2.5T oil filter housing after issue
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2.5T oil filter housing after issue

hey everyone i never thought id need to make a post on here becuase this website has been extremely helpful. but here i am asking for advice.

i recently encountered a broken oil filter housing diaphragm so i replaced the whole housing. previously it was whistling, i knew immediately it was the issue. after replacing it and starting it up test drive all was well. after about a 20m ride, the whistle came back on the new housing.

my vacuum when pulling out dipstick or taking off the oil cap is excellent.

so my question for advice i have is, where should i check next? i dont want to risk damaging the engine by continuing to drive but i have noi choice as this is my daily driver.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you don't have any oil leaking with the new box - there is a very slim chance it is in fact the diaphragm.

Pulling the dipstick tells you that the car has vacuum in the crankcase with the new one, and so the diaphragm is doing its job.

Some of us have had this before - Mine whistled for about 2 months - replaced the diaphragm and kept on whistling. Then my alternator failed. Replaced it and the whistling went away.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by phrequenc View Post
      hey everyone i never thought id need to make a post on here becuase this website has been extremely helpful. but here i am asking for advice.

i recently encountered a broken oil filter housing diaphragm so i replaced the whole housing. previously it was whistling, i knew immediately it was the issue. after replacing it and starting it up test drive all was well. after about a 20m ride, the whistle came back on the new housing.

my vacuum when pulling out dipstick or taking off the oil cap is excellent.

so my question for advice i have is, where should i check next? i dont want to risk damaging the engine by continuing to drive but i have noi choice as this is my daily driver.
      One thing you can try is removing the alternator belt and drive belts for a quick, about 30 second test. If the whine goes away, this would tell you that the alternator could be bad like what the above user said.

Before the oil filter housing was replaced, how long did it take for the whistle to start, immediately? If it happened right away and now it takes 20 mins to start I would bet there is another issue.
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

honestly i dont recall when the whistling was starting on the old PCV simply because majority of the time i was driving with the dipstick tube out. i recently purchased the car. after getting the oilchanged is when i found out about the howling.

i would like to update; that the engine only makes the howling when its HOT/20m of driving..

i verified the diaphragm was in good shape, its fine.

i am now rough idling and howling.

sometimes i can pop a p2187 w/ p0507.

i dont think the coils/plugs because when the engine is cold or first 20 minutes of driving its fine.

significant loss of power regardless of howling / rough idle.

when i start driving or put a small load on the engine (like when taking off from a start) the howling slightly subsides.

For the rough idle, read the link below but I would look at the idle air control valve (IAC).

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...hp?f=1&t=47533

Also take a look at this

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...n-shutting-off

When the car starts to whine, does removing the dipstick get rid of the whine? It shouldn't if you've just changed the PCV. Also have you tried removing the alternator belt and seeing if the whine persists? From the video it sounds pretty loud and could be a worn out bearing.

Lastly, an S40 user over on another site reported the same P2187 code, and replace the fuel pressure sender which solved their issue. They did not have the P0507 code also but did report after replacing the FPS that the idle and RPM was much smoother.
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His

thanks, ill check both of those out

im beginning to believe it is the turbo becuase the noise is not anything like other howling from pcv ive heard.

If you are thinking turbo, I would take off of the pipes leading to the intercooler and see if there are any metal shavings inside. This happened to another user and they were able to diagnose a bad turbo through this without having to take off the turbo. Additionally I would take a look at the boost pressure sensor at the same time. If this is oily, I would replace it and see if that helps with the codes. I highly doubt it would help with the whine.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements