Boost spike when shifting
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Boost spike when shifting

Hi all,

I'm having an issue where I'm seeing big spikes in boost pressure when I shift during hard or even mild acceleration. I dont have a proper boost gauge, I have CFE Plus module which allows me to view the boost reading from the car's sensor on the message center. I see it jump up to like 25psi sometimes when I upshift if I'm really getting on it. I'm not sure how reliable this reading is but I don't know why it would be showing such high pressures unless that its what is really going on.
      I thought maybe this was an issue with the TCV so I replaced that last summer along with all the vacuum lines. Still the same thing. I was also thinking it could be the CBV but according to everything I've read, a failing CBV would cause a lack of boost not an abundance.

Any ideas? Is this something I should be worried about?

To be clear, the car does not overboost while actually accelerating, I only see spikes when I shift.

Cheers.
      2007 S60R M66 - Black/Nordkap - Totally Stock, 160k

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

To me that sounds exactly like your compressor bypass valve is not working.

When your full throttle, the throttle is open and all that air is going into the engine. When you let off throttle to shift, the throttle closes and all that air has to go somewhere, that's why you have a CBV. CBV opens up and the boost is re routed to the intake before turbo, after MAF. If it's not opening then you're going to see a boost spike in your intake plumbing but you should not be seeing a boost spike after the throttle (inside the intake manifold.) Your boost pressure sensor is mounted on the lower charge pipe after the intercooler but before the throttle so it makes sense that if your CBV is not opening and you are seeing a boost spike, that it would show that on your DIM via your CFE+. But usually people route their actual boost gauge to the intake manifold I thought so that makes me wonder where yo have yours ran to.

Hope this helps.

Also, did you make sure your TCV lines are ran correctly? Seems like the consensus is to use oem pierburg TCVs and not any aftermarket ones.
      Last edited by TristanScott; 03-24-2020 at 05:49 PM.
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, UR Front Strut Brace
      TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic

Thanks for the reply Tristan. Yes that all makes sense, which is why I originally suspected the CBV. I will have to look into it further.
      I'm fairly certain that the TCV lines are routed correctly. I did them one at a time and the car doesn't behave any differently from before I changed it (replaced it with a pierburg).

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

There's a diagram under the hood but tbh its hard to understand until you've had your intake pipe to the turbo removed and can see how it all works. The cbv is a B to get to, you're going to have to remove the intake pipe to the turbo to get back there. I just did mine recently (used IPD's block off plate and am running Viva's tial recirc kit) and I found my intake to turbo pipe to be cracked at only 125k miles. Might be worth it to upgrade to a Snabb intake pipe while you're back there.
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, UR Front Strut Brace

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)

I did have some plans for an intake and FMIC at some point. Might be a good time to dive in. As far as the CBV I'm looking at either the iPD heavy duty valve or the Turbosmart CBV offered by Elevate. Big price difference between the two and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go for the Elevate valve. I dont plan on going crazy with the boost ever, maybe a stage 1 tune at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecon07 View Post
      I did have some plans for an intake and FMIC at some point. Might be a good time to dive in. As far as the CBV I'm looking at either the iPD heavy duty valve or the Turbosmart CBV offered by Elevate. Big price difference between the two and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go for the Elevate valve. I dont plan on going crazy with the boost ever, maybe a stage 1 tune at most.
      Right on. I'd just do your research on those valves/setups. I really like my Tial valve along with the whole Snabb setup. It's expensive but the quality is great and definitely worth the price.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm checking out the TIAL setup as well. It is currently on sale through snabb's website. I sent them a message asking how best to incorporate that kit with a full FMIC setup, since their FMIC kit has overlapping parts with the recirc kit. I'm gonna weight that setup against the other CBV and FMIC options.
      I can see my tax return disappearing before my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecon07 View Post
      I'm checking out the TIAL setup as well. It is currently on sale through snabb's website. I sent them a message asking how best to incorporate that kit with a full FMIC setup, since their FMIC kit has overlapping parts with the recirc kit. I'm gonna weight that setup against the other CBV and FMIC options.
      I can see my tax return disappearing before my eyes.
      He might take a while to respond although he's a really good guy. I asked him the same exact question. I bought the Tial kit first and then reached out to him later and got the lower charge pipe and FMIC and those two ended up being an additional 550 shipped I think.

Good thing we got that $1200 coming from the government (if you made under 75k.) That's just about exactly how much you'll need to do all that haha.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements