Curbed the tire
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Curbed the tire

Curbed the tire

This is nothing to do with VOLVO but since I am here as a member, I thought I might as well ask a question.

I hit a curb with a rear tire today and that left some scratches and took a small amount of rubber off of the side wall. Luckily the wheel was not damaged at all.

The size of what is missing is 1/4” (6mm) in diameter and 1/16” (less than 2mm) in depth. I do not see any wires. I even used a soapy water to see if there was a leak but did not find any.

Should I replace the tire?

I could go to a local tire shop and ask for their opinion but I am sure they would say “you need a new tire!!’. So I wanted to get some non-business biased opinion here.

Thanks in advance.6F0BB339-70B8-4CBC-AC93-2375A010F5E5.jpg
      2020 V60 CC, Birch Light, Advanced PKG, 19" wheels, P*
      Past cars: Original Toyota 86, Subaru Legacy Wagon, Audi A4, V70, XC70, BMW M3, AMG SLK, Mini Cooper S

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jaep View Post
      This is nothing to do with VOLVO but since I am here as a member, I thought I might as well ask a question.

I hit a curb with a rear tire today and that left some scratches and took a small amount of rubber off of the side wall. Luckily the wheel was not damaged at all.

The size of what is missing is 1/4” (6mm) in diameter and 1/16” (less than 2mm) in depth. I do not see any wires. I even used a soapy water to see if there was a leak but did not find any.

Should I replace the tire?

I could go to a local tire shop and ask for their opinion but I am sure they would say “you need a new tire!!’. So I wanted to get some non-business biased opinion here.

Thanks in advance.6F0BB339-70B8-4CBC-AC93-2375A010F5E5.jpg
      Since the tire is new I would replace it. While you are at it get an alignment as the tire is feathering. Before doing that however clean the wheels and go to Discount Tires to purchased their Road Hazard Warranty. For the cost of replacement of my Goodyears Discount charged $80 for the set. The tires are two years old but looks new as we have not put many miles on it since purchasing the car around 1.5 years ago. They balanced, rotated and fix a flat for free at the same time and the tires were not purchased from them as far as I know.

If they deem the tire undamaged and will sell you the Road Hazard and the tires balance then you can keep using it.
      Last edited by MoVolvos; 05-04-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks very much for the tip!

I got only 6000 miles on it. Can I just replace the damaged one or at least two??
      2020 V60 CC, Birch Light, Advanced PKG, 19" wheels, P*
      Past cars: Original Toyota 86, Subaru Legacy Wagon, Audi A4, V70, XC70, BMW M3, AMG SLK, Mini Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by jaep View Post
      Thanks very much for the tip!

I got only 6000 miles on it. Can I just replace the damaged one or at least two??
      They look good for 6k miles so if you want to replace it one will do. If you have AWD have it put on the driver's front if whoever is doing the work is willing (cross rotate). Tire rotation practices have change so much over the years and tires have come a long way so if the tires are all evenly wore it should not affect the driving characteristic of the car too much.

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements