Ignition Coil Issues
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Ignition Coil Issues

I have a problem that started when I replacing my spark plugs with some NGK Ruthenium plugs. After I finished this project I was getting some minor idle issues and some occasional stumbling when hard accelerating although my gas mileage rose to 24 mpg for a full tank. I decided to get some OEM spark plugs from FCP Euro and when I installed them tmy XC60 barley could be driven because of the stumbling. I threw a few codes for Cylinder 1-3 and multiple misfires.

I think I have an issue with Ignitions coils because of the codes i found.

2016 Volvo XC60 T6 3.0l Inscription 73,000 miles

I am planning on replacing all of the ignition coils to see if this corrects the problem. I purchased some STI coils from eEuruparts.com for a great price. Hopefully this works.

I am wondering if anyone else had developed some issues with ignition coils when replacing spark plugs. The wiring harness is quite tight and i did find an exposed wire for cylinder #1 (1/8" exposed), I taped this wire.

I will let my Volvo dealer look at it if this does help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I recently replaced the stock plugs and coils with ruthenium plugs and new coils. No issues before or after. Just preventative maintenance at 60k miles.

I'd pop in the ruthenium plugs again.

Make sure the plugs are gapped to .028. Otherwise that could be the issue. I'd only use OEM Coils as some people have had issues witth aftermarket ones not working out of the box or failing within a few months. Also make sure you are torquing the plugs correctly.
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Why did you change the plugs to start? What were their condition? After you installed the NGK plugs, were there any new codes? After installing the Volvo plugs, were there any codes besides misfire on 1-3? Since the problem worsened twice, a new issue may have been introduced. Cylinder misfires on 1-3 do not necessarily mean plugs or coils were the fault. Did you test individual coils, like moving them to another cylinder and seeing if there was a difference? If it remains the same it is not the coil and could be the wires or something else. But if the problem moves to another cylinder, it is likely the coil.
      Last edited by blindkarma; 03-21-2020 at 08:54 AM.
      2008 S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus with Polestar, Rich Java.

Make sure to clean oxidation on coil's ground contact and on the valve cover, and torque the bolt properly. This is not just the bolt holding the coil pack, but it's an electrical ground contact. Coil will be fried without this ground.

I went back and check all the ignition coil wire connectors and switched the #1 and #2 wire connectors with each other and now my XC60 runs fine.
      This is simple mistake that can happen when you remove the coil wiring harness when replacing spark plugs so make you reinstall correctly.

Also my NGK Ruthenium plugs are gapped at 0.40 and they work fine. This is the proper gap for this vehicle (2016 XC60 T6 3.0) and these plugs.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Oh ****. You plugged the wrong connectors to two coils.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements