Life expencity of Font wheel bearings/Hubs
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Life expencity of Font wheel bearings/Hubs

Just hit 140 thou on my 07 S60 2.5T and I am replacing the LCA's and ball joints. I am considering replacing the hubs also but they are ok right now. So the question is how long long do they usually last? My parts list is already around $550. Adding the hubs is an additional $300. Please help me decide.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

From forums reading, wheel beatings are not a problem on the S60 V70 XC70 and even S80. They are commonly replaced on the XC90 perhaps because Volvo put the same bearings as on the S60, without considering the extra weight on the XC90. Basically, unless there are terrible roads hitting lots of potholes, wheel bearings on the S60 should be a life lasting item. Worth mentioning, after market wheel bearings got a bit grey these days, with some occasionally complaining about wither SKF or FAG - still the right choices but some may not be made to the standards. Also the original bearings get very stuck inside the hubs, a strong puller is warmly recommended and grease when fitting the replacement ones
      Depending if original, outer tie rods, end links and brake flexibles (crack on the inner side near the caliper) are also items to do at 140k miles (and of course the spring seats)

If they're not making any noise, I would just leave it. I had to replace my front passanger side when it started it's slow death around 80k. Driver's side one has been fine and the car is now nearing 150k. Since you're in there, it could be good insurance but they're not terrible to get to in the case you need to do it at a later date.
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72). 4C, Sport Kit, Snabb Short Shifter+Bushings, IPD Track Sways, Bi-Xenon Retrofitted R headlights, IPD DP + Oval Tube Exhaust, Forge CBV, Snabb intake pipe, R Brembos F+R, FC04A 17x8+35...
      2005 G55k Family hauler
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar (Auto-X Restoration)
      NA1 Supercharged NSX someday.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Don't forget new steering stops, I refreshed mine when I did my LCAs hoping some when rub would be eliminated as mine has 17" wheels. The old ones were decently warn. It's a pretty straight forward project excluding the bearings which I've never done yet.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

Had to replace two, the left front on V70 T5m at about 165 K, and a left rear on an 04 XC70, needed when purchased at 150 K miles.

When they get bad the brake rotor can move enough to scrape the caliper bracket, while under heavy cornering load.

I replaced one at 160k miles. The axle seals go bad and water/salt get in and can cause the bearing to die a premature death, despite the bearing being sealed. That's my theory!
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
      I replaced one at 160k miles. The axle seals go bad and water/salt get in and can cause the bearing to die a premature death, despite the bearing being sealed. That's my theory!

Good point about these plastic caps - bearing dust seals between the axle end and the bearing inner face. Always put a good one in place, it keeps the bearing from failing prematurely from dirt accumulating behind the wheel https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...647015#reviews
      Attached Images Attached Images

My '05 S60 2.5T AWD had a terrible speed-specific rumble out of the passenger front when I bought it. I thought it was the old tires, so I replaced them as well as the brakes. NOPE...rumble is still there. 112k miles.

I've got new wheel bearings to swap out in the front. Just #64 on my list of 5000 things to get done.

Unless you've got the xtra money or unless they are noisy I would decline.

From a service standpoint (We're a Volvo/Subaru shop - been around since 79) - Going back in my history I've sold 28 Since 2003. They are typically pretty good. Go with a good bearing if you do - FAG/SKF/NTN. All we use is OE.

Quote Originally Posted by ImportService View Post
      Unless you've got the xtra money or unless they are noisy I would decline.

From a service standpoint (We're a Volvo/Subaru shop - been around since 79) - Going back in my history I've sold 28 Since 2003. They are typically pretty good. Go with a good bearing if you do - FAG/SKF/NTN. All we use is OE.
      I agree. They could very well last the life of the vehicle. Don’t touch them unless you need to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Phixion View Post
      Don't forget new steering stops, I refreshed mine when I did my LCAs hoping some when rub would be eliminated as mine has 17" wheels. The old ones were decently warn. It's a pretty straight forward project excluding the bearings which I've never done yet.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
      If you unbolt the the steering stops and switch sides, it is just like having new ones. They last twice as long and if greased at every oil change even longer.

If you are pulling the LCAs Pop the axle out of the hub, spin the bearing by hand, and if it feels smooth then you are most likely good if you did not have any noise while driving. I have had many go past 200k miles. Only a few not make 150k miles.

Thanks everybody,, I am convinced to leave them original. Cant wait for the new Original LCA's and ball joints to arrive. Those Moog control arms are NFG.

Quote Originally Posted by J5T View Post
      If you unbolt the the steering stops and switch sides, it is just like having new ones. They last twice as long and if greased at every oil change even longer.
      I thought about greasing them but wouldn't they collect dirt or brake dust and wear faster?

Quote Originally Posted by J5T View Post
      If you are pulling the LCAs Pop the axle out of the hub, spin the bearing by hand, and if it feels smooth then you are most likely good if you did not have any noise while driving. I have had many go past 200k miles. Only a few not make 150k miles.
      Just a TIP - One of the BEST ways to test for a bad wheel bearing/hub, if you cannot tell which corner its coming from, is to (with the wheel still on)...Spin the tire and grab the COIL SPRING...They'll oscillate and pick up even the slightest of vibrations. Compare that feeling to the rest and you'll find the bad bearing in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentedhoodv70 View Post
      I thought about greasing them but wouldn't they collect dirt or brake dust and wear faster?
      I have not seen this to be the case. I know this one P2 owner who never lubes his and the stops on his S60 have worn down significantly faster than mine and I put on about 5 to 7k more miles a year than he does. So I keep lubing mine.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements