No Idle Warm Up? Kinda Missing?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

No Idle Warm Up? Kinda Missing?

What's up guys, after posting this in the regular S60 area I decided to also post in here, despite not being an R, because A) these cars are like 95% the same and B) I figured I would get a response faster since I'm taking it in otherwise in a day or two!

06 S60 T5M, 210k, Stage 1 Hilton (soon to be stage 2+ when I get that virus check... )

So for a while it's been missing or something RIGHT AT max boost, but no codes; it doesn't feel as bad as a miss, more like... a weak miss? I thought it might be a weak spark, but new plugs didn't help and removing the air filter helped a lot, so I switched to thinking it was the MAF with a cracked housing (pre-sensor) causing intake air turbulence at the sensor and a bad reading. Anyway, the other day the CEL came on for the MAF so I swapped it out and it started running even worse!

The newly revealed problem is that it kinda misses occasionally when idling and near idle throttle, but drives fine normally (except the boost thing is still there). Basically some symptoms typical of fuel trim issues? Also the CEL is on, it says for the MAF again which is obviously not accurate... The interesting thing is that as of a day or two ago it has stopped doing the 2k rpm rev to warm things up like it's supposed to, which perhaps indicates something wrong with an O2 sensor or something telling the computer that the emissions are already fine.

That state return just hit, so I'm planning to take it in in the next day or two if I can't find anything on it myself, since they have the diagnostic tools. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and they knew what to do. It seems like this new symptom would be characteristic of a particular sensor going bad, or some other specific issue, and it can't just be me.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What's up with your intake pipes/charge pipes. Those are the symptoms I got whenever I had a coupler blow off or had a dirty MAF. Are you running an OEM filter, ditch the K&N if you have one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere
      TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic

I suspected that as well, and had the whole intake system smoked about a month or two ago. There was only one leak, a small one right after the MAF. They replaced that part and it stopped making the slight whistling sound, but performance was unchanged. I assume they didn't find another leak (and yes, I trust the guys at this shop completely).

Yeah, the filter is OEM. I tried going in to autozone the first time and asking for a filter, but the guy tried to sell me a square filter. It took me going out and physically showing him that it was a cone before he believed the computer was wrong. Even then he was insistent that I had no clue about the car, and the filter must be aftermarket . Anyway, it's one of those yellow ones with the weird piece of foam around the middle!

It was about a year ago that I started having high-end boost issues. Since then I have found bad plugs (felt pretty dumb after that one!), the turbo was dropped and is in good shape, the CBV is fine, TCV was replaced twice, wastegate was pressure tested, then later replaced with an upgraded unit, all coils have been replaced within the past 50k, and the harness wires going to the coils were all insulated separately.

Oh, and it has this issue with both the stock and Hilton tunes, just in case that was suspect.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Okay yeah a lot of that sounds good. Have you replaced the boost pressure sensor? Another cheap one you can easily swap out, same with fuel pressure sensor and fuel filter. Those are just shot in the dark kind of things, if you can datalog in VIDA and comb through things like desired vs actual boost pressure etc you could maybe narrow it down to boost/vacuum leak vs fuel issue.
      I was told OEM wastegate is better. I had a forge one and Gustav at contrast told me it was junk and to get rid of it and go back to OEM wastegate. I still have the original one on my car and it works perfectly fine after 130k.
      Will Hilton allow you to datalog and then he looks over it to see what the issue is?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)

I've got a boost gauge, which is reading that everything is fine, aside from the boost never going higher than like 14 out of 17 psi. I assume this is just because the computer is adjusting for the issues I'm having. I'll check out the fuel filter and BPS at least, since those are pretty cheap. But yeah since it runs just fine under all conditions, vacuum or boost, and it actually only stutters at max boost like 75% of the time, I'm not sure that's the issue.

That's interesting about the wastegate... Good thing I kept my old one. I only bought the forge one because I was using a potential wastegate issue as an excuse to myself to justify upgrading it, but the old one still works in case this one fails.

As for Hilton looking it over, that's not a bad idea, at least to ask. It's definitely not the tune itself, but if I'm about to upgrade anyway, I imagine he would be willing to take a look at least.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them and report back. Either way, it should be solved soon.

Just as a follow-up, it turns out that the new MAF I bought was defective, but I wasn't willing to get a new one to test it out for how expensive they are. I was able to get a new replacement for free. Sometimes it's the simplest solutions!

Quote Originally Posted by Oolab1 View Post
      Just as a follow-up, it turns out that the new MAF I bought was defective, but I wasn't willing to get a new one to test it out for how expensive they are. I was able to get a new replacement for free. Sometimes it's the simplest solutions!
      How'd you figure out the MAF was defective? Like I said before, that's the same symptoms I had when my MAF was ruined by K&N oil so that makes sense.

I have had the no high idle situation occur, when then the engine management system has a fault. A faulty MAF, MAP, O2 sensor related codes... But good if you get your situation sorted.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD automatic - Hilton stage 2+ with torque limit removal. Some mods: 3" DP & 2.5" catback, Do88 FMIC, Pumaspeed inlet plenum, ECU spacer.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements