OEM Trailer Hitch Installed w/pictures - 2020 V60 CC
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I've added the North American market OEM trailer hitch to my V60 Cross Country. There's not a lot of detailed information out there on this hitch; in the interest of helping the next guy, here's everything I know.

Installed price: $1807: parts $1311, labor $348, shop fee $25; sales tax $123 (dealership installation, April 2020)
      Receiver size: 1 1/4"
      Receiver height (top inside edge to ground): 14 1/4"
      Ball height with factory tow bar (top of ball to ground): 17 3/4"
      Electrical connector: 7 pin round (fixed to receiver ... no additional cable)

The hitch is completely invisible when stowed ... no trace of it shows. I'll add pictures to this thread from a few different angles.

The OEM hitch kit includes software to map the hitch to the V60's stability control and dash warning lights. A new hitch release switch is mounted just inside the cargo area on the right rear side panel. Pressing the switch releases the hitch and it swings down from the vehicle. Pull the hitch up by hand into the towing position and it locks firmly/positively in place. Stowing the hitch is the reverse of this process; press the release switch, and swing the hitch into stowed position. The tow bar is a one-piece bar/ball combo with a 2" ball and 1/2" diameter hitch pin connection. It must be removed from the receiver before moving the hitch to the stowed position. It comes with a storage bag to keep it rattle-free and wedges into the wheel well that holds the spare tire.

For my application (Yakima Rack and Roll trailer), I need a 22" ball height. Replacing the tow bar with a 5" riser and 2" ball (about $35 total) will get me to a 21 1/4" ball height. That's as close as I can come to 22" ... I can't find a riser greater than 5" for a 1 1/4" receiver. I also need a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter which can handle LED lights (about $25) to connect my trailer's lighting. The Yakima trailer has LED lights and uses a flat 4 connector.

Although the hitch is expensive, it was only $100 more than a local custom shop quoted for an installed Stealth rack/tow combo with active software, and Stealth doesn't seem to offer a hitch riser greater than 2 1/2". The Stealth comes with a 2" receiver, but the unbraked towing capacity of the V60 CC is only 1650 lbs. 1 1/4" hitches like the OEM hitch can handle that load easily. My Yakima trailer loaded with two fishing kayaks weighs 350 lbs, including the trailer. Bottom line: I felt the benefits of Volvo's own software and a factory/dealer warranty on the install was easily worth the $100 difference in price.

I'll add to this post after I've had a few months of experience towing with my V60 CC.
      2020 V60 Cross Country | Advanced, Luxury, CC Pro packages

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done!
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Very nice. Is there support for electric trailer brakes or is the rating for a braked trailer strictly referring to over-run brakes?
      Current: 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, Amber
      Past: 2015.5 V60 T5 AWD, Savile Grey, Beechwood.
      Past: 2011 V50 AWD, Savile Grey
      First: 1978 245DL - Orange, Tan

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      Very nice. Is there support for electric trailer brakes or is the rating for a braked trailer strictly referring to over-run brakes?
      I'm not sure. My trailer doesn't have brakes so I didn't investigate that aspect. Volvo publishes a braked trailer load capability so I assume so (https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp...d-towball-load). It's been really hard to find reliable info on the hitch and the V60's towing capabilities. Even Volvo USA's customer support couldn't tell me something as simple as ball height with the tow bar installed.

Now that I have a working 7pin to 4pin adapter, I can see some towing features show up in the driver display. Starting the vehicle with the trailer connected brings up a trailer light diagnostic on the display. You can execute it or skip it. Executing it begins a timed cycle of trailer light testing; running lights, turn signals, brake lights. I believe the system will also warn me of a trailer tail light failure. The adapter I am using is the Reese Trailer Connector Adapter w/ LED Circuit Tester and Dust Cover - 7-Pole to 4-Pole or 5-Pole. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Reese/78118.html This fits the Volvo hitch plug perfectly and locks in place with a tab on the underside of the hitch's spring-loaded connector cover.

With or without the adapter, I can also see a warning in the driver display if the hitch itself isn't fully deployed/stowed/locked in place.
      Last edited by 97redz3; 04-23-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      Yes, the 9 pin supports electric trailer brakes. I would recommend a wireless trailer brake so you won't need to run wires from the controller to the hitch.
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

Here’s the final setup ... the 5” rise tow bar brings the ball height to 21.25”.

Last edited by 97redz3; 06-04-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 97redz3 View Post
      Here’s the final setup ... the 5” rise tow bar brings the ball height to 21.25”.
      Nice. Almost makes me glad I ordered mine with the OEM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by MDicnMan; 05-09-2020 at 11:37 PM.

2018 V60 Cross Country Compatible

Hi 97redz3 or anyone else on this thread; any idea if this hitch for your 2020 is similar to what the 2018 one looks like?

I was told that there is a model specific hitch for my 2018 V60 CC and that it does not take a 2" adapter, it's a ball only so won't work with a bike rack, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by canned_ham View Post
      Hi 97redz3 or anyone else on this thread; any idea if this hitch for your 2020 is similar to what the 2018 one looks like?

I was told that there is a model specific hitch for my 2018 V60 CC and that it does not take a 2" adapter, it's a ball only so won't work with a bike rack, etc.
      I think the hitch I have is unique to the 2020 MY. There are good 3rd party options for your car to get a receiver.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_Volvo_V60.htm

Last edited by 97redz3; 05-28-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Now that I have a working 7pin to 4pin adapter, I can see some towing features show up in the driver display. Starting the vehicle with the trailer connected brings up a trailer light diagnostic on the display. You can execute it or skip it. Executing it begins a timed cycle of trailer light testing; running lights, turn signals, brake lights. I believe the system will also warn me of a trailer tail light failure. The adapter I am using is the Reese Trailer Connector Adapter w/ LED Circuit Tester and Dust Cover - 7-Pole to 4-Pole or 5-Pole. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Reese/78118.html This fits the Volvo hitch plug perfectly and locks in place with a tab on the underside of the hitch's spring-loaded connector cover.

With or without the adapter, I can also see a warning in the driver display if the hitch itself isn't fully deployed/stowed/locked in place.
      Hi, sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but why did you need to get the adapter if you went the OEM route? I'm trying to figure out what wiring harness to get if I go the aftermarket route and what i've heard from my local trailer shop is that they would need to splice the wiring kit into the car's wiring as it's not a perfect fit for the system. I don't want to go that route, but am curious if there are any aftermarket options that plug in easily to the Volvo system. Do you happen to know which wiring kit they used? Thanks!

Do you have a hitch mounted bike rack? Curious to see if the rack will have the wheels right behind the exhaust.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

Quote Originally Posted by canned_ham View Post
      Hi, sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but why did you need to get the adapter if you went the OEM route? I'm trying to figure out what wiring harness to get if I go the aftermarket route and what i've heard from my local trailer shop is that they would need to splice the wiring kit into the car's wiring as it's not a perfect fit for the system. I don't want to go that route, but am curious if there are any aftermarket options that plug in easily to the Volvo system. Do you happen to know which wiring kit they used? Thanks!
      I needed an adapter because my trailer (Yakima Rack and Roll) has a flat 4 pin connector. The OEM hitch has a round 7 pin receptacle built into it. The adapter allows the flat 4 trailer connector to plug into the 7 pin OEM receptacle.

I didn’t order a wiring harness separately, as everything was included in the OEM hitch package. If you look at the hitch package detail ( https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...0AWD/Automatic ) you’ll see all the package components and part numbers.

This is one of many reasons I went OEM. I’m not an expert on trailers, hitches, wiring, etc. and wasn’t sure of the warranty implications of splicing into the car’s wiring.

Last edited by 97redz3; 05-29-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
      Do you have a hitch mounted bike rack? Curious to see if the rack will have the wheels right behind the exhaust.

Yes I do. I carry a long wheel base recumbent bike on an extra-wide “wheel hoop” rack ... the kind you set your bike on vs hang from the top tube. So mine rides low, and yes, the wheels (part of them anyway) are right behind the exhaust.

Yes I do. I carry a long wheel base recumbent bike on an extra-wide “wheel hoop” rack ... the kind you set your bike on vs hang from the top tube. So mine rides low, and yes, the wheels (part of them anyway) are right behind the exhaust.

Thanks. Ill need to look at a riser than. I've got carbon wheels and don't want the exhaust to break them.

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
      Thanks. Ill need to look at a riser than. I've got carbon wheels and don't want the exhaust to break them.

I checked this morning before my ride. Here’s where my rack sits. Mine has a little built-in rise and I don’t use the inner mounts so lots of space between bike and car.

Last edited by 97redz3; 05-30-2020 at 10:03 AM.

I checked this morning before my ride. Here’s where my rack sits. Mine has a little built in rise and I don’t use the inner mounts so lots of space between bike and car.

those pictures help a lot. If my bike sits that far away it should be fine. I can't imagine the heat being bad that distance from the exhaust.

Have you noticed that the OEM hitch says 3500lbs on it? Interesting since the limit is 2000 in the US and 3900 or so everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It’s interesting that the dealership did not know the proper placement for the hitch switch. Great write up otherwise thanks for sharing.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

I’ve now had a few months of experience with the Volvo hitch and thought I’d share a few observations.

I use the hitch 2-3 times per week. Operation has been flawless during this time. Although a folding/disappearing hitch is total overkill, I really like this damn thing. It connects effortlessly and solidly ... no concerns at all in this area. I love not seeing a hitch when it’s not in use.

The hitch itself is completely silent. The only rattling I hear is the tow bar/trailer connection. The 1 1/4” receiver size has not been restrictive; I found a suitable tow bar for my kayak trailer, and converted my bike rack to 1 1/4”. I’ve found good locking options for the tow bar, bike rack, and trailer.

The integration of the hitch with vehicle electronics and safety systems is impressive. I particularly like being presented with the option of safety checking trailer lighting when I start the car. Fortunately, I haven’t had any experience with stability control compensating for trailer problems but it’s good to know it’s there.

I’m completely satisfied with the hitch and recommend it for light towing applications.

Last edited by 97redz3; 07-30-2020 at 08:06 AM.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements