Stupid mistake, PSA and rant
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Stupid mistake, PSA and rant

So it has been raining in my area, and the highway code calls for DRl and rear lights to be turned on while driving. It was drizzling and light enough the light sensor did not turn in the rear lights, so I manually turned in the lights instead of the auto setting.
      I parked in my garage, locked and walked away. Two days later, the car is DEAD... I can't even unlock it with my key fob...had to use the physical key to get access.
      Good thing I have a battery charger handy.
      So, with all the software intelligence in this car, why did it not turn the headlights off when it detected the batteries are low, or even send a warning to the phone app?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That is strange! I guess they just expect you to use auto all the time. The app will tell you if you left the car unlocked but apparently not if you left the lights on!

I've taken to just turning the fog lights on in rain which forces the headlights on.

This is a miss, I agree if it won’t turn off automatically like some cars an app alert same with doors open should be present.

Same with open windows, open moonroof, low tire pressure, low battery voltage. All items monitor and could easily be reported on.

VW also lets you you know that windows are open and there is a chance of rain in your location and windows should be closed.

Since we are all on this subject. Why not use the rain sensor to just do that automatically?

Some things I guess will never have. But hey let’s try and get self driving cars on the road like that will ever happened LOL.
      2020 V60 CC

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Update: within an hour of charging to 12V (I have a 10amp battery maintenance charger), I got a notice on my Volvo app the doors are unlocked. @Captain [email protected]
      Checked the car status, and everything is good. WTF. Battery is still low

Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Update: within an hour of charging to 12V (I have a 10amp battery maintenance charger), I got a notice on my Volvo app the doors are unlocked. @Captain [email protected]
      Checked the car status, and everything is good. WTF. Battery is still low

Battery voltage is not reported on the app.
      2020 V60 CC

That's my point. Why isn't it?

Ragnarok

If I'm not mistaken when the switch is in Auto mode it defaults to turning on parking lights. This means your DRL and rear tail lights would be on.

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      So it has been raining in my area, and the highway code calls for DRl and rear lights to be turned on while driving. It was drizzling and light enough the light sensor did not turn in the rear lights, so I manually turned in the lights instead of the auto setting.
      As I recall all Volvos have their taillights on at all times. I know my '08 XC90 and '16 S60 do this. I'm 90% my '19 XC90 taillights are on during the daytime too when in auto.

The manual is not clear on the rear lights

Ragnarok

I'm pretty sure any time the headlights are on, the taillights are on. It's been like that for decades. I don't see why they would change it now. If you set it to parking lights, those stay on when the car is off and will kill the battery.

I can confirm, the DRL's are always active unless your switch is turned to "O" and DRL's include both front and back signature lighting.

Damn ... I didn't know my car had a rear fog light. Just went out and checked. Cool!
      2020 V60 Cross Country | Advanced, Luxury, CC Pro packages

I am not sure how it is in the US but here in Europe I am pretty sure that when we put the lights on ON (so not auto) and you shut off the car the lights go off immediately.
      So I am not sure about the battery being dead is caused by the light.

Quote Originally Posted by risrael View Post
      I am not sure how it is in the US but here in Europe I am pretty sure that when we put the lights on ON (so not auto) and you shut off the car the lights go off immediately.
      So I am not sure about the battery being dead is caused by the light.
      It's the same in the US. I'm thinking maybe the OP accidentally put the car in the parking light function and that's how the battery died as those stay on as long as the switch is in that position.

Personally, I think the parking lights should have some sort of timer as I have also mistakenly left my cars parking lights on. In my Acura they went off automatically and that car was much older.

Quote Originally Posted by MJEWETT View Post
      I can confirm, the DRL's are always active unless your switch is turned to "O" and DRL's include both front and back signature lighting.
      The lack of automatic headlamps (including tails) turning on when the wipers are in use was a pet peeve on my Volvo when all of my recent cars had the feature. Until I read several posts in this thread similar to the above, I did not realize that the tail lamps are ALWAYS ON with the DRL (yea yea - it was probably in the manual, I probably missed it ). I just verified - they do come on.

To address the battery running down issue with the original post (@visualv) - you can just leave the lights on AUTO and turn on the fog lights (if so equipped). Headlamps activate too when fog lights are activated. I will continue to do this if I feel additional light is warranted for safety (ex: two lane rural roads) in wet weather.

Thank you to all who mentioned these features!!

Stay Safe!

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements