Car wash and winter-to-summer wheel/tire switchover during COVID-19?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Car wash and winter-to-summer wheel/tire switchover during COVID-19?

I cannot wash my car at home (at least not with a real rinse) for several reasons.
      What are others doing as far as car washes and winter to summer wheel+tire switchovers during COVID-19 (either due to business being closed due to restrictions or in areas without restrictions for those not wanting to go out and risk getting infected)?

Options (for wheel+tire switchover):
      1. Take it to dealer and try to be careful re. exposure to COVID-19 - probably my best option I guess.
      2. Take it to Mavis nearby.
      3. Have one of the above pick up the car and drop it off (not ideal).

Car wash - There is always the rinseless wash at home method I guess.

Any options I am missing?
      Either way curious how others handled it and which precautions they used?
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had to get a set of Tirerack tires mounted a few weeks ago so I made an appointment for first thing in the morning (on a Sunday no less) and there was nobody in the waiting area so it was all good.

When I got back in the car to leave I wiped down the steering wheel, gear shift and other surfaces with an alcohol wipe I had in the car.

In your situation I think you'd be fine at either your dealer or a tire store provided you try to go at an off peak time. That's what I would do.

Regarding the car wash I'd probably go to a manual place and bring my own bucket and if it's not busy there take my time.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      I cannot wash my car at home (at least not with a real rinse) for several reasons.
      What are others doing as far as car washes and winter to summer wheel+tire switchovers during COVID-19 (either due to business being closed due to restrictions or in areas without restrictions for those not wanting to go out and risk getting infected)?

1. Take it to dealer and try to be careful re. exposure to COVID-19 - probably my best option I guess.

Every state is different but generally mechanics and car sales and repair are deemed essential. I have Discount Tires swap my summers and winters. Buy my tires there so they also mount my winters on steelies (picked up a cheap set) and summers on the stock Sadias. And rotate and balance as necessary.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Did tire swap a couple weeks back. Called Princeton dealer and appt arranged for the next day. I hung out in the empty showroom.
      Was told they now have pickup/dropoff service. I think it's called Volvo Valet.

Quote Originally Posted by tunahoagie1 View Post
      Did tire swap a couple weeks back. Called Princeton dealer and appt arranged for the next day. I hung out in the empty showroom.
      Was told they now have pickup/dropoff service. I think it's called Volvo Valet.
      Thanks Tunahoagie! Just out of curiosity, since this will be my first time going for this service, how much did they charge you? I assume it will cost more than STS where I used to go with my prior car, they always charged only $16 - $20 + tax each time for the wheels+tires swap) which I thought was extremely reasonable.

This winter, when I did the swap and had 4 new winter wheels + tires mounted and placed on the car, my summer wheels and tires were squeezed into the car by a dealer who somehow got them all 4 to fit in my S60 P*: 2 in trunk and 2 on the back seat; the 2 in the trunk fit extremely tightly (back seats were up to accommodate the 2 wheels and tires on the back seat).
      When removing them, I was scared to damage any overhead wiring or parts in the trunk. I wiggled the 2 wheels and tires in trunk to somehow get them out; luckily there was no damage to anything such as the trunk overhead wiring after a good deal of careful maneuvering to get them out.

Since this was my first winter with my P*, I had mentioned beforehand that if all 4 did not fit, we could pick up the other 2 wheels and tires separately. As noted above, they squeezed them in; given how tight the fit was, my wife and I will go with 2 cars and put 2 wheels + tires in each car, so we can have the back seats down in both cars to allow plenty of room for 2 tires and wheels peer car.
      This is a time when having a V70 P* would have been very helpful.
      Last edited by njdriver; 04-30-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks Tunahoagie! Just out of curiosity, since this will be my first time going for this service, how much did they charge you? I assume it will cost more than STS where I used to go with my prior car, they always charged only $16 - $20 + tax each time for the wheels+tires swap) which I thought was extremely reasonable.
      If you have tires mounted on wheels, Discount Tires will swap on winter / summers free. So long as you've bought tires there. I have steelies + hakka R3s for winter and Michelin AS/3 Pilot Sport Spring/Summer/Fall on stock Sadias. Michelin are TERRIBLE winter tires FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      If you have tires mounted on wheels, Discount Tires will swap on winter / summers free. So long as you've bought tires there. I have steelies + hakka R3s for winter and Michelin AS/3 Pilot Sport Spring/Summer/Fall on stock Sadias. Michelin are TERRIBLE winter tires FYI.
      Are you saying the Michelin AS/3 tires are bad in the snow? I've been running Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires for many many years and have loved all of them in really bad blizzard conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpolestar View Post
      Are you saying the Michelin AS/3 tires are bad in the snow? I've been running Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires for many many years and have loved all of them in really bad blizzard conditions.
      Yeah the michelin pilot alpin snow tires are awesome in winters. We see lots of snow any way below freezing in my part of Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpolestar View Post
      I'm saying the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ are GOD AWFUL in snow. Perfectly fine Summer, Spring, Fall Tire. I made the mistake a few times of running them too late in the season and getting hit in a snow storm. These tires instill ZERO confidence in handling on slick roads and should be called 3 Season Tires. I've been driving 20+ years and didn't just get my license. Thank god for Hakka R3s and my set of winter wheels.

FYI: My car is a 15.5 Volvo S60 FWD.

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
      Yeah the michelin pilot alpin snow tires are awesome in winters. We see lots of snow any way below freezing in my part of Canada.

I have had the Alpin PA4 on my prior car and now my 2018 S60 Polestar.
      I bought the package from a dealer: Four (4) 31408850 2015-2016 Polestar winter wheels and four (4) performance winter tires Michelin Alpin PA 4 235/40-R19 + 4 TPMS + mounting and balancing for a great price.
      Last edited by njdriver; 05-16-2020 at 10:01 PM.

I have had the Alpin PA4 on my prior car and now my 2018 S60 Polestar.
      I bought the package from a dealer: Four (4) 31408850 2015-2016 Polestar winter wheels and four (4) performance winter tires Michelin Alpin PA 4 235/40-R19 + 4 TPMS + balancing and mounting for a great price.
      Yeah I have the 235/40/19 PA4’s and they are awesome. I bought them 1 winter used for $250 for all 4. I got a smokin deal from an older gentleman who didn’t need them anymore. Throw them on my 19” rdesign wheels and added a 15mm spacer all around to clear the polestar brakes. They handed -40 and snow with ease.

Back to your original question:

1) Dropped off car wearing a mask + brought my own pen if needing to sign anything gave them my 2nd key
      2) Left car at dealer for 2 days intentionally - noticed mechanics all wearing masks and gloves + dealer on reduced staff levels and clients waiting at dealer
      3) Pick up time - brought a ziplock bag to put receipt and paper work + key in so I don't touch anything. I also wore a mask again
      4) Wiped down door handles in & out, steering wheel, paddles, shifter, all electronics knobs, seat (not as thorough) - disposed of wipe in tied plastic grocery bag
      5) Didn't drive my baby for a couple days once home...

Yeah, I'm paranoid...Probably didn't really need to do it. If I had gloves, likely would have worn them too.
      2017 V60 P*
      Armaspeed CF Air Box
      Heico Oiled Cotton Air Filter
      Do88 FMIC
      RICA engineering Stage 1 ECU Upgrade
      IPD Rear Sway Bar
      VST Rear Strut Tower Brace
      ERST Rear 4 Point Lower Bar

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite1994 View Post
      Back to your original question:

1) Dropped off car wearing a mask + brought my own pen if needing to sign anything gave them my 2nd key
      2) Left car at dealer for 2 days intentionally - noticed mechanics all wearing masks and gloves + dealer on reduced staff levels and clients waiting at dealer
      3) Pick up time - brought a ziplock bag to put receipt and paper work + key in so I don't touch anything. I also wore a mask again
      4) Wiped down door handles in & out, steering wheel, paddles, shifter, all electronics knobs, seat (not as thorough) - disposed of wipe in tied plastic grocery bag
      5) Didn't drive my baby for a couple days once home...

Yeah, I'm paranoid...Probably didn't really need to do it. If I had gloves, likely would have worn them too.
      I keep gloves in my car + mask + hand sanitizer. Everytime i go shopping, i will hand sanitize the gloves and then take them off and do my hands. Figure I can get a few uses out of the gloves with a couple drips of hand sanitizer. As I don't have limitless pairs.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements