Big Brake Kits for V60/CC
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Big Brake Kits for V60/CC

It has been impossible to find 3rd party brake kits for our vehicles. I reached out to several companies and Rotora offered to help. Rotora has BBK for the older P3 cars, but they do not have a SPA platform to check fitment and compatibility.
      I drove down to their design office in L.A. and left my car there for a couple weeks.
      We should have some good news soon

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice work visual

Very cool! That'll be a great upgrade. The stock brakes aren't the greatest (my rotors were warped by 5000 miles).

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      It has been impossible to find 3rd party brake kits for our vehicles. I reached out to several companies and Rotora offered to help. Rotora has BBK for the older P3 cars, but they do not have a SPA platform to check fitment and compatibility.
      I drove down to their design office in L.A. and left my car there for a couple weeks.
      We should have some good news soon

Keep me in the loop, thanks for doing this!
      2020 V60 CC

Saw your post on FB. There are aftermarket BBK kits for the 90 series cars from StopTech and Brembo. I don't think you would have had issues fitting them into the 60 series, but I might be wrong. Cheers!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by AJS1KR View Post
      Very cool! That'll be a great upgrade. The stock brakes aren't the greatest (my rotors were warped by 5000 miles).
      Not the greatest for what? A change of pads would fix the deposits problem causing the warped rotors. Multi-piston fixed calipers and 2 piece rotors are hardly needed to fix that simple of an issue.

Size wise, the brakes on these cars are good, probably more heat capacity than these cars ever need on the street. Decent heat capacity could probably do track lapping with good pads and fluid.

I get the desire for bling though, some fixed calipers in a nice color will look pretty sweet. I've been pretty down on the cheaply mfr'd brands of brakes they haven't had the quality of a Brembo, AP, or even Wilwood. But if they engineer it well it could be nice. Visualv hopefully they will clue you in to the specs, if you find out the piston sizes they will use let me know, we can do some calculations to make sure they are preserving the stock bias.

What is the setup for the current gen brake system?
      I think the Polestar V60 has much larger front Brembo calipers, but the same small rear electronic brake calipers. Doesn't that screws up the brake bias?

Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Not the greatest for what?
      The brake feel is inconsistent, and my dealer said they replace SPA rotors under warranty on a regular basis. I'm certain under an emergency, they'll work as intended, but the feel is not the greatest for a modern, premium car. I don't have any plans for a BBK on my S60, but I do plan on trying the Brembo sport pads and rotors once my stock brakes need replacing.
      Last edited by AJS1KR; 04-11-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Glad to see you and the shop are taking the stay at home order seriously.....somehow doubt creating a new aftermarket BBK is considered an essential service
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Glad to see you and the shop are taking the stay at home order seriously.....somehow doubt creating a new aftermarket BBK is considered an essential service
      1. No brake kits for 2
      2. How do you know the vehicle wasn't delivered before the lockdown?

Last edited by visualv; 04-11-2020 at 11:12 PM.
      Ragnarok

What is the setup for the current gen brake system?
      I think the Polestar V60 has much larger front Brembo calipers, but the same small rear electronic brake calipers. Doesn't that screws up the brake bias?
      The Polestar does have bigger brakes, 371mm rotors don't know thickness and piston sizes at this time. The OEM has the luxury of modifying/tuning the brake bias electronically through the ABS system. When we modify aftermarket we have to preserve the bias characteristics with the hydraulics and mechanical design since we don't have the luxury of programming the electronics.

The front rotors are good size on this car at 345x30mm, at least for the T6 models I haven't checked the others, T5 might be smaller, I know the S90 has a range of sizes.

The brake feel is inconsistent, and my dealer said they replace SPA rotors under warranty on a regular basis. I'm certain under an emergency, they'll work as intended, but the feel is not the greatest for a modern, premium car. I don't have any plans for a BBK on my S60, but I do plan on trying the Brembo sport pads and rotors once my stock brakes need replacing.
      The rotors are an issue, I do think its the pads though. The Volvos aren't the only car that has had this issue. Sliding calipers get the job done, feel is not the best, that is where a fixed caliper like Brembos shine. But sliders are cheap and get the job done, 90% of buyers won't care. Nothing feels like a nice fixed caliper under the foot though...if only there was a cost effective way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Saw your post on FB. There are aftermarket BBK kits for the 90 series cars from StopTech and Brembo. I don't think you would have had issues fitting them into the 60 series, but I might be wrong. Cheers!
      What fits the S90 should fit. The problem I see is everything is like $4000...looks like the StopTech may not exist, the Brembo GT kit or the Polestar parts is close to $4000 for fronts.

I'm going to look into this a bit if it could be done properly engineered, I'm a little hesitant as the market for new Volvos is what it is because nobody buys any of it. It would be great if anyone had any feedback on this, would you potentially buy a brake upgrade what would you be looking for?

- Assume a fixed caliper like Brembo, AP, Akebono etc.
      - Stock size or bigger rotor? Bigger rotor would probably 19+ wheel only
      - Fit stock wheels or don't care?
      - Need for cosmetics? Would any upgrade be nice or do you need custom caliper colors for mad tyte bling
      - What would you spend, $1000...$2000...$2500?

I'd love to see the enthusiasm for this platform grow, the SPA is good stuff, the S60/V60 is the lightest/sportiest car built on the platform.

Good info. Speaking just for my car, my brake upgrade budget would be capped at 1600. Compatible with OEM 19 inch wheels. And no bling - the traditional red, yellow, or grey would be fine.

That so why I left my car at Rotora. It has 19" upgraded wheels and I left a 18" Volvo stock wheel with them too. They will see if a smaller setup will also fit the stock wheels

Ragnarok

Cool good feedback. I'm thinking, if it were possible to identify an existing caliper that could be adapted to the application, there could be a cost efficient upgrade. The T6 already has sizable rotor, same as the XC90 T6 345mm. There is a 366mm rotor on the XC90 T8 that would be for 19s only. Then you have spoke clearance which is always an issue fitting a fixed caliper. The 42mm offset of our wheels makes that a possibility. I'm looking into some options to test fit on the car and see what's possible.

I think the front calipers would be relatively easy to adapt. The tricky bit might be the Electronic Brake System for the rear.
      On the P3 platform, the rear calipers needed modifications to the trailing arm assembly to make space

Ragnarok

My thoughts is not worth it for the rear, or at least don't focus on it. It's a 320x20 vented rotor. You're right the complexities of the e-brake system and adding a rear fixed caliper doesn't add much to the braking feel. Volvo doesn't even bother on the Polestar!

My thoughts is not worth it for the rear, or at least don't focus on it. It's a 320x20 vented rotor. You're right the complexities of the e-brake system and adding a rear fixed caliper doesn't add much to the braking feel. Volvo doesn't even bother on the Polestar!
      The Polestar version is about 400 odd pounds heavier than a T6 V60. Upping the size of the front calipers only don't seem to make sense

Ragnarok

From a performance standpoint, the rear brakes do so little of the work...the harder you stop, the less they do. I can say from many track days with my various cars, I've only ever worried about the front brakes. Never needed to upgrade rear brakes other than matching the pads to the front. It's just never a worry.

Now modern cars have much beefier rear brakes with vented rotors, to support the other systems like traction and stability controls that leverage wheel brakes. Think rear brakes sized to support being an idiot with the throttle in the snow...

I'm sure many of the performance models with matching fixed caliper rear brakes, they are there for cosmetics, the customers don't like if it's got cool looking front brakes and the rears don't match!

There is a 366mm rotor on the XC90 T8 that would be for 19s only. Then you have spoke clearance which is always an issue fitting a fixed caliper. The 42mm offset of our wheels makes that a possibility. I'm looking into some options to test fit on the car and see what's possible.
      Would it make sense to use an OEM Brembo caliper? something like these Ford Mustang 6-piston Brembo calipers: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-fro...SABEgLKG_D_BwE

This would be great. If the factory 19's could clear this option, I'd definitely be interested (in conjunction with larger rotors).

Would it make sense to use an OEM Brembo caliper? something like these Ford Mustang 6-piston Brembo calipers: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-fro...SABEgLKG_D_BwE

This would be great. If the factory 19's could clear this option, I'd definitely be interested (in conjunction with larger rotors).
      I called Brembo-they said the new SPA platforms are not supported

Ragnarok

I called Brembo-they said the new SPA platforms are not supported

Was it Brembo US? Brembo's Euro catalog shows 3 different kits for the SPA XC90 in their catalog: https://www.brembo.com/en/Varie/Brem...ust%202019.pdf

Brembo USA. I called , and my wheel shop called them too

Ragnarok

Brembo may have dropped the XC90 kits. They are massive 405x34 rotors, not even sure that fits behind a 19 nevermind the caliper clearance. Also appears street price is/was $5k so there is that.

AJS1KR that is the idea. The PP mustang brakes are 15" (~380mm) rotors, the caliper might be a bit too big to fit stock wheels, poissibly a 20" only wheel needed. I'm looking for a 4 piston, either on the T6 345mm rotor or the 366 XC90 T8 rotor or something else. I have one to test fit incoming, there are a lot of variables to work out: piston sizes, mounting, fittings, clearance etc and takes a ton of research to try to find good candidates. But I'll see what we are dealing with and go from there.

Brembo may have dropped the XC90 kits. They are massive 405x34 rotors, not even sure that fits behind a 19 nevermind the caliper clearance. Also appears street price is/was $5k so there is that.

AJS1KR that is the idea. The PP mustang brakes are 15" (~380mm) rotors, the caliper might be a bit too big to fit stock wheels, poissibly a 20" only wheel needed. I'm looking for a 4 piston, either on the T6 345mm rotor or the 366 XC90 T8 rotor or something else. I have one to test fit incoming, there are a lot of variables to work out: piston sizes, mounting, fittings, clearance etc and takes a ton of research to try to find good candidates. But I'll see what we are dealing with and go from there.
      Definitely could be that Brembo dropped the XC90 (and even the S90) kits. At $5k, I can't imagine there were too many takers. It makes the Polestar brakes seem like a bargain (dealer parts dept quoted $3200).

Great info, thank you! It sounds like a lot of work for sure. Please keep us posted.

Rotora texted me an hour ago, say they have completed measurements and fitment calculations. There will be options for fitting BBK onto the stock 18" wheels or go with larger discs / calipers with custom wheels.
      These should technically fit the S60, V60 and CC

Stay tuned for more info as I receive them

Ragnarok

Rotora texted me an hour ago, say they have completed measurements and fitment calculations. There will be options for fitting BBK onto the stock 18" wheels or go with larger discs / calipers with custom wheels.

Stay tuned for more info as I receive them

If color choice is optional I vote for the

1. Polestar gold
      2. Blue
      3. Red

I got the OEM 19 so wondering what that would fit...
      😚😚🤓
      2020 V60 CC

A change of pads would fix the deposits problem causing the warped rotors.
      Waiting on delivery of mine, is there a thread on replacing the pads to avoid warping the rotors?
      Current: 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, Amber
      Past: 2015.5 V60 T5 AWD, Savile Grey, Beechwood.
      Past: 2011 V50 AWD, Savile Grey
      First: 1978 245DL - Orange, Tan

Did some test fitting today. Don't get too excited there is a lot of work to do to figure this out. The wheels won't clear the caliper. Probably not any fixed caliper, but the bright side is it was really close, maybe 2-3mm of spacer would be needed. Not giving up yet, as a larger rotor would actually move the caliper out to where there is more spoke clearance. That might be a 19" only solution though. I'll stick with it for now. I need to get a set of pads in and an XC90 T8 rotor to see where the caliper would need to sit exactly.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with, and how it is going to fit. If you could find out the rotor sizes and what the piston sizes would be we could do a little math to see how well they have engineered this.

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      Waiting on delivery of mine, is there a thread on replacing the pads to avoid warping the rotors?
      This is the thread that talks about the brake vibrations: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...highway-speeds. Most have seen at least temporary relief from having the rotors replaced under warranty.

It's a theory that the pads are the cause, but it's pretty sound foundation if I do say so myself ;-) Pad deposits are almost always the root cause of brake judder. Iron rotors actually don't warp in a wave that is a pervasive myth, they warp like the brim of a hat tipping up, going conical, that's the easiest way to think of it. But we need confirmation for anyone to believe me ha, so when you get those new pads at least have the rotors turned if not put fresh rotors on, and let us know how it goes!

Rotora update

Here is the scoop for Rotora Big Brake Kits:

These configurations will fit the S60, V60 and CC

AXLE CALIPER CALIPER TYPE DISC SIZE DISC TYPE R-DESIGN WHEEL (STOCK 18") 3RD PARTY 19X8.5X35mm (tested with Variant Xenon)
      Front 4-Piston RF401 355x32mm 2 piece YES YES
      Front 6-Piston RF603 355x32mm 2 piece YES YES
      Front 6-Piston RF603 380x32mm 2 piece NO YES
      Front 8-Piston RF805 390x36mm 2 piece NO YES
      Rear 4-Piston-EPB RF411 355x29mm 2 piece YES YES
      Rear 4-Piston-EPB RF403 380x29mm 2 piece NO YES

The rear axle setup will hook into the E-brake system - no sub-frame modifications is needed, unlike the P3 EPB

Please contact Loren @ Rotora . com if you have additional questions
      Ragnarok

Did some test fitting today. Don't get too excited there is a lot of work to do to figure this out. The wheels won't clear the caliper. Probably not any fixed caliper, but the bright side is it was really close, maybe 2-3mm of spacer would be needed. Not giving up yet, as a larger rotor would actually move the caliper out to where there is more spoke clearance. That might be a 19" only solution though. I'll stick with it for now. I need to get a set of pads in and an XC90 T8 rotor to see where the caliper would need to sit exactly.
      Thanks for all of your hard work on this! Which Brembo caliper is that? Any thoughts on the current Civic Type-R Brembo caliper?

Here is the scoop for Rotora Big Brake Kits:

These configurations will fit the S60, V60 and CC

The rear axle setup will hook into the E-brake system - no sub-frame modifications is needed, unlike the P3 EPB

Please contact Loren @ Rotora . com if you have additional questions
      Sweet. Which front setup will you be going with? are you doing the rears as well?

Sweet. Which front setup will you be going with? are you doing the rears as well?
      I'm going for the 380x32mm 4 piston front and 355x29mm rear with slotted discs

I've selected the Natural Anodized Silver calipers with milled red logo

Last edited by visualv; 04-21-2020 at 04:39 PM.
      Ragnarok

Visualv that is great news, looks like they will offer a number of options. Once they have made the bracket to mount the calipers, they might as well! I hope you are getting a sweet deal for letting them use your car ;-)

Thanks for all of your hard work on this! Which Brembo caliper is that? Any thoughts on the current Civic Type-R Brembo caliper?
      This caliper is from a Buick Regal GS. It's almost the same caliper as some years of Camaro SS. The Camaro one is grey or red but it says "Chevrolet" on it. I'm trying to be mindful of aesthetics, the idea is a budget upgrade, so using an existing OE caliper, available new for a good price and not having to refinish them is the goal. I have another caliper coming in this week along with the XC90 rotor in case this one doesn't work out. This caliper is great because it's designed for a similar size rotor, has the right piston size to maintain the stock braking balance, it is a "leading caliper" which means it mounts on the forward side of the wheel like ours, and is slim enough to possibly fit with no spacer. Just an idea of the factors that go into picking a caliper. The Type-R caliper is close, it does cost a bit more, it's made for a slightly wider rotor, and I cannot find the specs anywhere on piston sizes so I can't figure out if it is appropriate. I'll keep it in my list though, Honda uses the same caliper lug spacing as Volvo, but not likely it would fit without a bracket anyways so that probably doesn't matter.

The Rotora stuff is cool, it's just $2500 for the cheapest front kit for the last gen S60 at Viva so I am guessing that is about where it's going to start with the new kits. I'm trying to see if I can put something together at a much lower price point that gets a fixed caliper.

I'm going for the 380x32mm 4 piston front and 380x29mm rear with slotted discs

I've selected the Natural Anodized Silver calipers with milled red logo

Congratulations Please share your feedback on how the upgrade feels once you have some seat time.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast