Tire pressure readout?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Tire pressure readout?

Am I just missing it or does this car not show the actual PSI of each tire? In the car status screen it only seems to show green dots at each wheel rather than the PSI.

Pretty ridiculous if that’s all it shows.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD Inscription with Advanced and Luxury package in Denim Blue with Blond interior

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

there are 2 types of tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). One that use information from the ABS sensor do not directly measure pressure, so no pressure readout is available. On the US market SPA xc90, the MY2016 had the ability to display pressure. I'm not sure about MY2017; my MY2018 do not.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

As satrya hinted at, there are dTPMS and iTPMS systems. Volvo switched to the cheaper iTPMS system.

The benefit of iTPMS is there are no batteries/sensors in the wheels to require replacement or get damaged during tire changes.

The downside of iTPMS is that the car doesn't actually know the air pressure in the tire. Instead, the car counts the rotations of the wheels.
      When the car detects a mismatch between two wheels it assumes the diameter has changed as a result of a change of air pressure that wasn't applied to all wheels.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      Am I just missing it or does this car not show the actual PSI of each tire? In the car status screen it only seems to show green dots at each wheel rather than the PSI.

Pretty ridiculous if thatís all it shows.
      I don't know about American cars, but all European manufacturers have been using the ABS / ESP system for many years
      Since Volvo has no technical explanation here is this link below, I know individuals will not be happy but I don't care

Text and video explanation :
      https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...itoring-system

There are many interesting technical details and explanations regarding cars available here
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-01-2020 at 03:18 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I for one, am happy that I do not have to reset sensors on the seasonal tire change. I have had two punctures on my last two cars with the simple TPMS and it gave me enough warning both times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, the simple TPMS can show actual tire pressure. But the benefit of this feature seems to be overwhelmed by many who hate the hassle and expense of the TPMS units. Batteries fail, extra set required for winter tires, sensors must be reset/relearned with tire rotation. You needed special tools, an air compressor and some patience. People just want to drive their cars and TPMS was getting in the way.

Pretty ridiculous if thatís all it shows.
      I couldnít agree with you more.
      In all the cars I have owned in the past many years, I never had an issue battery or otherwise with batteries on the TPMS sensors.

I think it's a shame they don't give pressure readings. I've had that in my last 4 vehicles, and one of them is 7 years old with zero issues. It's especially useful during seasonal temperature changes. It's certainly not an expensive item in a supposedly premium vehicle. I have a Jeep Compass economy car with it. I had my heart set on a new XC60, but after spending a few months on this forum, and seeing the de-contenting and corner cutting Volvo is doing, I'm seriously reconsidering this purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
      I think it's a shame they don't give pressure readings. I've had that in my last 4 vehicles, and one of them is 7 years old with zero issues. It's especially useful during seasonal temperature changes. It's certainly not an expensive item in a supposedly premium vehicle. I have a Jeep Compass economy car with it. I had my heart set on a new XC60, but after spending a few months on this forum, and seeing the de-contenting and corner cutting Volvo is doing, I'm seriously reconsidering this purchase.
      Most new cars are getting rid of in wheel TPMS sensors and going with ABS based tire monitoring just like volvo. Seems like just a few US manufactures are using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ridley View Post
      Yes, the simple TPMS can show actual tire pressure. But the benefit of this feature seems to be overwhelmed by many who hate the hassle and expense of the TPMS units. Batteries fail, extra set required for winter tires, sensors must be reset/relearned with tire rotation. You needed special tools, an air compressor and some patience. People just want to drive their cars and TPMS was getting in the way.
      I completely agree. Nothing wrong with the current system at all.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kmazz View Post
      Most new cars are getting rid of in wheel TPMS sensors and going with ABS based tire monitoring just like volvo. Seems like just a few US manufactures are using them.
      Too bad, nothing like technology going backwards. I find TPMS much more useful than a lot of the other tricks manufactured into vehicles, like the pain in the butt door unlocking and locking handle features that I've disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      I completely agree. Nothing wrong with the current system at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Don Ridley View Post
      Hers the scenarios ..,youíre driving down a 12 lane expressway highway and the TPMS indicator goes on. Left rear tire is low. How low is it? Is it just under the threshold, meaning itís a slow leak, and I may be able to make it to the next exit and pull into a shop for a repair? Or is it at zero, and I should pull over immediately and risk my life in this traffic, or risk the life of the roadside service guy?

Well Iím in my Volvo so I have no idea how low is low. Had I been driving my Kia, I would have known it was a slow leak and been able to drive it into a tire shop for repair. True story, as this happened when I had my Kia.

To argue that itís too complicated or adds cost is ridiculous when youíre talking about a luxury vehicle that has sensors and cameras for everything, and they cheap out and wonít put sensors in the wheels where they could actually give the driver life-saving information.

Really disappointed that Iíve gone backwards in car tech.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD Inscription with Advanced and Luxury package in Denim Blue with Blond interior

Hers the scenarios ..,youíre driving down a 12 lane expressway highway and the TPMS indicator goes on. Left rear tire is low. How low is it? Is it just under the threshold, meaning itís a slow leak, and I may be able to make it to the next exit and pull into a shop for a repair? Or is it at zero, and I should pull over immediately and risk my life in this traffic, or risk the life of the roadside service guy?
      The TPMS system notifies you that you have a problem when there is a difference of 0.2 bar/3psi from that stored in memory

If you think your life is at risk, simply buy a TPMS sensor kit

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      The TPMS system notifies you that you have a problem when there is a difference of 0.2 bar/3psi from that stored in memory

If you think your life is at risk, simply buy a TPMS sensor kit
      I'm not asking how to do it. I'm stating my opinion that on a $57,000 luxury automobile, for them to remove/or have never included the capability is ludicrous, considering cars much less expensive have it.

And per my example, knowing a particular tire is down 3 psi or 30 psi is a huge difference worth knowing.

I'm not asking how to do it. I'm stating my opinion that on a $57,000 luxury automobile, for them to remove/or have never included the capability is ludicrous, considering cars much less expensive have it.

And per my example, knowing a particular tire is down 3 psi or 30 psi is a huge difference worth knowing.
      Agreed. I think a company whose main marketing claim is SAFETY should stick with dTPMS so we can see the actual PSI of each wheel (including spare). There are a LOT of things Volvo does that are not the ďcheapestĒ option, so going cheap on a safety-tech seems incredibly off-brand, to me.

Well Iím in my Volvo so I have no idea how low is low. Had I been driving my Kia, I would have known it was a slow leak and been able to drive it into a tire shop for repair. True story, as this happened when I had my Kia.

To argue that itís too complicated or adds cost is ridiculous when youíre talking about a luxury vehicle that has sensors and cameras for everything, and they cheap out and wonít put sensors in the wheels where they could actually give the driver life-saving information.

Really disappointed that Iíve gone backwards in car tech.
      I think most manufactures see it as an added hassle for owners which is why they are getting away from in wheel tpms sensors. Everyone here gets a good idea of how they work but the majority of people on the road have no clue. They get a tire losing air and throw in fix a flat, slime,etc and ruin the sensors then are out some money on new sensors and programming. Others get destroyed by tire shops or people upset when they rotate their wheels then aren't able to calibrate them at home and need a shop/dealer to do it.

I personally hate in wheel tpms sensors and have pulled them out of every car I have owned which has them because I change tires/wheels often and rotate my wheels often. They are more hassle for me then they are worth. I love the Itpms since if it throws a warning I just check with a manual tire pressure gauge and done.

I now have 16 years of experience with in wheel sensors with three different vehicles, and not one single issue. Never had a problem with buying and having new tires installed, or batteries dying in sensors. They automatically adjust when I rotate the tires. This idea that they're too much trouble is totally ludicrous. If their operation is clueless to the majority of drivers, then the majority of drivers shouldn't be on the road. It's not rocket science. The radio in most new vehicles is way more complicated. This is a major fail for "safety conscious" Volvo. This one miss may be the reason I don't buy one. I know that isn't a great loss to anyone else, but that's how I feel. And it surely isn't something I'd go aftermarket with.
      Last edited by jacko15; 05-03-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Volvo is in pretty good company here with regard to the true setup. BMW had a similar issue (or at least they used to when I had a 3). It's annoying though, I agree.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Well, I do not expect a car worth $50k to drop parts of the same or the appearance of unknown white spots on the interior lining or leaking oil in the engine after 3k miles, rear doors gather way too much snow/dirt, design flaws, problem with sunroof , cheap Chinese spare tire, poor quality of the key housing...... I experienced it all with Volvo
      A special story is the software of engines that have not resolved for 2 years, which made me endanger my life and the lives of my family members

Unfortunately Volvo is a nice car, but has a lot of flaws

I'm selling my XC60, but due to the current situation there are no interested buyers
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-03-2020 at 03:26 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

My MY16 XC90 has dTPMS. They work great. I donít care that a battery has to be replaced or whatever maintenance is needed from time to time.

I would definitely miss the dTPMS if I upgraded to a newer model year.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and even towing

Quote Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
      This is a major fail for "safety conscious" Volvo. This one miss may be the reason I don't buy one.
      Unfortunately, this just made me think of all the "single issue voters" out there. If a candidate doesn't share my view on this one particular issue, then I won't even consider voting for him or her, regardless of the overall comparison with other candidates.

I understand the thought; I just don't think it's the best approach.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      Unfortunately, this just made me think of all the "single issue voters" out there. If a candidate doesn't share my view on this one particular issue, then I won't even consider voting for him or her, regardless of the overall comparison with other candidates.

I understand the thought; I just don't think it's the best approach.
      Although I agree with the disdain for single-issue voters, that isn't what jacko15 said. There are other vehicles on the market that do offer dTPMS, and if one of those meets jacko15's needs in other areas, too, then I think they should buy what works for them. Unfortunately, I don't think any car company "listens" to what customers say, so long as the customers keep buying from the brand. The only way to get a company to listen is to spend your money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Although I agree with the disdain for single-issue voters, that isn't what jacko15 said. There are other vehicles on the market that do offer dTPMS, and if one of those meets jacko15's needs in other areas, too, then I think they should buy what works for them. Unfortunately, I don't think any car company "listens" to what customers say, so long as the customers keep buying from the brand. The only way to get a company to listen is to spend your money elsewhere.
      Thanks for understanding. Also, sometimes that "single issue" might just be a very important one in the decision making process. You're right though, issues pile up, and one in particular can be the straw that breaks the camels back. I've never owned a Volvo, but really wanted to be drawn to one. I thought the XC60 was going to be it, but it seems to be slipping off of my radar. It is a beautiful vehicle, but there's a lot of competition out there.

What really does suck is that when the batteries die on your TPMS wheel sensor system, you either have to spend ridiculous money for new sensors and installation, or live with the always-on low-pressure warning light on the dash. It cannot (on my 2007 XC70 at least) be reset.

Just another "safety" feature that those of us who TAKE CARE of their cars and are AWARE drivers do not need.

I am disappointed that Volvo has not improved its cheapie, non-quantitative TPMS in the last 5 years. My 2015 XC60 has TPMS sensors and a display able to indicate which wheel is low, but it only tells you that one (or more) tire(s) is low. Do the newer SPA models at least tell you which tire or axle is low?
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed
      2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJag View Post
      I am disappointed that Volvo has not improved its cheapie, non-quantitative TPMS in the last 5 years. My 2015 XC60 has TPMS sensors and a display able to indicate which wheel is low, but it only tells you that one (or more) tire(s) is low. Do the newer SPA models at least tell you which tire or axle is low?
      Yes it tells you which tire is low

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJag View Post
      The status is colour-coded for each tyre in accordance with the following:

All-green: the system is operating normally and the tyre pressure in all tyres is slightly above the recommended level.
      Yellow wheel: corresponding tyre's pressure is too low.
      Red wheel: corresponding tyre's pressure is very low.
      All wheels grey: the system is temporarily unavailable. It may be necessary to drive the car for a few minutes at a speed above 30 km/h before the system becomes active again.
      All wheels grey and the message Tyre pressure system Service required: an error has occurred in the system. Contact a Volvo dealer or workshop.

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I didn't want to be guilty of starting a new thread when one exists so pardon my hijacking an older thread. Yesterday when coming back from taking Dad to lunch, my tire pressure warning came on. I had service a month ago and one of them flagged low a day later, I calibrated and it never came back, figured they forgot to do it when they changed the tire. So yesterday, I swipe to read the messages, and it's all four tires flagging low, just in the middle of driving and I had already been driving all day. Since our lesser system doesn't tell me what the PSI is, I'm left wondering did I just hit a patch of nails, or am I down 3 PSI and I can get home. I did the stupid thing and drove home. Had a neighbor tell me that since all 4 alerted, that it was probably a communications error versus actual problem. I was going thru an onramp from one interstate to another, and there was construction. Based on the conversations above, could enough gravel slip have emulated the diameter difference to flag the system? I'm going to call the shop Monday morning, since they can't get the stupid Pirellis balanced anyway, again, again. But to the other points, having the PSI readout could have gone a long way to calming my nerves. Anyone else had all four go on at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
      I didn't want to be guilty of starting a new thread when one exists so pardon my hijacking an older thread. Yesterday when coming back from taking Dad to lunch, my tire pressure warning came on. I had service a month ago and one of them flagged low a day later, I calibrated and it never came back, figured they forgot to do it when they changed the tire. So yesterday, I swipe to read the messages, and it's all four tires flagging low, just in the middle of driving and I had already been driving all day. Since our lesser system doesn't tell me what the PSI is, I'm left wondering did I just hit a patch of nails, or am I down 3 PSI and I can get home. I did the stupid thing and drove home. Had a neighbor tell me that since all 4 alerted, that it was probably a communications error versus actual problem. I was going thru an onramp from one interstate to another, and there was construction. Based on the conversations above, could enough gravel slip have emulated the diameter difference to flag the system? I'm going to call the shop Monday morning, since they can't get the stupid Pirellis balanced anyway, again, again. But to the other points, having the PSI readout could have gone a long way to calming my nerves. Anyone else had all four go on at the same time?
      In my experience the system normally shows all in the yellow when it first detects a pressure difference. After a bit of driving it then updates itself to show the actual tire that is low. Ive had it show me the actual low tire within a few minutes of giving me the low tire warning when I actually had a flat/large nail. Other times with a slight change in pressure (one tire had a small leak, other time was a bad valve stem) it took much longer to show me the actual tire at fault.
      Last edited by kmazz; 06-21-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      The status is colour-coded for each tyre in accordance with the following:

All-green: the system is operating normally and the tyre pressure in all tyres is slightly above the recommended level.
      Yellow wheel: corresponding tyre's pressure is too low.
      Red wheel: corresponding tyre's pressure is very low.
      All wheels grey: the system is temporarily unavailable. It may be necessary to drive the car for a few minutes at a speed above 30 km/h before the system becomes active again.
      All wheels grey and the message Tyre pressure system Service required: an error has occurred in the system. Contact a Volvo dealer or workshop.

That looks like a vast improvement over the lame 2015 system, but I would still prefer a numeric readout like my new Tesla Model 3.
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
      What year and model is your car? My 2015 Volvo XC60 can only indicate if some tire is low, so you can't even tell if it's just one tire or all 4. I have not had any TPMS alerts since changing to nitrogen. I would definitely prefer a numeric readout like my new Tesla Model 3 and many other cars.

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements