Adventure mobile (another build?), aka, welcome to Spikes Sh*t Show :)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Adventure mobile (another build?), aka, welcome to Spikes Sh*t Show :)

After 2 well loved white P2 S60's and a voluntary move back to the PNW to have more access to the mountains again, I decided it was time for an adventure mobile. My other obsession is ultra running and exploring.

Low mile, CPO P3 XC70's and XC60's seemed to sound ideal, and thanks to the crazy world of Corona virus in March 2020, my self defined budget dropped down to a smaller, cash purchase to avoid a loan in these uncertain times.

So after a week of feverishly searching private party, corner lots, and dealers, and driving everything from. $2k dumps to $18k Shiney dumps, Volvo's, Subaru's, even checked out an Xterra, we stumbled upon what appeared to be the best of the options.

I present to you, my new daily and hopefully not too much a project.
      2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic with black leather interior and silver trim.

Packages include:
      Multimedia Package
      Climate package & xenon ABL headlights
      Convenience package
      & Personal car communicator

Private party sale, the car was bought and serviced from new to 103k miles at the local dealership in Tacoma, under the state license plates there were still the original dealer paper plates..... I have both keys, the window sticker, and I believe all of the dealer receipts. (They were presented post sale, more on that to follow) A little wear and tear as expected for a 9 year old car, but doesn't look abused by any means.

So.
      Here are the first few photos I have, nothing wonderful, but it's been a busy week and we're still trying to settle into our house post cross country move and start our new jobs.

Last edited by spiked60; 03-25-2020 at 06:54 PM.
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Day 1.
      Investigated the non working 12v outlets, disassembled the center console to clean up the gross outlet before replacing the fuse. I'll leave the bad pics off, but we'll say I've never wanted to glove up to clean a car before. Let's call it a Starbucks Frappuccino incident.

Besides the spilled drink, the interior is not abused or neglected, no major damage discovered yet, it just needed a good scrub to feel ok, and a little sanitization wasn't a bad idea either.

Once it got clean, a quick application of leather treatment to keep things good.

Last edited by spiked60; 03-25-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Why the overly graphic name for the thread?

Well, while cleaning the car I found the dealership receipts. I threw them in a spreadsheet so I can start managing what's done, what's due, and what to look for.

More or less, I have receipts for the major maintenance points, but nothing terribly overwhelming like how I manage my cars. The points of notice, would be things such as:
      - AC Compressor & power steering reservoir replaced at 5k miles
      - Pistons & rings replaced at 58k miles due to excessive oil consumption.
      - Breather box has been replaced 2x, at 47k & 58k
      - Oh, and engine oil cooler leaked into the coolant system, so new cooler & coolant at 97k miles

So, any number of the used cars I drove could have had this in its history, but I'm still not sure how I feel about this information. I guess, since the engine was rebuilt, in theory, I should be good for a bit longer? Guess this would have all shown on a carfax, lesson learned here.

I need to dig into the car more and start doing a deep evaluation, I'm still unsure how to feel...

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Monday.
      Owned the car for the weekend.

Need to go to work for 1 morning to on-board my new job in Seattle and get my personal laptop set up so I can work remotely.

It finally rained in the PNW, so on the way to work I can't clear the water on the window.
      Wait.
      What?
      That water is on the inside.

10 seconds on google and I discover/am reminded that '11 XC60's are part of the family that has windshields that separate from the body (maybe technically, the windshield separates from the black perimeter), anyways.
      Call 4 dealers, 2 glass shops, they replace the window. No R&R performed.
      Call insurance, they say we can investigate it but it's most likely a preexisting condition they will deny.
      Ugh.

Visit the local glass shop, it's so obvious the windshield moves, no charge for a test. They quoted me $1200 due to the camera's and trim pieces, so I'm having the dealer do it w/ OEM glass for $1100 on Friday. I will try to reach out to Volvo Cars, but I already expect that to be a wasted effort.

Friggin stupid, and each discovery I happen upon feels like a punch in the gut.

Also due for an oil change, so will get that knocked out at the dealer. Yes, this time I want a dealer to do it (NOT the one that did all this work to the car), I'm hoping to get an honest opinion on any other issues that may be lurking under this car.

The good pricing feeling is starting to fade..... Hoping to work out these bugs and be done so I can enjoy the car

Last edited by spiked60; 03-25-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Nice XC! Like that color ...

We joined the XC60 ranks a couple months ago too. I looked for several months before I found the right one for our budget. Started out looking at 12-13's but then decided to go for the facelift version and spend a little more. I remember seeing a Terra RD out west when I was shopping, very rare. Sorry about your windshield. Just had that happen on my '10 S80, took it to the dealer (that I rarely visit) and they agreed to take care of getting is resealed, but (fortunately, lol) they cracked it so we were able to claim it on our insurance and got an oem windshield to boot after I pressed them.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package, E46 bixenon retro - garage queen
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by spiked60 View Post
      It finally rained in the PNW, so on the way to work I can't clear the water on the window.
      I take it that you're new to the PNW. Natives would have inserted a "didn't".
      Last edited by Azlkk; 03-24-2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Edit
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. Koni Special Active struts/shocks, IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

Sorry about the windshield, I'd be more than a little peeved with the seller that it wasn't disclosed - that sucks. Is there any water staining now after the fact that you can see?

The service history is actually a good thing - the engine rebuild is an early SI 6 thing and was covered under a TJ so I wouldn't be concerned in the least, it was a pretty common problem. The other things don't seem like a big deal to me.

I really like the color combination, nice contrasting stitching on the seats!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Well any used car that old will prob. have surprises, so don't get too down on it. Keep an eye on coolant jug for oil to make sure system was cleaned out well. I wouldn't go as far as Volvo recs on oil changes either, don't forget they only care if it lasts as long as warr. period. Use a good syn. oil , and change every 5 or 6 k. I always buy penzoil on sale and use an OEM filter, makes for cheap changes. I would also change trans/angle gear/rear diff/aoc fluids(pull aoc black cover this time), and use good aftermarket syn fluids for diff and angle. Can do this way cheaper if can do yourself.
      Our 13 has been a great car and has 110k on it now.
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Azlkk View Post
      I take it that you're new to the PNW. Natives would have inserted a "didn't".
      Lol

Actually lived here in the past and finally had the opportunity to come back.
      Been in the works for 6+ months and ended up being a heck of a time to move to Seattle

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

No glass shop or the dealer offered to remove and reseal the w/s for $300-ish with the full price only if it broke? They get removed all the time for certain repairs and re-installed.
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
      No glass shop or the dealer offered to remove and reseal the w/s for $300-ish with the full price only if it broke? They get removed all the time for certain repairs and re-installed.
      Nope, and I asked, they all declined to even attempt.

Maybe because this is a large region and they wanna avoid any issues? I dunno. I'll make more calls tomorrow to see if I can get any change

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Sorry about the windshield, I'd be more than a little peeved with the seller that it wasn't disclosed - that sucks. Is there any water staining now after the fact that you can see?

The service history is actually a good thing - the engine rebuild is an early SI 6 thing and was covered under a TJ so I wouldn't be concerned in the least, it was a pretty common problem. The other things don't seem like a big deal to me.

I really like the color combination, nice contrasting stitching on the seats!
      No water staining that I can see, so this very well may have been a new issue.

I do like the colors, always a fan of white/tan though

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Well any used car that old will prob. have surprises, so don't get too down on it. Keep an eye on coolant jug for oil to make sure system was cleaned out well. I wouldn't go as far as Volvo recs on oil changes either, don't forget they only care if it lasts as long as warr. period. Use a good syn. oil , and change every 5 or 6 k. I always buy penzoil on sale and use an OEM filter, makes for cheap changes. I would also change trans/angle gear/rear diff/aoc fluids(pull aoc black cover this time), and use good aftermarket syn fluids for diff and angle. Can do this way cheaper if can do yourself.
      Our 13 has been a great car and has 110k on it now.
      At the moment I'm planning on having this dealer do a change, I need to order a wrench and supplies and plan, also having a dealer give me a report will help me until I can get into it (still unpacking the house from the move, and trying to train remotely for the new job)

Driveline fluids as well are on the list to get done, definitely. Again, need to plan and order. I have some fluids from my old 09 S60, maybe some of those will work here.

I've already been checking coolant and oil just to make sure nothing funky is going on there.

I fully hope for another 100k & 5 years on this before I upgrade to a facelift or something newer!

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Progress!

After numerous calls and inquiries, found a local glass company/guy (with all great reviews) who was willing to pull and reseal the window and warranty his work for life.
      Still have my OEM glass, and not having to move the camera or sensor to new glass also means it hopefully is non problematic nor do I need to recalibrate anything

He lives a few blocks away, took my car to his garage and brought it back in about 2.5 hours.

Cost is about %25 of what a new window installed would cost, so I am a happy man, now I'll get my maintenance items on order to begin with that part.

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

That sounds like a good result!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

Yep, good deal on your windshield! I was expecting some push back from my dealer and was a little put off by them only offering to reseal the old one since I really wanted a new one. When they called and said their glass guy cracked it I was so happy lol. For a $50 deductible I got a brand new one without all the road pits. Now I hope that the 15.5 XC60 glass behaves since I have even more cameras and lasers up there, however I think this really affects the early model P3's and not the later ones.

So what are your wheel plans? I'm looking hard, can't wait to dump those Zephyrus!
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package, E46 bixenon retro - garage queen
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      Yep, good deal on your windshield! I was expecting some push back from my dealer and was a little put off by them only offering to reseal the old one since I really wanted a new one. When they called and said their glass guy cracked it I was so happy lol. For a $50 deductible I got a brand new one without all the road pits. Now I hope that the 15.5 XC60 glass behaves since I have even more cameras and lasers up there, however I think this really affects the early model P3's and not the later ones.

So what are your wheel plans? I'm looking hard, can't wait to dump those Zephyrus!
      Well, everything is on hold until things calm down and things aren't so iffy with the world.

I am a traditionalist with wheels, straight spokes look good to me, the xc60 r design wheels I like, but don't wanna up size.

I have a Subaru buddy with a lifted crosstrek, something like this wheel combo may look good, I'll have to think about it more though. I also am interested in seeing a lifted xc60 with these spacers.

But, it'll be 6 months before I feel like dropping more money, for now just maintaining and getting good.

For now, need to dry out the floorboard, will check tomorrow and see if I need to pull the carpet back ot if the desiccant boxes will work

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Apparently these are black rhino wheels, I definitely like the look.

Unsure if a light color or black would be better with the bronze car, I will have to play with photo shop, plenty of time before that happens.

On a different note, playing around in the owners manual I discovered the car is on old nav, downloaded newest version to a thumb drive, and it's downloading to the car now.

Nifty! (as long as it doesn't error out, it'll take basically 3 hours.....)
      Last edited by spiked60; 03-29-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Well nothing terribly exciting, but found the nav in the car was old, and new software was available to download, so went from V 30.12.04 to V 30.18.03.
      Downloaded a small program from volvo and then downloaded 17+GB to usb over an hour, uploaded to car took almost 3, but, worked. Can't say if anything changed or just the map Database, but I'll take it, just trying to get everything updated.

Went towards Mt Ranier and found a desolate logging road, just needed to get out and see nature again, but I definitely need rubber floor mats!

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Keen to see photos if you do buy and fit those spacers. Thinking I would like 20mm now I have the AT tyres on mine (parked on the driveway for another 3.5 weeks or more in lockdown)!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Does windshield insurance not exist for others around the country? I have a $50 deductable to have my windshield replaced in both of my Volvo's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Quote Originally Posted by emgrock1 View Post
      Does windshield insurance not exist for others around the country? I have a $50 deductable to have my windshield replaced in both of my Volvo's.

Depends on the state and the carrier. I've always had full glass coverage with any policy I've had. I don't know that a leaking windshield would apply though - interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by emgrock1 View Post

We do carry good insurance with a $50 windshield deductible, but, since we moved states a week prior to the purchase (so according to Geico basically rewrote a new policy), then added a new car, then immediately filed a glass claim, it escalated to investigators and auditor's for potential fraud lol.

They said they'd look into it for me, but expected it to be a pre-existing condition and therefore not covered.

Then once I found a reseal for a few hundred instead of a $1200 dealer replacement, I dropped the claim request to avoid wasted time and resources and any potential hit on my insurance

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements