Observations - Cross Country Drive (no pun intended)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 9 of 9
    1. #1
      Junior Member 97redz3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      St. Louis MO
      Posts
      57

      Observations - Cross Country Drive (no pun intended)

      My wife and I just completed a 2400 mile round trip drive in my 2020 V60 Cross Country. The vehicle now has 9700 miles on it, and I thought I would share my observations.

      Overall: I'm completely satisfied with this vehicle. Exterior and interior styling are excellent and should look contemporary for years. I still smile every time I approach my car, and I've had several strangers approach me at gas stations, parking lots, and fishing venues asking me what it is, how I like it, etc.

      Build quality: So far, excellent. No problems to report of any kind, nor any squeaks or rattles. No wind noise.

      Interior comfort/ergonomics: I've always known Volvo seats were excellent. Now that I've owned my car for a while, I get it. Yes, the seats are immediately comfortable, but they also STAY that way on long drives. The driver's seating position is excellent, and I've not changed my seat settings since the first week of ownership. The massaging seats are one of the nicest new car features I've experienced for a long drive. Interior ergonomics are excellent for the instrument panel and the switch gear, and very good for Sensus controls once you memorize where things are. I'll take the trade-off of software pages/layers vs. a raft of buttons any day. The cabin was very quiet, with the exception of tire noise on older roads.

      Cargo capacity: with the rear seat down, my CC swallowed two full size golf bags, two full size suitcases, an airline sized roller bag, two folding chairs, a large athletic bag, three or four of my wife's tote bags (why can't we use another suitcase?), a travel fishing rod and tackle backpack, a small Yeti, and a couple of similar sized boxes of gear ... all without blocking the view from my inside rear mirror. I'm guessing all of this took up about 80% of the total cargo capacity. I was really surprised how much it could carry and how easily it all fit. Based on this trip, I will not be purchasing a roof box down the road.

      Performance/Handling: Loaded with all of the above, the car didn't miss a beat. Acceleration was brisk and never felt strained. Handling was virtually identical to an empty vehicle, although braking distance increased slightly. I didn't feel overloaded, the tail wasn't dragging, lane changes were effortless and predictable, and passing performance was more than adequate at all speeds. Very solid overall performance up to 80 mph.

      Pilot Assist: incredibly useful on long trips. It's not perfect, but it decreases driver workload significantly and adds an overall layer of safety (and feeling of safety) that I found extremely valuable. It's ALWAYS watching the road and traffic. If it only could do something about tailgating ...

      Fuel Economy: Best stretch: 31 mpg. Worst Stretch: 25 mpg. Average over 2400 miles: 29 mpg. Average speed was 75 mph. Auto engine start/stop was engaged at all times.

      Niggles: CarPlay connectivity failed a couple of times and required a vehicle restart ... not optimal when you are on the highway. I could have used an additional cup holder in the door. The sun visors don't swing completely flush with the passenger door when you swing them over to block side-sun. Stronger AC would have been helpful for quicker initial interior cool down (it did cool down and maintain temp in 90 degree heat).

      Kudos to Volvo for turning out such a stylish and useful car!
      Last edited by 97redz3; 03-22-2020 at 04:59 PM.
      2020 V60 Cross Country | Advanced, Luxury, CC Pro packages

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member Avboden's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      2,177
      They really are perfect road-trip cars!

      Totally agreed on the sun-visor, by far my least favorite part of the car, they're pretty terrible.

      The carplay thing is a bit odd, just unplugging and replugging in the phone didn't fix it? I've never experienced anything of the sort.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

    4. #3
      Junior Member 97redz3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      St. Louis MO
      Posts
      57
      We tried unplugging/replugging the phone but it kept giving me a connection error. It was fine after vehicle restart, but it's now happened a few times. My car's due for first service, so I'll ask the dealership to flash the software and see if it helps.
      2020 V60 Cross Country | Advanced, Luxury, CC Pro packages

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member Avboden's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      2,177
      Have you tried a new USB cable? That's probably step 1
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

    7. #5
      Member Gary-16-Xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Twin Cities, MN
      Posts
      2,833
      Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Have you tried a new USB cable? That's probably step 1
      A re-boot of the iPhone has helped me in the past. Not always convenient or safe to that if driving alone.

      I haven’t had any occurrences in 6 + months that I recall. I had a software update in November 2019 FWIW.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

    8. #6
      Member Chicago_Wagon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      3,920
      A couple days ago, I had a 2020 V60 Cross Country T5 as a loaner for about 3 days from the local dealership. It was only used for city driving with the longest drive being maybe only 8 miles. My thoughts are probably not worth their own thread (or anyone’s mental space) but perhaps this is a good spot as any to share them. (Not much going on with the “stay at home” restrictions, LOL.)

      Seats are equally comfortable to the P80 Volvo’s I’ve owned but not more so.

      Touchscreen was fine. Not sure why some people have an issue with the controls. It didn’t take long to learn, even with the only instructions from the Service Writer being, “here’s how you start it”.

      Denim Blue is less exciting then I would have thought. Styling is great, though. Sort of boxy enough to qualify as a wagon, but still modern. I definitely can see the usefulness of the size for trips, or hauling rolls of TP from Costco.

      The short amount of time I was on the expressway, I did find the lane correction annoying. There is construction on my way to work and the lanes are extremely narrow in places. This led to the vehicle trying to “guide” me into lanes that didn’t really exist. Well, not exactly, but to pull in ways that I wouldn’t naturally drive. I was like, “No, I know better than you computer. I can see with my eyes and process with my brain. Thanks anyways.”

      Performance-wise, I was less than impressed. Perhaps that was due to T5, instead of T6. Or, maybe I just wasn’t pushing it hard enough because it wasn’t my vehicle. On the entrance ramp, it felt underpowered. Braking was fine. Agility and “stance” felt very planted. No “floating” feeling regardless of speed, although I too didn’t exceed 80/85 mph.

      Hope this helps someone considering the make/model.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

    9. #7
      Junior Member GordonCs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Naples, Florida
      Posts
      44
      I've had the same issue using CarPlay and noticed that the USB has a lot of wiggle to it. A few times when I wiggled the cable connected to the USB, the connection would start working. I had the USB replaced under warranty and the dealer mentioned that the wiggle is still there. I jammed a piece of hard paper into the space between the USB and the plastic casing to mitigate the wiggle. That seemed to work just fine. The only other issue I notice is if the phone is plugged into the USB when I stop the car and if the phone is still plugged in when I restart the car, I sometimes get a blank screen in CarPlay mode, or my Pandora station no longer plays. Unplugging the phone and replugging the phone always solves the problem.

      It can be very annoying, but everything works fine 97% of the time. Tech...when it works it's like magic. When it doesn't it can be so infuriating.

      Quote Originally Posted by 97redz3 View Post
      We tried unplugging/replugging the phone but it kept giving me a connection error. It was fine after vehicle restart, but it's now happened a few times. My car's due for first service, so I'll ask the dealership to flash the software and see if it helps.
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

    10. #8
      Junior Member GordonCs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Naples, Florida
      Posts
      44
      I forgot to mention that I also really enjoy driving this car. Seats are fabulous, safety tech is great - even though we now have a recall for all Volvo cars. Haven't really noticed the sun visor issue that others have noted in this post. I do wish that Volvo not upgrade the tires to 19" automatically when you order the PRO package. The loss of 1+ inches on the sidewall always give me pause when I am on gravely roads with medium size rocks. The 18" would be better and probably a smoother ride. Volvo should have made the 19" an option and not an automatic add-on when choosing a package. Other than that, I am very happy with the car.
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

    11. #9
      Member chillg8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Durham, NC
      Posts
      1,273
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      A couple days ago, I had a 2020 V60 Cross Country T5 as a loaner for about 3 days from the local dealership. It was only used for city driving with the longest drive being maybe only 8 miles. My thoughts are probably not worth their own thread (or anyone’s mental space) but perhaps this is a good spot as any to share them. (Not much going on with the “stay at home” restrictions, LOL.)

      Seats are equally comfortable to the P80 Volvo’s I’ve owned but not more so.

      Touchscreen was fine. Not sure why some people have an issue with the controls. It didn’t take long to learn, even with the only instructions from the Service Writer being, “here’s how you start it”.

      Denim Blue is less exciting then I would have thought. Styling is great, though. Sort of boxy enough to qualify as a wagon, but still modern. I definitely can see the usefulness of the size for trips, or hauling rolls of TP from Costco.

      The short amount of time I was on the expressway, I did find the lane correction annoying. There is construction on my way to work and the lanes are extremely narrow in places. This led to the vehicle trying to “guide” me into lanes that didn’t really exist. Well, not exactly, but to pull in ways that I wouldn’t naturally drive. I was like, “No, I know better than you computer. I can see with my eyes and process with my brain. Thanks anyways.”

      Performance-wise, I was less than impressed. Perhaps that was due to T5, instead of T6. Or, maybe I just wasn’t pushing it hard enough because it wasn’t my vehicle. On the entrance ramp, it felt underpowered. Braking was fine. Agility and “stance” felt very planted. No “floating” feeling regardless of speed, although I too didn’t exceed 80/85 mph.

      Hope this helps someone considering the make/model.
      If you owned the car you could set up the car so that lane correction is off by default. Also, my individual mode is set for dynamic drive with stiffer steering wheel and that makes the T5 more than responsive enough. Of course the T6 will give you more “headroom”..... on balance I like my S60 a lot more than my BMW 4 series that I traded in.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

    12. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Cross country with Cross Country
      By kviksilver in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 01-16-2019, 11:13 PM
    2. Cool dent removal trick "pun intended"
      By SirSamSR in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
    3. Ticking Driving Me Crazy (no pun intended)..
      By crh in forum S70, V70 & V70XC (1998-2000)
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM
    4. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
    5. Deal Braker (pun intended)
      By Greggor in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 05-03-2005, 11:31 AM