2015.5 S60 T6 R-Design Platinum transmission qualities
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2015.5 S60 T6 R-Design Platinum transmission qualities

I currently drive my third Volvo - a 2012 S80 T6 (I miss my 98 s70 T5 more than anything). My car has always had the quirky transmission characteristics. Engine flaring, jerky and inconsistent shifts. The worst one of them all is the car refuses to down shift from second to first when rolling at slow speeds so when I go to accelerate again it thuds down into first gear. The car had the TCM reprogrammed at 70k. It now reads 125k on the odometer. I've done my best to drive gingerly by always coming to complete stops to help mitigate the wear and tear on the transmission. However just recently the car started what feels like to me like slipping into gear going up from first to second. My fear is its on its way out.

My question is if the AWTF-80 transmission characteristics and qualities had/have been ironed out at all in the newer model years that they were used.

I'm looking at getting out of this car to avoid a transmission replacement and into something new (to me) and I have a 2015.5 S60 R-Design Platinum on my radar. However if all of these transmissions have the same qualities across the board I may shy away.

TIA,
      wharfrat

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a 2017 S60i T5 with 26k miles and have non of those transmission issues. I had a 99 S70 GLT and prefer the drive e engine with the 8 spd transmission. It has a lighter feeling. The S70 felt heavy. I just plan to have the fluid changed regularly maybe a 40k to ensure no issues. To me an early and regular transmission fluid change is cheap insurance.

You are late by at least 25k miles for a power flush and fill. With that, unless heavily abused, the transmissions are good for about 200k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      You are late by at least 25k miles for a power flush and fill. With that, unless heavily abused, the transmissions are good for about 200k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always under the impression that the trans flush did little to nothing for functionality of these transmissions. But if I've been misinformed maybe I will have one done. I have an independent shop that does all my work up here in Maine. I'm curious what the cost will be

My 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T started making what I thought was transmission noise at 115,000 miles. The transmission fluid was light brown, and had never been changed. With some trepidation, I removed 3 quarts using the Gibbons method, and added back 3 quarts of Valvoline synthetic ATF. This process was repeated at 118,000 miles. The transmission works perfectly, and now it has relatively clean fluid. It was never flushed, the method used involves removing a hose at the cooler, and allowing fluid to be pumped into an external container, as the engine runs. The noise I heard turned out to be a bad bearing the in A/C compressor, but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      My 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T started making what I thought was transmission noise at 115,000 miles. The transmission fluid was light brown, and had never been changed. With some trepidation, I removed 3 quarts using the Gibbons method, and added back 3 quarts of Valvoline synthetic ATF. This process was repeated at 118,000 miles. The transmission works perfectly, and now it has relatively clean fluid. It was never flushed, the method used involves removing a hose at the cooler, and allowing fluid to be pumped into an external container, as the engine runs. The noise I heard turned out to be a bad bearing the in A/C compressor, but that's another story.
      I'm not sure if the 2005 or 2012 has a drain plug, but if you want to do a partial fluid change on the 2015 you can just remove the drain plug. That will drain just over 3 quarts from the trans sump. You can do the Gibbons method and disconnect the trans cooler lines, but I believe the only benefit of using the torque converter to pump the fluid out is that you could remove more of the old fluid in one go and therefore reduce the amount of old fluid mixing with the new when you refill.

I have a 2016 with the AW TF-80SC 6 speed. Had it for just over a year and have gone from 40k miles to 54k miles. I have no real experience with earlier versions of this trans, but based on what I have read here, there were several rolling updates (both software and hardware) done over the years. This was done to address a lot of valid complaints, mostly about low speed shifting (trans essentially doing a neutral drop to first or second gear when accelerating after coasting/slowing down) and clunking when selecting R or D. The later versions are certainly the most refined.

My experience is... the trans is not perfect, but its not as bad as some of the horror stories I have read from earlier models. Mine has, once or twice, felt a little jerky when re-engaging the gear after slowing to an almost stop, then trying to accelerate. It is very rare though and hasn't happened since I changed the trans fluid. This is also my first auto trans in 17 years, so I knew going in it wasn't going to do exactly what I wanted every time, you have to learn how it reacts and adapt your driving to it. You just learn to be light on the throttle until you can feel that everything has engaged smoothly.

In short, the trans is buttery smooth 99.9% of the time. I would not hesitate to buy another 2015-2016 year model with this trans. Most say the newer 8 speed is a better unit, and it should be, but then you're stuck with the 4 cyl. engine, which has issues all it's own in the first couple production years.
      Last edited by budleach; Yesterday at 08:12 AM.

Two things: first, if your trans hasn't had an update in the last couple of years, look in to having that done. We had a Volvo free service for life level 2.0 software update/reflash in January. It was transformational. We get lifetime free updates from our US dealer and I've seen online that Volvo Canada has the same program... not sure of the qualifying criteria but it's worth checking to see if your car is eligible.

Second, the AT is adaptive. It learns your driving style. If you drive it gently you'll end up with a rather soft, unresponsive level of AT performance. OTOH, if you pull it over into 'Sport' and drive it once in a while, you'll be rewarded with much better response, more intuitive downshifts and higher shift points... all a plus to my thinking. YMMV
      Last edited by halfast3; Today at 11:07 AM.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; '6? 145DL & '7? 245DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

"Teacher fired for drinking on the job. Two students expelled for fighting and insubordination. Other than that, the first week of homeschooling went great! "

After going three times to the dealer for jerky shifts on my 2015 T6 I replaced the upper passenger side engine mounts which solved the issue 100% and made the car drive like new again. I dealt with the bad shifts for 20k miles. It started around 45k and I changed the mount around 65k. Now at 75k and still smooth. Wish I would have done it back at 45k.

Sent from my Galaxy S20+ using Tapatalk
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2020 Ford F-150 Platinum/ 2019 VW Golf R 6MT
      Fun: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (Trailered track monster)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

I'll inquire about a transmission flush but I refuse to fork over thousands of dollars for a software update that was already done in 2018.
      Last edited by wharfrat; Today at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      Two things: first, if your trans hasn't had an update in the last couple of years, look in to having that done; it can be transformational. We get lifetime free updates from our dealer.

Second, the AT is adaptive. It learns your driving style. If you drive it gently you'll end up with a rather soft, unresponsive level of AT performance. OTOH, if you pull it over into 'Sport' and drive it once in a while, you'll be rewarded with much better response, more intuitive downshifts and a bit higher shift points... all a plus to my thinking. YMMV
      I bought the car with 75k on it. I've driven it for 50k. And at no point in time has it adapted to how I drive. Its been me adapting to the transmission. The TCM was replaced and updated around 70K if I remember correctly from the work order.

I don't drive it "soft" but I try not to do things that seem to be unsettling. The car refuses to downshift into first from second when rolling until you accelerate again and it thuds down into first. i.e rolling through a stop sign or rolling into a red light that's about to turn green. I just try to come to a complete stop in these scenarios. Shifting in general when the transmission is not under load are wildly inconsistent. When coasting down a hill in 2nd gear at 1500 RPM the transmission feels the need to up shift into 3rd when I go to accelerate again.

Pulling it into sport mode works in some scenarios but it's not suited for city driving and riding around town. The TCM still overrides driver input and will down shift when it thinks it needs to.

The "update your transmission" every so often is mind boggling. I can understand updating the software once but having to do it routinely is a money grab. Volvo owners are supposed to be okay with the idea of dumping thousands of dollars into their car every so often because Volvo and Aisin can't pull their heads out of the sand to fix a component in a vehicle that is mass produced. Especially if its just plugging you vehicle into a computer and uploading some software.

And aside from the transmission its also horrible for the driveshafts of the vehicles.

Updated my post #7 above.

Interesting read: https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/1017...mission-issues
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; '6? 145DL & '7? 245DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

"Teacher fired for drinking on the job. Two students expelled for fighting and insubordination. Other than that, the first week of homeschooling went great! "

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements