Best second Volvo for V50 T5 AWD is C30 1.8F, prove me wrong (buying advice needed)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Best second Volvo for V50 T5 AWD is C30 1.8F, prove me wrong (buying advice needed)

Hi,
      My current ride is V50 T5 AWD and I'm more than happy with it, but family needs a second (smaller) car and I wanted to have something more wallet-friendly as what comes to consumption. First was thinking to get honda/toyota/etc or whatnot but then came across C30 1.8F. Obviously cars of same brand is easier to maintain (I do that myself and have quite some experience doing nasty things to my V50 ).
      However, I've always been a fan of Volvo's own 2.4/2.5 engines and this 1.8F is some terra incognita for me.
      Is it as relatively as reliable compared to T5?
      As for fuel economy, I'm not looking for 47 MPG combined consumption, but something ca. 20% less than my T5's 23 MPG (95 octane, combined)?

Currently looking at this one, looks like it just needs a new fender (2007, 95K miles):

Any thoughts, ideas and advice are very appreciated
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 / BSR Stage 1 / Eibach pro -3 cm springs / iPd TCV / do88 IC, pipes and hoses / eFocus torque mount

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Manual T5 is bulletproof and imminently hyper-mileage-able. I have at certain points in the ownership of my C30R-D gotten 31+ mpg, plus it’s a zippy little car with some minor modifications. Were it me looking at a 30 now, I’d not even consider anything other than the R-D/T5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C30 R-Design MT Black
      2007 V70R GT Ti Grey Nordkap

Thanks @One T Scot If I was looking for an upgrade, I'd probably be looking at some S60 T6 AWD. But for a second car I need something not as powerful and thirsty, hence exploring the 1.8F engine.

By the way as for the fender repair: is that feasible to fix or better replace the whole fender?
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 / BSR Stage 1 / Eibach pro -3 cm springs / iPd TCV / do88 IC, pipes and hoses / eFocus torque mount

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mr.a View Post
      Thanks @One T Scot If I was looking for an upgrade, I'd probably be looking at some S60 T6 AWD. But for a second car I need something not as powerful and thirsty, hence exploring the 1.8F engine.

By the way as for the fender repair: is that feasible to fix or better replace the whole fender?
      Quarter repairs are horrible. It's never going to be right, probably worse if they cut & section a repalcement panel, but good luck finding a bodyshop with the skills to panel beat that straight - highly unlikely. Bette roff looking for one that is straight that just needs mechanical work, or a front end hit where it's all bolt on.

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
      Quarter repairs are horrible. It's never going to be right, probably worse if they cut & section a repalcement panel, but good luck finding a bodyshop with the skills to panel beat that straight - highly unlikely. Bette roff looking for one that is straight that just needs mechanical work, or a front end hit where it's all bolt on.
      I anticipated that rear fender is PIA to change on this car. But it's an auction lot, so depends if I can get it cheap enough and find a new fender.

I anticipated that rear fender is PIA to change on this car. But it's an auction lot, so depends if I can get it cheap enough and find a new fender.
      Did you check around for quotes on replacement yet? It's gonna be steep. Plus either the whole car or most of it will need to be painted to properly blend the silver. It's also gonna rust, count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
      Did you check around for quotes on replacement yet? It's gonna be steep. Plus either the whole car or most of it will need to be painted to properly blend the silver. It's also gonna rust, count on it.
      Yup, a rough estimate that I'm mentally prepared to is 1000-1300 euro (1100-1500 usd), given there's no need to paint the whole car. Does it sound realistic?

Yup, a rough estimate that I'm mentally prepared to is 1000-1300 euro (1100-1500 usd), given there's no need to paint the whole car. Does it sound realistic?
      I have no idea, that's why I suggested calling around. Hard for them to be exact, since no way to tell how much damage is there to the substructure. Your estimate seems low though.

T5

That repair is at least $3k.
      Quarter is $450+ and ~20 hours of labor (body shop common rate of $125/hr) is $2,500. Sounds fair.

This is how much of the car need replaced for the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by manydubs View Post
      T5
      Already got one

Quote Originally Posted by sleepstate View Post
      That repair is at least $3k.
      Quarter is $450+ and ~20 hours of labor (body shop common rate of $125/hr) is $2,500. Sounds fair.

This is how much of the car need replaced for the panel.
      Thanks, so I underestimated it quite a lot.
      Anyways, I've decided to find an accident free one, cause I'd really like to try out that 1.8F engine, but still want to be able to easily sell it if it doesn't work for me.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements