2006 XC90 V8 - Haldex Leak & Engine Oil Leaks
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Cool 2006 XC90 V8 - Haldex Leak & Engine Oil Leaks

Hello all,

I have a 2006 XC90 V8 with 138k miles. I have owned since 109k miles and the vehicle was relatively well maintained by the dealer prior to my purchase.

Soon after I bought, I began using Castrol synthetic blend "high mileage" oil in the engine, and noticed some small oil leaks soon after. There were no leaks (or smells) to my knowledge at purchase and I m fairly sure this oil choice started some small seeps. I have not been able to identify one location and think there may be several, there is small drips all over the pan and in various areas on the underside of the engine. Has anyone found a "stop leak"product that can help with this? Would changing the oil to another dino oil (instead of blend) slow this down?

Also, I have noted an oil/sludge film on the undercarraige around the haldex unit. The haldex filter is also covered in oil/sludge and it is obvious there is seep here. I replaced the fluid when I bought the vehicle 30k miles ago, and today I went to replace it again and it was empty. It appears that the unit had leaked all/most fluid out. I filled 500mL and wasn't able to overflow the unit. Is there a common seal failure point on these units? Oil appears to be close to the connection to the driveshaft (on the undercarraige) mainly. Is it likely this low fluid level killed the pump?

Thanks everyone for any input. Overall i love this vehicle and want to keep it in top shape for a few more years.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Lucas oil stop leak high mileage top off additive,.. not to be confused with the normal Lucas stop leak the normal Lucas stop leak is in a very thick additive that will increase your oil pressure and viscosity that you donít want to do you want to use the Lucas oil stop leak high mileage top off additive this comes in a 5W 30 form and has additives in it that help treat the seals and gaskets like your valve cover gaskets and the seals in the top of the valve covers
      Also itís easy to confuse one with the other be sure to check the hose coming from the power steering fluid reservoir to the pump check those clamps are snug donít tighten the hell out of them but they may take a turn or so and snug up also the return line for the fluid going into the tank that clamp may be needed to be tightened also
      Do your front tires have considerably more aware than the rear tires I had this on my 07 V8 Exie 90 it turns out that the pump although it had leaked it failed so I had to have the pump replaced and they did the flu and then also but then the car warranty tires even because I had my rear drive as well as my front In hindsight I couldíve done this job myself but it was years ago before I learned more about these cars itís not a terribly hard job many have said that the filter gets clogged and it stops the palm from working but you can check the pump for power to see that itís either got power to it or not before buying a new one

Hi you may want to search for Haldex on the forum, there is a kit to replace the filter (9 below) which come with a O-ring seal. It is also known that the pump will failed at some point especailly if the filter of the pump (3) gets clogged.
      check this thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...x-Servicing-Qs but there are other good thread on servicing haldex.

good luck
      this is the Haldex Gen III
      haldex GEN IIIjpg.jpg
      Last edited by stayfunny; 03-27-2020 at 09:07 PM.
      2005 XC90 V8 TF-80SC 120k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1963 View Post
      Do your front tires have considerably more aware than the rear tires I had this on my 07 V8 Exie 90 it turns out that the pump although it had leaked it failed so I had to have the pump replaced and they did the flu and then also but then the car warranty tires even because I had my rear drive as well as my front In hindsight I couldíve done this job myself but it was years ago before I learned more about these cars itís not a terribly hard job many have said that the filter gets clogged and it stops the palm from working but you can check the pump for power to see that itís either got power to it or not before buying a new one
      What are you trying to say ?

Thanks guys.

Right before I found this forum, I put a bottle of STP Oil stop leak in the vehicle. It is very thick/sticky. I have only had it in for about 50 miles so far, not sure if it has done anything. Should I be concerned with an additive like this in the 4.4?

My PS pump is not leaking, it is definitely engine oil.

Regarding the haldex leak, I did replace the filter when I did the fluid last time (30,000 miles ago). The unit in general is covered in a film of oil as well as the undercarriage in this area, so it is hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. I see a pretty prominent oil/fluid leak line on the part labeled 7 in the diagram above. It makes me wander if the "6" seal could be the issue?

If the fluid was low, and my pump burned up, would I get a code of some sort? I put ~600mL of fluid when I added to it, and was able to get none out with my vacuum pump. I think it was almost completely empty.

Hi there,
      Regarding the engine oil seeping, it is quite common for the V8 of this age especially if the valve cover gasket replacement was never done, using high mileage oil or other additive is not the best but it won't hurt at this 'age' and will help reducing oil seeping.

Now for the Haldex, as you describe the leak i will check the Pinion Seal PN30713263. But first i will clean with brake cleaner to be sure where the leak come from. Also check this thread as it happen to me the pinion seal failed (this is rare) and it was leaking the differential oil not the AOC transmission oil there are 2 different chambers. Are you sure this is the AOC transmission oil that is leaking or the rear diff oil?

unfortunately VIDA will not give you any code for the AOC/Haldex, there is not sensor for fluid level.

Good luck in finding the source of the leak.
      2005 XC90 V8 TF-80SC 120k miles

Thanks stayfunny.

It is definitely the haldex, it was bone dry (or close) when I was replacing all fluids in the vehicle. I did the rear diff the same day and it dribbled fluid when I took out the bolt. In other words I am positive it was a full chamber in the rear diff.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements