Big Brake Kits for V60/CC - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 80
    1. #36
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      289
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      This caliper is from a Buick Regal GS. It's almost the same caliper as some years of Camaro SS. The Camaro one is grey or red but it says "Chevrolet" on it. I'm trying to be mindful of aesthetics, the idea is a budget upgrade, so using an existing OE caliper, available new for a good price and not having to refinish them is the goal. I have another caliper coming in this week along with the XC90 rotor in case this one doesn't work out. This caliper is great because it's designed for a similar size rotor, has the right piston size to maintain the stock braking balance, it is a "leading caliper" which means it mounts on the forward side of the wheel like ours, and is slim enough to possibly fit with no spacer. Just an idea of the factors that go into picking a caliper. The Type-R caliper is close, it does cost a bit more, it's made for a slightly wider rotor, and I cannot find the specs anywhere on piston sizes so I can't figure out if it is appropriate. I'll keep it in my list though, Honda uses the same caliper lug spacing as Volvo, but not likely it would fit without a bracket anyways so that probably doesn't matter.

      The Rotora stuff is cool, it's just $2500 for the cheapest front kit for the last gen S60 at Viva so I am guessing that is about where it's going to start with the new kits. I'm trying to see if I can put something together at a much lower price point that gets a fixed caliper.

      Thanks again for your work on this, please keep us updated on your progress. I'm just glad someone who knows what they're doing is working on this!

      Just out of curiosity, do you know if the T6's larger front factory rotors would fit the T5 caliper?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Quote Originally Posted by AJS1KR View Post
      Just out of curiosity, do you know if the T6's larger front factory rotors would fit the T5 caliper?
      I can't confirm with available info, but it is pretty common for a mfr to use the same caliper, with a different bracket for each rotor size. Likely just the rotor and bracket could be swapped from a T6 on to the T5.

    4. #38
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      289
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      I can't confirm with available info, but it is pretty common for a mfr to use the same caliper, with a different bracket for each rotor size. Likely just the rotor and bracket could be swapped from a T6 on to the T5.
      Cheers! great info as always, Power6! Thank you.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #39
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Hey guys, I am still working on this. Have gone through a few permutations of parts that didn't work out. I think I've got a set up that is going to be awesome and fit under 18s. But clearance is going to be close based on my 19" R-D wheels. It might need a spacer, 3mm or 5mm I don't know yet.

      I'm still working on this as a labor of love but I am hoping to develop something people would want to buy. How do y'all feel about needing spacers to get the sweet bling with stock wheels?

    7. #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Hey guys, I am still working on this. Have gone through a few permutations of parts that didn't work out. I think I've got a set up that is going to be awesome and fit under 18s. But clearance is going to be close based on my 19" R-D wheels. It might need a spacer, 3mm or 5mm I don't know yet.

      I'm still working on this as a labor of love but I am hoping to develop something people would want to buy. How do y'all feel about needing spacers to get the sweet bling with stock wheels?
      I would be perfectly fine about it.

      You got to consider people that will spend 3k+ on brakes they donít need wonít run stock wheels and if they do if probably polestar wheels the spacers would be used anyway.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

    8. #41
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Thanks bud, yeah if you look at another way, you can save like $2k but need to run spacers not a bad thing. I'm real big on not messing with stock suspension geometry too much but a small spacer is alright. That's one issue worked out, I'll keep on it...

    9. #42
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      213
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Thanks bud, yeah if you look at another way, you can save like $2k but need to run spacers not a bad thing. I'm real big on not messing with stock suspension geometry too much but a small spacer is alright. That's one issue worked out, I'll keep on it...
      Seeing as how the 20" wheel comes with a 245 width tire rather than 235 for the 19", and the offset is 45.5 vs 42, shouldn't that mean you should be able to add a 6.5mm spacer to your 19" wheels and have the same geometry as if you were running the 20" wheel option with no spacer?
      Volvo: 2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      Other: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth, 2016 Acura TLX
      Past: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2010 Honda Civic, 2008 BMW Z4, 1988 Mazda RX-7, 1998 BMW M Roadster, 2004 Toyota Sequoia, 1998 Mercedes-Benz S320, 1995 Toyota Corolla

    10. #43
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
      Seeing as how the 20" wheel comes with a 245 width tire rather than 235 for the 19", and the offset is 45.5 vs 42, shouldn't that mean you should be able to add a 6.5mm spacer to your 19" wheels and have the same geometry as if you were running the 20" wheel option with no spacer?
      A spacer actually goes the other way with positive offset, a 42 with a 5mm spacer becomes a 37.

      Interesting Volvo "tucks" the 20" in a bit.

    11. #44
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      213
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      A spacer actually goes the other way with positive offset, a 42 with a 5mm spacer becomes a 37.

      Interesting Volvo "tucks" the 20" in a bit.
      Yes, but the tire is 10mm wider to begin with.
      Volvo: 2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      Other: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth, 2016 Acura TLX
      Past: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2010 Honda Civic, 2008 BMW Z4, 1988 Mazda RX-7, 1998 BMW M Roadster, 2004 Toyota Sequoia, 1998 Mercedes-Benz S320, 1995 Toyota Corolla

    12. #45
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
      Yes, but the tire is 10mm wider to begin with.
      The wheel is the same width (8") so not changing the offset, would result in equal distribution if the wider footprint. So there isn't an obvious reason why they would do that.

    13. #46
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      @visualv - If I understand this correctly, you went for a 6-Piston RF603 caliper with 380X32 Rotors up-front and a 4-Piston RF411 caliper with 355X29 for the rear. Could you please confirm this?

      Also, it would be great if you can provide me with the offset numbers for your stock 18" R-Design wheels as I see the front setup does not clear the stock wheels, but the rear does.

      I am thinking of going the same route as you have, on my V90CC, but I have 20" OEM Volvo wheels with a 49.5 offset. So I'm convinced that my wheels would "radially" clear your setup just fine. I am worried about the axial clearance with the calipers on my almost 50-offset wheels. Although I would love to avoid using spacers, I think I'll have to go with them because of increased offset on my OEM wheels.

      A 15mm spacer will put me at 35-offset (much like your Xenon wheels), which, according to post #30, will clear all four calipers radially and axially. I'm not sure if 15 mm spacers will have my wheels poke out of the wheel well (I would hate that look), so I was thinking of 10 mm spacers but am unsure if they would suffice.

      Could you please confirm this information to help me figure out my spacer situation?

      Thank a bunch, Andrew, on taking the initiative on this BBK.

      EDIT: From some initial research, I guess your stock 18" wheel specs have an offset of 42mm. And your Xenons have an offset of 35 mm.

      So If I'm doing my calculations right, I just might be able to get away with a 10 mm spacer, resulting in a 39.5 mm offset on my wheels, but that would probably be cutting it too close. So a 15 mm spacer, bringing my offset to 34.5 mm might very well be needed. Would you guys agree?
      Last edited by Volvolic; 07-07-2020 at 06:46 AM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    14. #47
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      273
      I always find this site useful, you can plug in all your variables and gives you a good break down.
      Good luck!

      https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

    15. #48
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by lilgoat View Post
      I always find this site useful, you can plug in all your variables and gives you a good break down.
      Good luck!

      https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
      Thank you, @lilgoat. I use a similar website to calculate my wheel fitment. It kind of gives me a ballpark number if my wheels would stick out or not, but without knowing the actual width of the calipers, I won't be able to decide if I want to go with a 10 mm spacer, or a 12 or a 15 to clear the calipers. I would personally like to use a spacer only thick enough to just clear the calipers with a couple of mm to spare and nothing more, nothing less. I don't really care about the flush fitment for the looks and would rather hate if the wheels stick out over the body lines. That's why the struggle!
      Last edited by Volvolic; 07-07-2020 at 07:27 AM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    16. #49
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Volvolic, as you probably know, spoke clearance is what you need! And so many different wheel designs and offsets with the Volvos. 380mm typically needs 19s for barrel clearance so you are plenty fine there.

      If Visualv is helpful (ha just called him out ;-)) he could measure the protrusion of the caliper at the from the rotor face, and how far out from the wheel center that is, i.e. something like "6 inches from wheels axis, 2.5 inches out from rotor surface. You'll want the very closest part of the caliper to the axis of the wheel, as the spokes generally have more clearance the further from center you go. ALSO with the Rotora kit, you will need to know, the measurement from the surface of the rotor to the mounting surface of the wheel (basically the height of the "hat) as Rotora engineers may have adjusted the offset of the rotor inboard to improve wheel fit. The stock rotor is 18mm rotor face to mounting surface. If the Rotora rotor is offset more, say 24mm for example, you take 24-18=6mm and add that to your available clearance. Sorry for the mix of units, I just got a lot of dimensions swimming around in my head ;-) Rule of thumb is you need 3mm clearance from caliper to the wheel for heat expansion and wheel bearing deflection, can probably cheat that a tiny bit but not much.

      I'll be interested to see how the fit works out. The difference in offsets could well be accounted for in spoke designs, or some of the SPA chassis have really close clearance to sliding calipers which means you need a lot of spacer width. I can tell you, it may not apply to aftermarket kits that are changed around to fit, but the typical width needed for a fixed caliper is about 2.5" from the rotor face on our stock rotor offset, somewhere's about 5-6 inches from the wheel axis depending on rotor diameter. The 19's (19x8, ET42) on my S60 have just barely 2.25 if that, which is what I have been trying to overcome. Would love to know that measurement on your S90 to compare!

      I'm still working on my brake project. Car is going for service tomorrow to have brake vibration addressed among other things, once that is hopefully addressed with some new rotors I will start messing with stuff again. I got a whole bunch of fitting and testing to do. I'm working on the premise that so many don't need those huge brakes with 380mm rotor and the expense of it. BUT it is good stuff, assuming Rotora makes a good caliper on the level of Brembo or a StopTech. None of us need to be driving nice new SPA Volvo's either but we do.

    17. #50
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      432
      The stock 18" R-Design wheels have enough spoke clearance for the smaller calipers (I posted it earlier)
      AXLE CALIPER CALIPER TYPE DISC SIZE DISC TYPE R-DESIGN WHEEL (STOCK 18")
      Front 4-Piston RF401 355x32mm 2 piece YES
      Front 6-Piston RF603 355x32mm 2 piece YES

      380mm rotors will require 19" wheels

      R-Design has a 42mm offset. I have between 1/2" to 3/4" side clearance between the caliper face and wheel spoke on my 19" Variants. The Rotora calipers are not as chunky as Brembos
      Last edited by visualv; 07-07-2020 at 02:21 PM.
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    18. #51
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Volvolic, as you probably know, spoke clearance is what you need! And so many different wheel designs and offsets with the Volvos. 380mm typically needs 19s for barrel clearance so you are plenty fine there.

      If Visualv is helpful (ha just called him out ;-)) he could measure the protrusion of the caliper at the from the rotor face, and how far out from the wheel center that is, i.e. something like "6 inches from wheels axis, 2.5 inches out from rotor surface. You'll want the very closest part of the caliper to the axis of the wheel, as the spokes generally have more clearance the further from center you go. ALSO with the Rotora kit, you will need to know, the measurement from the surface of the rotor to the mounting surface of the wheel (basically the height of the "hat) as Rotora engineers may have adjusted the offset of the rotor inboard to improve wheel fit. The stock rotor is 18mm rotor face to mounting surface. If the Rotora rotor is offset more, say 24mm for example, you take 24-18=6mm and add that to your available clearance. Sorry for the mix of units, I just got a lot of dimensions swimming around in my head ;-) Rule of thumb is you need 3mm clearance from caliper to the wheel for heat expansion and wheel bearing deflection, can probably cheat that a tiny bit but not much.

      I'll be interested to see how the fit works out. The difference in offsets could well be accounted for in spoke designs, or some of the SPA chassis have really close clearance to sliding calipers which means you need a lot of spacer width. I can tell you, it may not apply to aftermarket kits that are changed around to fit, but the typical width needed for a fixed caliper is about 2.5" from the rotor face on our stock rotor offset, somewhere's about 5-6 inches from the wheel axis depending on rotor diameter. The 19's (19x8, ET42) on my S60 have just barely 2.25 if that, which is what I have been trying to overcome. Would love to know that measurement on your S90 to compare!

      I'm still working on my brake project. Car is going for service tomorrow to have brake vibration addressed among other things, once that is hopefully addressed with some new rotors I will start messing with stuff again. I got a whole bunch of fitting and testing to do. I'm working on the premise that so many don't need those huge brakes with 380mm rotor and the expense of it. BUT it is good stuff, assuming Rotora makes a good caliper on the level of Brembo or a StopTech. None of us need to be driving nice new SPA Volvo's either but we do.
      Thanks a ton for the useful info, Power6. I just now placed my BBK order with Rotora and also placed an order for 15 mm spacers from Viva.

      I didn't want to take the risk of the 10 mm spacers not being enough to enclose those calipers. If, after installation, we figure that 15 mm is plenty big, and I can probably go down to 10 mm. I'll then reorder the correct spacers and return the 15 mm ones. I'll surely maintain at least 2-3 mm of clearance between the Caliper and the Wheel as you have suggested.

      Good luck with your set-up. I agree with you the BBK is probably an overkill for most of us, but I just couldn't stand the mush pedal feeling I started getting again on my V90CC when hard braking with a full load inside.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    19. #52
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      The stock 18" R-Design wheels have enough spoke clearance for the smaller calipers (I posted it earlier)
      AXLE CALIPER CALIPER TYPE DISC SIZE DISC TYPE R-DESIGN WHEEL (STOCK 18")
      Front 4-Piston RF401 355x32mm 2 piece YES
      Front 6-Piston RF603 355x32mm 2 piece YES

      380mm rotors will require 19" wheels

      R-Design has a 42mm offset. I have between 1/2" to 3/4" side clearance between the caliper face and wheel spoke on my 19" Variants. The Rotora calipers are not as chunky as Brembos
      Ok, so if I understand what you've said, with the Variants, which have 35 mm offset, you have at least 1/2 inches of clearance from the caliper face to the back-side of the wheel spoke. This means, your setup would probably be also ok with a 19-inch wheel which had 45 mm of offset, correct? You would still have 2.7 mm of clearance between the caliper face and back-side of the wheel spoke with this setup. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    20. #53
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      213
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Thanks a ton for the useful info, Power6. I just now placed my BBK order with Rotora and also placed an order for 15 mm spacers from Viva.

      I didn't want to take the risk of the 10 mm spacers not being enough to enclose those calipers. If, after installation, we figure that 15 mm is plenty big, and I can probably go down to 10 mm. I'll then reorder the correct spacers and return the 15 mm ones. I'll surely maintain at least 2-3 mm of clearance between the Caliper and the Wheel as you have suggested.

      Good luck with your set-up. I agree with you the BBK is probably an overkill for most of us, but I just couldn't stand the mush pedal feeling I started getting again on my V90CC when hard braking with a full load inside.
      If braking feel is what you're looking for, a new set of calipers might only partially solve that problem. You may need to upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel, as the rubber ones will stretch and flex under pressure and lead to a spongey feeling under hard braking. On my old STI, I had to upgrade the master cylinder brace and the brake lines before the big factory Brembo brakes were to my liking.
      Volvo: 2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      Other: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth, 2016 Acura TLX
      Past: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2010 Honda Civic, 2008 BMW Z4, 1988 Mazda RX-7, 1998 BMW M Roadster, 2004 Toyota Sequoia, 1998 Mercedes-Benz S320, 1995 Toyota Corolla

    21. #54
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
      If braking feel is what you're looking for, a new set of calipers might only partially solve that problem. You may need to upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel, as the rubber ones will stretch and flex under pressure and lead to a spongey feeling under hard braking.
      Yup. True. The BBK I have on order comes with SS braided lines. I'm counting on that to help me as well. Let's just say my 4th of July drive back home with a fully-loaded vehicle driving aggressively between 30 mph and 120 mph, while overtaking & braking constantly was not a fun experience. It was the first time I lost confidence on my Vehicle's capabilities and it is not a good feeling.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    22. #55
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      432
      Please excuse the blurry cam. There is 5/8" clearance at the smallest gap - 15.8mm. Same gap on the rear

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by visualv; 07-07-2020 at 02:42 PM.
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    23. #56
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Please excuse the blurry cam. There is 3/4" clearance and the smaller gap. Same gap on the rear

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Perfect. A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you, visualv for the help!

      If the spoke design (concavity) is similar between your Variants and my OEM wheels, I'm betting the 10 mm spacers would work just fine in my application, since they will bring my offset down from 49.5 to 39.5 mm.

      But since I already have the 15 mm spacers on order, I'll install them and see how everything goes together, and if the spacing (the axial gap between caliper and wheel spoke) is too big for my taste, might exchange them for 10 mm spacers. Thanks, again!

      EDIT: I called up [email protected] and he was happy to change my order from 15 mm spacers to the 10 mm ones. So everything should be good now!
      Last edited by Volvolic; 07-07-2020 at 02:49 PM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    24. #57
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      432
      I planned for 35mm offset to get a flush look. The caliper spoke gap is a little too big , but it's okay

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    25. #58
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
      If braking feel is what you're looking for, a new set of calipers might only partially solve that problem. You may need to upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel, as the rubber ones will stretch and flex under pressure and lead to a spongey feeling under hard braking. On my old STI, I had to upgrade the master cylinder brace and the brake lines before the big factory Brembo brakes were to my liking.
      Of course you were starting with a fixed caliper! I swapped the sliders to the Sumitomo "4-pots" on my WRX, the improvement in brake feel was noticeable even with the same stock 296mm rotors and everything else. I later switched to the 316mm LGT brakes, back to sliders and their mushy feel, but needed them for the track. That's when I became sold on fixed calipers. My guess 80% of feel improvement is a fixed caliper, stainless lines are a nice to have though. The MC brace always seemed Subaru specific, hopefully our sweet Volvo firewalls don't flex like a Subie ;-)

      Sliders are cheap though, and most people don't care about the brake feel. I'd wager even most buyers of the cars with the big Brembos don't care, but nobody is going to drop the coin on the M or AMG without sweet looking brakes behind those wheels!

      Visualv, are you able to measure from the rotor face to the wheel mounting surface (height of the rotor "hat" basically)? I am curious how they have offset the rotors. Also does the kit require removal or trimming of the stock splash shields?

      Caliper stiffness is important to great brake feel, but wheel clearance is important to aftermarket brake companies. So some calipers could be a compromise too far. I wouldn't touch a K-sport for example. But Rotora seems to be coming up in the world.

    26. #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Did some test fitting today. Don't get too excited there is a lot of work to do to figure this out. The wheels won't clear the caliper. Probably not any fixed caliper, but the bright side is it was really close, maybe 2-3mm of spacer would be needed. Not giving up yet, as a larger rotor would actually move the caliper out to where there is more spoke clearance. That might be a 19" only solution though. I'll stick with it for now. I need to get a set of pads in and an XC90 T8 rotor to see where the caliper would need to sit exactly.







      Will be interesting to see what they come up with, and how it is going to fit. If you could find out the rotor sizes and what the piston sizes would be we could do a little math to see how well they have engineered this.



      This is the thread that talks about the brake vibrations: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...highway-speeds. Most have seen at least temporary relief from having the rotors replaced under warranty.

      It's a theory that the pads are the cause, but it's pretty sound foundation if I do say so myself ;-) Pad deposits are almost always the root cause of brake judder. Iron rotors actually don't warp in a wave that is a pervasive myth, they warp like the brim of a hat tipping up, going conical, that's the easiest way to think of it. But we need confirmation for anyone to believe me ha, so when you get those new pads at least have the rotors turned if not put fresh rotors on, and let us know how it goes!


      so is this the XC90 KIT ?
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

    27. #60
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      so is this the XC90 KIT ?
      No it's my own brew ;-) The XC90 T8 366mm is a direct swap rotor so I used it to check fit and see if it would work. All the SPA are the same brake system with rotors basically, just depends on model there are 326mm I think (don't care about the small stuff ;-), 345mm on most T6, and the 366mm on the XC90 T8. That caliper, though, is not going to work, so it was back to the drawing board. I have a couple more calipers and a new rotor in to try next...

    28. #61
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      432
      I understand that no cutting of splash shield is needed, unlike the old P3. That needed to cut a trailing arm too.
      The Rotora kits comes with full installation manual.
      The biggest advantage with the Rotora is that they designed an e-brake system that works with our car without software change with VIDA. That's big.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    29. #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      No it's my own brew ;-) The XC90 T8 366mm is a direct swap rotor so I used it to check fit and see if it would work. All the SPA are the same brake system with rotors basically, just depends on model there are 326mm I think (don't care about the small stuff ;-), 345mm on most T6, and the 366mm on the XC90 T8. That caliper, though, is not going to work, so it was back to the drawing board. I have a couple more calipers and a new rotor in to try next...
      Ok let me know when you got something PM in case I miss it please
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

    30. #63
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      I understand that no cutting of splash shield is needed, unlike the old P3. That needed to cut a trailing arm too.
      The Rotora kits comes with full installation manual.
      The biggest advantage with the Rotora is that they designed an e-brake system that works with our car without software change with VIDA. That's big.
      That's good, removing the splash shield is a worthwhile tradeoff for track driving, improves the airflow through the rotor, for street use it's nice to protect the rubber and greasy bits from heat. Sometimes the stock shield has a lip preventing larger rotors from fitting but the Volvo has a flat shield that doesn't interfere with a larger diameter rotor. I see the instructions for the 2018 kit posted on the webs, the SPA kit must be so new it's not hosted anywhere yet. Do you have that PDF?

      Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Ok let me know when you got something PM in case I miss it please
      Oh I will keep you posted!

    31. #64
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Got a V60CC loaner today while car is in for service. It's nice! I might post my thoughts later. It has the 18" wheels, and I can see it has the 345mm brakes, there is very little clearance to the wheel both the spokes, and the barrel of the rim, with the stock sliding caliper.

    32. #65
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      19
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      I'm going for the 380x32mm 4 piston front and 355x29mm rear with slotted discs

      I've selected the Natural Anodized Silver calipers with milled red logo

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      OP - Would you mind sharing some pics on the car? How is the feel and performance of your new system?

      Thx!

    33. #66
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      After putting a bunch of time into research and testing on the brake project, I am at a crossroads. I'm trying to figure if I should keep going. There are some limitations with the platform that mean finding another OE application that takes advantage of quantity production numbers isn't going to work. If I just wanted to make a bracket and bolt something on, can probably be done, but I am talking about doing this right. That means an aftermarket caliper to make this work.

      That drives up the cost to do that, but does open the flexibility to get it right. I figured I'd pitch it to y'all and see what you think before I throw in the towel.

      So now you can buy a brake kit, starting at least $2500 for the front. If you want a big proven name, you are $3k and up. Rotora seems pretty good people, but they don't test the platforms they develop for and they don't share their specs, they fit their brakes to as many cars as possible. Not saying Brembo don't do pretty much that either. But the question really is, do you need that they are selling?

      The problems I think someone who might buy a brake kit is solving:

      - The stock Volvo rotors warp all the time
      - cast iron calipers don't look cool
      - we modify for improvement, so we'd like actual improvement, even if we don't always need that capability

      Problems with existing solutions:

      - expensive to buy
      - expensive to maintain, 2 piece rotors are NOT cheap, yes just the rings are $300+ each. And you need to familiarize yourself with 2 piece rotor assembly.
      - The parts are good, but not put together for the application. Do you need a 355mm rotor, or a 380mm? Is that more or LESS heat capacity than the stock rotors? Is that OK? Who has track or performance tested to verify actual improvement with real data?

      There is more but that's good for now. So here is what I propose, and I'd like to know if there is any interest. I'm not going to spend the time unless others want what I am trying to do too!

      What I would put together:

      - A fixed caliper kit that would use a stock 345mm (13.6") or 366mm (14.4") Volvo iron rotor
      - Many of the SPA vehicles would fit them without a spacer with stock wheels
      - An iron rotor is proven, and inexpensive. You can pick the quality. I got a 366mm T8 rotor for $45 from Rockauto. No $600 rotor changes. 2 piece only save max 5lbs of dead rotor weight, any more than that and heat capacity is being removed (that's bad).
      - Properly engineered to maintain bias, not mess with ABS, ESC etc.
      - Cost about $1500 best guess
      - I will test and prove the performance improvement
      - Forget a rear kit, you don't need it, waste of money.

      So the short solution to the rotor warp is simply change your pads, job done. But if you want something more, cool fixed calipers, better brake feel, more choices in brake pads, but not lose the inexpensive serviceability, this is what you would go for. If anybody who would be interested would just as soon blow $5k on front and rear BBK I'll stop now ;-)

      Opinions welcome!

    34. #67
      Well I would think with all the cars on this platform brembo would make a kit. However most performances manufacturer I spoke with donít make components for Volvo as they just donít sell.

      Add to the relatively new platform we got they rather place the time and effort on Audi, the new Supra, or whatever car people spend the 5k on brakes they donít even use. Hell the most accessorize car in the world is Jeep Wrangler and 90% of them just go to a mall.

      I guess if i finally decided to spend the cash to improve the looks of the brakes I will go with the polestar kit from ViVA performance.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

    35. #68
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      After putting a bunch of time into research and testing on the brake project, I am at a crossroads. I'm trying to figure if I should keep going. There are some limitations with the platform that mean finding another OE application that takes advantage of quantity production numbers isn't going to work. If I just wanted to make a bracket and bolt something on, can probably be done, but I am talking about doing this right. That means an aftermarket caliper to make this work.

      That drives up the cost to do that, but does open the flexibility to get it right. I figured I'd pitch it to y'all and see what you think before I throw in the towel.

      So now you can buy a brake kit, starting at least $2500 for the front. If you want a big proven name, you are $3k and up. Rotora seems pretty good people, but they don't test the platforms they develop for and they don't share their specs, they fit their brakes to as many cars as possible. Not saying Brembo don't do pretty much that either. But the question really is, do you need that they are selling?

      The problems I think someone who might buy a brake kit is solving:

      - The stock Volvo rotors warp all the time
      - cast iron calipers don't look cool
      - we modify for improvement, so we'd like actual improvement, even if we don't always need that capability

      Problems with existing solutions:

      - expensive to buy
      - expensive to maintain, 2 piece rotors are NOT cheap, yes just the rings are $300+ each. And you need to familiarize yourself with 2 piece rotor assembly.
      - The parts are good, but not put together for the application. Do you need a 355mm rotor, or a 380mm? Is that more or LESS heat capacity than the stock rotors? Is that OK? Who has track or performance tested to verify actual improvement with real data?

      There is more but that's good for now. So here is what I propose, and I'd like to know if there is any interest. I'm not going to spend the time unless others want what I am trying to do too!

      What I would put together:

      - A fixed caliper kit that would use a stock 345mm (13.6") or 366mm (14.4") Volvo iron rotor
      - Many of the SPA vehicles would fit them without a spacer with stock wheels
      - An iron rotor is proven, and inexpensive. You can pick the quality. I got a 366mm T8 rotor for $45 from Rockauto. No $600 rotor changes. 2 piece only save max 5lbs of dead rotor weight, any more than that and heat capacity is being removed (that's bad).
      - Properly engineered to maintain bias, not mess with ABS, ESC etc.
      - Cost about $1500 best guess
      - I will test and prove the performance improvement
      - Forget a rear kit, you don't need it, waste of money.

      So the short solution to the rotor warp is simply change your pads, job done. But if you want something more, cool fixed calipers, better brake feel, more choices in brake pads, but not lose the inexpensive serviceability, this is what you would go for. If anybody who would be interested would just as soon blow $5k on front and rear BBK I'll stop now ;-)

      Opinions welcome!
      Hello, Power6. The Volvo brake situation has been on my mind for more than a year now before I finally pulled the trigger on a BBK.

      Of course, I had started to get the pulsating-feeling on my brake pedal and a tiny shimmy on my Steering. Because these front OEM replacement brakes (disc and pads) lasted me for around 60k miles (they were last changed at around 6k miles), I decided to go the aftermarket route. Another factor was the heavy braking my fully loaded (4 passengers + the entire luggage compartment full) vehicle sees many times a year and my recent scary experience when the brake pedal felt semi-mush with high-fade at the brakes.

      I needed something which would not degrade a whole lot with heavy repeated braking.

      Going in, I had two options in the aftermarket brakes category.

      1) Switch the Rotors, Pads and Brake lines to aftermarket ones with the OEM Calipers and call it a day. Maybe the most cost-effective and better ROI option.
      2) Go for a complete BBK kit, partly for the bling, partly for the better thermal sink, and partly for (hopefully) not having the Volvo brake-issues headache ever again.

      I decided to choose Option #2 because, for me, having complete peace of mind was as high on the priority list as to how much it would cost me to buy/install/maintain.

      Also, because I didn't want to alter the front-rear brake bias, I went for the BBK on both axles. Was it expensive and much more than what I would like to spend on brakes? Kind of. I mean, of course, more expensive than Option #1 discussed above. But when I checked with Rotora for the pricing and Loren was kind enough to offer me their introductory pricing for the kit, it was so much more worth it financially.

      I had promised myself that I wouldn't be opting for the BBK if it's going to cost me upwards of $5k for all fours (including installation labor, spacers, etc.). And from the looks of it, it probably won't.

      For anyone wanting to go for a BBK but the high cost is a BIG turn-off, talk to retailers about promotions, or a better deal. I did and was frankly surprised at what the re-quote from [email protected] came to, and that's why I jumped on the BBK bandwagon.

      I hope this information helps!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    36. #69
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      524
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      I hope this information helps!
      Thanks for the detailed breakdown ;-)

      So if there was a less expensive option such as I laid out, would you have considered it? Or you were going to go straight to the big stuff anyways ;-)

      Whether you get a rear kit or not, has little to do with the bias effects. It's in the spec of each component. There is so much mis-information about this stuff!

      When you get your kit in, if you were to say have a ruler, and were willing to take and provide a few measurements to me, I could give you an idea of how good a match Rotora made with the components to the SPA Volvo. Could be helpful to all of us!

      BTW not surprised you got a deal, especially buying a full kit. There is a great opportunity for profit as the barrier to entry in mfr-ing your own calipers, rotor hats etc. is high, so there are only so many sources. Just like buying our cars, some people may pay more than others.
      Last edited by Power6; 07-13-2020 at 02:12 PM.

    37. #70
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Thanks for the detailed breakdown ;-)
      You're welcome, Power6. It was just my 2cents worth of logic as to why I came to the conclusion/decision that I did!

      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      So if there was a less expensive option such as I laid out, would you have considered it? Or you were going to go straight to the big stuff anyways ;-)
      From your previous post, I'm concluding the front BBK would be around $1,500. It would be a hard sell for me because, with a little more budget, I would be buying forged 6-Piston Calipers up-front, 2-piece 380mm slotted rotors with all necessary hardware included. As I have mentioned earlier, if the BBK would cost me a lot more, I would jump on the solution you provide, but with the deal, I got, it would be a hard sell for me!

      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Whether you get a rear kit or not, has little to do with the bias effects. It's in the spec of each component. There is so much mis-information about this stuff!
      I agree, but for me, I would rather have the entire set-up updated than just the fronts as that would change the brake bias. I presume that's why even Polestars, although having the same rear-brakes as non-polestar Volvo, come with more aggressive pads on the rear (don't quote me on this but I remember reading it somewhere on Swedespeed).

      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      When you get your kit in, if you were to say have a ruler, and were willing to take and provide a few measurements to me, I could give you an idea of how good a match Rotora made with the components to the SPA Volvo. Could be helpful to all of us!
      I'll be glad to do so. I'll ping you once I have the kit with me and we can discuss what all needs to be measured.

      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      BTW not surprised you got a deal, especially buying a full kit. There is a great opportunity for profit as the barrier to entry in mfr-ing your own calipers, rotor hats etc. is high, so there are only so many sources. Just like buying our cars, some people may pay more than others.
      True. And I'll repeat myself, at the sticker price for the BBK on both axles, I wouldn't buy it even in my dreams. Too rich for my budget. But with the deal I got, especially on something which I've always felt so strongly about (about the brakes being inadequate for such a large & heavy vehicle), and the fading/shimmy experiences I've had, I jumped on the deal.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. V60 CC AWD Luxury Seats w/o CC pro Package?
      By Mike999 in forum S60 & V60, V60CC (SPA: 2019- )
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 01-12-2020, 01:14 PM
    2. Big Brake kits for V60...
      By Fattcoffee in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 12-22-2016, 04:06 PM
    3. V60 CC vs. V60 R Design - decisions, decisions
      By Stomp in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 08-26-2015, 09:12 PM
    4. S60 CC and V60 CC Video review
      By volvokhaled in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 07-16-2015, 11:56 AM
    5. Big Big Big interview tomorrow....
      By Epiphny in forum Off Topic Forum
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 04-05-2007, 03:39 PM