New Volvo Accessory: Keyless Key Package
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New Volvo Accessory: Keyless Key Package

Anyone familiar with this accessory? The details provided aren't clear regarding "advanced theft prevention."

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-518815/2020
      Current:
      2019 XC90 T6 R-Design

Past:
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2012 C70 T5 Inscription
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 XC90 T6
      1999 V70R T5

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Interested as well. Let’s see if someone chimes in on this in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't heard of this until now. Not sure what changes have been made.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Perhaps keys that can "go to sleep" to prevent theft by relaying the transmitted signal
      from key to car for cars with keyless entry?
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

The marketing description says 'The advanced theft protection in the keys helps prevent a potential crime involving your vehicle. This means that as the owner of the vehicle, you can feel secure when you leave the vehicle unattended.' Does that mean that those of use who dont take advantage of this ' should NOT feel secure when we leave our vehicle unattended'. Yikeees!

If the current keys are unsecure it would be nice for Volvo to upgrade them free of charge (which obviously they won't)
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

From the Notes under this accessory P/N:

Note!
      The chassis numbers refer to a change during model year 20. The break took place in week 46, 2019, and only applies to vehicles built since then.
      Vehicle models are produced in different factories. Therefore, check the 11th position in the VIN code to see which chassis number applies for your vehicle.
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

So does this mean if my car was built in Jan 2020, it works salary have this upgraded key? Or does it mean I can upgrade my key to this?

Total speculation on my part, as the description is not clear, but I think it means that it is available for all vehicles prior to and including chassis number 578773. That would include all 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 vehicles before that chassis number. I believe that vehicles produced from chassis number 578774 already have this upgraded safety feature.

It is listed as an available accessory on Volvo's website when you change model years for 2016 though 2020.

Hopefully "Tech" or "Gunshow" can find out more information and inform us.
      Current:
      2019 XC90 T6 R-Design

Past:
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2012 C70 T5 Inscription
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 XC90 T6
      1999 V70R T5

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      If the current keys are unsecure it would be nice for Volvo to upgrade them free of charge (which obviously they won't)
      Perhaps the current keys are not unsecure, maybe the new ones are just more secure.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Does anyone know exactly what is NOT secure and HOW these new keys are more secure? Is there some device car thieves use that I don't know about that lets them use a universal device they can buy on ebay that opens Volvo cars???
      Can anyone elaborate on this key issue?

What I've read is that a team can use a device to boost the signal from the fob, if it can be picked up near the house, and relay that to another device near the car that imitates the key. This isn't unique to Volvo and others having been working to find a way around it. Some may have done so. Whether or not that's the issue here I don't know.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      What I've read is that a team can use a device to boost the signal from the fob, if it can be picked up near the house, and relay that to another device near the car that imitates the key. This isn't unique to Volvo and others having been working to find a way around it. Some may have done so. Whether or not that's the issue here I don't know.
      +100
      I think you got this spot on. This just makes the most sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concord is quite right. This is a really common crime in the UK - high end luxury cars with keyless go are stolen constantly. The first thing I did when I picked up my XC90 was to buy two signal-blocking pouches from Amazon for a few pounds. I always leave the keys in these overnight. Someone said that a cookie tin was just as good, but it didn't block the signal at all - I could still open the car door with the keys in the tin. The pouches do work though. If you look on youtube and see how easy it is for a thief to unlock a car with keyless go in a matter of seconds, you will see how insecure they are. It is ridiculous.

Put your keys inside a faraday cage and problem solved. I use an office container made of a metallic mesh to block the signal:

[QUOTE=carz;7546305]Put your keys inside a faraday cage and problem solved. I use an office container made of a metallic mesh to block the signal:

I was under the impression that a Faraday cage required coverage on all sides (not the open top.) But, yes, a Faraday cage or a signal blocking pouch or similar will stop this if you remember to use it.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Quote Originally Posted by muttley View Post
      Concord is quite right. This is a really common crime in the UK - high end luxury cars with keyless go are stolen constantly. The first thing I did when I picked up my XC90 was to buy two signal-blocking pouches from Amazon for a few pounds. I always leave the keys in these overnight. Someone said that a cookie tin was just as good, but it didn't block the signal at all - I could still open the car door with the keys in the tin. The pouches do work though. If you look on youtube and see how easy it is for a thief to unlock a car with keyless go in a matter of seconds, you will see how insecure they are. It is ridiculous.
      True. That's why I replied (#3) that this new key may be a solution for this problem.
      I have seen messages about this key on (I think) a Dutch forum.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      Put your keys inside a faraday cage and problem solved. I use an office container made of a metallic mesh to block the signal:

The Faraday case works only if it is essentially completely enclosed. Your pictures are missing one big side!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

They'll not do it only when car is at home. You go shopping, one follows you closely with the transmitter, other one stays with the car, and gone.

So you'd need the pouches for the keys always, including in your pocket.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit View Post
      They'll not do it only when car is at home. You go shopping, one follows you closely with the transmitter, other one stays with the car, and gone.
      So you'd need the pouches for the keys always, including in your pocket.
      Which, in my opinion, makes the added comfort of keyless entry a lot less.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      Which, in my opinion, makes the added comfort of keyless entry a lot less.
      Absolutely.

I work in Cyber Security and something like this is called a vulnerability which is normally always fixed for free in the software and IT world.

But many automotive and IoT manufacturers want to play things differently when it comes to delivering fixes while they do enjoy coming into the IT and Cyber Security world with their car technologies. Bit of a double standard IMO.

Volvo should address this as a warranty issue.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I emailed Volvo customer care and asked them about it. They replied with
      The key fob package listed adds an extra layer of security which would scramble the key code for customers who may live in an area with a high rate of auto-theft.
      They also included that all XC40s already have this increased anti theft protection due to the Car Sharing features.

It's anti-replay/relay protection most likely.

So an adversary can't use a long range antenna aimed at your house to make the car think the key is nearby/inside.

If you do a full read-out in VIDA, you'll see the (American market anyway) keys are listed as "standard security" or "no encryption" or something to that effect. Basically, some wording that implies "this is not the top level of security available".

I assume the car probably needs a minimum hardware revision of the CEM (it handles key authentication) to use this new updated key hardware though?

Good to see Volvo doing this though! Hopefully it'll become the default in newer cars!
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Quote Originally Posted by shammyh View Post
      I assume the car probably needs a minimum hardware revision of the CEM (it handles key authentication) to use this new updated key hardware though?
      As I understand it, the key that stops tramsmitting when it hasn't sensed motion for a given time.
      If that is indeed the case, the only action needed may be a Vida authetication of the new key(s).
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Anyone know how much this upgrade costs for MY 2016 set of keys?
      2016 XC90 Momentum Plus T6, Convenience, Vision, Climate, HUD

So I've got an Australian xc90. Built 46w (Jan 2020). The last 5 digits of my vin is higher than 578774. My key fob looks like the one on the picture, except the lever to take it apart is black plastic instead of chrome.

I left my key next to the car for 15 mins. Without touching the key (it was stationary on the floor), it would still open the car. I repeated this 3 times, so total of 45 mins, and the car still opened.

Either my car doesn't have this feature, the time out is longer than 45mins, or it works another way than just a time out.

I wonder if it would be safest if the key sent a message to the car, the car received it, sent back a signal to the key, before another signal was sent out from the key which actually unlocks the car. (Absolutely zero evidence for this)

Volvo were planning to make 'increased security' available as standard for MY21 vehicles with keyless entry, the hint was it would be keys which go to sleep after so much time with no movement.
      I note that the description doesn't specifically say that.

Ford Europe made sleeping keys standard for keyless Fiesta and Focus from May 19. They are available as dealer supplied extras for any keyless Mk8 Fiesta and Mk4 Focus.

Scrambled tansmission doesn't prevent sniffing and relaying hack, unless transmission timestamp is encoded into the data. But it requires clock with very high precision on both keyfob and car to detect distance of 5m by transmission delay.

For best security, a key should use fingerprint reader to detect you are the owner then it starts transmitting for 5 minutes. Yeh this would require you to reach to pocket while going to your car. It is inconvenience. But essentially any kind of convenience compromises security.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 03-28-2020 at 09:09 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

... actually you need a precise clock only on one side: car or key sends a message to the other side and times how long the reply takes. If it takes suspiciously long then no door opening... but this is just a moot point, without knowing what exactly the new keys are doing there is not a lot of value in discussing theory
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements