2017 V60, Koni FSD Shocks Yay!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2017 V60, Koni FSD Shocks Yay!

If you haven't done this yet, replace your rear shocks with Koni FSD units. My wag only has 26k miles on it, and with 19 inch wheels (which I'm selling in another thread, link at bottom) the ride over bumps was starting to get on my nerves a bit, mainly because of the different in how the front end felt vs. the back end when traveling down the road.

I installed the 24.5mm rear sway bar by Elevate a few weeks before and it improved the handling a great deal, but at freeway speed, (LA area) a quick lane change or offramp turn made the rear end feel like it wanted to come around. In essence, made the front end feel a bit "darty". Now with the FSD's out back, the harshness of the rough city bumps is smoothed out dramatically, and the car handles very composed like, with the big sway bar out back.

In short, it's amazing and transformative for the ride quality and the handling. Don't wait, order from Tire Rack and they will be on your door step in about a week.

=)

Matt

19" R-design wheels/tires for sale: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ires-FS-x4-900
      Last edited by V50_Mattboy; 04-20-2020 at 12:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Replaced only the rears?

From a handling pespective, it seems like you are in uncharted waters there with a bigger rear bar and mismatched shocks.

Sven, the Volvo ride-and-handling engineer, having spent the better part of a year sorting through springs, bars, shocks, and bushings, would surely want to know if you can still pass the Moose Test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      We are running a 20% off sale for Koni shocks through the end of the month!
      https://www.vivaperformance.com/brands/Koni.html

Most kits are in stock and ready to ship

Support small businesses!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Replaced only the rears?

From a handling pespective, it seems like you are in uncharted waters there with a bigger rear bar and mismatched shocks.

Sven, the Volvo ride-and-handling engineer, having spent the better part of a year sorting through springs, bars, shocks, and bushings, would surely want to know if you can still pass the Moose Test.

From recent experience doing the Special Active rears first and then the fronts a few days later the apparent mis-match isn't an issue, at least on my RD XC60.

And from the same experience doing the rears are a h*ll of a lot easier than the fronts.
      Last edited by Azlkk; 04-20-2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: corrected name
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. Koni Special Active struts/shocks, IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

Yep, replaced only the rears because the rebound was freakin' shot! The front end will be next, but for now is tolerable.

Not in uncharted territory. I've been around cars and bikes for over 30 years and trust me, I can tell what a car is doing by the seat of my pants.

The first gen V50 I had was set up by yours truly w/urethane bushings in the rear, Koni adjustable yellows all round, and was an absolute blast to drive!

I've only had the V60 since end of Dec. so I'm just getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Replaced only the rears?

Good news. This will be my next upgrade.

Nice prices from Viva, although shipping from US and the exchange rate is going to kill me.
      2015.5 V60 T5e - Various suspension and P* bits

Quote Originally Posted by V50_Mattboy View Post
      If you haven't done this yet, replace your rear shocks with Koni FSD units. My wag only has 26k miles on it, and with 19 inch wheels (which I'm selling in another thread, link at bottom) the ride over bumps was starting to get on my nerves a bit, mainly because of the different in how the front end felt vs. the back end when traveling down the road.

I installed the 24.5mm rear sway bar by Elevate a few weeks before and it improved the handling a great deal, but at freeway speed, (LA area) a quick lane change or offramp turn made the rear end feel like it wanted to come around. In essence, made the front end feel a bit "darty". Now with the FSD's out back, the harshness of the rough city bumps is smoothed out dramatically, and the car handles very composed like, with the big sway bar out back.

In short, it's amazing and transformative for the ride quality and the handling. Don't wait, order from Tire Rack and they will be on your door step in about a week.

=)

Matt

19" R-design wheels/tires for sale: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ires-FS-x4-900
      Glad to read this. I had them on my wish list since I installed the Eibach Prokit. Rear is harsh and transmits every crack and joint.
      Koni mentions that they are also suitable for slightly lowered cars so all good.
      Bright Silver 2015.5 V60, T6 3.0 AWD, P* tune, Simons Touring Catback, Eibach ProKit, various retrofits including adaptive OE xenon

You won't be disappointed. It's amazing how they soak up rolling over cracks in pavement as we all know how hard low profile tires are on the ride if not set up properly.

The ride is pretty harsh in the back on my car. If I were keeping it much longer I would definitely consider the Koni.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Ordered a pair Yesterday. Will report once installed.
      Bright Silver 2015.5 V60, T6 3.0 AWD, P* tune, Simons Touring Catback, Eibach ProKit, various retrofits including adaptive OE xenon

I've been very impressed with the ride over rough pavement even with 20" rims and handling is even crisper with the Konis. Been having a lot of fun on the canyons over on the coast. Almost worth the major PITA doing the fronts.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. Koni Special Active struts/shocks, IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

Installed them this afternoon. Quite easy, only challenge is getting the M14 bolt going.

AMAZING improvement ! Now it feels like the rear matches the front. Huge reduction in 'crashiness' over joints and small bumps.
      Having known that, I would have made the switch a long time ago. Car is noticeably more comfortable.

While there, I removed the wheel well liner to clean the accumulated dirt and gave the calipers a fresh coat of paint.

I wish I was onto those when I replaced my shocks and struts almost two years ago. I used Bilsteins and am not too impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef1 View Post
      Installed them this afternoon. Quite easy, only challenge is getting the M14 bolt going.

AMAZING improvement ! Now it feels like the rear matches the front. Huge reduction in 'crashiness' over joints and small bumps.
      Having known that, I would have made the switch a long time ago. Car is noticeably more comfortable.

While there, I removed the wheel well liner to clean the accumulated dirt and gave the calipers a fresh coat of paint.
      Who did you buy them through? Not finding many dealer sin Canada
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/APATuned DownPipe/AirBox Mods/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Who did you buy them through? Not finding many dealer sin Canada
      Ordered direct from Koni with 20% rebate going on.
      Free Fedex Shipping to Canada so I was expecting the total (taxes, duties and brokerage) but to my surprise they left the package at my front door.
      Wonder if I'll get an invoice later...?

These the ones you gents are talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine were similar but for the XC60 from The Tire Rack. Big difference though was they shipped and arrived within a week, not 3-4 weeks as I found on other sites like the one above.

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post

These the ones you gents are talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Yes.

BTW I paid 106.14USD each and they shipped next day... Koni direct.

Free Fedex Shipping to Canada so I was expecting the total (taxes, duties and brokerage) but to my surprise they left the package at my front door.
      Thanks!! Just ordered a set for XC
      Last edited by BellevilleV70; 05-04-2020 at 07:43 PM.
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/APATuned DownPipe/AirBox Mods/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

Got mine yest for the XC....looking forward to see how they work. Also no bill for taxes/duty etc....suprised
      Mopar Tech

Thanks for the info, great improvement in ride! I'll know more on if any decrease in handling, over the next bit. Did try some very rapid left/right transitions, and it feels very good. Wife has been bitching about the ride of the back over bumps for 3 years and she loves it now. Money well spent!
      Mopar Tech

Are you guys replacing the rears yourselves or taking it to a mechanic?

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      Are you guys replacing the rears yourselves or taking it to a mechanic?
      Mechanic....myself! But seriously, its an easy job
      Mopar Tech

Rears, yes. Fronts, not quite. For a very simple basic front setup it's a major PITA, even if there's not salt corrosion to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Got mine yest for the XC....looking forward to see how they work. Also no bill for taxes/duty etc....suprised
      Got a nice bill from Fedex in the mail today. Our wallets will get lighter, 71.19$ with QC sale taxes.

Got a nice bill from Fedex in the mail today. Our wallets will get lighter, 71.19$ with QC sale taxes.
      Well crap.....lol
      Mopar Tech

Mine are getting installed today on our S60CC project.

2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Well, thank you gentlemen! I installed rear Konis along with new mounts on my V60 over the weekend. Happy to report the back definitely feels better over bumps, a lot less nose dive when braking too. Overall the job was pretty easy, the biggest PITA was breaking loose those 18mm bolts. The old shocks, with 70K miles on them, weren't in as bad a shape as I expected, however did compress a lot easier vs. new koni. Dust covers looked great so I just cleaned and reused. Nice little project!
      2015.5 Volvo V60 T5e w/Polestar

Junior Member Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks's Avatar
      Everyone running FSDs, or do folks on here have Sports too?...wondering which setting to use on the Sports.
      2015.5 Volvo S80 T6 Platinum AWD - Savile Gray Metallic / Off Black In Anthracite - 117,XXX

Titania Diamond Cut and Black Stone - Vredestein Quadrac 5 235/45/18

ISO - One used Fortuna, round, preferably Light Gray

Glad to hear all of the positive input on the FSDs, especially since I ordered a set a few days ago and am eagerly awaiting delivery lol...

Chris, how did yours turn out?
      Last edited by Rrrracer; 06-29-2020 at 01:14 PM.
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

Got my bill for 83$....thats some expensive shocks
      Mopar Tech

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements