, this will not be NA and will run a 19T at 12 - 14 PSI, so oil, air charge, and coolant cooling will be paramount for success.

I make a baffle kit for the stock pan that works great. Let me know if that floats your boat.

Here's the link to the cage I built that you asked about. https://www.area510.net/images/850_rollcage/album/
      Last edited by 300+_T5R_855; 03-19-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300+_T5R_855 View Post
      I make a baffle kit for the stock pan that works great. Let me know if that floats your boat.

Here's the link to the cage I built that you asked about. https://www.area510.net/images/850_rollcage/album/

Hey CJ - would like to see the baffle kit.... that sounds like a great part of the soliton.

Something simple and easy to do is a sunroof delete. The sunroofs way a lot and they're way up high. I've done a delete on an 850 wagon and it wasn't very difficult at all. Btw, good luck with this build. The world needs more track wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by cyester View Post
      Something simple and easy to do is a sunroof delete. The sunroofs way a lot and they're way up high. I've done a delete on an 850 wagon and it wasn't very difficult at all. Btw, good luck with this build. The world needs more track wagons.
      Thanks cyester, that is definitely on the list!

Hey CJ - would like to see the baffle kit.... that sounds like a great part of the soliton.

Shoot me an e mail to remind me. I think I have a .pdf file on it.

Awesome job on the cage CJ. Thanks for sending the link. Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cyester View Post
      Did you just weld in a sheet in the sunroof opening or swap in a non-sunroof roof panel?

Quote Originally Posted by 300+_T5R_855 View Post
      I'm also curious to see this baffle kit.....definitely keeping the N pan on my T-5R but almost all it does anymore is come out of hibernation for a couple road trips a year to the mountains and blowing it up going around a corner would be super lame.....
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Did you just weld in a sheet in the sunroof opening or swap in a non-sunroof roof panel?

I'm also curious to see this baffle kit.....definitely keeping the N pan on my T-5R but almost all it does anymore is come out of hibernation for a couple road trips a year to the mountains and blowing it up going around a corner would be super lame.....
      I cut a larger roof section from a wrecking yard car and welded it in. Easy and cost $10.

Iím going to use an RN pan and external cooler. The additional quart of capacity and easy connection for an external cooler make this a no-brainer for my needs. Itís the keep the keep it simple approach to the starvation issue.

From what I hard welding isnt always a good option cause you could warp your roof. I used aluminum sheet and a heavy duty loctite sealant/adhesive with some rivets. The loctite does most the work so you dont really have to use many rivets.

Build is moving along, but looking for input on anything I'm missing. This is my first go with a P80 car, so It's very possible I'm overlooking something. Your input is appreciated. Everything listed without "PLAN" is already in the garage or on the car.

Suspension:
      IPd 25mm front sway bar & HD end links
      Ultra Racing 25mm rear sway bar
      Front strut bar brace
      Ultra Racing Front / Lower chassis brace
      New Lemforder lower control arms with Powerflex bushings
      Delrin subframe bushings
      New (rebuilt) steering rack and PS pump
      Eibach lowering springs
      BILSTEIN B8 shocks & struts

Drivetrain:
      60K mile 2000 B5234T2 engine (flushed with new seals)
      VAST M4.4 ECU tune (wideband O2 with gear specific boost mapping)
      TD0419T turbo (rebuilt, balanced, and ported)
      P2R ported exhaust manifold
      3" downpipe with stock CAT
      3" MAF housing
      MSD coil
      Green Injectors
      DW300 fuel pump
      4Bar (55PSI) fuel regulator
      M56 Trans with Quaife LSD (Thanks ScottishBrick)
      New stock Sachs clutch & hydraulics

Interior & Gauges:
      Interior completely stripped
      2017 Subi WRX front seats with stock belts & air bags
      AEM wideband 02 - input to VAST ECU and datalogging
      AEM Boost gauge
      AEM Oil temp gauge
      **** PLAN - DOM cage (material on hand)
      **** PLAN - race seats & harnesses

Exterior
      ***** PLAN - Paint stock R red

What am I missing?

I would use H&R springs.
      How does this tune know what gear the M56 is in?
      You may reach MAF saturation with a 3" housing. I am worried about that with my build which is also using a 19T.
      Why not upgrade to CoP ignition?
      You should buy the AC Delete kit Will has.

See my 850R's thread for further information on how to handle the RN swap.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Do you have experience at the track? I would invest in driver mod first, plus good pad and rotor material, and fresh brake fluid.

Also, before jumping into making any large investment on parts, give this a read to help decide and dial-in what you need: https://motoiq.com/?s=ultimate+handling+guide
      [1995 Volvo 854 T5R - Cream Yellow]
      [2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD - Black Stone]

Quote Originally Posted by RBoy8 View Post
      Do you have experience at the track? I would invest in driver mod first, plus good pad and rotor material, and fresh brake fluid.

Also, before jumping into making any large investment on parts, give this a read to help decide and dial-in what you need: https://motoiq.com/?s=ultimate+handling+guide
      Yeah, I have experience driving and prepping. Building this car to invest in HPDE for my boys as having them start in my track day car is a bad idea. The cars get track pad and full brake flush before every event.

Yeah, I have experience driving and prepping. Building this car to invest in HPDE for my boys as having them start in my track day car is a bad idea. The cars get track pad and full brake flush before every event.

AWESOME! I love this.

I just had to ask. There's so many out there these days that want to do a "track build" but not invest in HPDE, and watching their behaviours on an open lap day sometimes scares me as certain things can be downright dangerous.

Looking forward to watching this build.
      Last edited by RBoy8; 05-10-2020 at 02:13 PM.
      [1995 Volvo 854 T5R - Cream Yellow]
      [2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD - Black Stone]

Quote Originally Posted by RBoy8 View Post
      AWESOME! I love this.

I just had to ask. There's so many out there these days that want to do a "track build" but not invest in HPDE, and watching their behaviours on an open lap day sometimes scares me as certain things can be downright dangerous.

Looking forward to watching this build.
      Totally agree with your last statement, and that why I donít care for loosely organized track days that arenít HPDE events. Everyone seems to think they can drive in intermediate regardless of experience.

I keep in touch with the instructor who signed my solo and still look to him for instruction at least one track day a year.

Last edited by Austin V70R; 05-11-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Second the H&R (29955). correct for wagons.

https://rcagarage.com/shop/suspensio...not-awd-29955/

Dont go nuts on the sway bars. Car needs to have suspension articurlation to keep the wheels on the ground. Id stay stock front, 21.8mm rear euro bar or actually start off as its setup stock, 855r has good bars as is.

C70 lower subframe to brace.

OH. D5 oil cooler. Its much larger. PN 31201912

That ones on the 03 now

Dont go nuts on the sway bars. Car needs to have suspension articurlation to keep the wheels on the ground. Id stay stock front, 21.8mm rear euro bar or actually start off as its setup stock, 855r has good bars as is.

^
      I'm not bothering to upgrade my 850R's rear sway bar. 20.8mm out of the box. It's balanced enough.

Thanks for all the input guys.... really appreciate your responses.

I will move to H&R springs given the strong input... thank you.

Iím going to hold on oil cooler upgrades for the moment until I have actual dada during tuning. I ran the Focus Mk2 cooler and then the same cooler with an added remote and it didnít make a difference in on track oil temps. I appreciate the input but will wait for data this time to make a change. Oil temp monitoring will be key.

Sway bars - weíll see how the car turns in and exits during the first track day. My boys wonít be driving during the first event so Iíll have a chance to shake it down and make necessary bar changes. The car will have big brakes and great exit speed, so stability with 200TW fires will be very different than a street setup. I want my boys to experience severe understeer, so we wonít go to 100TW too early. This may necessitate a smaller rear bar initially. Weíll see how the car behaves. With the cage will also be totally different, so I may end up making multiple changes along the way.

I do know Iíll miss the torque and steering predictability from the rear LSD in my V70R P2R, but it will be a good learning platform.

I'd highly recommend the 25mm rear bar. I have the stock front bar and 25mm rear on my 850R and it absolutely still understeers at autoX. Definitely worth a shakedown to see how you like the chassis balance at first though!

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      I would use H&R springs.
      How does this tune know what gear the M56 is in?
      You may reach MAF saturation with a 3" housing. I am worried about that with my build which is also using a 19T.
      Why not upgrade to CoP ignition?
      You should buy the AC Delete kit Will has.

See my 850R's thread for further information on how to handle the RN swap.
      Aaron and I are discussing COP and may add it. Next batch of ECUís arenít shipping for a couple weeks, so I have a little time to decide.

Iím planning to use the shortly belt option for AC delete.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast