For those of you who have done the auto to m66 swap
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

For those of you who have done the auto to m66 swap

Will be undertaking this shortly and trying to get an idea how intensive this will be. I have a donor s60r so I have everything I'll need to put into my V70R, just trying to figure out about the wiring, the trans is already mated to a 4t5 block which will be going in the car also.

Hopefully some of the experts can chime in.

Cheers

Colton

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It wasn't too bad, can pound it out in a few days. The main thing is just all of the things to swap over. The hardest part was the pedals for sure, gotta get up behind the gauges for a bolt ontop of sitting on your head. Definetely have an engine and trans hoist to make it easier. Getting the collar off was a pain, I wish I can post the picture of how we had to do it but we bent the sway bar in trying to get it out.

I would highly recommend a new collar along with a fresh Sachs clutch and especially a SMF is you can afford the extra. I found 50/50 Amsoil SevereGear and Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil keeps the gear chatter down. Check engine mounts incase you gotta do them as well. I would get a poly torque rod mount for the trans if don't have one theyre cheap, I forgot the name its like ProParts Sweden or something makes them.

On the 8th page of my build thread I have more info on my swap, here is a link.

What year is your swapped car? I have a write up on wiring for 06+ but I can help figure out the wiring prior. It's easy, just need to run two wires and rearrange some others. I'll find the thread soon but that's mostly if you are going to retune the CEM, are you? Or are you just doing the ECM? That will involve another change but I have someone who did just the ECM and knows the extra wiring work.
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | All the mods | MY BUILD THREAD
      /// '20 V90 R-design | Bursting Blue | Advanced | 4C Air

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      It wasn't too bad, can pound it out in a few days. The main thing is just all of the things to swap over. The hardest part was the pedals for sure, gotta get up behind the gauges for a bolt ontop of sitting on your head. Definetely have an engine and trans hoist to make it easier. Getting the collar off was a pain, I wish I can post the picture of how we had to do it but we bent the sway bar in trying to get it out.

I would highly recommend a new collar along with a fresh Sachs clutch and especially a SMF is you can afford the extra. I found 50/50 Amsoil SevereGear and Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil keeps the gear chatter down. Check engine mounts incase you gotta do them as well. I would get a poly torque rod mount for the trans if don't have one theyre cheap, I forgot the name its like ProParts Sweden or something makes them.

On the 8th page of my build thread I have more info on my swap, here is a link.

What year is your swapped car? I have a write up on wiring for 06+ but I can help figure out the wiring prior. It's easy, just need to run two wires and rearrange some others. I'll find the thread soon but that's mostly if you are going to retune the CEM, are you? Or are you just doing the ECM? That will involve another change but I have someone who did just the ECM and knows the extra wiring work.
      Shooting to pull the entire trans and engine out of the donor car and put it into my V70R.
      I'll have to ask the guy with the donor car what year it is, I want to say an 06 but I'm not 100%
      I'd like to keep my ecm since I'm already tuned on it but if need be I can swap it.
      I'm hoping having both of them mounted together will make life easier vs having to attach the new trans to the current engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnslo View Post
      Shooting to pull the entire trans and engine out of the donor car and put it into my V70R.
      I'll have to ask the guy with the donor car what year it is, I want to say an 06 but I'm not 100%
      I'd like to keep my ecm since I'm already tuned on it but if need be I can swap it.
      I'm hoping having both of them mounted together will make life easier vs having to attach the new trans to the current engine.

I meant what year is the car that the manual transmission going into? There will have to be some ECU work by a tuner to make it run right but without full CEM tuning it won't ever be perfect, ECUs cant be readily swapped on these cars. You can get away without tuning the CEM, that involves leaving the TCM module in there in the 'N' position (have to double check that) so that the car will run right. Full CEM tuning makes the car act like a factory manual and will get rid of the gear selection on the dash.

With the wiring, it involves running a 2 wires to the clutch position sensor where one of the wires gets added as a pin on the ECU plug. Then for the CEM, some wires need to be messed with to get the reverse lockout working, so that you can have reverse gear. I have specifics in that thread somewhere but it only applies to 06+, the differences will have to be referenced in the specific year wiring diagram.
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | All the mods | MY BUILD THREAD

I meant what year is the car that the manual transmission going into? There will have to be some ECU work by a tuner to make it run right but without full CEM tuning it won't ever be perfect, ECUs cant be readily swapped on these cars. You can get away without tuning the CEM, that involves leaving the TCM module in there in the 'N' position (have to double check that) so that the car will run right. Full CEM tuning makes the car act like a factory manual and will get rid of the gear selection on the dash.

With the wiring, it involves running a 2 wires to the clutch position sensor where one of the wires gets added as a pin on the ECU plug. Then for the CEM, some wires need to be messed with to get the reverse lockout working, so that you can have reverse gear. I have specifics in that thread somewhere but it only applies to 06+, the differences will have to be referenced in the specific year wiring diagram.
      Thankfully my V70R is an 06 then

Or if you want to avoid all the futzing with wires and whatnot, do what @Chilled Man does and swap over trans, clutch master, pedals and shifter and have someone flash the CEM with VDASH to make the car think it's a manual. All factory, no fuss. (I may be oversimplifying due to not personally having done this - Ben @ Rolling Motors is a better resource)

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Quote Originally Posted by tabormeister View Post
      Or if you want to avoid all the futzing with wires and whatnot, do what @Chilled Man does and swap over trans, clutch master, pedals and shifter and have someone flash the CEM with VDASH to make the car think it's a manual. All factory, no fuss. (I may be oversimplifying due to not personally having done this - Ben @ Rolling Motors is a better resource)

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black
      This is more of what I was thinking of doing I figured since I'm not mating the trans to my current engine I'm literally swapping everything. I have vida also I just need someone to explain the manual aspect of it for the CEM

Do you know if he is here on the boards?

Do you know if he is here on the boards?

Ben? Not sure, but I've called him before. Cool dude. @Chilled Man is though, and I think he's done more P2 manual swaps than anybody else. If I'm not mistaken he did the first one back in 2009!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Ben? Not sure, but I've called him before. Cool dude. @Chilled Man is though, and I think he's done more P2 manual swaps than anybody else. If I'm not mistaken he did the first one back in 2009!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
      Hopefully that tags him haha

This is more of what I was thinking of doing I figured since I'm not mating the trans to my current engine I'm literally swapping everything. I have vida also I just need someone to explain the manual aspect of it for the CEM

You still have to run wires, it's not very hard just have to be careful. The ECU needs to have a clutch position sensor input and the CEM needs to be retuned with a vida subscription, a normal VIDA can't do it. I know a source than can convert the CEM for $600 some. I'm not 100% sure what else is involved in retuning the CEM, if he changes parameters in the ECU file too.

If you don't want to retune the CEM and leave the CEM in automatic, I have a source that has done that too, I can get ahold of, he said it works but had to fashion something to make the reverse lockout work but he had issues shifting at high RPM, citing that it hangs the revs real bad which can result in damage if not careful. You'll also lose cruise control if that matters.

I finally found the link to the wiring setup thread, this is for retuning the CEM

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Wiring-How-To
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 04-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.

or you can do this

1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 139k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

You still have to run wires, it's not very hard just have to be careful. The ECU needs to have a clutch position sensor input and the CEM needs to be retuned with a vida subscription, a normal VIDA can't do it. I know a source than can convert the CEM for $600 some. I'm not 100% sure what else is involved in retuning the CEM, if he changes parameters in the ECU file too.

If you don't want to retune the CEM and leave the CEM in automatic, I have a source that has done that too, I can get ahold of, he said it works but had to fashion something to make the reverse lockout work but he had issues shifting at high RPM, citing that it hangs the revs real bad which can result in damage if not careful. You'll also lose cruise control if that matters.

I finally found the link to the wiring setup thread, this is for retuning the CEM

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Wiring-How-To
      Would you mind sharing your source who can do this tuning? Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      or you can do this

Is that a bomb?! 😄

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      or you can do this
      what in tha

i would pay the tuna not to have that under my hood.
      1997 Avalon
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone

^ Ha, that was me.

I did a full M66 swap last year. My wagon is an 06 and the donor car I had was an 04. The swap was pretty straight forward, just ran into the usual problems of getting the wrong clutch and having to rebuild the axles. The wiring was the hardest part as that's my weakest skill, but like it has been mentioned up top it's just a few wires that go to the ecu and I believe the pin outs to where the wires go are posted above.

What you see above was to pass state emissions here in Mass. I had Ben at Rolling Motors flash the ECU so I could drive it, but I still needed the CEM reprogrammed and was running the TCU so I could drive the car until I made the trip down to Ben. The issue with just running the TCU is that the computer is still looking for all the solenoids for the auto and will illuminate the yellow triangle on the dash, and Mass will fail you for that.

So I gave the TCU what it was looking for. I put al the solenoids in mason jars and filled them with ATF and it worked, no more light as the car though everything was fine and dandy. It got me threw state emissions.

It's gone now, just on my shelf at home. The car is fully tuned and running great. Best mod I have ever done to her.

I would highly recommend getting the CEM programmed. One of the functions this does is that it takes the information from the clutch switch and adjusts the engines power relative to the clutches position. So when your pushing in the clutch the engine reduces power so changing gears is smoother. Without this (as in your just driving around with the ECU programed to a manual tune but the CEM is not programed) shifting is really hard to do smoothly, really really hard. Jerky is the best way to describe it.
      Last edited by MnOpRacInG; 05-30-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Here was the first illiteration:
      20190814-091617

20190814-091609

I went to the mason jars for flair as it was seen at Swede Day (car show in Boston).

20190818-184923

20190818-184916

20190818-185524

The pressure gauge was a bit much, but it needed something and I just happen to have that gauge laying around.

My best advice, DO NOT get rid of the donor car until the swap is 100%. I thought I had gotten everything I needed before scrapping the shell before doing the swap, but there were some small items that I needed to get after the fact as they were trashed along with the shell. Nothing major, mostly clips, plugs, some wiring and reference stuff.

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements