What's with Consumer Reports Auto Ratings
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

They consistently give Volvo mediocre reviews. Yes, Volvo is not a BMW, it is a Volvo. The S60 2020 is my first, after two BMWs, acuras, hondas, toyotas, etc. I love how solid the car feels, how quiet and refined and comfortable the ride. Despite questioning its reliability, so far I have had no issues with the Volvo after 1.5 months of driving (can't say that about our 2019 Subaru Forester for which they gave the highest marks), the radio is superb, the technology as good as anybody has. And it is a Top Safety plus pick of IIHS. What kills me is they make a big deal about how difficult the Sensus system. It took me all of a few hours to pretty much master it. If you can use a tablet or a smart phone, the Sensus is no challenge...... its like they are looking for reasons to pan the car.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

CR jumped the shark years ago. 5 years after Sensus came out, they still canít figure it out.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

The first few years of the sensus system when the XC90 came out were, well, terrible. The computer was slow and laggy and couldn't handle it. Reliability took a huge hit because of all the nagging electronics concerns.

That said, 99% of those problems are fixed in the 2019+ revisions. Ours are great!
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      The first few years of the sensus system when the XC90 came out were, well, terrible. The computer was slow and laggy and couldn't handle it. Reliability took a huge hit because of all the nagging electronics concerns.

That said, 99% of those problems are fixed in the 2019+ revisions. Ours are great!
      And for the record my MY16 XC90 T8 is wonderful and has been.

Is Sensus a bit slow; yes, but it is fully operational by the time that I am off our side street.

Does it bother me, no, not at all. It is not an XT.

Would it be nice to have 4G; yes, but there are options.

My bottom line is that Sensus is a dream except voice control. If CR reviewers can use a tablet,they could surely learn Sensus.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 03-31-2020 at 05:39 AM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and even towing

Consumer Reports has always had it out for Volvo for some reason.

Sensus on the P3s was definitely terrible by any definition, but Sensus on the SPAs is one of the best infotainment systems I have seen. The only other premium brand that has a decent one right now is BMW.
      2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD (Fusion Red Metallic) w. Advanced Package, Bowers and Wilkins, Heated Rear Seats and Steering Wheel, Polestar, Exterior Styling Kit, Sport Chassis, and 19" 5-Spoke Matte Black Alloy Wheels

2018 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 4MATIC AMG Line

Past: 2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum AWD, 2015.5 Volvo S60 T5 AWD Platinum, 2015 S60 T5 FWD Platinum

CR is all herd mentality, Hondas and Toyotas and propellers, oh my.... To OP, my '08 is just as solid as the day I bought it and my '15 seems to get more solid by the day. All anecdotal, of course, as I have a dog in the fight.

'course I'm a dinosaur 'cause all the reviews and chatter about functionality of modern cars' display terminals--to me--is way over the top, but that's just the way things are these days (here it comes...)
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

I don't believe in conspiracy theories and I think most people are well meaning. But I can't square up the press general disdain for Volvo. Best I can figure is the major players set the stage for what is "good" i.e. the A4 and 3 Series and since they drive the market, whatever flavor is different from that is going to be picked at.

Meanwhile CR loves Subaru even though every single CVT will fail.

I read CR...whenever weíre looking to buy a new refrigerator. For car info, not so much.

To the OP, it took me a little while, like a couple of days, to figure out Sensus. But Iím a semi-Luddite.

I really enjoy it in our Ď18 V90. By the time Iíve backed Ufy out of the garage and pointed it towards the street, everything is booted up and my tunes are playing.

I've read CR auto reviews for decades when researching new cars but I filter it against my personal preferences, which don't always align with theirs. For example, in the past I knew I wouldn't like a car's ride unless CR said it was too stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I've read CR auto reviews for decades when researching new cars but I filter it against my personal preferences, which don't always align with theirs. For example, in the past I knew I wouldn't like a car's ride unless CR said it was too stiff.
      Ha that's exactly the same criteria I use! If they say "it rides great balanced with good handling" that means TOO SOFT lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
      I read CR...whenever weíre looking to buy a new refrigerator. For car info, not so much.

To the OP, it took me a little while, like a couple of days, to figure out Sensus. But Iím a semi-Luddite.

I really enjoy it in our Ď18 V90. By the time Iíve backed Ufy out of the garage and pointed it towards the street, everything is booted up and my tunes are playing.
      CR's road test is useless but the reliability data are good. With that in mind, however, it's important to pay attention to the details. CR doesn't have enough data for the V60 to rate its reliability. But for example the X90 is rated very reliable. Looking into the details, it's purely because of the "in-car electronics." Engine, transmission, suspension are at the most reliable rating. So even though CR rates the XC90 as the very unreliable, really its only that one piece that is unreliable, otherwise it's a very reliable car according to their data.

The criticism of Sensus is really silly. So what if a reviewer can't figure it out after an hour or two of use? People reading reviews need to know how it is for owners, who will have much more time with the system.
      Last edited by ap17; 04-02-2020 at 09:32 PM.
      Future: 2020 V60 CC Birch Light with Advanced Package and Bowers and Wilkins (OSD summer 2020)
      Current: Subaru Outback 2015, Limited

I've never liked CR. They used to rag on Miele appliances all the time. I ignored their opins and bought the vacuum I wanted in 2003. Still use it today. With cars, I'll never forget the year they dissed on a Toyota (!) truck because they couldn't get their dumb feet to fit on the running boards. Don't get me started on their "audio" reviews Okay, I'm done :-)

CR is known to be biased on Volvo. They focus only on Toyota and Honda etc. Not trustworthy when it comes to car reviews, especially when they say sensus is bad. It might be a tad slow on 16 but on MY19 and newer it is like a breeze for sure. Dont know when they can really learn anything.

I subscribe to CR. They base some ratings off of cars they buy and cars they rent. For example, my 2017 S90 was rated after a rental. THIS IS NOT FAIR. I replied to them that the Sensus system will be learned by an owner. But they dislike it mostly because you have to take your eyes off the road to use it--which is partly true. I told them that an owner can use VOICE to do many of the same things that Sensus does. But that comment I guess was entirely lost or ignored.
      Also, us owners are polled once a year. Our input is supposed to influence their ratings. So, I tell CR exactly what is going on with my S90, which for the most part, has been great.
      2017 S90 T6 AWD Inscription w/Polestar (my 1st Volvo)/ Black Onyx/Amber; Climate; HUD; Convenience; Vision; 20" Wheels; Metallic Paint; Spoiler; Polestar; 2018 Honda Accord 1.5T Touring (replaced my lemon '16 Sonata PHEV)

CR has always sent questionnaires to its own subscribers to collect data on cars. The belief is that they are getting real customer feedback for maintenance and satisfaction. However, the ratings are a measure of frequency of service and introduce inherent bias against certain brands, especially when there are fewer of those cars sold. For example, CR asks how often your car was serviced, besides routine maintenance, and for what type of problem. If Volvo owners bring their car in for service more frequently than other brands, a higher percentage is considered negative even if the issue is minor and easily fixed. The rating would not show Volvo catching and fixing minor problems more than other brands, only that Volvo owners required more service. Similarly, if there is a problem with Sensus that gets fixed or upgraded, the rating is negative because a high percentage of owners report the same problem with electronics or navigation.

In effect, if CR knows a car owner services a car frequently, CR presumes the owner is dissatisfied compared to another owner who does not care about servicing a car as often.
      Last edited by blindkarma; 04-08-2020 at 11:41 AM.
      2008 S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus with Polestar, Rich Java.

I've found CR to be, for lack of a better term, just kind of dumb. They don't differentiate between durability and reliability. That's why, for decades, you would tend to find Toyotas at the top (which will work great up to a point and then either rust out or fall apart all at once) and million miles vehicles (going way back here...) like RWD Volvos lower on the list.

All one has to do is listen to their podcast to understand the lack of sophistication in their assessments. Maybe for the average Joe, following their advice is okay. But for an enthusiast or mechanically-inclined individual, I find their advice to be useless.

Agree with all here but add a few things. Sampling is low compared to big brands & reflect the complainers + those who think machines last forever with no attention (happy people are less likely to respond). Also need to consider the oversell at the dealer to those who err on the safe side. My '16 S60 didn't need filters, brake flush, tranny flush at 66k but they tried to get me to spend $750. One has to remember that the modern dealer makes the rent in the shop, not on the sales floor. Margins are pretty thin & most have new design buildings & loans to pay for it.
      Also think the dependability is way more important than is the infotainment is understandable in 3 minutes like Okidiver said.
      Having worked on many brands in the last 50 yrs there is good engineering under the hood. This car is more solid than the A4, 323i, Jag, Alfa, Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford & Dodges Ive seen over the years.

Not meant to knock anyone, but I suspect consumer reports reader demographic skews towards the older side who may not be as comfortable with a tablet for operating basically the entire car. As someone also said, if they only poll their customer base for a car that is not sold in large numbers, that is most likely a pretty small sample size.

We have a 2016 and a 2018. They are both booted up and running by the time we pull out of the garage and out of the driveway. If 20 seconds is life altering than you’re in too much of a rush. The only time it can be annoying is with maps, but you just give yourself an extra couple seconds.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by xSpecBx View Post
      Not meant to knock anyone, but I suspect consumer reports reader demographic skews towards the older side who may not be as comfortable with a tablet for operating basically the entire car. As someone also said, if they only poll their customer base for a car that is not sold in large numbers, that is most likely a pretty small sample size.

We have a 2016 and a 2018. They are both booted up and running by the time we pull out of the garage and out of the driveway. If 20 seconds is life altering than youíre in too much of a rush. The only time it can be annoying is with maps, but you just give yourself an extra couple seconds.
      Well I am old and I first started using electronic calculators in High School and computers in the late 80's. Smart phones when they first came out...tablets forever. I think the generation which was technologically clueless were my parents, and that generation is rapidly disappearing.... probably not buying volvos, but instead oldsmobiles or crown victorias (if they still sell them)

I have noticed about Consumer reports that when they give opinions about subjects for which I know a lot, that they are generally way off the mark. I guess it is not too much to assume the same things with automobiles. Besides, how well a car drives is very subjective to the person. And yea, we had a Honda CRV which they loved, that five years later had some significant rust problems, requiring us to dump the car.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman2222 View Post
      Well I am old and I first started using electronic calculators in High School and computers in the late 80's. Smart phones when they first came out...tablets forever. I think the generation which was technologically clueless were my parents, and that generation is rapidly disappearing.... probably not buying volvos, but instead oldsmobiles or crown victorias (if they still sell them)
      My comment was certainly a general one and there will always be outliers (Iím a millennial who is married, house, kid, paid off our student loans, etc so we donít all fit the stereotype). My parents are in their 60s. My dad has been into computers since they first came out and is very up with technology. My mom has an iPhone, iPad, etc, but I would not say she is up with technology. Iím an engineer and work with engineers much older than me (think 50+ range) with many of them still using flip phones or just getting iPhones or similar recently. My point was that, the generations of people most comfortable with technology are probably not subscribing to consumer reports.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

How can CR even rate the ride of a car since now they have different driving mode settings you can use?
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements