Has anyone actually had City Safe auto brake
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 40
    1. #1
      Junior Member volvoxc9008's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      NC
      Posts
      500

      Has anyone actually had City Safe auto brake

      I wondering if anyone has actually seen City Safe in action in the real world. I remember when they first released the XC60 with city safe. I thought it was a super cool features. Now years later I have it in my S60 but it's a low speed system. I know Volvo's logic behind implementing it was because most accidents happen at low speeds. However, I don't see any real use for the system as I believe it only operative a speeds below 30mph (correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand, I've witnessed our XC90 auto brake twice both while I was riding passenger both happened going over 30mph. Has anyone her actually seen it activate?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      549
      Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      I wondering if anyone has actually seen City Safe in action in the real world. I remember when they first released the XC60 with city safe. I thought it was a super cool features. Now years later I have it in my S60 but it's a low speed system. I know Volvo's logic behind implementing it was because most accidents happen at low speeds. However, I don't see any real use for the system as I believe it only operative a speeds below 30mph (correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand, I've witnessed our XC90 auto brake twice both while I was riding passenger both happened going over 30mph. Has anyone her actually seen it activate?
      I tested it out with an adventurous friend when I first got the car. He stood in a parking lot. I accelerated to 5 mph, took my foot off the gas, held it over the brake, and waited to see what the car would do. It stopped. But if you don't put your foot on the brake after it stops, City Safe will release the brake and it will start rolling again fairly quickly.

      The only memorable time I've had it activate while driving was when I was going through an ez-pass toll lane with a gate down. City Safe didn't like that I wasn't slowing down enough to avoid the gate (since I knew it was going to go up) and it stopped my car right as the gate decided to go up.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

    4. #3
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,691
      In my 8+ years of owning the car I've had it come on only once. That was 2-3 years ago.
      I was driving in bumper to bumper traffic and the car in front of me stopped suddenly and it kicked in.

      Speaking of EZPass, I hate those gates; and what's up with some locations being 5mph and some 20mph?

      Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member p.rico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,291
      Yes, twice. Both times due to the system categorizing steam (from a vent) as a physical solid form. It is quite jarring when it occurs, because I was on the gas and not expecting a braking deceleration.

      It must be different in your system, meade18, because with the 2012, you have to physically push the Start button to get going again.

      The speed was increased from 19 to 30 in later years, and that I think was primarily due to the technology for sensing getting better.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

    7. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      2,225
      I've had more false activations than real. Once it did prevent a very minor bumper scrape in stop and go traffic. All of the false activations occurred in the morning when it's still dark outside and while rolling up to to a stop sign. Absolutely nothing in the road way. Not sure what it thinks it's detecting. Must have something to do with cold, dark maybe mist on the windshield. Who knows, had the dealer check system with no problems found.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      181
      I've had one legitimate activation and my wife has had two false alarms.

      Mine was driving through our beginners at about
      My wife was driving through her downtown parking garage leaving work and I can only imagine that it twice interpreted the steep angles and tight turns at some point as obstacles and activated City safe.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      154
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      City Safe didn't like that I wasn't slowing down enough to avoid the gate (since I knew it was going to go up) and it stopped my car right as the gate decided to go up.
      This.

      My work has a "secure" parking lot. Every single day I have to drive in and out through a gate. It is just a big poles that runs across the road at about windshield height and levers up out of the way. Just like at a railroad crossing. A few months ago, someone ran into it and broke the pole off the base (happens at least very 6 months). Well when they re-installed it they must have added some reflective stripes or something because suddenly my car loves to slam on the brakes if approaching it too quickly.

      Over the last 9 years I have developed a very good sense of when the gate triggers and how quickly if lifts, so I usually approach it with some speed, and even let the hood of my car go under the pole while i'm slowing down because I know it will lift before my windshield reaches it. City safe suddenly does not like that approach anymore. I have had it activate at least 5 times in the last few months. Still scares me every time.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Location
      Salfordville, PA
      Posts
      63
      I have had one false activation. I was approaching a stop sign and I was slowing down, but it was foggy. It must of thought the fog was a solid object and it activated.

    11. #9
      Junior Member volvoxc9008's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      NC
      Posts
      500
      Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      This.

      My work has a "secure" parking lot. Every single day I have to drive in and out through a gate. It is just a big poles that runs across the road at about windshield height and levers up out of the way. Just like at a railroad crossing. A few months ago, someone ran into it and broke the pole off the base (happens at least very 6 months). Well when they re-installed it they must have added some reflective stripes or something because suddenly my car loves to slam on the brakes if approaching it too quickly.

      Over the last 9 years I have developed a very good sense of when the gate triggers and how quickly if lifts, so I usually approach it with some speed, and even let the hood of my car go under the pole while i'm slowing down because I know it will lift before my windshield reaches it. City safe suddenly does not like that approach anymore. I have had it activate at least 5 times in the last few months. Still scares me every time.
      Does your car have the option collision warning? I drive through similar gates everyday with the reflective pattern and have never had a similar incident happen.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Quincy, MA
      Posts
      230
      In my 2013 XC60 I've had it turn on twice.

      Once when going into my driveway it thought I was going to fast towards my fence and it activated it.

      The other time was on the highway with congestion and going around 40 MPH. People in front of me slammed on their brakes and the car initiated a hard brake before I did by a split second.
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      154
      Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      Does your car have the option collision warning? I drive through similar gates everyday with the reflective pattern and have never had a similar incident happen.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah it has collision warning. Its a 2016 platinum with every possible option package. It gives no audible warning before slamming on brakes though. It has beeped at me a few times when I failed to keep enough distance from a car turning into a side street or driveway in front of me. Same situation as the auto braking, I know the obstacle will be clear by the time I reach it, but the car has no situational awareness and cannot predict what will happen.

      I have had the car a little over a year, and for the first 9-10 months it NEVER activated auto braking. This last time when they repaired the gate they must have changed it's appearance or height just enough for the car's sensors to see it differently.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Lodi NJ
      Posts
      474
      Activated multiple times when cars in front stopped to quickly . If you have Technology package than Auto brake will work above 30mph if you have basic options than it will only work 30mph and bellow.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

      Paul.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.
      Posts
      39
      Yes, more than one time.

      The most memorable event was an activation as a pedestrian suddenly walked in front of the car in a parking lot. I had not seen the pedestrian.

      For our '12 S60 the system is engaged at speeds up to 30kph/18mph.
      2012 S60 T5

    16. #14
      Member Config's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2003
      Location
      Mountain Time
      Posts
      1,021
      When my 19 y/o had her accident, one of the first things I noticed when I responded to the scene which was only 1/2 mile from the house was that the emergency braking system was engaged and that displayed on the dash. I'm certain it mitigated the impact quite a bit and it also proves that my daughter was not going at a high-rate of speed (as both vehicles had significant damage and were totaled). The other driver claims their light was green at the intersection where they hit.

      I bought her another S60 - Volvo #8 and for life
      '00 Mystic Silver metallic V70R, Rear Wing, Dolby
      '02 Desert Wind S40 Sports premium/winter pkg
      '12 Savile Gray metallic S60 T5, Premium/Climate/BLIS/City Safety/rear spoiler
      '13 Seashell metallic XC60 T6, Platinum/Climate/BLIS/Polestar-tuned/IPD anti-sway bar
      '16 Seashell metallic S60 T5 AWD (replaced '17 S60)
      '13A DICE/VIDA, x's '93 850 GLT, '04 XC90, '17 S60 T5 (Totaled!)

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Wash. County, Oregon, USA
      Posts
      537
      None with the XC70 so far but several with our former V60CC. In downtown Seattle a 'street' person walked out in front of us from behind a tall vehicle. Saved their bacon; scared the crap out of me.

      Several times we've approached our garage door as it was on the way up and had the car suddenly stop.
      Last edited by halfast3; 04-01-2020 at 10:09 AM.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

    18. #16
      Junior Member dave67r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      North Shore, MA
      Posts
      27
      Saved me once when I was stopping in traffic from a minor bumper incident. I was sure I was about to hit the mini-van in front of me, was really happy when I didn't!

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Morris, Il
      Posts
      282
      I had just driven nearly 1100 miles straight through so maybe I wasn't as sharp as I should have been. I was within a mile of my home when someone in front of me hit the brakes hard and turned. I didn't react as quickly as I normally would have and City Safe kicked in. There was no subtlety to it at all.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2019 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

    20. #18
      Junior Member contrabass's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Philadelphia
      Posts
      18
      Yeah, it kicked in for me one time that I'm pretty certain saved a minor collision.

      I was driving in heavy multi-lane local traffic. The cars in front of me were slowing down, and so was I, had my foot on the brake. I heard a tire screeching behind me, looked in my rearview mirror to see what nonsense was going on behind me. In the split-second I was doing this, the traffic in front of me suddenly slowed down even more. The City Safe braking hit the brakes for me. All was well.

      Never did figure out what the screeching tires were about behind me. (I'm paranoid about screeching tires behind me in traffic, ever since being rear-ended while stopped at a red light. The idiot rammed the 2 cars behind me hard enough to push the car behind me into my rear bumper. That was in my last car, though, not my V60.)

      I've had a couple of unremarkable false positives with City Safe braking, too. But that one time, it definitely saved me from trading insurance info with a stranger.
      2017 V60 Premiere AWD. BLIS, Convenience, heated seats and Brilliant Silver

    21. #19
      Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      I wondering if anyone has actually seen City Safe in action in the real world. I remember when they first released the XC60 with city safe. I thought it was a super cool features. Now years later I have it in my S60 but it's a low speed system. I know Volvo's logic behind implementing it was because most accidents happen at low speeds. However, I don't see any real use for the system as I believe it only operative a speeds below 30mph (correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand, I've witnessed our XC90 auto brake twice both while I was riding passenger both happened going over 30mph. Has anyone her actually seen it activate?
      Funny, I was wondering the same thing today. I've never seen City Safety intervene what so ever. Maybe because I'm generally a good driver, but there have been some instances where I took my eye off road a moment and you're slamming brake. It happens to best of us. And the Volvo hasn't kicked on City Safety ever.

    22. #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Config View Post
      When my 19 y/o had her accident, one of the first things I noticed when I responded to the scene which was only 1/2 mile from the house was that the emergency braking system was engaged and that displayed on the dash. I'm certain it mitigated the impact quite a bit and it also proves that my daughter was not going at a high-rate of speed (as both vehicles had significant damage and were totaled). The other driver claims their light was green at the intersection where they hit.

      I bought her another S60 - Volvo #8 and for life
      Sorry to harp a bit, and I'm sure I'll get hassled for it, but I suggest installing a Front + Rear Dash Camera in her replacement vehicle. Mom / Dad can see how she drives and it also serves as a black box if she's ever in a wreck. It'll show what really happened (I.E. if light was really green). I know we'd like to think 19 is a responsible age....But we're kidding no one. Insurance considers 16-24 the highest risk drivers to insure due to lack of experience, friends in the car, and numerous other factors.

      My 2 cents (you can toss them in the wishing well if you wish to ignore it).

    23. #21
      Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      Yeah it has collision warning. Its a 2016 platinum with every possible option package. It gives no audible warning before slamming on brakes though. It has beeped at me a few times when I failed to keep enough distance from a car turning into a side street or driveway in front of me. Same situation as the auto braking, I know the obstacle will be clear by the time I reach it, but the car has no situational awareness and cannot predict what will happen.

      I have had the car a little over a year, and for the first 9-10 months it NEVER activated auto braking. This last time when they repaired the gate they must have changed it's appearance or height just enough for the car's sensors to see it differently.
      City safety is different than Collision Warning. I believe Collision Avoidance and Warning were in the Technology Package. City Safety comes standard.

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      154
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      City safety is different than Collision Warning. I believe Collision Avoidance and Warning were in the Technology Package. City Safety comes standard.
      Yeah, I was aware of that. I was just replying to volvoxc9008 when he asked if I also had the optional collision warning.

      To clarify, the City Safety system is the only system that has intervened with auto braking for me. When it intervened i don't remember hearing any audible warning. I know it was city safety because after the event the dash was displaying the message that city safety has been activated and wouldn't go away until I cleared it.

      I have also had the collision warning system beep at me, but never intervene with auto-braking.

      Technically at a certain point Volvo started using the City Safety term to cover all these systems.

      "Now, City Safety takes on an extended, all-new role as the umbrella name for all Volvo Cars’ auto brake functions. The system is active at all speeds from 4 km/h (2.5 mph)." -Source

    25. #23
      Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      Yeah, I was aware of that. I was just replying to volvoxc9008 when he asked if I also had the optional collision warning.

      To clarify, the City Safety system is the only system that has intervened with auto braking for me. When it intervened i don't remember hearing any audible warning. I know it was city safety because after the event the dash was displaying the message that city safety has been activated and wouldn't go away until I cleared it.

      I have also had the collision warning system beep at me, but never intervene with auto-braking.

      Technically at a certain point Volvo started using the City Safety term to cover all these systems.

      "Now, City Safety takes on an extended, all-new role as the umbrella name for all Volvo Cars’ auto brake functions. The system is active at all speeds from 4 km/h (2.5 mph)." -Source
      I've had instances (and my fault) where I was distracted a second and slammed on brakes. City Safety never kicked in. I had to swerve to one side to not hit car. Wonder what parameters enable City Safety to intervene.

      Never seen it operate in the 4 years I've owned my car.

    26. #24
      Junior Member volvoxc9008's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      NC
      Posts
      500
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I've had instances (and my fault) where I was distracted a second and slammed on brakes. City Safety never kicked in. I had to swerve to one side to not hit car. Wonder what parameters enable City Safety to intervene.

      Never seen it operate in the 4 years I've owned my car.
      City safety only applies the brakes at the last possible moment before an accident. Whereas, on newer Volvo’s the systems will apply the brakes earlier. The logic behind this is that Volvo didn’t want the system to falsely engage. On the newer models the cameras and lasers are more advanced making them able to detect an accident and apply the brakes earlier.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    27. #25
      Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      City safety only applies the brakes at the last possible moment before an accident. Whereas, on newer Volvo’s the systems will apply the brakes earlier. The logic behind this is that Volvo didn’t want the system to falsely engage. On the newer models the cameras and lasers are more advanced making them able to detect an accident and apply the brakes earlier.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      What models got the updated Lidar? 2019+ Redesign?

    28. #26
      Junior Member volvoxc9008's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      NC
      Posts
      500
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      What models got the updated Lidar? 2019+ Redesign?
      I'm not completely sure what you're referring too but all the SPA cars have different cameras, radars, etc. than the ones in the P3 cars with City Safety.

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Wash. County, Oregon, USA
      Posts
      537
      Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      I'm not completely sure what you're referring too but all the SPA cars have different cameras, radars, etc. than the ones in the P3 cars with City Safety.
      The 2020 V60CC we had for a week as a loaner had much better ACC, navigation and handling than our similar '16. And it was on 215 series tires.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

    30. #28
      Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      I'm not completely sure what you're referring too but all the SPA cars have different cameras, radars, etc. than the ones in the P3 cars with City Safety.
      2015.5 = P3... So 2019+ = SPA. Lidar is a laser Sensor. Guessing the 2019+ SPA cars are using more advanced technology than was present in the P3s. Probably a lot to do with the complete redesign, too.

    31. #29
      Junior Member TnoV60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      603
      got it twice in a month. I was stopped in front of a lifted garae door. thought it was safe to engage when the car stop with this warning. It saved me beacause the garage door was slow to open and I nearly scratched the top windshield and roof bar. Happy about it but shocked when it happened (unexpected)
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

      Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      Fairfax, VA
      Posts
      177
      Yup! I have a 2012 S80 with the standard system. Moved over to an exit lane off the highway and didn't realize the line of cars. Was already slowing down to exit but City Safety slammed on the brakes and stopped me from rear ending the car in front of me. Looked back expecting to get rear ended myself and the car behind me slammed on their brakes and their coffee flew forward. No idea if they had auto brake too but I definitely would've rear ended the car in front.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Wash. County, Oregon, USA
      Posts
      537
      Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      Yeah, I was aware of that. I was just replying to volvoxc9008 when he asked if I also had the optional collision warning.

      To clarify, the City Safety system is the only system that has intervened with auto braking for me. When it intervened i don't remember hearing any audible warning. I know it was city safety because after the event the dash was displaying the message that city safety has been activated and wouldn't go away until I cleared it.

      I have also had the collision warning system beep at me, but never intervene with auto-braking.

      Technically at a certain point Volvo started using the City Safety term to cover all these systems.

      "Now, City Safety takes on an extended, all-new role as the umbrella name for all Volvo Cars’ auto brake functions. The system is active at all speeds from 4 km/h (2.5 mph)." -Source
      Isn't there an adjustable sensitively setting in My Car?
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      30
      Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      I wondering if anyone has actually seen City Safe in action in the real world. I remember when they first released the XC60 with city safe. I thought it was a super cool features. Now years later I have it in my S60 but it's a low speed system. I know Volvo's logic behind implementing it was because most accidents happen at low speeds. However, I don't see any real use for the system as I believe it only operative a speeds below 30mph (correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand, I've witnessed our XC90 auto brake twice both while I was riding passenger both happened going over 30mph. Has anyone her actually seen it activate?
      Once for real and many times with just a precharge. The real one was just me being a bit careless in stop and go traffic and it may have saved me from a fender bender. It's jarring because it activates at the last second at 100% braking power. Also it was shocking how tightly the belt tensioner pinned me to the seat. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it felt like 100 lbs on my chest.

      The many times it has precharged the breaks is usually because a car in front of me is turning left and I know I don't need to slow down but the car doesn't know it so it precharges the brakes which feels kinda like someone tapped them really fast and then let go. No full on false activations as of yet. THis is fortunate because it hits so hard that anyone behind you would not have time to stop.

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Posts
      17
      My '16 XC60 T6 frequently is of the opinion that I am entering my garage faster than I should and slams on the breaks. Kind of annoying but in the grand scheme of things it will more than likely someday save my ass, so I tolerate it.

    36. #34
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      820
      I trigged it once in my 2010 XC60 T6. I had started to pull out of a paid car park, the gate didn’t start moving but I started moving forward while putting my credit card back into my wallet.

      Scared the heck out of me but I was glad not to take the gate down.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Nashville TN
      Posts
      105
      Happened to me once and only once. Just through an intersection, someone was turning into the corner gas station. Despite having an Explorer AND making an almost totally level transition, they decided to COMPLETELY STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD and very gingerly go over the 1.5 inch bump into the parking lot. I was aware of this, and was gently (too gently, in the car's "mind") slowing down and checking mirrors in preparation for a lane change to simply go around the fool, but my 2012 XC60's city safety kicked in. It makes a loud almost groaning screech and you can feel the lurch. I immediately stepped on the brake harder and the system stopped intervening. Being a stickler for reading the owner's manual, I knew what had happened and in hindsight, the conditions for activation were met 100% and it activated exactly per design. I felt it was unnecessary, I but can honestly see why it activated. But, props to the car for keeping me (and my passengers) safe had I not been attentive. Car has been great and just surpassed 200k miles.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 19
      Last Post: 07-30-2016, 08:26 AM
    2. City Safe- Not so safe
      By cb4sho in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 36
      Last Post: 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM
    3. Has anyone actually won a fight with Volvo?
      By Lost240 in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
    4. Has Anyone Here Actually Did Their Own Brake Service At Home???
      By bouncer in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
    5. Has anyone actually broke the GEARTRONIC?
      By gg in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 04-28-2006, 09:58 PM