Did anyone cross shop with a 2020 rx450h?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Curious if anyone has looked at the Lexus Rx450h for its hybrid technology on top of its luxury laurels? I love the XC60 but came across this model in my youtube feed. Although it may be pitted against an XC90, the 5 passenger seat version seems like a model to cross-shop with the smaller XC60. Has anyone test-driven both models to describe their likes and dislikes?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vtec1994 View Post
      Curious if anyone has looked at the Lexus Rx450h for its hybrid technology on top of its luxury laurels? I love the XC60 but came across this model in my youtube feed. Although it may be pitted against an XC90, the 5 passenger seat version seems like a model to cross-shop with the smaller XC60. Has anyone test-driven both models to describe their likes and dislikes?
      I have not driven MY20 RX450h or even seen it. However, from my MY16 cross-shopping, the RX450h was not even close to the XC90 in terms of cargo space and much more.

The XC90 and 4Runner have equivalent cargo space. I cannot imagine who could or even would try to set in a third row of RX450h unless Toyota stretched by 12-24 inches.

What are the MY20 specs? Just curious!
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 03-22-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added “and much more.”
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Personally, this is one of the uglier SUV.
      Only 308HP and engine 3.5L V-6 cyl and transmission CVT
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Just go sit in the driver's seat of each. The Lexus is nice, but the Volvo is so incredibly comfortable, especially on a long drive, that I think there is no comparison. YMMV, but that's a very important criterion for my car selection.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

I drove the Lexus. It's close in size to the xc90 but has cargo capacity that probably isn't as useful as the XC60. It also has horrendous visibility.

I've read that they improved their infotainment system but it was laughable when I looked.

It's not a good choice if you value the utility comment of an suv.

In the plus side, I thoughtt the seats were wildly comfortable. And, as much as the styling is polarizing, at least it's not cookie cutter.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

I did drive the 2020 RX450h. Skibum50 is right that the comfort of the XC60 is noticeably better.

The center console is just too busy for my taste.

Lastly, in using the build your own to get all the features you want, the price climbs pretty quickly to outfit it like an XC60 T8 Inscription.

Once you have it built and send it to your local Lexus dealer, there is no way to get it the way you wanted it. I would have had to special order one with the exact specs I wanted. 3-4 months for delivery.

In the end, I stuck with the XC60, and it should be delivered to my dealer this Wednesday. Bad news is I cannot buy it until the PA Gov says car dealers can sell again. So, I wait.

I test drove the 2020 RX hybrid. Bought the XC60, T5, Momentum, AWD, all three packages. Would have bought the Lexus if the local dealer had much to select from - wrong colors, lots of extra options driving a much higher price, and as someone else mentioned it would take 3-4 months for a custom order. i liked Lexus reputation for reliability, they have a top notch dealer here in Central Pa, the ride quality and quietness seemed a bit better. The infotainment system, while improved, had a strange touchpad down low and a hard to reach touchscreen on top of the dash, it washed out in sunlight on the test drive. Volvo's admittedly has a learning curve, and I rarely touch it while driving, but I have not had it wash out on bright days. No car is perfect but overall I am very happy with the Volvo after four months. Also test drove a RDX, didn't seem to match up to either the Volvo or Lexus, although it was the cheapest.

Yes my wife did cross shop and drove both the 202 RX350 and Rx450h. My wife decided she preferred the Volvo XC60 better.

The Lexus technology is behind Volvo. While the ride seems smoother, she enjoyed driving the XC60 Inscription T8 way better. Plus you get a tax benefit for purchasing a plugin vs a hybrid.

I already own a 2018 Volvo S99 T8 so I’m glad we will soon be having only Volvo’s in the garage. Her car is waiting in line to get on ship to head over this month to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We cross shopped the RX350 and the RX450h when we were shopping earlier this month. We ended up with the XC60. The Lexus were nice - it probably rode the best of the cars we tested in terms of ride softness; however, it was a fair amount more expensive than the XC60 we were considering (we were crossing it against a T5 Inscription, so the cost delta would obviously depend on which XC60 you're considering).

We wanted to drive both to compare the engines in the regular gas RX and the hydrid RX. One interesting thing the salesman told us while we were driving the gas model is that the RX350 can run just fine on regular gas (even though is says premium), but the 450h is a V6 with hybrid and is considered a "performance hybrid" and actually does require premium gas, so the increased gas mileage is, at least partially, offset by having to use more expensive gas.

Now, whether that is all nonsense or not, I don't know for certain - I don't know why he'd try to move us away from the more expensive version, but who knows.

Aside from that, the RX was a nice car overall, but my wife strongly preferred the Volvo, and since it was her car, that's what we ended up with.

Can’t compare with xc60 but the test drive of the rx450h was sadly not impressive. And the technology they use for entertainment is plain sad. Call the sensus what you want. Slow buggy, the Lexus looks just basic.
      Will you be able to kill the Lexus? Absolutely not. Bulletproof cars. I gave up trying to kill the RX400 @165000 miles.
      Would I look at the Lexus again after locking the doors at a parking lot? NO
      I do look at my V90 tho

Quote Originally Posted by NativeTxn View Post
      We cross shopped the RX350 and the RX450h when we were shopping earlier this month. We ended up with the XC60. The Lexus were nice - it probably rode the best of the cars we tested in terms of ride softness; however, it was a fair amount more expensive than the XC60 we were considering (we were crossing it against a T5 Inscription, so the cost delta would obviously depend on which XC60 you're considering).

We wanted to drive both to compare the engines in the regular gas RX and the hydrid RX. One interesting thing the salesman told us while we were driving the gas model is that the RX350 can run just fine on regular gas (even though is says premium), but the 450h is a V6 with hybrid and is considered a "performance hybrid" and actually does require premium gas, so the increased gas mileage is, at least partially, offset by having to use more expensive gas.

Now, whether that is all nonsense or not, I don't know for certain - I don't know why he'd try to move us away from the more expensive version, but who knows.

Aside from that, the RX was a nice car overall, but my wife strongly preferred the Volvo, and since it was her car, that's what we ended up with.
      I'm pretty sure the RX350 is premium recommended not required.

I can attest to 89 no problem for the RX

It's interesting to see how many people cross show the two models even though they don't directly compete with each other. Like you, I did the exact same thing. My parents and I were both looking for a luxury SUV. We both tried both the models and had bought one of the models within the last 2 months. My parents ended up with the RX450h and I bought the XC60 T8. Here are the main decision points between both the models:

Size
      The RX450h is a midsize luxury SUV while the XC60 T8 is a compact luxury SUV. There's definitely more room in the RX but the exterior is also larger. If you need the extra space in the second row, and you're willing to compromise on some of the things below, go for the RX.

Commute
      This was the largest decision point for me. My commute is less than 15 miles a day while my parents has a commute of around 30 miles. The XC60 T8 is a plug in hybrid meaning that you can drive in all electric for up to 19miles(EPA numbers). That fits perfectly for my commute as I can theoretically go all electric if I'm reasonably gentle with the throttle. The RX is a normal hybrid. They can only go up to 25mph in all electric and you have to be really really gentle with the throttle. If there's a hill, forget about it. So if your commute is less than 19 miles or you have access to a charging station at work, then the XC60 T8 will be worth it in terms of gas savings.

Power
      The RX450h is a heavy car. The power it produces is adequate for what it is. 0-60 is leisurely at best and because it has a CVT, you will hear a drown if you press the pedal down more than half way. The XC60 is completely the opposite. It has a traditional 8 speed automatic and produces more than 400hp. 0-60 in a bit under 5 seconds. It's definitely the performer between the two. If you live somewhere that has really short merging lanes and need the extra power, you should get the XC60.

Reliability
      Lexus is definitely more reliable than the Volvo. Just look at how many old RXs on the roads compared to old XC60s. If you plan on keeping the car forever and don't like trips to the repair shop, get the Lexus.

Interior
      Both luxury SUVs have their own flavor. The XC60 is Swedish simplicity while the Lexus is Japanese techno sophistication. I actually like the Lexus interior a little better but I think the Volvo might age a little better.

At the end of the day, I mainly ordered the XC60 because of the plugin hybrid feature and it's power. I'm a bit of a petro head so I like to accelerate quickly. Also, I did the OSD (hoping it's still on track) so that is something that you can't do with Lexus. For me, the purchase is more of an emotional purchase than a logical one. I want to drive the car in Europe and make once in a lifetime memories with my family in it. I also got to build it exactly as I wanted without needing to negotiate with the dealer.

My parents on the other hand wanted quite the opposite. They want a car that'll last forever and one that makes logical sense. They also didn't care much for the OSD delivery and customization as they pretty much picked every available option available and that's what the dealers had. Hence they picked the RX450h.

At the end of the day, we're both really happy with our decision. For you, it really depends on what you want more. Both are really great cars and you can't go wrong!

The RX450h uses a CVT so that immediately excludes it from any serious consideration, in my book.

I did cross-shop the RX350 AWD, which was "okay" but the pricing was higher, the packages/options were confusing, dealer inventory was awkwardly configured, and the vehicle itself just wasn't as compelling as the Volvo.

Lexus ultimately didn't even make my top 3.

Very nice synopsis. I’ve had both (currently XC60), and the commute and power points above definitely swayed me. Also, I have always been underwhelmed with the 450H in terms of hybrid use, after all these years they should be able to stay on battery for faster than 25mph (that feature has never made sense to me- if you have adequate battery, why limit the speed?)

It is interesting that an equally equipped XC60 is cheaper, I would think the other way around. I assume the ride and handling would be floaty compared to the XC60. I had a 2012 Highlander that was comfortable but really boring to drive around.

Lol, the Lexus still has an analog clock. Yeah that’s not gonna age well.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Lol yeah, Chrysler still uses the analog clock too. Some interior designers just won't let things go. They use words like "iconic" and "heritage" in their pitch decks and keep getting this stuff into production.

I also took a brief look at the RX before I bought the XC60. I agree with the previous sentiments... the car didn't feel like it was worth the price. I don't know if it's the layout, materials, or sight lines, but the car just felt... wrong. Plus they use that ugly black plastic trim around the wheel arches. Saves them a few bucks of metal and paint I guess. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by bilmay View Post
      It is interesting that an equally equipped XC60 is cheaper, I would think the other way around. I assume the ride and handling would be floaty compared to the XC60. I had a 2012 Highlander that was comfortable but really boring to drive around.
      The ride quality inn the Lexus is"floaty" but it takes road imperfections well. The ride in the XC60 is stiff and unrefined though. Honestly, in tremens of ride quality, my XC60 is probably the worst vehicle I've owned.

Handling is another issue. The XC60 is not sporty (sorry, but the type r is not sporty) but it handles pretty well for an suv. Like a very good family sedan albeit top heavy. Very easy to drive.

The Lexus feels like a Buick. Body roll is extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by vtec1994 View Post
      Consider other options, models that have 2.0 engines and are much more efficient, have better gearboxes than CVTs and are:
      -Mercedes GLC 350e plug-in hybrid 315HP,
      -BMW X3 plug-in hybrid 288HP and
      -Q5 Plug-in hybrid 349HP
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

If you're not urgently shopping for a car, the 2021 model year Infiniti QX55 and QX60 should have a plug in hybrid variant as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I'm pretty sure the RX350 is premium recommended not required.
      Yes, I believe that is right. But he said that the 450 is premium required, which is what offsets the increased mileage at least to a certain extent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      Lol yeah, Chrysler still uses the analog clock too. Some interior designers just won't let things go. They use words like "iconic" and "heritage" in their pitch decks and keep getting this stuff into production.

I also took a brief look at the RX before I bought the XC60. I agree with the previous sentiments... the car didn't feel like it was worth the price. I don't know if it's the layout, materials, or sight lines, but the car just felt... wrong. Plus they use that ugly black plastic trim around the wheel arches. Saves them a few bucks of metal and paint I guess. Bleh.
      The analog clocks are not going to age well. Good for old people I guess if those buzz words trigger sales.

I was fortunate enough not to have to cross shop at all. I always knew my next car would be an XC60/90.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by NativeTxn View Post
      Yes, I believe that is right. But he said that the 450 is premium required, which is what offsets the increased mileage at least to a certain extent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thanks for clarifying! Sometimes I read posts too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      LOL Mercedes-Benz S650 Maybach has an IWC Schaffhausen analog clock (search the net for what it is) and some other AMG models

Rolls Royce, Bentley ((Breitling ), Porsche, Maserati, Jaguar and ...................................... with analog clock

LOL
      The Bentley Bentayga's Optional Dash Clock Costs $160,000

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-costs-160000/
      Last edited by BigBang; 03-24-2020 at 11:24 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by zoomx2 View Post
      It's interesting to see how many people cross show the two models even though they don't directly compete with each other...
      At the end of the day, we're both really happy with our decision. For you, it really depends on what you want more. Both are really great cars and you can't go wrong!
      Very good synopsis.

I owned one of the first RX400h that came to SoCal back in the day, replaced it 6-7 years later with a RX450h that I had until I replaced it with my former Model S. I owned 5 different Lexus over the years, zero service or quality problems, and highly dependable. I personally loved CVT (to each their own), and agree given the weight of the RXh that it wasn't the best performer compared to say my Tesla or XC60 T8. Over the life of my RX450h it ended-up at 24.31MPG. My Lexus' had the refinement I had come to expect from Japanese vehicles. After owning a BMW and MBZ as a second car to my RXh, I thought I'd be buried in a Lexus, but their styling changes (especially exterior) drove me away -- it may be what the younger set wants, but I couldn't bring myself to feel like I was driving a Japanese Anime vehicle. I went all-green with my Tesla Model S -- loved so much of that car -- especially being all-electric, but in the end, the abysmal service, an almost refusal by Elon/Tesla to acknowledge and resolve long-standing software bugs that bit me more than once a week, and the "too minimalistic" interior drove me to look for something different this past Fall.

If I could have gotten past the styling, I'd have gone back to an RX450h just because of the reliability and service track record I enjoyed for 20+ years. My choice ordering my T8 though, has been great for me thus far... the plug-in hybrid ends up being a good compromise working well with my mostly around-town errands averaging over 69MPG thus far; the interior styling and quality can't be beat; the exterior styling is great although I still believe Lexus has some of the best actual paint jobs of all brands, and when I want a bit of fun T8 performance is super compared to my former Lexi (not my Model S of course.) While I've had some hybrid problems in my first 90-days, Volvo Service has taken good care of me. As long as the problems now subside, I'm optimistic my XC60 T8 choice will prove to have been a good one. I certainly have no problem suggesting friends and family look at a Volvo -- a brand that was not even on my radar until this past Fall, and now proudly and happily sits in my garage, charging away.
      Last edited by BertL; 03-24-2020 at 11:40 AM.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      I thought I'd be buried in a Lexus, but their styling changes (especially exterior) drove me away -- it may be what the younger set wants, but I couldn't bring myself to feel like I was driving a Japanese Anime vehicle.
      Yep. When we were thinking of a new car, before we had decided on a PHEV, I looked into the Lexus. Made my eyes bleed so I didn't look again. With so much going for them I'm just surprised they went with such a polarizing design.
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription Ice White/blonde
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blonde (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Yep. When we were thinking of a new car, before we had decided on a PHEV, I looked into the Lexus. Made my eyes bleed so I didn't look again. With so much going for them I'm just surprised they went with such a polarizing design.
      Unfortunately I think it's going to get worse for Lexus. Their UX concept in 2016; LF-30 concept in 2017; and LF-1 in 2018 are setting the tone that they want to do even more extreme crazy angles, trapezoids, and weird swoops going everywhere. It's definitely distinctive, but it is an odd direction to take for a historically conservative brand.

Just be glad Volvo has Thomas Ingenlath.

My wife had a 2010 RX 450h up until 2018. It was a fantastic car, plenty of power, very smooth drive, excellent service department. Milage ok at 27-29 mpg, used premium. When it got to 110,000 miles, I started looking around for other cars. The newer RXs, and the Lexus lineup in general, just didn't feel the same, and did not look appealing. So, I did some research and we decided on a 2018 XC60 T8. I loved it, but it took a while for my wife to warm up to it. She did appreciate the safety and technology features, though. After we got a new set of tires, her outlook changed, vibration issues stopped - she now loves it.

I know this doesn't help with your decision that much for looking into a new 450h or XC60, but Lexus has always had great service and reliability. I am presently driving a 2015 NX 300h, and enjoy it, get 28 mpg in winter, 32-33 mpg in warmer weather with regular gas! But, I'm now over 100,000, and my mind is on Volvo these days. I haven't decided what model I'll get, but I still have some time. Anyway, I would highly recommend the XC60 - it has a better use of cargo space, drives great. But it is a much heavier vehicle.

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements