Potential problem with sunroof
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BIG problem with sunroof

This was brought to my attention by a friend today when we were in the garage
      Maybe it's ok, but it looks weird to me, the middle part of the panel is 1-2mm protruding, unlike the front and back
      I tried two times to open and close sunroof but did not help

Of course the Volvo service has been closed until further notice due to the coronavirus

Last edited by BigBang; 06-02-2020 at 04:36 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As per your request I've reviewed your photos provided.
      However I don't see any problem with it.
      Kind regards,
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      As per your request I've reviewed your photos provided.
      However I don't see any problem with it.
      Kind regards,
      Only a blind man can not see the difference between the front, middle and rear on glass panels
      I'll try to help you, but if you don't see the problem again, I can't help you

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Well.....to be fair, Stocis didn't say he didn't see what you're concerned about, just that he didn't see a problem with it
      Ok, then; it looks as if the sunroof glass has an excessive curvature that doesn't match the roof. The question would be if it is " normal". If all 2018 XC60 T5 R-Design cars that you can find to look at are the same, then there is no point in pursuing the issue. If others are a better fit, especially others that can be found in the dealer's used car inventory, you could pursue it.
      Bear in mind that sunroofs don't actually seal, they just allow a limited amount of leakage that's drained through gutters and tubes. Excessive space in the fit could result in the system being overwhelmed.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

I checked my 2019 and the sunroof glass is perfectly flush around the entire perimeter.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      Well.....to be fair, Stocis didn't say he didn't see what you're concerned about, just that he didn't see a problem with it
      Ok, then; it looks as if the sunroof glass has an excessive curvature that doesn't match the roof. The question would be if it is " normal". If all 2018 XC60 T5 R-Design cars that you can find to look at are the same, then there is no point in pursuing the issue. If others are a better fit, especially others that can be found in the dealer's used car inventory, you could pursue it.
      Bear in mind that sunroofs don't actually seal, they just allow a limited amount of leakage that's drained through gutters and tubes. Excessive space in the fit could result in the system being overwhelmed.
      Will you please explain to me what is the difference in the sunroof between R Design, Momentum, Inscription ????

What's the difference in sunroof between T5, T6, T8, D4, D5 ?????

Ah, for the end, I checked the two Inscription and their sunroof closes perfectly without any difference throughout the surface

FYI:
      Part Number: 31395507 roof hatch.glass. front.

FITS:
      Volvo V90 2.0l 4 cylinder Turbo 2017, 2018, 2019
      Volvo V90 Cross Country 2.0l 4 cylinder Turbo 2017, 2018, 2019
      Volvo XC60 2.0l 4 cylinder Turbo 2018, 2019
      Volvo XC90 2.0l 4 cylinder Turbo 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
      Last edited by BigBang; 04-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
      I checked my 2019 and the sunroof glass is perfectly flush around the entire perimeter.
      Thanks for the info, this is normal with at least the other models I've seen
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I agree that it's likely there is a problem with the alignment of the sunroof. What I disagree with is the notion that it can be repaired. If anyone attempts to remedy this, it's likely to make things worse.

I think if the car leaks in the rain you can see if they can re-seal things... but from what I would expect, the moment someone tries to remove the sunroof to work on it - you're screwed. I actually recommend to people to avoid sunroofs if they can. They tend to make the headliner thicker and the manufacturing tolerances just aren't there to make sure they're leakproof over time.

I remember they used to take a random sample of cars off the line and from the field to test the sunroofs. This would involve use fans to create a negative pressure in the car, and then they'd just park it under a literal waterfall of water. The design spec was at a certain vacuum level, there would be no leaks. But I remember in all the tests I ever saw, they always leaked. The guy doing the tests always had a full poncho on, and he'd usually come out cussing a storm and drenched.
      Last edited by Holeydonut; 04-11-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      you're wasting your time with this one bud.
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

you're wasting your time with this one bud.
      Did you get the glasses, did the new explanation help you understand? Unfortunately I don't think so
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

You’re seeing it wrong

UPDATE

I was at Volvo service today, the technician and his supervisor have been trying for more than 30 minutes to figure out why the front panel is not closing properly.
      In the end, they gave up, they take 10 picture , and recorded the video, sending it to Sweden, ask for explanation for this problem

PS: I hope the "stocis" has an explanation for me and Volvo technicians
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

You failed to mention that the panel was not closing.
      Hope you understand that I cannot smell my nails.
      Weren’t you supposed to sell the car and move out to your precious Audi since March?

Audi and VW sunroofs usually have adjustment screws to allow owners to adjust the fit and finish. Bigbang needs to upgrade ASAP.

You failed to mention that the panel was not closing.
      Hope you understand that I cannot smell my nails.
      Weren’t you supposed to sell the car and move out to your precious Audi since March?
      If you didn't understand from the posted pictures, I can't help you

I have been selling Volvo for over a month but no one will buy it this sh..... car
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      Audi and VW sunroofs usually have adjustment screws to allow owners to adjust the fit and finish. Bigbang needs to upgrade ASAP.
      I have an Audi Q5 and I do not have these problems . I have so many problems with the Volvo, that it's incredible and the car only has 7k miles

I'll be the luckiest man in the world when I sell this car to someone - (car- problem)
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

The problem exists between the steering wheel and the seat

I want to see the online listing for Bigbang's car..... it probably reads something like:

"Piece of **** Volvo smells of Elderberries and is powered by hamsters. I hate this car. If you buy you'll probably die in a fiery crash. €75,000 OBO."

Not all people are the same, if you have a problem, seek help but not in a forum but in an institution for health
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I want to see the online listing for Bigbang's car..... it probably reads something like:

"Piece of **** Volvo smells of Elderberries and is powered by hamsters. I hate this car. If you buy you'll probably die in a fiery crash. €75,000 OBO."
      For your information I am selling a car for $ 30.000 but need pay 28% duty and taxes because the vehicle was purchased through a diplomatic program (duty free and tax free). Diplomats or international agency employees can buy it without paying a fee. The car has only 12,300km

Of course this is a great car but it has some small disadvantages

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ced-perfomance

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...nother-problem

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...after-one-year

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...er-falling-off

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ht=white+spots

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...rt-design-flaw

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...lem-child-seat

These are just some of the drawbacks
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-05-2020 at 10:33 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

When he sells his car Volvo and SwedeSpeed forums are going to have a massive party. Hopefully the new owner will end up here and we’ll chip in helping him too.
      Just wondering if bigbang will keep his account after he sells his car. I really hope not. Would be weird trash talking about a car you dont own right?

When he sells his car Volvo and SwedeSpeed forums are going to have a massive party. Hopefully the new owner will end up here and we’ll chip in helping him too.
      I promise to close my account if you deposit $ 100 into the SwedeSpeed forums account for that massive party

I am waiting for your payment slip
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

lol. I’d rather give them to the new owner for disinfectant from your bs
      Anyway. Jokes aside, hope you sell the R quick.

NEW INFORMATION , BAD NEWS

Today I had a meeting with the general manager of Volvo service, about the problem with sunroof on my car

He showed me an email where Volvo Sweden informs them that they do not know the cause of my problem and that they have only had 6 cases with the same problem so far.
      In the same email they informed them to invite me for an interview and to offer me a replacement for the sunroof BUT THAT I have to pay the replacement costs.
      I received information from the service manager that it would be around 650-750 EUR, when I asked why it was so expensive, he answered that they need 2 days to replace the sunroof. I asked him if this was hidden camera just for laughs

If I agree to that, I have to sign a statement that I pay the replacement costs and that I will have to wait up to 2 months for the delivery of the sunroof because it will be sent by boat with the next delivery of the car, because it weighs about 100 kg and is too expensive to send by air.
      Volvo believes that the sunroof has opening and closing functionality, there is no problem for them.
      Yet they generously offered to replace the sunroof, but I must pay the replacement cost ONLY 650-750 EUR . If it wasn't sad it would be funny

I think it was just my XC60 problematic, however, in fact the whole of Volvo is a Chinese junk
      This is definitely the worst car in my life and the companies with which I had a deal with
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      NEW INFORMATION , BAD NEWS

Today I had a meeting with the general manager of Volvo service, about the problem with sunroof on my car

He showed me an email where Volvo Sweden informs them that they do not know the cause of my problem and that they have only had 6 cases with the same problem so far.
      In the same email they informed them to invite me for an interview and to offer me a replacement for the sunroof BUT THAT I have to pay the replacement costs.
      I received information from the service manager that it would be around 650-750 EUR, when I asked why it was so expensive, he answered that they need 2 days to replace the sunroof. I asked him if this was hidden camera just for laughs

If I agree to that, I have to sign a statement that I pay the replacement costs and that I will have to wait up to 2 months for the delivery of the sunroof because it will be sent by boat with the next delivery of the car, because it weighs about 100 kg and is too expensive to send by air.
      Volvo believes that the sunroof has opening and closing functionality, there is no problem for them.
      Yet they generously offered to replace the sunroof, but I must pay the replacement cost ONLY 650-750 EUR . If it wasn't sad it would be funny

I think it was just my XC60 problematic, however, in fact the whole of Volvo is a Chinese junk
      This is definitely the worst car in my life and the companies with which I had a deal with
      Yet another reason I see Volvo Corporate as garbage.

Great car, horrible support.

This should be restorative replacement, meaning it should be fixed as if nothing happened to you because... it isn't your fault it is this way.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

This time I must agree - they should have done it for free. Especially considering that probably your warranty has expired just few weeks ago...
      2019 XC60 D5 Inscription | Pine Grey | black interior

Quote Originally Posted by cezarpl View Post
      This time I must agree - they should have done it for free. Especially considering that probably your warranty has expired just few weeks ago...
      I reported the problem while the warranty was still valid
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I reported the problem while the warranty was still valid
      If your behavior on this forum is any indication of how you behave elsewhere, then I am not surprised Volvo doesn't want to go out of their way from you. Some call it Karma. Some just say you reap what you sow.

What do you care, anyway? You continue to say you can't wait to get rid of your Volvo... So just sell the darn thing and move on, already.

Yeah, I think the next time you buy a car, you should bring someone with a caliper, micrometer, and some really bright handheld lights so you can pour over the car and assess these things. If you take photos of everything, then you can rely on those day-0 photos as a comparison to future discovered irregularities once you start driving the car. Without documentation, you shouldn't expect much help on stuff that doesn't impact the mechanical performance of the vehicle.

Once the car leaves the lot, the owner basically assumes liability for anything that is "wrong" for fit and finish since the automaker can no longer tell what the new owner did versus what was there after manufacturing.

For example, if your door is crooked, you need to document that when you take delivery. You need to show how the door gap is 1 mm off compared to a door on another vehicle. Otherwise the manufacturer/dealer are going to think you flung the door open too hard or hung off of it to bend it a bit.

Similarly, you'll need to have a "before" picture of your sunroof and find the crookedness immediately. If your original day 0 photos shows everything is flush, then you can go back to them with your 10,000 km vehicle and say you're now experiencing water leakage and the sunroof became crooked during normal use.

On my car, I noted that my passenger side front door chrome DLO strips around my windows was 1 mm misaligned. It's obvious to me, but the sales guy was like "the **** is wrong with this idiot?" This causes a noticeable gap variance compared to the driver side and when compared to other vehicles. But, my sales guy said "There's no way Volvo is going to let us fix this under warranty". I agree, it's probably within "spec", but at least I got it documented that the issue existed day one and that the dealer did not offer to fix it. If this DLO ends up peeling back or something, I would at least have proof of a known issue with it day zero. If I never brought this up and then went back to the dealer now to ask for a fix with 3,000 miles on it on the odometer, they'll tell me to get bent.

I did ask them to fix the crooked rocker panel trim though... it's pretty obvious how badly that was mis-aligned day zero, and the dealer agreed (one of the plastic clips was broken).

I don't mean to "victim blame" your situation... I'm just telling you that it's unreasonable to expect an automaker to step up and deal with fit/finish items after you've driven the car. If you really care about this stuff, you'll need to be proactive to get the service level that you seek.

TL;DR... fit and finish issues are almost impossible to remedy on a car after you drive it off the lot. If you're really hard up on gap alignment and seamless finish, you need to scour your car before you drive it off the lot and take a ton of photos.
      Last edited by Holeydonut; 06-02-2020 at 06:24 PM.

If it’s a defect and they acknowledge it, and the car is under warranty, then why would they expect you to pay anything? The 650-750 euro quote actually seems low for a total sunroof replacement, so something doesn’t seem quite right.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD Inscription with Advanced and Luxury package in Denim Blue with Blond interior

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      If it’s a defect and they acknowledge it, and the car is under warranty, then why would they expect you to pay anything? The 650-750 euro quote actually seems low for a total sunroof replacement, so something doesn’t seem quite right.
      This is a discounted price, it must be clear to you that the price of 1 hour of work is not the same everywhere
      Here is just an example in the EU, the price ranges from 30 EUR up to 100 EUR per 1 hour
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

This is a discounted price, it must be clear to you that the price of 1 hour of work is not the same everywhere
      Here is just an example in the EU, the price ranges from 30 EUR up to 100 EUR per 1 hour
      You shouldn't be on the hook to pay for a service person's time for "warranty". Tell them off.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Yeah, I think the next time you buy a car, you should bring someone with a caliper, micrometer, and some really bright handheld lights so you can pour over the car and assess these things. If you take photos of everything, then you can rely on those day-0 photos as a comparison to future discovered irregularities once you start driving the car. Without documentation, you shouldn't expect much help on stuff that doesn't impact the mechanical performance of the vehicle.

Once the car leaves the lot, the owner basically assumes liability for anything that is "wrong" for fit and finish since the automaker can no longer tell what the new owner did versus what was there after manufacturing.

For example, if your door is crooked, you need to document that when you take delivery. You need to show how the door gap is 1 mm off compared to a door on another vehicle. Otherwise the manufacturer/dealer are going to think you flung the door open too hard or hung off of it to bend it a bit.

Similarly, you'll need to have a "before" picture of your sunroof and find the crookedness immediately. If your original day 0 photos shows everything is flush, then you can go back to them with your 10,000 km vehicle and say you're now experiencing water leakage and the sunroof became crooked during normal use.

On my car, I noted that my passenger side front door chrome DLO strips around my windows was 1 mm misaligned. It's obvious to me, but the sales guy was like "the **** is wrong with this idiot?" This causes a noticeable gap variance compared to the driver side and when compared to other vehicles. But, my sales guy said "There's no way Volvo is going to let us fix this under warranty". I agree, it's probably within "spec", but at least I got it documented that the issue existed day one and that the dealer did not offer to fix it. If this DLO ends up peeling back or something, I would at least have proof of a known issue with it day zero. If I never brought this up and then went back to the dealer now to ask for a fix with 3,000 miles on it on the odometer, they'll tell me to get bent.

I did ask them to fix the crooked rocker panel trim though... it's pretty obvious how badly that was mis-aligned day zero, and the dealer agreed (one of the plastic clips was broken).

I don't mean to "victim blame" your situation... I'm just telling you that it's unreasonable to expect an automaker to step up and deal with fit/finish items after you've driven the car. If you really care about this stuff, you'll need to be proactive to get the service level that you seek.

TL;DR... fit and finish issues are almost impossible to remedy on a car after you drive it off the lot. If you're really hard up on gap alignment and seamless finish, you need to scour your car before you drive it off the lot and take a ton of photos.
      "TL;DR, I'm a pedantic SOB that thinks I'm shmart.."

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      You shouldn't be on the hook to pay for a service person's time for "warranty". Tell them off.
      It's not as simple as you think
      Volvo Sweden approves all repairs within the warranty period.

The local dealer is extremely kind and they have a professional relationship but there is nothing they can do

Perhaps you have not read carefully: Volvo Sweden asked to sign a statement that I will pay the cost of replacement, after my signature on statement they will send a replacement sunroof
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I don't want to read or reply to posts from a person who insulted my mother and wrote offensive messages that were deleted by the administrator
      To the person who sent the same offensive messages sent to my private messages. My mother has been dead for 20 years and begs you to have respect for that

A person who has reported me to the administrator several times for forum posts but without any effect

Please the person concerned not to read my posts and to simply bypass my name on the forum

THANKS
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast