2010 XC60 Windshield Leak -What's Fair??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2010 XC60 Windshield Leak -What's Fair??

In summer 2017, we discovered a windshield leak on the passenger side of our 2010 XC60. I had researched the known issue (but not recall) of the OEM sealant and reached out to the dealer and Volvo corporate about it. Volvo corporate spoke to the dealer and agreed to cover the cost of resealing it. 1 week ago, it rained terribly here and I came out to an inch of water on the floor near the pedals. I had it towed back to the dealer who determined that there was a leak on the other side now. They agreed to once again cover the cost to reseal (with a new kind of sealant) because they have a lifetime warranty on repairs. They contacted me a few days later to say that the windshield was done, but they had removed the carpets to let them dry. Their recommendation was to replace the carpets because of the water. However they wanted to charge we $2861 to replace them. I asked if there was any mold, and if the current carpets could be cleaned and sanitized or were they unusable. They said no mold and the carpets could be reused and now they would only charge me $712. SHOULD I BE CHARGED AT ALL? Plus they already had removed the carpets without asking for my authorization. The carpets would not have sustained damage if the windshield was done properly the first time. I've reached out to corporate once again to involve them and I'm awaiting a resolution.

What does this group think? Thanks and I hope everyone is staying safe.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The fact that they covered the resealing work on a ten year old car is pretty impressive to me.

That said, they should have told you that they were removing the carpets and charging you for it. I would see if you can get the $712 reduced to like $500 - that would seem reasonable to me overall. YMMV.

If this had happened to my car I probably would have done the carpet removal myself - it's actually pretty easy, done it a few times on an older model.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Check and make sure the sunroof drains are clear

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      Check and make sure the sunroof drains are clear

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      It doesn't have a sunroof. Luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      The fact that they covered the resealing work on a ten year old car is pretty impressive to me.

That said, they should have told you that they were removing the carpets and charging you for it. I would see if you can get the $712 reduced to like $500 - that would seem reasonable to me overall. YMMV.

If this had happened to my car I probably would have done the carpet removal myself - it's actually pretty easy, done it a few times on an older model.
      I'm not impressed that they're doing it. They resealed the windows once already 2 years ago and apparently didn't do it properly. They have a lifetime warranty on repairs at the dealership. I' not sure how easy it is to remove the carpets, but I know they had to remove all of the seats to do so. Doesn't sound easy to me.

I'd look into local laws, but I'd bet they have to contact you for approval for any amount over a certain percentage above what you were quoted at the time of write up. So if you were quoted nothing, then they would need to call you to authorize removal of the carpets before doing any work.

The original windshield work is the issue here and they gave it a lifetime warranty. If they admitted the failure was under warranty, they should uphold the promise to repair it. Presumably that includes consequential parts and labor. Whether opportunistic or sincere about giving you the option to replace the carpet, they still need to reinstall the carpet that they chose to dry or inspect. Unless there was a specific clause to exclude consequential damage and labor, I don’t think they are justified charging you for the labor it takes to reinstall the carpet. If you declined the new carpet, they must still reassemble the parts (carpet). It would be just as coercive if they removed the engine or wheels to check for defects and then required you pay them for reassembly. The dealer is certainly taking a financial hit here, but that is how a warranty works. The manager probably decided to see if you’d chip in. It is uncomfortable, but now you should call their bluff.
      Last edited by blindkarma; 03-26-2020 at 08:58 PM.
      2008 S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus with Polestar, Rich Java.

Quote Originally Posted by bielski View Post
      I'm not impressed that they're doing it. They resealed the windows once already 2 years ago and apparently didn't do it properly. They have a lifetime warranty on repairs at the dealership. I' not sure how easy it is to remove the carpets, but I know they had to remove all of the seats to do so. Doesn't sound easy to me.
      Volvo's lifetime warranty on repairs only applies to instances where you paid for it the first time. Perhaps your dealership offers something over and above that.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements