CWH11's Adventure XC70 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      Just my 2cents. T5 or T6- D5 or D6...3.2, who realy cares. Doing mods means you go for looks and I think that is a good thing and a great hobby to have.

The XC70, whatever engine, looks 5x better with 2 mods only, not kidding. Well in my opinion at least:

1-Dual exhaust, that is to say ...visible ...&...
      2-Side Scuff, it makes a world of difference.

For me these are the two pillars to build on. Almost like a foundation.

Mudflaps x4 are next followed by a roofspoiler.
      I know; High cost for that spoiler but imho it makes the XC stand out big time. Next, wingshaped roof bars. The rest of the upgrades (Centercaps/Led interior/IPD sway/2016 badges etc) will only look better on this solid foundation.

Hope it helps you a bit with the lovely journey you just started. Be safe. Drive safe.

By the way did you detail your car yet? Claybar, polish, and ceramic coat etc. Easy to do and not expensive. Makes it super easy to maintain (clean) the car from that moment on...So many things to talk about.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro
      That advice means a lot to me, thank you. also, did you use silver for the "XC" on the rails? i was going to do mine in red, but after trying that with the wheels, and then switching to black, i'm thinking about the silver.
      Last edited by CWH11; 04-27-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
      "They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants. Not here. At Aperture, we do all our science from scratch, no hand holding." Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Past vehicle- 2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD in Snow White
      Current vehicle- 2012 Volvo XC70 3.2 AWD in Flamenco Red

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

also, wow, im amazed i never thought i would get to two pages ( i know it sounds weird, but i thought this would have died like same day)

also to Crossing Countries, I haven't detailed my car, i should though, what products do you recommend?
      Last edited by CWH11; 04-28-2020 at 09:13 AM.
      "They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants. Not here. At Aperture, we do all our science from scratch, no hand holding." Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post

Just a pet peeve, but align your center cap so that "VOLVO" reads in line with "XC."

Looks like you just slapped those in there. Fun fact: You know your wheels were put on my an attentive technician or a Volvo person who cares if they aligned the arrow of the Volvo logo to point towards the valve stem. This is the same in the Porsche scene; Porsche technicians are trained to always install the center caps so that the tip of the crest points to the valve stem. This makes it easier to quickly locate the valves for on grid pressure adjustments and it's a key teller if someone had their tires mounted by a non-manufacturer certified employee (or a lazy tech).

Huh, my last set was loose enough they'd rotate after driving so they never stayed aligned
      (never fell out though)
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CWH11 View Post
      fair point from the both of you, i guess i will just do my other plan

I have side-loaded some stuff to an android tablet: torque pro, android auto, some other stuff

That's about it though, was recommended another app by Peter1234

besides me owning a dice and using roxanaschram's Vida, this is the OBDII reader I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works good with a lot of cars (worked with my piece-o-shat Chrysler, my Ford work truck, and of course, my Volvo)

but to be honest, out of all the electronic mods to be done,id plan on adding the 12 volt jack to the rear, and then add an inverter, which I have a jackery pack( really useful for those tailgaters and adventurers, this is the link of the one i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that, the lightbars, the cb stuff, interior leds, maybe some dedicated wireless phone charging behind the waterfall dash, and i already added some google assistant abilites which works great with my car capability:https://goroav.com/pages/bolt

like i said before, i was going to follow the style of light bar Mynameideasweretaken used, but im possibly leaning towards this one if i cant find a pod light setup that is cheaper, https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...nce-cab-lights

the only other thing i was thinking of doing was a front lightbar, something small, on the lower grille, maybe this https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...earance-lights

honestly, im not sure.
      I dig your passion, take a few moments when you have time and play with a phone photo editing app or pen and paper and sketch up front light ideas, to help you visualize what you'll prefer (I've done this with 2 cars so far). Maybe it'll help you decide.

I ended up with an XC60 instead of a 70, but am going the exact same route as you for an adventure vehicle, will be exciting to watch you make it yours!

(obligatory pic of my new to me XC)

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

Quote Originally Posted by spiked60 View Post
      I dig your passion, take a few moments when you have time and play with a phone photo editing app or pen and paper and sketch up front light ideas, to help you visualize what you'll prefer (I've done this with 2 cars so far). Maybe it'll help you decide.

I ended up with an XC60 instead of a 70, but am going the exact same route as you for an adventure vehicle, will be exciting to watch you make it yours!

(obligatory pic of my new to me XC)
      Hey man XC60 is just a brotha from anotha motha. Send some pics in this thread if I can say this. Don’t mean to hijack. Welcome!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

good tip, thanks spiked60
      Crossing Countries I would like to see others overlanding/rally/offroad builds, in here as a tip, reference picture, or a this is what i did kind of thing, i dont minds seeing other builds, but i would rather it pertain to the topic: building a mall-crawler/family wagon into a weekend offroader. sorry if that came across as rude, i love seeing others builds, i really do, but i have had a personal track record of derailing my own stuff. so if i can mitigate it now, it wont be a waste for me later. ( but i still love reading the what did you do with your car today threads, and all the other posts in that nature, im just trying to go for a somewhat laxed technical thread)

CWH11's Adventure XC70

good tip, thanks spiked60
      Crossing Countries I would like to see others overlanding/rally/offroad builds, in here as a tip, reference picture, or a this is what i did kind of thing, i dont minds seeing other builds, but i would rather it pertain to the topic: building a mall-crawler/family wagon into a weekend offroader. sorry if that came across as rude, i love seeing others builds, i really do, but i have had a personal track record of derailing my own stuff. so if i can mitigate it now, it wont be a waste for me later. ( but i still love reading the what did you do with your car today threads, and all the other posts in that nature, im just trying to go for a somewhat laxed technical thread)
      I fully agree with you. I will be following your enthusiasm in this thread as much as I can. Don’t forget to include a picture with every mod. They often say more than a 1000-words. iPhone gives alerts on almost all changes...

Of course, i will be attempting to do the rear cargo bay 12v jack. Then when that is done i will cad up a mount for my jackery power inverter unit to hook on to. Details will hopefully follow. I also took my last exam today, so hopefully next week we will see some updates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

New led mod left before right after.

New led mod left before right after.

Not 6000K is it? LED 4300 normally enough...

Not 6000K is it? LED 4300 normally enough...

To be honest, I'm not really sure, it's what ipd had for my car.

Its the complete replacement, not the bulbs, but the whole part.

Question to anyone who did led conversions/upgrades to their XC70, I looked at Volvosweden's video on interior leds, and was wondering what bulbs I would need for the first and second row courtesy lamps (map, some,etc) I'm on superbrightleds website and have already figured out the footwells, the cargo bay,and the glove box, but I need to know two things, is the lighting system CAN Bus? can I take the old w5w bulbs out of the little twist sockets for the first and second row lights, or do I need to buy new sockets? If I need to buy new sockets, does anyone know where I can find them? I haven't really been able to find them and Volvosweden's video mentioned a eBay seller, who I can't find. Also, what would you recommend for color? I don't want something crazy bright, but a little more modern like than halogens. Also, is there a easy way to tell which size of festoon style leds is required for the bar style bulbs?
      Last edited by CWH11; 05-03-2020 at 04:01 AM.

The interior bulbs won't throw a bulb out message on the dash, but the drop in voltage will do other little things (mine glow faintly when off and cause a few ghost messages to show up in vida), but no big deal.

I know my xc60 is not identical but this is what I experienced recently with a pack of cheap LEDs (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?p=7556615)

And I ended up buying a pack of bases on Amazon, it doesn't say they fit my car, but it's what I needed to make the cheap wedge bulbs fit into my front overhead light: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVU70NY..._YAeSEbV6CZ8VS

Previous:
      2001 S60 fwd

CWH11's Adventure XC70

https://www.hypercolor.de/LED-interi...-XC70-type-P24

Got all mine from here. All in one. NO ERROR MESSAGES. Done. Even the make-up mirrors. Wife loves it.

Dont forget to upgrade your orange side markers...4300K minimum. 6000K is fine too in this case.
      Last edited by CrossingCountries; 05-05-2020 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks for the tips guys, I will definitely take that all in consideration. I had an idea for my auxiliary lights, I would wire a relay in parallel to my fog lights so I don't have to mess with my interior panels, the relay would just sense voltage from the circuit for the fogs and get power from the battery.

Happy mother's day to all!
      So I did the center marker bulb change on my headlights, i have to say it is a world of a difference, it makes the car look newer and gives that stone cold look to it, and im going to do the amber marker lights next, and im really considering on doing the interior.

Stay safe and spend time with your loved ones safely!

Happy mother's day to all!
      So I did the center marker bulb change on my headlights, i have to say it is a world of a difference, it makes the car look newer and gives that stone cold look to it, and im going to do the amber marker lights next, and im really considering on doing the interior.

Stay safe and spend time with your loved ones safely!

Now do the OEM fogs from 2014...

I'm considering it.

Crossing Countries, hows your XC70 doing?

CWH11's Adventure XC70

Crossing Countries, hows your XC70 doing?

Worried about batt drainage. Very strange. Low batt warning with 3 week old batt installed. Corona doesn’t allow me to drive long distance. Not sure what it is. Not Sat radio, maybe a led draining slowly...no idea yet.

Guess she is growing old gracefully...

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 05-10-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Worried about batt drainage. Very strange. Low batt warning with 3 week old batt installed. Corona doesn’t allow me to drive long distance. Not sure what it is. Not Sat radio, maybe a led draining slowly...no idea yet.
      Hey CC, tried to PM you but ya got that stuff turned off LOL. if you have a volt meter, you can easily test for dark current and figure out what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

CWH11, apologies for the derail. Your DRLs look great; did mine a while back and love them, just gotta remember to turn them off when I'm done driving because there is no warning chime LOL.
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

CWH11's Adventure XC70

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrracer View Post
      Hey CC, tried to PM you but ya got that stuff turned off LOL. if you have a volt meter, you can easily test for dark current and figure out what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

CWH11, apologies for the derail. Your DRLs look great; did mine a while back and love them, just gotta remember to turn them off when I'm done driving because there is no warning chime LOL.
      Hey man! This is awesome, we all know I am not very handy so this is a lovely feedback. Sorry for hijacking thread. Sorry. Will check DM..I should have all turned on since day one, including chat!!!!!!!!

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 05-10-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Batteries self discharge gradually as cars sit in driveways, your battery's state of charge probably fell under 70%.
      Did you reset the BMS with new battery?
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7561505

Aftermarket LEDs that glow faintly when off might indeed increase the standby drain.
      Mine is -9mA with no extra gadgets. Car Scanner screenshot:

Hey all, sorry for not being on here, I had some events that happened, nothing bad, just some headspace stuff.
      Now, so here's whats happened to the Adventure XC70

All the w5w's that are in the headlights have been replaced with Flosser LEDs from iPd
      My intake runners have been replaced so they aren't getting hung up
      (shout-out to iPd) one of my rear bulbs for the plates had stopped working, so I messaged iPd to see if I can get a replacement or something. They knocked it out of the park, they are going to be shipping me a free pair, and they couldn't have been nicer to me about it, so iPd will be one of the few places I'll get consumable parts for my car for now on! Thanks iPd!
      I got a Cobra SPX955 detector (I had a previous ticket for speeding in NYS, I live right on the border, and when I go back to school, my commute will most likely be through NYS, plus I'm a spirited driver)
      I now have Google Assistant in my car, Anker Roav Bolt, it works great with my audio system and could not recommend it any better.
      I now have a rear Cargo Bay 12V jack, which is handy if you have an inverter and can do quick repairs on the go as a PC nerd.

Currently, I am looking into a few routes to go with the build some options: (input would be great)
      I was wondering if anyone has tried, or has had luck with any Volo Performance chips on their 3.2s (I'm not really looking for power, but more for efficiency and maybe some other stuff.
      I am curious to see if anyone had tinkered with the infotainment system, whether its putting android auto on it, adding a backup camera, or anything in particular.
      If anyone has had luck on cross country performance 2" lift kit, I'm still planning on daily driving the car and it will mostly live its life on the road, but later in my life, i would love to go to some off road trails with it (not mud bogs or rock crawling, just stuff like national parks, not highly maintained roads, stuff like that) if you have it, how does handling go about with it? how is MPG? how is the joints and geometry of everything? will I need to swap CV shafts with a different year or model? (like bad swede saying to use p2 xc90 shafts on p2 xc70s) anything to recommend would be good to know.

Lastly, I would love to know how you all are doing? how are your rides doing? I love to hear all the great off-road builds that sweep the P3 platform of all creeds and colors.
      I hope you all are well and safe!
      Cheers!
      Charlie

Try tuning here; not sure where you live in the US

https://www.wahoudmotors.com/xc70-08-15-3-2-243-hp