2020 XC90 and air suspension - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by ultrakg11 View Post
      Oh yeah, we have the VIP platinum on both cars. At 54,000 miles, the 2017 needed a new long block engine due to a manufacturing defect with one of the intake camshafts. Diagnostics, parts, and labor was over $16,000. We paid $100 by using the VIP warranty. Worth every penny.
      $16k...!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith22 View Post
      $16k...!!!
      I also had a similar incident - At 53K miles, a spark plug exploded in cylinder 3, destroying the cylinder head. Volvo goodwill'ed it and dealer said the overall bill including swapping in all new pistons as part of a recall, was around $15K.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

[Yep. The issue was simply a "whine" noise from the engine throughout most RPMs, distinctly different than the turbo and super chargers. We all thought it was the balance shaft, based on a service bulletin. That was replaced but the noise continued. Volvo corporate insisted the balance shaft replaced again. No change. Volvo corporate insisted it changed *again* but the tech refused. This caused some issues between the dealer and Volvo corporate.

Eventually their inspection of the engine showed premature wear on an intake cam shaft bearing. This caused metal contamination through the engine oil. It would have been catastrophic down the road obviously. Allegedly 2 other XC90'S in the US had this same issue. So, all that diagnosis, balance shaft replacements, and a new long block engine replacement...$16,000+.

I don't need to state the obvious here. 54,000 miles is outside factory warranty and I would have been stuck with the bill without the VIP platinum warranty.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

[/QUOTE]
      I also had a similar incident - At 53K miles, a spark plug exploded in cylinder 3, destroying the cylinder head. Volvo goodwill'ed it and dealer said the overall bill including swapping in all new pistons as part of a recall, was around $15K.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, I remember reading about the change in spark plug part numbers and the recall. That's horrible, but I'm glad you were taken care of. Amazing what one tiny part of the engine can do if it fails!

Quote Originally Posted by seadooxp30 View Post
      My dealer telling me that they have nothing but problem with air suspension.
      Just wondering if anyone in this forum that have harsh winter see any issue during winter moths.
      No issues.

It's excellent and provides awesome additional clearance to make it through deep snow or other terrain in spite of all season tires

Off-road mode helps improve the approach and departure angles to same level perhaps better than our 2010's (love the approach angle on that one, it's fantastic for gnarly terrain).
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

I describe the air suspension ride with 21" wheels as taught and controlled, corners flat for the amount of mass. Since that's the way I like it, it's comfortable to me. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension and it rides softer, but it's a bit floaty and sways a bit in comparison, so while it's softer, it's not as comfortable to me. You can always try out some 19" wheels to see if that suits your preference.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by sconnors11 View Post
      I describe the air suspension ride with 21" wheels as taught and controlled, corners flat for the amount of mass. Since that's the way I like it, it's comfortable to me. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension and it rides softer, but it's a bit floaty and sways a bit in comparison, so while it's softer, it's not as comfortable to me. You can always try out some 19" wheels to see if that suits your preference.
      My experience exactly with our XC90 air suspension and the Grand Cherokee's we traded to purchase the Volvo.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2