S40 throttle issues
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Junior Member edgar.a.montoya@gmail.com's Avatar

S40 throttle issues

So I started up my car today for the first time in a week and after filling it up, i took it for a drive. I noticed that when i accelerated hard it began to surge a bit and feel like it lost power. Slow acceleration was fine and no issues. I am guessing that it is a turbo issue. Also when I got home i noticed that the exhaust smelled a bit rich and the inside of the pipe was black. I am guessing this is a turbo issue. Any ideas? I was already thinking of changing out the turbo control valve and turbo bypass valve, so hopefully thats the fix.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm assuming no codes yet. I would look for something more simple first. Fuel pressure sensors and turbo control valves are common issues. Spark plugs and coil packs could also produce your symptoms.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Yes - I had these exact same symptoms, slow acceleration was fine but attempt anything more and you were met with surge/decel that felt like bucking.

TCV change fixed it.

I recommend either going Porsche HD or with a MAC valve (iPD HD or Elevate HD). Going OEM again in this case means you'll be right back here in about 80-100k.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Yes - I had these exact same symptoms, slow acceleration was fine but attempt anything more and you were met with surge/decel that felt like bucking.

TCV change fixed it.

I recommend either going Porsche HD or with a MAC valve (iPD HD or Elevate HD). Going OEM again in this case means you'll be right back here in about 80-100k.
      Good recommendations!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

As a quick fix, resetting the ECU may help temporarily. Disconnect the battery terminals and short them (cables, not the battery) for a few seconds. Whenever my daughter's T5 feels sluggish, resetting rejuvenates it for the next 5-10k miles. The root cause is probably a deteriorating TCV that will eventually have to be replaced but ME9 can accommodate surprisingly well once it has been reset.

Yeah, common issue I see.

I had those too, but in my case it was:
      a) Fuel Pressure Sensor - removed most of the stalling
      b) MAF - cleared remaining acceleration problems

IMHO You would better try FPS first. Then TCV and in the worst scenario MAF.

Except FPS I had no codes for most of the time. Brace yourself to find it out
      '05 S40 T5 Black /w 18" Medusas & Trunk Lip

Junior Member edgar.a.montoya@gmail.com's Avatar
      10-4. I already have a TCV on the way that I purchased from a member here. I hadn’t looked into the FPS, I’ll check that out tonight. I have some MAF cleaner that I’ll also try and see if that helps. Thanks for the help.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements