2007 S80 v8 transmission swap
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2007 S80 v8 transmission swap

After considering for week, I pulled trigger and bought 2007 S80 V8 in good condition (inside & outside) but with transmission problem (price was good and I calculated it before purchase). When I turn on car, it seems OK but after 15-20 min I am getting all kind of issues (hard bang from 'N' to 'R', hard downshifting - almost engine is going get out from hood,...). The transmission code is '06K'.

Based what I see, the change just transmission fluid would be 'band aid' and on long run, I'd be posting similar question after a few months....I made decision to fix transmission and whatever it takes with it.

One option is replace 'valve body' with updated one. The other option to buy used transmission and I am wondering how to find out which one is going fit.

The question: what is the latest transmission what it could be added to car without any modification, tweaking etc. Is it year 2010 or ..?

Btw, I am new user (I have also 2007 XC70).

A.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You can fit the transmission from 2007-2010.

I replaced my 06D transmission in my 2007 with a unit from a 2008 S80 V8. Originally i did the valve body rebuild kit on the valve body, but it didn't work well. To replace the transmission is a mission, the entire subframe needs to be removed. I did it myself and did all the seals on the engine at the same time since I was there. I also changed the angle gear sleeve thing.

The only issue i've been getting lately is a slight torque converter shudder. I think that's an issue on the newer ones.

Personally, If you can replace the valve body first, I would suggest that you go that route. It can be done with the transmission still in the car.

You're also from Toronto! Where abouts? we can meet up and I can explain to you exactly what I did.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

Quote Originally Posted by ieatglue View Post
      You can fit the transmission from 2007-2010.

I replaced my 06D transmission in my 2007 with a unit from a 2008 S80 V8. Originally i did the valve body rebuild kit on the valve body, but it didn't work well. To replace the transmission is a mission, the entire subframe needs to be removed. I did it myself and did all the seals on the engine at the same time since I was there. I also changed the angle gear sleeve thing.

The only issue i've been getting lately is a slight torque converter shudder. I think that's an issue on the newer ones.

Personally, If you can replace the valve body first, I would suggest that you go that route. It can be done with the transmission still in the car.

You're also from Toronto! Where abouts? we can meet up and I can explain to you exactly what I did.

I think it is my first step - change valve body and add new transmission fluid (which one did you use and how much for replacement). Due to I have transmission starting with '06K', I assume the transmission is with updated parts and maybe I am going do first just flush which it could be band aid (postpone until replacement body valve).
      I sent you private message with my contact and we can chat about your experience due to I like idea about replace entire transmission with new one.

Alex

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zemun1234 View Post
      I think it is my first step - change valve body and add new transmission fluid (which one did you use and how much for replacement). Due to I have transmission starting with '06K', I assume the transmission is with updated parts and maybe I am going do first just flush which it could be band aid (postpone until replacement body valve).
      I sent you private message with my contact and we can chat about your experience due to I like idea about replace entire transmission with new one.

Alex
      06J is the cutoff for that one specific valve-body issue, but others have reported having issues which present themselves in very similar ways on transmissions after the cutoff.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 & 2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

ieatglue was very helpful to me. Fluid change isn`t going to help. It shows all the signs of Valve Body. I changed mine # was 6J, I don`t think the number is a guarantee. It doesn`t take a lot of those bangs before the transmission needs replacing. Don`t buy a rebuilt body unless you can find one from SONNAX, which isn`t easy. Just order a new one from Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      ieatglue was very helpful to me. Fluid change isn`t going to help. It shows all the signs of Valve Body. I changed mine # was 6J, I don`t think the number is a guarantee. It doesn`t take a lot of those bangs before the transmission needs replacing. Don`t buy a rebuilt body unless you can find one from SONNAX, which isn`t easy. Just order a new one from Volvo
      My approach would be to buy valve body from SONNAX and replace in current transmission ...As for buying directly from Volvo, I assume the price is going be brutal Volvo is not making transmission and not sure why I should buy from them if I can go directly through SONNAX.

Due to COVID-19 the search is limited and I put my car in garage until better days come.

Because SONNAX only sells to jobbers. So you have to get a shop to order one for you, ( not what they feel like doing) From Volvo is between $1250 and $1400, not that bad. Volvo doesn`t make the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Because SONNAX only sells to jobbers. So you have to get a shop to order one for you, ( not what they feel like doing) From Volvo is between $1250 and $1400, not that bad. Volvo doesn`t make the transmission.
      I am in Canada and for any reason parts for Volvo are at least 2-3x more expensive vs USA. I am buying parts mostly in USA.

I am wondering if you could please provide link where I can find transmission for above price. I called Volvo dealership and they redirect me to transmission shop (read: they are not selling/fixing transmission or transmission fluid on V8 due to it is lifetime )

A.

2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 & 2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

I appreciate for provided links ...In meanwhile, I configured VIDA and as first step, I am going analyze some codes (nothing major but I'd like take care of it).

Quote Originally Posted by zemun1234 View Post
      After considering for week, I pulled trigger and bought 2007 S80 V8 in good condition (inside & outside) but with transmission problem (price was good and I calculated it before purchase). When I turn on car, it seems OK but after 15-20 min I am getting all kind of issues (hard bang from 'N' to 'R', hard downshifting - almost engine is going get out from hood,...). The transmission code is '06K'.

Based what I see, the change just transmission fluid
      To everyone now and in the future if you change the transmission fluid on any volvo made after 2000 you need to perform/reset the transmission fluid counter on VIDA.
      This lets the computer know the fluid flow rate as well as viscosity & temp range will differ as the fluid is new.
      97 850 R - Stock but many mods coming soon
      98 C70 T5 - Too many mods to list
      98 XC70 - B&G spring,bilstein struts, 302mm brakes,HD sway bar
      2005 V70R - K&N filter,poly bushings
      2007 S80 V8 - Custom intake piping, no muffler

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements