S40 AWD T5 TCV and BPV replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Junior Member edgar.a.montoya@gmail.com's Avatar
      In the process of upgrading/replacing the Turbo Control Valve and Turbo Bypass Valve on my 2008 S40 AWD T5. I knew it would be a bit of work, but it is a lot of work for something so simple. I have not found any write ups or -how to- on this, but it requires removing the passenger side CV Axle support bracket in order to access one of the bolts on the bypass valve. Plus it is quite difficult to reach the connector on the exhaust of the turbo that the TCV hooks up to. It really requires some patience.

Anyone ended up doing the same thing and removing the CV Axle support bracket?
      Last edited by [email protected]; 04-05-2020 at 12:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Same process as a focus ST, no need to remove the support arm just the fender liner
      [url]https://youtu.be/AExA1OIigjk
      Last edited by jondevieonS40; 04-05-2020 at 12:07 PM.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Text is all messed up
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

60780546639__c2141701-e721-43f6-b1b0-9dffe70c5772.jpg

Yeah you can get away with not removing the axle if you decide to splice in longer vacuum lines to the TCV when relocating it. I chose not to do this since the lines are rubber and why not replace them, so I pulled the axle out as well. My hands are fat and I didn't want to tinker with cramped areas. With the axle out I found accessing the TCV lines was not too difficult.

Did you replace the vacuum lines with all new ones?
      2005 S40 M66, stock
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - Sold
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

TCV was easier to do from up top with the intake out, you also want to mount it on the ac lines instead of the firewall as it will rattle in the cab under boost. Just use new lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up removing the axle and replaced all the lines. I did relocate the TCV to the firewall but added some packing foam behind it and windshield wiper fluid line on the bolt. I enlarged the hold on the TCV plate so that it slid on the WWF line so when I tighten the nut, the TCV was not sitting on the bolt directly and there was no metal on metal contact. I didn’t have any 4mm line for the 3 lines that connected to the TCV, I ended up using fuel line rated for 50psi that was slightly bigger, about 5mm. It was more work than expected but I got it done today.

So now that I have it all together, when I went for the test drive I forgot about the initial driving guidelines and the “learning” the ECM has to do. I guess I’ll disconnect the battery and redo it again. Also, I ran into another issues with the car surging when it goes into boost. When I tried adjusting the wastegate I found that i cannot remove the rod from the wastegate valve. I ended up unscrewing the entire rod and the wastegate finally settled to where it was completely closed. When I started to screw the actuator rod back in I had to begin opening the wastegate in order to get some threads going. So as of right now the wastegate is partially open, a lot less than before, so the car still surges a bit when I step on it. It feels a lot lighter and like it has more power, but it is still surging.

I also started to hear a low sputter, like if something is leaking or a diaphragm is flapping. When I pulled the car in I opened the oil cap and it feels like the cap gets pulled in. Also when I pulled the dipstick I heard some pressure release. I’m guessing it’s the PCV, which I have a new diaphragm I never installed. I’ll be doing that tomorrow.

So my questions:
      -do I need a new wastegate control valve?
      -Can the ECM relearn that it has a new TCV via hard reset?
      -Will bigger lines, 5mm instead of 4mm, cause issues with TCV control of the wastegate?
      -I also found oil on the outlet of the turbo all the way into the intake manifold and in the bypass valve, would a bad PCV cause this?

The stock wastegate is best left alone according here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...stegate+tuning, the wastegate is controled by the ECU and pressure from the TCV, the sputter may have just been from the car not supplying enough fuel for the new air ratio, best thing to do is leave the battery unplugged then restart but drive normal, try not to goose it right away.

In my experience the ECM relearns in real time, so it will eventually adapt to the new equipment, but restarting the car helps start the process.
      The bigger lines might not be great either, just one more variable to consider.
      The waste gate actuator is not necessary unless you know for sure yours is bad.
      and i doubt thats oil from the PCV as it usually has a whistling noise coming from up front.
      Last edited by jondevieonS40; 04-06-2020 at 09:44 PM.

I would get a new wastegate control valve if yours is partially open just to get it threaded a bit - this is as far as I an tell not normal and indicates your spring is not pushing as far up as it should be. Heat Cycles + Time = Tension killer.

I noticed after my kid was driving mine for about two or three weeks, I got in it and floored it leaving the neighbourhood and it stalled, bucked, then took off like a bolt of lightning. After that it was ready to be much more aggressive on the throttle. It had learned her kinder and gentler style of driving. I would do a full reset on the battery and let it relearn from factory default.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 04-10-2020 at 01:30 AM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

I am glad I read this because I was thinking about replacing my stock TCV with the heavy duty one on IPD. It sounds like a bad idea ...

Quote Originally Posted by Austinrussell View Post
      I am glad I read this because I was thinking about replacing my stock TCV with the heavy duty one on IPD. It sounds like a bad idea ...
      It's not, I and many others with stock tunes have one. Just don't be a dummy. Metal lever on metal body = vibration and noise. I put mine near the AC lines like many others with no ill effects. There's no excess noise and no poor performance. I personally replace items with the intention of never having to touch them again. Others on here plan on the maintenance cycle to hit them again. Up to you. But if you intend to tune, nothing beats the stock Pierburg or the stock Pierburg HD unit as tuners seem to have trouble with the IPD/Elevate HD TCV's. If you're like me and you don't want to touch it again after you do the job, you can't beat the IPD/Elevate HD TCV's if you never plan to tune.

To give you an idea though, I have very bad luck - mine went bad on the way to the hospital when my wife had to be induced. When you're rushing somewhere to get there before **** hits the fan and your stuff goes bad, is part of the reason for my philosophy.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 04-10-2020 at 01:32 AM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements