CWH11's Adventure XC70
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking CWH11's Adventure XC70

So first I would like to say thank you to everyone on here who has indirectly helped me. I would have been in worse shape with my XC70 than I am now. Thanks! Second, I am really really new to this posting a project and breaking my inhibitions on expressing myself to a public audience (especially for something that is really near and dear to my heart, my family's Volvo's have helped me through some dark times, so there may be some self-deprecation in my giant posts, if this gets green-lit). So please be patient with me, (or don't, I'll still respect you for what you say, your call) and since this is during the Covid-19 Pandemic, I would like to wish you, your loved ones, and all the people who have to work during this that you are all healthy, and that we can look back at this post in the (hopeful) not so near future, and think "glad that's over".

Now that I got all that emotional stuff and other things out of the way, lets start with the goal, then the back story of my self and my car, and what has been done so far. So please, give me your thoughts and suggestions, your experiences, and everything in between. ( PS it probably wont follow this order Also, prepare for bad humor, some typos, and some errors.) Cheers!

Goal/backstory:
      Ever since I was little, there was always a Volvo Wagon in my life, and when my mom had her 03 XC70, I wanted to make it into a near replica of ipd's XC70R All Terrain, but instead of the metallic orange, it would have stayed the stone black that her car was. Fast forward a 13 years, and 137,000 miles later, the transmission went (we weren't really gear heads so my mom got her 2016 S60) and I when I got my permit, I got a Chrysler Pacifica... (good car, it really didn't care if it got hit, but when something stupid broke, it BROKE) I had finally had enough of its stupidity, and traded it in on my current car, (lighting round for the specs, GO) 2012 Volvo XC70 with the 3.2 with AWD, premier package (I think?), flamenco red exterior and bright? cream? tan? interior leather, and I got it at 102k and I'm almost on 105k.(and yes, i know extremely well i would have a LOT of fun with a t5 or t6, but im already attached to it, so unless, someone has a free totaled half cut t5 or t6 with nearly the same mileage and wants to help me Frankenstein it to my car, not gonna sell it) (PS here's the VIN, have fun: YV4940BZXC1119192)

Okay, so I don't want to do everything that ipd did to their XC70R, buttttttttttt, it would be nice for some of the things (no particular order):
      A light bar on my roof and my inspiration on type is from Mynameideasweretaken's V50 (rip for the car, and hi Michael, I'd check him out if you haven't yet he is awesome, he is kind of the reason I was inspired into actually doing this in the first place)
      A roof rack which I am conflicted on, either Thule, or a over landing rack that is almost the length of the rails, and that I can mount the aforementioned light bar to, and some CB antennas to.
      The TFT cluster swap that Volvosweden (also pretty good, I'd check him out if you haven't) did to his 09 XC70, and since D5T5 and Swedespeed have a lot of documentation I will probably do it.
      The entire shifter handle/mechanism upgrade ( on the fence, I may just change the knob instead to the R design) that is seen in the s60 and s80 threads
      A suspension lift: (MAYBE)
      an IPD skid-tray (will happen)
      upgrade all interior bulbs to LED
      do some graphic work on the rear side windows
      upgrade from my tires to some Goodyear at3 tires (or something that fits and has a somewhat aggressive tread, not knobby, but somewhat aggressive)
      add a rear 12 volt jack, and make a rear cargo area power system with ac inverter outlets
      power tailgate (I would really love to do this, within reason)
      remote start (I have vida and the dice tool, if someone in DM's can answer my questions on VDASH, or possibly get me the individual software for my remote start, also I don't have the PCC)
      upgrade the sensus to have nav, voice commands, and some possible homebrew goodies (this is really pushing my knowledge of programming)
      and probably a few other things

whats done so far? welllllllll the passenger seat OWS cushion was replaced (yay, a lot of money for something that would just be a slight annoyance for others), the day of this post I replaced the battery. I painted the "XC' in the cecino rims black, replaced the center caps with the older black ones that just say "VOLVO" that (could be wrong) P80s, P1s, and early P2s had.
      mounted a gopro hero session 4 to the rear view mirror arm area below city safety parts.
      mounted a swedespeed plate frame (which is amazing)
      slapped some stickers and mounted a Sweden badge to the grille, and that's about it.

ok, so lets go over my background:
      I'm a community college student, majoring in IT (I'm really good at building machines, programming is ehh, and servers and stuff like that I'm comfortable with)
      I'm 20, live with my parents, work just at much as i do school, but I'm also a PC gaming guy, ( I know sounds like a bad dating profile bio)
      My ADD and ADHD have pretty much helped me obsessively research the life out of everything Volvo related (granted I'm flaky, I had a Chrysler for like 4 years, so of course I lost some knowledge)
      I'm really good with computers, which if anyone needs help finding cheap computers, or needs some hardware help with computers, just DM me, I'm more than welcome to help anyone on here.

Ok, I'm done talking for now, if you made it this far, you are braver than i for reading all "that", but thank you, and I would love to hear your thoughts
      Stay safe!
      Charlie

Also this is a possible mod question, but how can I post pictures?
      I kinda feel stupid asking.
      Last edited by CWH11; 04-27-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: wrong VIN number (was my moms S60)
      "They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants. Not here. At Aperture, we do all our science from scratch, no hand holding." Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Past vehicle- 2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD in Snow White
      Current vehicle- 2012 Volvo XC70 3.2 AWD in Flamenco Red

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

CWH11's Adventure XC70

Welcome ! Nice intro...

First mod: get the TAPATALK app.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      Welcome ! Nice intro...

First mod: get the TAPATALK app.

Just installed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      "They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants. Not here. At Aperture, we do all our science from scratch, no hand holding." Cave Johnson, Portal 2

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Here are some pictures in no particular order, the one where its parked on stone is the first picture, the one parked by the water is my latest one. And the one showing the rear also photobombs my moms S60. Cheers!

And a picture of the wheel, showing the cap and the blacked out "XC" (and the volvo air valve caps, forgot to mention that)

Last edited by CWH11; 04-26-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH11 View Post
      And a picture of the wheel, showing the cap and the blacked out "XC"

Get the SPA cap...you are going back in time. Downgrades iso upgrades...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

While a agree, its more of a nostalgia thing for me, these caps remind me of my mom's P2. Plus i still have the caps that came with the car, albeit a bit gross.

Also thanks for suggesting taptalk. This app is great! And since I have been on here I have always seen your car, and have to say it looks amazing! Thanks again!

Also thanks for suggesting taptalk. This app is great! And since I have been on here I have always seen your car, and have to say it looks amazing! Thanks again!

Kind words. Thank you. Keep those pics coming bud. Keep the P3 alive!!

Thanks for sharing young man, nice looking car! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

You're a gamer... what are ya playing these days?

Apologies, I'm a legendary thread derailer LOL
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrracer View Post
      Thanks for sharing young man, nice looking car! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

You're a gamer... what are ya playing these days?

Apologies, I'm a legendary thread derailer LOL
      lol DERAIL, nah youre fine, if you want heres my discord id: CWH11#4013
      Sim stuff, gta, some other things, im always on discord,
      also if anyone wants, PM me for a copy of the volvo game, im planning on modding it so multiplayer works again (or im going to try)

Nice; I picked up GTA V after it finally went on sale on Steam a couple years back (because I'm cheap like that LOL) and still play it here and there for the kicks... too much fun. Got about 40 hours in on the latest iteration of No Man's Sky (again on sale!) A huge time soak but have been enjoying it a lot.

If you figure out how to get remote start on our cars, ya better let me know... don't think it's available except on the very latest P3s.
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

lol DERAIL, nah youre fine, if you want heres my discord id: CWH11#4013
      Sim stuff, gta, some other things, im always on discord,
      also if anyone wants, PM me for a copy of the volvo game, im planning on modding it so multiplayer works again (or im going to try)
      Play LoL?
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Play LoL?
      I dont but I have friends who do.

Hey Charlie! Welcome

Love the idea you're after with the XC70. I came from an overland background (previous cars) but it's seeped into my current XC90 - check out the Thule Canyon basket with the extended section installed. It's big enough for the roof and holds a ton of crap. They're a little pricey but Thule products have never let me down. Plus, they belong on Swedish cars If you're after more of a budget-friendly option, the Rhino Rack products are awesome and the Yakima racks are well-built, but blasphemous and belong on Subarus.

For tires, check out the Yokohama Geolandars. I've had them on a few cars now, they're winter rated, and super tough for what they are.

Looking forward to more of the Adventure XC!

Quote Originally Posted by BKXC90 View Post
      Hey Charlie! Welcome

Love the idea you're after with the XC70. I came from an overland background (previous cars) but it's seeped into my current XC90 - check out the Thule Canyon basket with the extended section installed. It's big enough for the roof and holds a ton of crap. They're a little pricey but Thule products have never let me down. Plus, they belong on Swedish cars If you're after more of a budget-friendly option, the Rhino Rack products are awesome and the Yakima racks are well-built, but blasphemous and belong on Subarus.

For tires, check out the Yokohama Geolandars. I've had them on a few cars now, they're winter rated, and super tough for what they are.

Looking forward to more of the Adventure XC!
      already found the tires thanks to you. YES!!!!!!!!!! (now i just have to wait for mine to wear out)

going to bookmark the roof rack and LOL on the subaru part, may have to get one for our forester.

thanks for the advice!

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      A light bar on my roof and my inspiration on type is from Mynameideasweretaken's V50 (rip for the car, and hi Michael, I'd check him out if you haven't yet he is awesome, he is kind of the reason I was inspired into actually doing this in the first place)

And a picture of the wheel, showing the cap and the blacked out "XC" (and the volvo air valve caps, forgot to mention that)
      Just a pet peeve, but align your center cap so that "VOLVO" reads in line with "XC."

Get the SPA cap...you are going back in time. Downgrades iso upgrades...

Looks like you just slapped those in there. Fun fact: You know your wheels were put on my an attentive technician or a Volvo person who cares if they aligned the arrow of the Volvo logo to point towards the valve stem. This is the same in the Porsche scene; Porsche technicians are trained to always install the center caps so that the tip of the crest points to the valve stem. This makes it easier to quickly locate the valves for on grid pressure adjustments and it's a key teller if someone had their tires mounted by a non-manufacturer certified employee (or a lazy tech).

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post

Just a pet peeve, but align your center cap so that "VOLVO" reads in line with "XC."

Looks like you just slapped those in there. Fun fact: You know your wheels were put on my an attentive technician or a Volvo person who cares if they aligned the arrow of the Volvo logo to point towards the valve stem. This is the same in the Porsche scene; Porsche technicians are trained to always install the center caps so that the tip of the crest points to the valve stem. This makes it easier to quickly locate the valves for on grid pressure adjustments and it's a key teller if someone had their tires mounted by a non-manufacturer certified employee (or a lazy tech).

I love it! The smaller the detail the bigger the devil. Thanks. Will adjust.

That's really interesting information. I will have to do that when I get the chance. Thanks!

Also, fun fact, a BIC pen cap and a small screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape pops out the caps, at least on the cecino rims.

I have thought of getting TELLUS rims and puttling winter tires on them, I know CECINO rims have a 50MM offset, while TELLUS rims have 49MM, now i know putting those rims on a P3 car is considered heraicy but its the same effect as with the silver on black "VOLVO" Caps, bit of nostalgia and some wanting to be different flair. Would losing 1MM in offset hit the brakes, cause tire rub, or anything?

I have thought of getting TELLUS rims and puttling winter tires on them, I know CECINO rims have a 50MM offset, while TELLUS rims have 49MM, now i know putting those rims on a P3 car is considered heraicy but its the same effect as with the silver on black "VOLVO" Caps, bit of nostalgia and some wanting to be different flair. Would losing 1MM in offset hit the brakes, cause tire rub, or anything?
      1mm offset difference won't be an issue but hub center bore will need to be addressed if you want to run Tellus wheels. All P3 cars have a 63.4mm hub center bore while the P2 and P80 generations have 65.1mm so you would need centering rings. I have a set so they're not that hard to come by.

I use a small suction cup to remove the smooth center caps.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      1mm offset difference won't be an issue but hub center bore will need to be addressed if you want to run Tellus wheels. All P3 cars have a 63.4mm hub center bore while the P2 and P80 generations have 65.1mm so you would need centering rings. I have a set so they're not that hard to come by.

I use a small suction cup to remove the smooth center caps.
      Ok, that makes sense, my follow up question is this, i was thinking of doing the iPd wheel stud conversion, is it wise or should I just stick to the bolt version? (Also thanks for the ring sizes, I have a machinist friend who would be able to make that for me.)

okay, so i have a question, what trim is my car and what packages does it have? (really stupid i know, but i cant figure it out for the life of me) heres my VIN: YV4940BZXC1119192
      i ask this because i saw BHteam's XC70 2013 OEM Navigation Integration/Hack/Retrofit DIY/Story link and i want to figure out my car,
      i know that the 1119192 is my chassis number, and thats all i know

Just my 2cents. T5 or T6- D5 or D6...3.2, who realy cares. Doing mods means you go for looks and I think that is a good thing and a great hobby to have.

The XC70, whatever engine, looks 5x better with 2 mods only, not kidding. Well in my opinion at least:

1-Dual exhaust, that is to say ...visible ...&...
      2-Side Scuff, it makes a world of difference.

For me these are the two pillars to build on. Almost like a foundation.

Mudflaps x4 are next followed by a roofspoiler.
      I know; High cost for that spoiler but imho it makes the XC stand out big time. Next, wingshaped roof bars. The rest of the upgrades (Centercaps/Led interior/IPD sway/2016 badges etc) will only look better on this solid foundation.

Hope it helps you a bit with the lovely journey you just started. Be safe. Drive safe.

By the way did you detail your car yet? Claybar, polish, and ceramic coat etc. Easy to do and not expensive. Makes it super easy to maintain (clean) the car from that moment on...So many things to talk about.

okay, so i have a question, what trim is my car and what packages does it have? (really stupid i know, but i cant figure it out for the life of me) heres my VIN: YV4940BZXC1119192
      i ask this because i saw BHteam's XC70 2013 OEM Navigation Integration/Hack/Retrofit DIY/Story link and i want to figure out my car,
      I think on the sticker in the rear door it gives the trim. Mine (EU) gives: SUMMUM. Not sure USA, have a look.

I think on the sticker in the rear door it gives the trim. Mine (EU) gives: SUMMUM. Not sure USA, have a look.

Thats the thing, it just says XC70, V O L V O, and AWD, like my moms S60 is a T5 and a premier ( 2016 drive-e with FWD) but just shows the S60, V O L V O, and T5 badges

oh im sorry i mis read, you mean like a serial plate? on a passenger door?

On Volvo's website is a section for owner's manuals and brochures. Here is the brochure for your year:

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...T-brochure.pdf

Check out page 29. I am guessing that your car is a 3.2 AWD Premier with some options. Dealers in northern climates may not order cars with the full climate package but with just heated front seats.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

oh im sorry i mis read, you mean like a serial plate? on a passenger door?
      Yes.. perhaps. Rear door. Sticker more then anything.

Not in US market cars.

ok so i have the premier with climate pack

any remote chance possible with adding navigation? (and the tech package?, probably not)

this is amazing info, i should have looked through some books in the attic, i used to collect the XC70 brochures ( i REALLY liked the XC70 OBSESSIVELY)

ok so i have the premier with climate pack

any remote chance possible with adding navigation? (and the tech package?, probably not)

this is amazing info, i should have looked through some books in the attic, i used to collect the XC70 brochures ( i REALLY liked the XC70 OBSESSIVELY)
      I suppose anything's possible with money but adding a dated navigation system and tech package would be pretty cost prohibitive. If you really wanted those options then it would be much cheaper to sell your car and find one with them already.

CWH11's Adventure XC70

Navigation system is terrible on the P3. I was lost one day and I still am. Get the best phone clip ever and let GOOGLE do the talking...

Mine pops out of the dash... outdated tbh.

fair point from the both of you, i guess i will just do my other plan

I have side-loaded some stuff to an android tablet: torque pro, android auto, some other stuff

That's about it though, was recommended another app by Peter1234

besides me owning a dice and using roxanaschram's Vida, this is the OBDII reader I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works good with a lot of cars (worked with my piece-o-shat Chrysler, my Ford work truck, and of course, my Volvo)

but to be honest, out of all the electronic mods to be done,id plan on adding the 12 volt jack to the rear, and then add an inverter, which I have a jackery pack( really useful for those tailgaters and adventurers, this is the link of the one i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that, the lightbars, the cb stuff, interior leds, maybe some dedicated wireless phone charging behind the waterfall dash, and i already added some google assistant abilites which works great with my car capability:https://goroav.com/pages/bolt

like i said before, i was going to follow the style of light bar Mynameideasweretaken used, but im possibly leaning towards this one if i cant find a pod light setup that is cheaper, https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...nce-cab-lights

the only other thing i was thinking of doing was a front lightbar, something small, on the lower grille, maybe this https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...earance-lights

honestly, im not sure.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast