2007 V70R Disappearing Re-appearing Coolant, Misfire 1 & Sleeve Anxiety - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post

20% of them crack... I have 2 cracked blocks from Rs (one mine, one bought for parts) sitting in my garage...

Get a combustion leak tester...
      Tested positive. $5K later, and I’m a proud owner of a V70R-T5. But I was never sure, until today: tore the head off and Cyl1 has a crack. Anyone in the market for an R head, pistons and crank?

$5K = 89k donor T5 ($1200), shipping ($300), parts: belt kit, water pump, seals, thermostat, accessory belt kit, gaskets galore, fluids, tons of transmission fluids, diff fluid, Haladex fluid, etc. (~1K), service: pull the old, pull parts from old to install on new, tranny flushes galore, install ($2500). Grin on my face at 120mph (priceless)!

Pics to follow, on my cell—and the forum is not cooperating 😇
      Last edited by lav70r; 08-23-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Context added

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Only cylinder 1 seems to have been impacted.....

Let this be a lesson to others: you're not a snowflake. Listed to what the forum members tell you, they know infinitely more than your local dealer. If you see a low coolant light appear and then disappear, and your cooling system then takes a dump, don;t rule out a cracked block... this created SO much pressure on my cooling system that it eventually let go. $900 later, I had the same issue with the light appearing and then disappearing. My local dealer was super generous and spent tons of company time replacing the water pump, twice. And testing the car for days to try and find the culprit. Thanks SwedeSpeed!

IMG-3537 IMG-3538 IMG-3539 IMG-3540 IMG-3541 IMG-3544

TINIEST of cracks, biggest headache ever!

P.S. As I was pulling in to an indy to do the swap, my floor was wet. He said: "I think you have an AC drain that is plugged--gonna need to pull the carpet." This was my first interaction with the indy, and so I wrote it off as him perhaps trying to upsell me. I passed thinking it was just a tiny dampness atop of my rubber mats. "It will corrode a module, and the smell will never go away" he said, I still felt confident and passed. When I picked up the car two weeks later, I lifted the edge of the carpet just to make sure, and sure enough, still wet--make that SUPER wet. So rather than enjoy the new motor, I set out by removing the carpet and clearing the blockage.

Two days later, I finally get to put the car through it's paced. I stopped at an appointment and noticed that I was leaking fluid... from my rear bumper, and it wasn't water. Panicked, I call the indy again (he flushed my diff and haldex), telling him the rear bumper was leaking oil.... he said: "dude, check the trunk." Sure enough, I had brought him everything I thought he would need for the swap, including a gallon of brake fluid. Raced back home, and tore out the entire trunk, washed it with tons of water and then proceeded to cover it all with diatomaceous earth to suck out every last bit of fluid. That made an even bigger mess. Today I managed to clean the subsequent mess(es), and can now laugh about it all
      Last edited by lav70r; 08-23-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Glad to see it all worked out man!

I've been dealing with the same issue for the past week . My coolant tank has been going empty then coolant comes back overnight. Im shimmed too, so not sure if I cracked the block or if I had got gasket separation or lifted the head somehow. Gonna do all the tests I know before I proceed with pulling the head off. Hopefully the block is intact and I didn't drop a shim as I made sure each one of them was .033-.035 when I installed them and had to force some of them in there.

Stage 3 Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD #TeamTF80, 12.6 1/4 @114mph. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kale_Salad_rz https://www.instagram.com/kale_salad_rz/
      Quote Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      It is flaccid in nature, and makes me uncomfortable to talk about.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by khalil_y View Post
      Glad to see it all worked out man!

I've been dealing with the same issue for the past week . My coolant tank has been going empty then coolant comes back overnight. Im shimmed too, so not sure if I cracked the block or if I had got gasket separation or lifted the head somehow. Gonna do all the tests I know before I proceed with pulling the head off. Hopefully the block is intact and I didn't drop a shim as I made sure each one of them was .033-.035 when I installed them and had to force some of them in there.

Thank you! I've had great mechanics in LA, Seattle, and now hands down the best I've every worked with--knows our cars like the back of his hand, and he's local to you and I. R & T motors in Hagerty... it's a drive from A2, but Thomas is incredibly knowledgeable, and incredulously modest.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/r-and-t-mot...merce-township

Shop floor clean enough to eat off of, sends pictures of the car whilst doing the work, and personally continues to follow up to make sure I'm happy. I'm not, I'm thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by lav70r View Post
      Thank you! I've had great mechanics in LA, Seattle, and now hands down the best I've every worked with--knows our cars like the back of his hand, and he's local to you and I. R & T motors in Hagerty... it's a drive from A2, but Thomas is incredibly knowledgeable, and incredulously modest.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/r-and-t-mot...merce-township

Shop floor clean enough to eat off of, sends pictures of the car whilst doing the work, and personally continues to follow up to make sure I'm happy. I'm not, I'm thrilled!
      Oh I know that guy! Isnt he the one with the white painted R swapped S60?
      Stage 3 Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD #TeamTF80, 12.6 1/4 @114mph. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kale_Salad_rz https://www.instagram.com/kale_salad_rz/
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Does a block tester work with ethanol? Im getting a negative result, but I dont believe it.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Welp, here it is guys. 100% lifted the head. Going to start planning my next move once I take the head off and inspect everything. Hopefully the block and head arent trashed.

Ugh. Story of my life.

Welp, here it is guys. 100% lifted the head. Going to start planning my next move once I take the head off and inspect everything. Hopefully the block and head arent trashed.

Anxious to see the condition of the shims. Suspect the head will require significant surfacing to attain flatness.

Anxious to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

TTY bolts, or studs?

Curious as I will be doing the head on my T5 swap next spring.

Edit. nvm, found it.
      Last edited by Rodtheviking; 08-28-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodtheviking View Post
      TTY bolts, or studs?

Curious as I will be doing the head on my T5 swap next spring.
      Stock new OEM bolts.

Well after some research yesterday it looks like the ARP head studs are cracking blocks and heads on these engines lately. I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes upgraded studs for these engines so we're probably sh*t out of luck unless you can find someone that can custom make you a set.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Wonderful.

Stock head gasket too?

Stock new OEM bolts.

Well after some research yesterday it looks like the ARP head studs are cracking blocks and heads on these engines lately. I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes upgraded studs for these engines so we're probably sh*t out of luck unless you can find someone that can custom make you a set.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk
      Really? I haven’t hear or experienced this. Can you point me to some examples? Need to ensure they are installed correctly to verify proper torque.

06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

I think I know what you’re talking about now.... people were over torquing ARP’a to 105 ft/lbs instead of 90ft/lbs resulting in water jacket failure. Torque a stock head bolt to 105 and it will fail.

Oh I know that guy! Isnt he the one with the white painted R swapped S60?
      Not sure what he drives, but a blue s60r arrived when I picked mine up, same issue. I sent pics Oh the block to the service tech at the dealer and suggested this happens to high mileage stock cars, he told me they just serviced a v70r with 302k... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Question: o took the motor home and apart to find the root cause of my problems (cylinder wall). Is anything from the R motor worth selling? Crank looks perfect, as does the head, pistons are great too (compression test came back solid pre tear down).

Quote Originally Posted by Austin V70R View Post
      I think I know what you’re talking about now.... people were over torquing ARP’a to 105 ft/lbs instead of 90ft/lbs resulting in water jacket failure. Torque a stock head bolt to 105 and it will fail.

The concern I have heard is not necessarily the torque value used, but rather that the ARP head studs, once tightened, do not enter into the plastic range of deformation and thus don’t flex in the same manner as the OEM do. Thus causes the water jacket to crack. Sharper minds than mine postulated this theory, and it seems a strong argument for using OEM hardware.

On my current motor build (Darton sleeved block) my builder Aaron (VAST) opted to use VW tdi head studs. They’re a smidge long so they need to be trimmed down, but they’re also a burlier grade bolt than OEM Volvo hardware. These are the same fasteners Matt (Simply Volvo) used on his high hp awd-swapped T5R build. I’ll ping Aaron and see if he can provide the part number. For those who follow Matt’s build on YouTube he details these in one of his videos, including part numbers. In my case these were easier to obtain than OEM Volvo studs, which seem to be backordered right now, or at least they were when my motor was being built.
      1998 V70R, M58 AWD manual, Darton sleeved Wiseco 10:1 2.58l, Enem Y21 cams, gen 2 Garrett GTX3071R .82ar (IWG), VAST custom tubular exhaust manifold and downpipe, Sachs 707pp/ R clutch,VAST COP E85 tune with dual VVT control, LS2 coils, 3.25” ID MAF housing and custom intake, na TB, DW300, DW 1000cc, ipd diverter valve, ipd intercooler, DO88 aluminum radiator, Magnaflow exhaust, Kaplhenke dbl adjustable front&rear coilovers, Kaplehenke delrin subframe bushings, ipd sways/strut brace, Porsche BBK front, rear '00 VR rotors/calipers, 17” BBS RGR’s, Jewels.

Oil pan with cooler, cylinder head and injectors maybe. All the things for swapping in a T5 motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron-R View Post
      The concern I have heard is not necessarily the torque value used, but rather that the ARP head studs, once tightened, do not enter into the plastic range of deformation and thus don’t flex in the same manner as the OEM do. Thus causes the water jacket to crack. Sharper minds than mine postulated this theory, and it seems a strong argument for using OEM hardware.

On my current motor build (Darton sleeved block) my builder Aaron (VAST) opted to use VW tdi head studs. They’re a smidge long so they need to be trimmed down, but they’re also a burlier grade bolt than OEM Volvo hardware. These are the same fasteners Matt (Simply Volvo) used on his high hp awd-swapped T5R build. I’ll ping Aaron and see if he can provide the part number. For those who follow Matt’s build on YouTube he details these in one of his videos, including part numbers. In my case these were easier to obtain than OEM Volvo studs, which seem to be backordered right now, or at least they were when my motor was being built.
      its neither flex or torqued to 105...separation/crack is below the below the insert in the block, they tighten the stud in the block way to tight or they did not lube the washers and nuts properly prior to torquing the stud down to block or block it self was poorly cast...most that chime in never used ARP stud and the ones that did , did it once and faucked up...using VW tdi head studs is a great option though.
      2000 Toyota Tacoma
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone
      1997 Avalon - gone - son - space-force

Properly installed using moly lube on the washers and nuts to reduce friction and torqued to 90 ft/lbs they work great. Many recent builds have used them without issue. 40k miles on this engine with an EFR 7163 at 30 psi.

Uploaded TONS OF Swedish P0rn (engine pics) in sale thread here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/628649

Happy shopping!

Kinda surprised the dealer didn't eat this since it seems to me they misdiagnosed it and sold lots of parts to try and fix it

Well maybe not surprised, but it seems a little sketch to me
      Last edited by LukeFlynn; 09-07-2020 at 07:33 PM.
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | IPD catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune
      '13 C30 T5M | Black Stone/Black | 135K | Stock

Past - 09 S40 2.4I, 04 S60R M66
      Instagram - @boostedxc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFlynn View Post
      Kinda surprised the dealer didn't eat this since it seems to me they misdiagnosed it and sold lots of parts to try and fix it

Well maybe not surprised, but it seems a little sketch to me
      Asking the dealer to replace the motor on a 13 year old car is tough... in just happy I got so much free from them, never expected them to eat it but eh, that would have been great!

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2