Alternator Pulley Clutch Freewheel Seizing?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2008 XC70 3.2l Canada

I just had a weird experience.

My car wouldn't start and wouldn't release the key out of the slot....

It seemed to me like it was acting like the battery was low. I didn't have my tester handy but strangely enough I do have another battery sitting close by so I jumpered it to the car and tried to start again.... lights were brighter etc and I eventually did get the key out, back in, and the car started.

It was running TERRIBLE though - surging idle, really rocky when revved...

I went and got my multimeter and laptop. I found the voltage rising and falling with the surging idle so now I'm suspecting the alternator.

I check in the laptop and there are codes galore so I start looking at some that have to do with idle/performance problems and see some of them list this article in VIDA called something like "checking the freewheel on a generator" but for some reason my VIDA install won't link to it like it's not installed or something..... so I can't read it (If anyone can post that article from VIDA that would be hella awesome)

The car has been sitting a lot lately (COVID-19 closures keeping everyone home) and it's been pretty cold at night - I start thinking this angle of the alternator pulley freewheel might be a good one so I rev the hell out of it haha to try to loosen things up and lo and behold the idle evens out and it now seems like it's running fine! Except maybe the battery is toast?

so it looks like a seizing alternator pulley - thoughts on this diagnosis?

Reasons to replace the pulley and NOT the whole alternator (besides cost which I've already thought of haha)?

Other maintenance that should go along with it?

Other thoughts?

Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Might not be it, but clutch and gear is #1 failure point.

If pulling it apart, get both.
      Questions about rear differentials repairs? Email me here - [email protected]
      Owner of the only P3 V70 T6 in North America

By 'clutch' I think you mean this part 31316804

and by 'gear' I think you mean this part 30750136

I suppose the rubber 'coupler' is also required to change?

In the diagram on this page it also shows a 30759060 and refers to it as a 'crankshaft gear' - sounds like this is not required?

Also given my car has 340k kms/210k miles it probably needs the whole other side of the READ done yes?
      as per this thread
      - Tensioner #31401286
      - Idler pulley #31401193
      - Drive/auxiliary belt #31251046
      - Plastic pin in behind p/s pump pulley #30750804
      - Water pump coupling (optional) #31219096
      - Water pump (optional) #31219000
      - AC Compressor clutch (optional) #31267973
      - Aux belt decoupler (Volvo does not call this out to be replaced at a specific mileage) #31316803

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Out of curiosity, how many miles (or KM) on the car?
      2009 XC 70 T6. Electric Silver / Anthracite. Premium and Climate.

I put it in my last comment but it's 340k kms/210k miles

Did the car have the 150,000 mile service? This should have been done at that point.

My D5 XC70 had a seized clutch on the alternator pulley, it would break drive belts regularly.
      2001 V70 - 2000 miles from the nearest dealer and 3000 miles from home, used as my DD for work and storage when I go home for a couple of weeks.
      2009 XC70 D5 - bought because it was ridiculously cheap, cheapest on the planet, after the first drive the wife claimed it before we got home.

Quote Originally Posted by V70 Brad View Post
      Did the car have the 150,000 mile service? This should have been done at that point.
      I did not own the car at that time and do not have service records from the previous owner so I don't /know/ for sure. When it warms up a bit I will take the intake hose off and see if I can get a better idea of the condition of the belt and maybe that will tell me.

Question: I knew the belt/idler/tensioner was part of the 150k mile service but is the alternator coupler or clutch also part of the service? How about the clutch on the serpentine belt side?

Quote Originally Posted by jadnhm View Post
      I did not own the car at that time and do not have service records from the previous owner so I don't /know/ for sure. When it warms up a bit I will take the intake hose off and see if I can get a better idea of the condition of the belt and maybe that will tell me.

Question: I knew the belt/idler/tensioner was part of the 150k mile service but is the alternator coupler or clutch also part of the service? How about the clutch on the serpentine belt side?
      I know for sure that the alternator coupler is part of the service. PRETTY sure the clutch on the serpentine belt side is too. At least two different clutches were billed out when I had a 150k done about 2 months ago.

the two pieces that you listed earlier in the thread (alternator gear and other bit) are not part of the service. Heck Iím not sure that the decoupler pulley is part of the service either - I donít think so. Funny thing is that all literature suggests that the decoupler pulley IS a maintenance item though. For what itís worth (I think I mentioned this in my thread that is referenced earlier) if you are going to do the 150k service you should seriously consider replacing the AC clutch. Dealer at the time said they had seen a few come in, in and around that mileage with clutch issues. I also have a YouTube showing how to replace the decoupler pulley seal which is basically the same job. Link is below.

https://youtu.be/9p8tRqaEWls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

The owners manual say to "inspect" the decoupler pulleys. When I did my 150k service, the decoupler pulley on the belt side was locked in both directions. It should be move freely in on direction and lock in the other. I did not notice any problems though prior to actually checking it. I'd replace it to avoid pulling everything apart again in the event that it becomes a problem.
      2004 S60 2.5t (2014-2015)
      2006 S40 2.4i (2015-2016)
      2009 S80 3.2
      1966 122S

Just had mine diagnosed and repaired. $1K+

Quote Originally Posted by zemaitis View Post
      Just had mine diagnosed and repaired. $1K+
      Ouch

This is great info folks but not good news for my wallet haha

I had a quick look and the following list of parts adds up to about $2000 CAD (just for the parts)
      - alternator clutch
      - alternator coupling (rubber)
      - alternator READ pulley
      - serpentine belt
      - serpentine idler
      - serpentine tensioner
      - serpentine clutch READ pulley
      - water pump
      - water pump coupler
      - thermostat

holy cow is that that full list?

Holy crap. I donít remember spending THAT much! Normally I would tell you to go to FCP euro to see if it might be worthwhile to get some decent aftermarket stuff from them and paying for shipping with with CAD dollar where itís at it may not make sense at this time.

that's kind of an aside but yeah given the CAD -> USD exchange, sales tax, and the ridiculous Canadian customs process, it actually doesn't make much sense to order stuff from the US anymore.... if I could physically visit (for leisure) and bring stuff back with me that can work out pretty well, but mail-order from the US was effectively killed a few years ago by Canadian customs.

Some of the stuff above is available in the aftermarket and that can help with cost but is it worth it to use aftermarket stuff for any of this?

Also, does my list look correct?

that's kind of an aside but yeah given the CAD -> USD exchange, sales tax, and the ridiculous Canadian customs process, it actually doesn't make much sense to order stuff from the US anymore.... if I could physically visit (for leisure) and bring stuff back with me that can work out pretty well, but mail-order from the US was effectively killed a few years ago by Canadian customs.

Some of the stuff above is available in the aftermarket and that can help with cost but is it worth it to use aftermarket stuff for any of this?

Also, does my list look correct?
      I would not hesitate to get some of this stuff aftermarker but only certain brands.

The decoupler pulley is by INA or gates, canít remember which. Half the price of you can find it. Steve Hudson quoted the specs for it on here somewhere

Belt: buy contitech
      Tensioner: Gates or INA
      Pulley: same as above
      Alternator gears...not sure

Check out germanparts.ca. I have now ordered a few things from them. They carry great aftermarket stuff and prices are reasonable. Just got something from them today so they are still shipping. I had a look and they do carry at least some of the stuff you need. You should be able to get all this stuff for under $800.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      Last edited by bigtimemcalpine; 04-02-2020 at 07:17 PM.

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements