Park Assist Pilot-Use case
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Park Assist Pilot-Use case

I really would like to get the Park Assist Pilot, as I just like all the bells and whistles. However, my dear has an XC60 optioned almost EXACTLY like I'd order, except it does not have PAP.

I feel pretty competent in parallel parking, for the rare times I have to do it, and have ZERO need to use it for perpendicular parking (I always try to park in the north 40 away from everyone anyway!)

My use case would be pulling into a tight garage, with snowblowers, lawnmowers, wheelbarrows, etc on one side, and another car on the other. As I've been thinking about it, I don't even think it would help in this instance, since the approach would be straight ahead. Perpendicular parking is, well, perpendicular to the drive path, and then parallel wouldn't even be close to parking in my garage.

Is my analysis correct in that it wouldn't even be able to be used with parking in a garage?

(on another note, really Volvo, Why not just include it in all models and simplify the purchase process! You're only charging $200 so just throw it in!)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't have personal experience, but did observe a demo at the dealer and watching the advertisement for it on Volvos site seem to focus on the idea of parking between or around other vehicles. I'm not sure garages we're factored in with the tech in these vehicles. I'm sure someone with it can can shed more light on it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      CURRENT: 2019 Crystal White Pearl S60 T5 R-DESIGN w/ P*

PAST: 2012 Black S60 T5 w/Blonde Interior

Iím not sure I would trust PAP where there are irregular objects on either side ó itís not the documented use case as Iíve read from Volvo (which is where there are more solid objects like cars on either side), so as an X-software kinda guy that knows exceptions are what cause unexpected problems, Iíd beware using it in such situations.

FWIW, and Iím not trying to redirect you. What you are describing as a need IMO is more like the the Tesla Summon function I had on my former Model S. (Iím not talking about the more ďout thereĒ recent extension to Summon where it may supposedly find you in the parking lot by itself.) I first used Summon years ago, not a month after it installed itself OTA on my MS, where I had parked in 90-degree slot and some @#($* parked so close to my driver door when I got back, I would not be able to squeeze through between the vehicles, let alone open the door to get in. I used my FOB and caused the Tesla to reverse itself until I could easily open my door, let my passengers in, and I finished backing-out and was on my way. Summon allows it to be set to sense a max distance in front where to auto-stop, or max distance to reverse before it automatically stops, and you can always manually stop it via FOB access in a couple of ways. The car while itís maneuvering constantly evaluates obstructions around it, so e.g. if you step too close while itís moving or it senses something in front or behind it (a toy, dog, human, etc.) it either stops or will slow, adjust direction slightly and continue on. Itís a smart piece of programming Iím sad my 2020 T8 does not have, that I suspect Volvo could also implement if they wanted to ó It seems like my XC60 Inscription has all the hardware required, just not the programming that would be a logical extension of what PAP is trying to be. I miss using Summon on my weekly back-out of my garage when I wanted to wash the car to just bring a little smile to my face without getting in and letting the car back itself out to the center of my driveway, and in those annoying situations where crazies parked too close to my door to make re-entry easier vs crawling over the center console as us older-timers have probably done somewhere in our lives. Others on the Tesla forum I used to frequent LOVED Summon to stop in front of their garage or parking space, get out, and start Summon for it to drive forward into tight parking 90-degree parking spaces, garage, etc. where it would automatically stop at the designated distance from the front wall ahead.
      Bert

Present: Ď20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: Ď15 Tesla S90D; Ď14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; Ď09 335i; Ď06 RX400h; Ď02 SC430; Ď99 RX300; Ď95 SC300; Ď91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I think it's quite literally the dumbest option available. Yes it works (not for the garage you're talking about). But if you can't park you absolutely should not be driving. It doesn't work better than a halfway competent driver. The folks who should use it probably never get comfortable with trusting it. IMO it's there just because other makers have it and folks ask "does it park itself" and I say "yes" and then they say that's really cool but I'll probably never use it.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      I think it's quite literally the dumbest option available. Yes it works (not for the garage you're talking about). But if you can't park you absolutely should not be driving. It doesn't work better than a halfway competent driver. The folks who should use it probably never get comfortable with trusting it. IMO it's there just because other makers have it and folks ask "does it park itself" and I say "yes" and then they say that's really cool but I'll probably never use it.
      Oh, Iím laughing so hard. I completely agree with you. As geekie as I still can be, if I had to buy my 2020 XC60 T8 again this moment, Iíd skip the $200 option ó it has so many ďifís, andís, or butísĒ, I have yet to gain enough confidence to even try it. OTOH, if it included the Summon functionality I describe it above, Iíd have it in a moment.
      Bert

Present: Ď20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: Ď15 Tesla S90D; Ď14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; Ď09 335i; Ď06 RX400h; Ď02 SC430; Ď99 RX300; Ď95 SC300; Ď91 Legend...

I agree with above.. fairly useless... My only concern with parking next to someone if it is so tight as to have to use the summon feature is that the idiots next to me would ding my door.

Iíve only used it once for parallel parking. It was a dark and raining night and I was meeting friends and I found a really good spot on a street with with poor lighting. It parked me effortlessly. Iíve used it in parking lots for backing in, but mostly itís a gimmick as itís faster to just back in yourself. Nice to show off to people though.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

It's not reliable. Only works 2 out of 10 times so just skip it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Skip it. It's cool when it works especially for parallel parking but I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it in 2 years.

Also as mentioned it doesn't work for parking in a garage as you need to pull perpendicular to the "spot"... so unless you have a garage which has no driveway it won't work.
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum

I've never used it, so it's definitely something I think you can skip and never miss it.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Thanks every one for the responses! You've all confirmed my thoughts as well, which is 1) it won't help parking in a tight garage, 2) I really wouldn't have many opportunities to use it and 3) (for me)...the ONE TIME that it would be handy, and if I didn't have it, I'd be kicking myself for not holding out to get it! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      Thanks every one for the responses! You've all confirmed my thoughts as well, which is 1) it won't help parking in a tight garage, 2) I really wouldn't have many opportunities to use it and 3) (for me)...the ONE TIME that it would be handy, and if I didn't have it, I'd be kicking myself for not holding out to get it! LOL
      The 360 degree camera would be of much more use when parking in a garage as you can see all sides of the vehicle.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

It's only $200 worth, that says it all
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

The Park assist pilot adds side sensors to the front and rear bumper(in addition to the park assist sensors). When not using the park pilot they work like normal park assist sensors. I add them added post factory, so I have driven and parked in garages with and with out. It is very helpful for keeping the side clear when pulling in out (even with the 360cam) as it gives and audio warning and is more reliable at the rear were the 360cam drops off or gets distorted by stuff in the garage. I highly recommend the option, not for the auto parking, but for the extra sensors. Even at the extra I paid post factory install.

Quote Originally Posted by 7TD8UVU5 View Post
      The Park assist pilot adds side sensors to the front and rear bumper(in addition to the park assist sensors). When not using the park pilot they work like normal park assist sensors. I add them added post factory, so I have driven and parked in garages with and with out. It is very helpful for keeping the side clear when pulling in out (even with the 360cam) as it gives and audio warning and is more reliable at the rear were the 360cam drops off or gets distorted by stuff in the garage. I highly recommend the option, not for the auto parking, but for the extra sensors. Even at the extra I paid post factory install.
      Exactly this.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

I agree that the 360 camera shows you everything you need to know about where you Volvo is in relation to whatever is around you. The 360 camera is a super feature for skilled drivers and parkers.

360 camera is fantastic and should be a "must-have" feature, imo.

However, the Park Assist Pilot is a gimmick. If you don't ride the brake it will fail to park properly 98% of the time. And if you do ride the brake then parking becomes an aggravating and SLOW process. The system also requires more room than you really need, so if you think it'll help you park in TIGHT spots then think again -- it won't even try. It'll only work on spots that are large-ish, and those are the spots that any competent driver can park in, without assistance, more quickly than the system can.

I have it on my XC90 but never use it -

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      Iím not sure I would trust PAP where there are irregular objects on either side ó itís not the documented use case as Iíve read from Volvo (which is where there are more solid objects like cars on either side),...
      I have played around with this quite a bit - being a gadget guy. At first, I would have said "waste of money". For me, it certainly is. Why? Because I am considered to be a damn good driver and an excellent parker such that I can park the car backwards and have even spaces between the right and left side of the car. I would argue that many folks in the forums are probably in a similar situation.

Now, for the rest of the folks out there, "average" drivers IMO cannot park a car evenly and it's super annoying. This feature helps alleviate that which makes it very worthwhile to me.

For your use case, I would not be comfortable letting it self park with a car on one side and snowblower/tools on the other. BUT, I would try it first, see how it "views" the snowblower and stuff, and would then gain or not gain the confidence moving forward. For $200, it's a no brainer to have IMO.

TL;DR: works fine and I use it sometimes for parallel parking - I'd get it if it's $200.

I have it an do use it sporadically for parallel parking, especially when I have to "park out". It works pretty well and I've yet to see it fail. Mind you, I can easily parallel park a manual transmission car in the tightest spots and sloped narrow streets (think: an old town somewhere in Europe), but I love the convenience of having the car do it for you. The only annoying part is that you have to slow down and drive slightly past the parking spot, which won't work when there's traffic/impatient drivers behind you.

In my case, PAP was part of the "premium package" (pilot assist, HUD, etc.). If I had the option of adding it separately, then I would look at the cost. $200 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things (you're not buying a $15k Chevrolet) for a nice-to-have-even-if-not-often-used feature, but I would not opt for it if the price tag was $800, for example.

maybe for US it's only $200.. over here it's a package only option with the 360cam, amounting to 1750 euro
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      maybe for US it's only $200.. over here it's a package only option with the 360cam, amounting to 1750 euro
      It depends on the market, in some it is standard in R-Desing or Inscription.

In Germany, an extra charge is EUR 700

Price for 360į camera is 800-1000 EUR, so the price of 1750 EUR for the package is realistic
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by 7TD8UVU5 View Post
      Even at the extra I paid post factory install.
      How much did it cost to add?

On our 2020 XC60 Polestar, it wasn't even an option.

Price for 360į camera (only) here is 1450 EUR.
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Interestingly, the price in Greece is 875 EUR even though the price of XC60 Momentum is 13,000 EUR more expensive than in most EU countries
      Why this difference price , this is so interesting, especially since Greece and Cyprus are EU members
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Pricing is always set based on what the company thinks people will pay -- not based on what it cost to produce.

It's just not true, prices depend on customs and taxes. Singapore has one of the largest taxes and duties in the world for T6 R-Design cars $ 165,000 followed by Denmark, where the price is $ 118,000

In most EU member states, car taxes range from 17-26%

Price for XC60 D4 Momentum:
      46k EUR Germany
      50k EUR Austria
      49k EUR Spain
      48k EUR France
      50k EUR The Netherlands
      44k EUR Bulgaria
      44k EUR Romania
      49k EUR Italy

and .........................................
      Last edited by BigBang; 03-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by jattilah View Post
      How much did it cost to add?

On our 2020 XC60 Polestar, it wasn't even an option.
      It cost about $2700, but that was not my out of pocket cost due. Part of it was covered due to outside reasons(Can't discuss). What I payed was about %50, and the total cost of the car + plus the install was less the MSRP(so I still came out ahead). I found that it was worth it the cost as the side senors are very important to me(I park with just a few inches on either side when pulling in to may garage). I haven't used the auto parking at all(Expect to try).

Edit, I see the discution above about pricing. My understanding is that Volvo wants most car to have it, as it reduces the total cost(less type of wiring harness and less car to car changes on the line). So while the parts may cost more than the $200 price, the reduction in variation reduces there costs. That is in part why packages exists(Also to make levels in a car price so that if you want all of the useful feathers you need all of the packages).
      Last edited by 7TD8UVU5; 03-27-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      It's just not true, prices depend on customs and taxes. Singapore has one of the largest taxes and duties in the world for T6 R-Design cars $ 165,000 followed by Denmark, where the price is $ 118,000

In most EU member states, car taxes range from 17-26%

Price for XC60 D4 Momentum:
      46k EUR Germany
      50k EUR Austria
      49k EUR Spain
      48k EUR France
      50k EUR The Netherlands
      44k EUR Bulgaria
      44k EUR Romania
      49k EUR Italy

and .........................................
      XC60 D4 Momentum in Cyprus is currently 37.000 EUR

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Pricing is always set based on what the company thinks people will pay -- not based on what it cost to produce.
      Haha yeah - a fun example of this in practice is the outside white lettering (OWL) tires for some SUV's and pickup trucks. OWL tires cost less to source, but they were a +$249 MSRP option up on a 2011 F150.

I believe Jeremy Clarkson also poked fun at the sport packages on some high end cars as basically the buyer paying the automaker to remove seats and sound proofing to lighten the car. Why would someone pay more to get less?

XC60 D4 Momentum in Cyprus is currently 37.000 EUR
      Great, then you can buy Momentum with full equipment for the price of the base model in most EU countries

37k EUR price + 10k EUR extra equipment
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Great, then you can buy Momentum with full equipment for the price of the base model in most EU countries

37k EUR price + 10k EUR extra equipment
      Not really as the price of accessories, as I mentioned above, is way higher than other countries.
      For example the panoramic roof (sunroof) is 3.000 (not standard), r-design costs around 6k and so on. I have the full price list.

Not really as the price of accessories, as I mentioned above, is way higher than other countries.
      For example the panoramic roof (sunroof) is 3.000 (not standard), r-design costs around 6k and so on. I have the full price list.
      I don't understand you, you say they are expensive accessories.
      Here's an example:
      - in Cyprus, R Desing D4 is 43,000 EUR + panoramic roof 3000 EUR, = 46000 EUR
      - in Germany R Desing D4 55,000 EUR + panoramic roof 1550 EUR 56500 EUR

Same model with panoramic roof , price difference ONLY 10,500 EUR

Of course it's even cheaper when you get different packages, here's an example: Xenium-Package Pro 4.400 Ä. If you take all the options individually, the price is 2300 Euro more expensive

Xenium-Package Pro:
      Parking camera with 360 į surround view
      - Expanded air quality system with fine dust filtering according to air quality standard PM2.5
      - Automatic climate control with 4-zone temperature control
      - Panorama glass sunroof with lifting function with integrated, continuously adjustable sun protection (electrical)
      - Parking aid front and rear
      - Head-Up Display
      - Windscreen heating
      - Sensus Connect infotainment system with HIGH PERFORMANCE SOUND PRO by Harman / Kardon

I hope you now understand that you can get the same model with full equipment cheaper than in most EU countries, and you again complain that you have expensive accessories
      Last edited by BigBang; Yesterday at 10:05 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I don't understand you, you say they are expensive accessories.
      Here's an example:
      - in Cyprus, R Desing D4 is 43,000 EUR + panoramic roof 3000 EUR, = 46000 EUR
      - in Germany R Desing D4 55,000 EUR + panoramic roof 1550 EUR 56500 EUR

Same model with panoramic roof , price difference ONLY 10,500 EUR

Of course it's even cheaper when you get different packages, here's an example: Xenium-Package Pro 4.400 Ä. If you take all the options individually, the price is 2300 Euro more expensive

Xenium-Package Pro:

I hope you now understand that you can get the same model with full equipment cheaper than in most EU countries, and you again complain that you have expensive accessories
      Unlike you, I never complained about the car, its price nor its accessories. So please don't tell me what I do and do not understand.
      Also I've stated a fact. If you can't understand, do read again. The accessories are over priced.
      10k optional equipment is not full equipment. Nowhere near.
      B&W, Blis, 360 Camera, Power Seat, R-Design. = ~12k

Unlike you, I never complained about the car, its price nor its accessories. So please don't tell me what I do and do not understand.
      Also I've stated a fact. If you can't understand, do read again. The accessories are over priced.
      10k optional equipment is not full equipment. Nowhere near.
      B&W, Blis, 360 Camera, Power Seat, R-Design. = ~12k
      Yes, you persistently cry that equipment is expensive, do not state how much the base model costs
      37k EUR + 12k B&W, Blis, 360 Camera, Power Seat, R-Design = 49.000 EUR

The same model in most EU countries costs around Ä 63,000-65,000

Yes expensive is an accessory but you get the same model for 14k-16k cheaper, keep crying about how expensive the accessory is
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements