Start/Stop Quit Working
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Start/Stop Quit Working

Given the COVID-19 crisis, our cars have not been driven much. The XC60 sat for about a week, then started right up. But when I got to the first destination and tried to open the hatch, it just clicked and a notification something like Low Charge appeared. I was able to help it open and it has been OK since. I saw the Low Charge message again a few times, but it always started right up. Later, I did some voltage measurements:

Time. Main Battery. Aux. Battery
      1:22PM. 12.59 12.66 Engine off
      1:25PM. 15.28 13.15 Engine Idling for 3 minutes
      1:45PM. 12.25 12.72 Engine off
      3:20PM. 12.25 12.64 Engine still off

Then I did a resistive load test and it measured 400CCA, in the green, then the main battery returned to 12.37 Volts.

Since then, a few days later, everything seems normal, except that start/stop no longer works. Under the My Car menu, Start/Stop gives a message: "At the moment the electrical system does not allow use of the Start/Stop Function. The following examples may be reasons for this: the battery is charging or the battery temperature is too low."

The batteries are original, but AGM should last longer that wet batteries, right? Any advice will be appreciated.

At 72 K miles, it is beyond the original warranty, but I have the Steingold extended one. Will that cover having the battery monitor reset if that's all it needs?
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed
      2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you have a battery charger then charge both. Maintenance charging is always a good practice but the main battery is monitored Using the BMS in a pretty accurate way. When the alternator is commanded to a higher charge rate the current in to battery and the voltage rise are used to determine state of charge and state of health of the battery. Rest voltage is a a gauge but rest voltage can be higher when a battery is not well charged or is not capable of taking a good charge. The standards for S/S to operate is high as they never want to kill the engine and not be able to start it instantly.
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

Despite the fact that I park in a secure garage at home, I have found it beneficial to keep the doors locked. Apparently, the vehicle consumes more electricity when dormant with the doors unlocked.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

batteries should be replaced every 3 to 5 years... it's not a huge expense and so many systems in cars these days rely on electronics, even when thr car is asleep... there's a reason why most batteries only have few years warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by MRCW View Post
      batteries should be replaced every 3 to 5 years... it's not a huge expense and so many systems in cars these days rely on electronics, even when thr car is asleep... there's a reason why most batteries only have few years warranty...
      When properly taken care of batteries can last 10+ years. That's like saying food kept past it's best buy date should be thrown out.

I have had many batteries last 10 years and still pass load testing. I charged them twice per year at least and only added distilled water if they had access. I see cars in my shop all the time with 3 year old batteries that are done. I know many of these are sit and listen to radio cars for school pickup and the delayed lights off feature is active. Yes, the way most all cars and trucks are made now the ignition key or button is not directly powering down the vehicle. It starts a power down sequence and the time until the vehicle goes to hibernate mode varies with manufacturer and with equipment on the vehicle. If you do a consumption test and see the current draw from halogen and HID lamps you'd switch that feature off. LED lights are better but still cause longer higher current draw when the vehicle goes down.
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

OP, take it on a 30 min cruise to give the car a chance to recharge the battery. I do that once a week and like to hook it up to my Noco Genius smart charger about once a week as well. Once it charges the battery to 100%, it then rejuvenates (desulphates) the cells. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHR9EaxSgE The charger came with an extra wire connector that you hardwire to the battery so hooking up now takes 5 seconds. I love this charger and haven't had a problem since I got in the habit of using it when the car just sits there. I hope this helps.

It is pretty easy to keep the battery healthy if you can check it on a smartphone. Plenty of battery parameters can be read with Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app, especially if car is equipped with BMS sensor (2010+ cars):
      - state of charge SoC,
      - battery voltage and current,
      - alternator current,
      - charge balance for each drive,
      - standby drain (quiescent),
      - start-stop battery voltage, average voltage, charging need, etc.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under...r-battery1.htm

glad to hear many on you can nurse along your car battery... the law of averages tells us that if your battery is older than 4 years and you are having electrical problems, look to the battery first...

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MRCW View Post
      When properly taken care of batteries can last 10+ years. That's like saying food kept past it's best buy date should be thrown out.
      if you rely just on that food to keep you going, are you going to eat food a year after it's use by date? especially if it is inexpensive to replace? why take the , thankrisk... cars that are 10 years old have much fewer electronics that remain active, even when the car is asleep than many newer models

Quote Originally Posted by carmonkey View Post
      OP, take it on a 30 min cruise to give the car a chance to recharge the battery. I do that once a week and like to hook it up to my Noco Genius smart charger about once a week as well. Once it charges the battery to 100%, it then rejuvenates (desulphates) the cells. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHR9EaxSgE The charger came with an extra wire connector that you hardwire to the battery so hooking up now takes 5 seconds. I love this charger and haven't had a problem since I got in the habit of using it when the car just sits there. I hope this helps.
      I too had the start/stop function stop working and kept showing “unavailable” in the my car menu. Like TonyJag, very limited driving the previous 2-3 weeks, short trips only to grocery store. Then I was away, and car sat 4 days in garage while I was gone. It started right up after returning home, but the start/stop didn’t work for two days of short trip drives. I took it out the next day, drove about 35 minutes straight at highway speed. The start/stop in the my car menu showed green light=“available” after about 15 minutes at continuous highway speed. The start/stop has been back to functioning the last two days, so it appears the reduced driving over 3 weeks, then sitting 4 days was enough to cause the problem, but everything is back to normal now. I should add, my auxiliary battery failed at about 3 years old. My main battery is original and coming up on 6 years old end of June. I’m not sure if I’m pressing my luck on the main battery, as I expected it to go by now, but so far, so good. My vehicle is always garaged, heated garage in winter, so that’s probably helpful too.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements