"Tesla Model 3 NOT safer than the Volvo S60" YouTube
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

"Tesla Model 3 NOT safer than the Volvo S60" YouTube

This video popped up in my recommended on YouTube. It was very informative and I thought it was cool how well the S60 being as old of a platform it is held up against a Tesla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4D...ature=youtu.be

Summary: The video debunked Elon Musk when he unveiled the Tesla Model 3 and showed its side impact compared to the S60. The Model 3 crumpled much less than the S60 during the tests. He then declared the Model 3 the safest sedan. However, the video then shows the facts behind each crash test and explains that while the S60 crash looked worse, the occupants received much less shock and pressure mainly to their heads and bodies. It was really interesting.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

From what I understand, Volvo does a lot of this intentionally. Crumpling is good as it is energy being absorbed. A stiff structure may look better after, but it doesn’t absorb energy and instead transmit it to the occupants of the vehicle. The thing only I would like to see is if there were any pressure applied to the occupants. Interesting video though.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

Volvo Crash - Worst case = broken arm/leg.

Tesla Crash - Worst case = Severe head injury/concussion, broken neck/spine.

Someone needs to remind Elon that crash tests aren't about how well the car fares, it's about the human inside.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I’m glad someone made a video about this! I was so annoyed by that press conference... Acting like the byproduct of needing to protect the batteries was also protecting the occupants
      Current: 2014 S60 T5 White
      Previous: 2010 S40 2.4i Silver | 2002 S60 T5M Gray | 1993 850 GLT Red

Quote Originally Posted by StarmanDXE View Post
      I’m glad someone made a video about this! I was so annoyed by that press conference... Acting like the byproduct of needing to protect the batteries was also protecting the occupants
      Yes, I just saw this video on YouTube and thought it was intriguing. This also isn't the first time Tesla has pulled a stunt like this. Musk bragged about the Model S being the safest car on the road when it was introduced. However, in the small overlap test it received an "acceptable" score. While that isn't terrible the vast majority of cars that come out today even compacts score "good" in this test. It wasn't something to brag about. Better yet after the Teslas rating got posted by IIHS, Tesla stopped testing the Model S through IIHS.

That brings me to another point. ALL manufacturers should be required to have all their models tested by IIHS (or another institution) and be posted for public view. IIHS tests the vast majority of car however some makers don't test. Consumers should have the right to view these stats. It's safety after all.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by StarmanDXE View Post
      Yes, I just saw this video on YouTube and thought it was intriguing. This also isn't the first time Tesla has pulled a stunt like this. Musk bragged about the Model S being the safest car on the road when it was introduced. However, in the small overlap test it received an "acceptable" score. While that isn't terrible the vast majority of cars that come out today even compacts score "good" in this test. It wasn't something to brag about. Better yet after the Teslas rating got posted by IIHS, Tesla stopped testing the Model S through IIHS.

That brings me to another point. ALL manufacturers should be required to have all their models tested by IIHS (or another institution) and be posted for public view. IIHS tests the vast majority of car however some makers don't test. Consumers should have the right to view these stats. It's safety after all.
      IIHS is a non-profit started by insurance companies. They test vehicles as they see fit, or based on availability. It is a good secondary resource with some unique testing schemes.

However, the NHTSA (funded by the taxpayer) is the federal agency which is tasked to test every single vehicle sold on the U.S. market. All of their data is available online. The ratings might be distilled down to a star system for the masses, but the reports are exhaustive, with everything from accelerometer data from the vehicle and the Hybrid III dummies to visual data. Download and read the "technical reports" from the 2012 S60 in the link; makes for good reading if your home being physically isolated like most the country. httpss://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2012/VOLVO/S60/4%252520DR/AWD

Some might argue the metrics used by either IIHS or NHTSA are more realistic scenarios (or not), regardless, the data is out there for all vehicles from the NHTSA.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      IIHS is a non-profit started by insurance companies. They test vehicles as they see fit, or based on availability. It is a good secondary resource with some unique testing schemes.

However, the NHTSA (funded by the taxpayer) is the federal agency which is tasked to test every single vehicle sold on the U.S. market. All of their data is available online. The ratings might be distilled down to a star system for the masses, but the reports are exhaustive, with everything from accelerometer data from the vehicle and the Hybrid III dummies to visual data. Download and read the "technical reports" from the 2012 S60 in the link; makes for good reading if your home being physically isolated like most the country. httpss://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2012/VOLVO/S60/4%252520DR/AWD

Some might argue the metrics used by either IIHS or NHTSA are more realistic scenarios (or not), regardless, the data is out there for all vehicles from the NHTSA.
      Wow I didn't know that NHTSA posted data like IIHS. Still just from looking at my cars and Tesla's data there are some gaps. For instance, it says that my 2019 XC90 doesn't feature "crash imminent braking" or "dynamic brake support." After reading the descriptions for what that is I can you assure you it does. Also like IIHS many of the crash tests for the Tesla cars are nowhere to be found.

Wow I didn't know that NHTSA posted data like IIHS. Still just from looking at my cars and Tesla's data there are some gaps. For instance, it says that my 2019 XC90 doesn't feature "crash imminent braking" or "dynamic brake support." After reading the descriptions for what that is I can you assure you it does. Also like IIHS many of the crash tests for the Tesla cars are nowhere to be found.
      All road cars have to be tested by the NHTSA and found to be compliant with all FMVSS regulations to be certified for sale in the U.S. Look at the reasons why certain cars aren't sold here (such as the famous historical example being the 959).

They will not always test every year of each model, only when a structural redesign of the vehicle is made. Say if you're looking for Model S data on crash resistance, the 2013 page shows it all, the 2014 page shows the 2013 data and images, and the following years show nothing, as the car has not changed at all.

Not sure why they don't have all the options listed for the XC90, but that's probably just an oversight or difference in terminology. They don't consider City Safety to be Collision avoidance, even thought the car will physically brake and stop under 19 MPH; they refer to it only as "Forward Collision Warning."
      Last edited by p.rico; 03-24-2020 at 03:24 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

All road cars have to be tested by the NHTSA and found to be compliant with all FMVSS regulations to be certified for sale in the U.S. Look at the reasons why certain cars aren't sold here (such as the famous historical example being the 959).

They will not always test every year of each model, only when a structural redesign of the vehicle is made. Say if you're looking for Model S data on crash resistance, the 2013 page shows it all, the 2014 page shows the 2013 data and images, and the following years show nothing, as the car has not changed at all.

Not sure why they don't have all the options listed for the XC90, but that's probably just an oversight or difference in terminology. They don't consider City Safety to be Collision avoidance, even thought the car will physically brake and stop under 19 MPH; they refer to it only as "Forward Collision Warning."
      That sounds good on paper but here's a list of cars I couldn't find data on. Current body style LR Range Rover, Tesla Model X, current body style Audi Q7. I looked these up one after another as these are all cars we considered in the past.

As for the XC90 I think this is an oversight. The XC90 has some of the most advanced safety tech on the market. It received a score of 94% for safety assist systems from Euro NCAP. It's definitely a mistake on the part NHTSA. However, as I've looked through their different ratings it seems this is the case on every car the NHTSA tests. It seems as they don't even test the safety systems in cars and then mark them as not having them which is very misleading.

That sounds good on paper but here's a list of cars I couldn't find data on. Current body style LR Range Rover, Tesla Model X, current body style Audi Q7. I looked these up one after another as these are all cars we considered in the past.

As for the XC90 I think this is an oversight. The XC90 has some of the most advanced safety tech on the market. It received a score of 94% for safety assist systems from Euro NCAP. It's definitely a mistake on the part NHTSA. However, as I've looked through their different ratings it seems this is the case on every car the NHTSA tests. It seems as they don't even test the safety systems in cars and then mark them as not having them which is very misleading.
      Tesla Model X ratings from NHTSA ---> https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/T...20P90D/SUV/AWD
      Audi Q7 ratings from NHTSA --> https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/AUDI/Q7

As for the Range Rover, it could be (and this is a presumption) that the European ECAP is enough for NHTSA to ensure safety since the car is a global platform and conforms to both European and U.S. FMVSS standards (as it has to be to be sold here). Again, this is speculation on my part though.

Tesla Model X ratings from NHTSA ---> https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/T...20P90D/SUV/AWD
      Audi Q7 ratings from NHTSA --> https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/AUDI/Q7

As for the Range Rover, it could be (and this is a presumption) that the European ECAP is enough for NHTSA to ensure safety since the car is a global platform and conforms to both European and U.S. FMVSS standards (as it has to be to be sold here). Again, this is speculation on my part though.
      Thank you it get kinda annoying when you're looking for the crash test ratings and they're under a different year even though the car is the same.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements