Castrol Edge Prof. V 0W-20 Oil Required For all 2015+ vehicles with VER 4cyl Engine
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Castrol Edge Prof. V 0W-20 Oil Required For all 2015+ vehicles with VEP 4cyl Engine

Yesterday, I had my oil changed at the dealer and when checking out my service advisor reviewed the work performed. He wanted me to know that from now on, Volvo is requiring that Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 oil must be used when any oil service is completed for "All model year vehicles (2015-)". He provided me with a copy of Volvo's TIE, Technical Information Exchange, Ref No. US 34740 1.3 en-US, dated 1-27-20. It is "Updated to include all model year vehicles built using the 4 cylinder VEP engine". It also states "Volvo will not pay for any oil maintenance claims that are performed without using Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 oil" It also states, "The U.S. and Canadian markets will follow the extreme driving conditions recommendation".
      Last edited by SKY-KING; 03-21-2020 at 07:32 PM.
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Engine durability issue come to light??

I dono about Canada but if manual saying 5w 30 or 0w20 they cant say not to fix or replace the engine if you were using other brand oil or 5w30 this illegal. Unless they send this letter to every owner themselves but they still cant force you to use "Castrol Edge Professional V" They will lose in any court no matter how good or how many lawyers they have. BNW was trying to pull same crap but they lost their oil consumption lawsuit .
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Has more to say about the crappy 5w30 oil that NA dealers used than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

0-20 might be fine for a northern Europe or northern North American winter, but doesn't it seem a little risky for 90 -100+ F degree summers?

Quote Originally Posted by SKY-KING View Post
      "The U.S. and Canadian markets will follow the extreme driving conditions recommendation".
      I would think that 'extreme driving conditions' in Minnesota and Canada are different than those in Texas.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

He provided me with a copy of Volvo's TIE, Technical Information Exchange, Ref No. US 34740 1.3 en-US, dated 1-27-20.
      How about loading a copy?

I just had my oil changed a week ago @ 10,000 scheduled maintenance and the service report says they used Castrol Edge Professional 5W-30 - would seem to be at odds with the TIE?

Engine Oil

Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      0-20 might be fine for a northern Europe or northern North American winter, but doesn't it seem a little risky for 90 -100+ F degree summers?
      I agree with gak and others. 0W-20 might be appropriate for Skandinavia, Canada and northern states of USA but hardly for the southern states or the Australian climate, where we frequently have to endure 40 degrees plus (Celsius) for more than 3 days in a row.
      Jeep had a similar issue here in Australia. My previous CRD 3.0 was initially meant to be lubricated with 0W-30 but this was changed (official Jeep memo) after 2 years to 0W-40, reportedly due to crankshaft bearing issues.

Ha, DirkOzzie we have long looked to Austrailian oil recommendations. Too often in the US the oil type is driven by gas mileage. Learned this with a Series 80 Landcruiser.

They can mandate 0W-20 and synthetic but they cannot mandate an exact brand unless they are going to provide the oil for free to all consumers. Also as mentioned, without a mass recall notice they cannot say "Volvo will not pay for any oil maintenance claims that are performed without using Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 oil".
      Thems are facts.
      '15 V60 T5-E Sport

These cars show an ACEA A5B5 oil certification. I use Motul 8100 Eco-Nergy 5w-30 that meets this spec for vehicles that come to our shop. I also pose the question....Is 10k between oil changes really good for the engine? If it's my car, I'm doing oil closer to 5k.

Some of our members requested a copy of the TIE mentioned in my initial post. It is three pages so I scanned it below:
      Attached Files Attached Files

I remember seeing something about this late last year, but when I got my oil changed at the dealer in Jan, they still used 5W30.
      17 V60 P* RB

I've just changed the oil in my wife's '14 XC70. I realize that the TI you've referenced refers to '15 4 cyl engines but the oil requirements stated in her XC70 owner's manual and the stated oil requirements stated in my 2019 V90's manual did not change. Both require the use of ACEA A5/B5 rated oils. I went with Liqui Moly's Special Tec for Volvos which clearly shows the Volvo specifications on the label. I'm thinking the directive you've cited is requiring Volvo Dealers to use the Castrol when performing oil changes or else Volvo will not pay them for the oil. Note that the 0W-30 is Volvo's extreme condition rating.
      Last edited by csiever; 03-26-2020 at 03:16 AM.
      Current Volvo's Owned:
      2019 New V90 R Design T5 Crystal White Metallic With RaceChip GTS
      2014 New XC70 3.2L Flamenco Red Metallic

Previous Volvo's Owned:
      2016 New XC70 Classic T5 Magic Blue
      2014 New XC90 3.2L Ice White
      2008 New S60 2.5L Barents Blue With IPD ECU Mapping
      1994 New 854 Flamenco Red Metallic
      1994 Used 944T Teal Metallic with Manual Boost Control Valve
      1986 New 764T Graphite Metallic
      1959 Used Pv544 Dark Brown Metallic

What a bunch of mumbo jumbo. As csiever stated, my owner's manual states A5/B5 0W-30 for extreme driving conditions.

Shot my service tech the TIE and asked her to get VNOA's take on things.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

You guys are over complicating this. A 2014 XC70 has nothing to do with this. 4 cylinder engines (Drive-E) have an updated oil specification. That's it. Use whatever you want that meets the VCC RBS0-2AE spec.
      Last edited by Tech; 03-26-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Usually, the manufacturer (Volvo) would send out an announcement updating the owner's manual and a directive with a sticker or a replacement page to replace the page in the owner's manual. Many owners like to change their own oil and they should be advised directly by Volvo if there is a change of oil specification. In reviewing the oil spec for 0W-20 oil by Castrol, and many others, there is no ACEA A5/B5 for the 0W-20 weight. I could only find ACEA A1/B1 for Castrol, Pennzoil Ultra platinum, and Liqui-Moly.
      I also contacted VONA and the rep did not know about the TIE and she said she would check. A few hours later she contacted me and requested I forward a copy of the TIE and the name of my Volvo dealer. I have not heard from them for three days.

Also, the Castrol USA website does not show the required "professional" 0W20. It also is used by VW/Audi for some applications, so perhaps it is not widely available here, or is sold under another name.

Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      Also, the Castrol USA website does not show the required "professional" 0W20. It also is used by VW/Audi for some applications, so perhaps it is not widely available here, or is sold under another name.
      Some Volvo dealers sell it at retail in one-liter containers, most only have it in bulk multi-gallon drums for in-house oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Savedsol View Post
      "Volvo will not pay for any oil maintenance claims that are performed without using Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 oil".

Volvo may be referring to the dealers getting reimbursed for the free oil change that's included on new vehicles for 3yrs. Volvo is telling dealers that if they don't use the official program oil, they won't be reimbursed.

Castrol does a lot of oil programs for different car manufacturers in the US market. When I was with a Japanese car company, the official oil in Japan was Idemitsu, but in the US market, Castrol was selected as the official oil program vendors to dealers because Castrol had agreed to pay for part of the companies racing program (racing program was the Sr VP's personal interest). So at times, these oil supplier decisions are not based on anything technical, but pure business/costs/ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by AJS1KR View Post
      Volvo may be referring to the dealers getting reimbursed for the free oil change that's included on new vehicles for 3yrs. Volvo is telling dealers that if they don't use the official program oil, they won't be reimbursed.

Castrol does a lot of oil programs for different car manufacturers in the US market. When I was with a Japanese car company, the official oil in Japan was Idemitsu, but in the US market, Castrol was selected as the official oil program vendors to dealers because Castrol had agreed to pay for part of the companies racing program (racing program was the Sr VP's personal interest). So at times, these oil supplier decisions are not based on anything technical, but pure business/costs/ROI.
      Bingo! I think it dealt with reimbursement to dealers that don't use the Castrol.
      Current Volvo's Owned:
      2019 New V90 R Design T5 Crystal White Metallic With RaceChip GTS
      2014 New XC70 3.2L Flamenco Red Metallic

Previous Volvo's Owned:
      2016 New XC70 Classic T5 Magic Blue
      2014 New XC90 3.2L Ice White
      2008 New S60 2.5L Barents Blue With IPD ECU Mapping
      1994 New 854 Flamenco Red Metallic
      1994 Used 944T Teal Metallic with Manual Boost Control Valve
      1986 New 764T Graphite Metallic
      1959 Used Pv544 Dark Brown Metallic

It isn't about brand, it's about the VCC RBS0-2AE specification. Yes, Castrol is what we use at the dealer. But any VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 is fine. That specification is Volvo's, not an ACEA or API specification.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      It isn't about brand, it's about the VCC RBS0-2AE specification. Yes, Castrol is what we use at the dealer. But any VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 is fine. That specification is Volvo's, not an ACEA or API specification.
      Other than the dealer drums, here's the only Volvo-spec stuff I can find on the web--not sure if they have this at parts stores:
      https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils...v-0w-20-1.html - FCP Euro sells this in oil change kits
      https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1A15...5396120&sr=8-1
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      Other than the dealer drums, here's the only Volvo-spec stuff I can find on the web--not sure if they have this at parts stores:
      https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils...v-0w-20-1.html - FCP Euro sells this in oil change kits
      https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1A15...5396120&sr=8-1
      For those following the links - the Liqui Moly is also available on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZYWSTP...v_ov_lig_dp_it -

It is also a good bit cheaper than the Ravenol

LM = $39.00 @ 5L and free shipping = $7.80/L

Ravenol is $56 @ 4L +$5 shipping = $15.25/L

Check out this thread, very interesting to see Volvo N.A. adopt this now...
      '15 V60 | T5 Drive-E (Serial within potential piston ring failure batch)

Liqui Moly that meets Volvo's E engine oil specification is available in 0W-20 weight, either 1 Liter ($7.55) or 5 liter size ($33.35) or 0W-30 weight, either 1 liter (7.75) or 5 liter size ($34.65) is available at Car Parts Discount: https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...html?3594=2272.

Liqui Moly that meets Volvo's E engine oil specification is available in 0W-20 weight, either 1 Liter ($7.55) or 5 liter size ($33.35) or 0W-30 weight, either 1 liter (7.75) or 5 liter size ($34.65) is available at Car Parts Discount: https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...html?3594=2272.
      Note that the 0W-30 meets Volvo Spec. VCC 95200377 - not sure how it compares to the VCC RBS0-2AE specification - but did want to point out that it is a different spec.

I received an answer from VCNA regarding the above issue. Their response is attached:
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by SKY-KING; 04-01-2020 at 12:11 AM.

There you go. Everyone everywhere should be using the Volvo approved VCC RBS0-2AE 0W20 oil. Thank you. Case closed please.

You guys are over complicating this. A 2014 XC70 has nothing to do with this. 4 cylinder engines (Drive-E) have an updated oil specification. That's it. Use whatever you want that meets the VCC RBS0-2AE spec.
      Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      There you go. Everyone everywhere should be using the Volvo approved VCC RBS0-2AE 0W20 oil. Thank you. Case closed please.
      Maybe third time's the charm?

Maybe third time's the charm?
      You guys are dreaming - right?
      Maybe the end on this thread, but give it a little while and it will come up again, and again, and again.

This clearly isn't over - drum roll - now enters the Moss-Magnuson Act from stage right.

16 CFR § 700.10 Prohibited tying.

(a) Section 102(c), 15 U.S.C. 2302(c), prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

I don't think that we are quite there yet as I still have not seen anything that expressly conditions warranty coverage on use if Castrol Pro 0W20. The original TIE seems to be conditioning reimbursement to the dealer on use of this oil (would need to understand how it is interpreted a bit better). Said changes to the manual have not been made yet, so will be curious to see how they actually do it and I would argue that simply making a change online is not sufficient - they need to send a letter to all owners as this is a material change to maintenance requirements. Devil will be in the details of how they further communicate this. That said, could still make an argument that given they are stipulating that only a single brand of oil be used the tying arrangement exists.

BTW - I did look at the UK manual and VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 is the only oil and weight specified. For extreme conditions it simply stipulates more frequent changes, not a change to oil weight/viscosity. They upper temperature threshold for what constitutes extreme driving conditions is 104 deg. F (assuming that is ambient air temperature).

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements