SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Galexie64's 1998 Black V70 T5

6K views 59 replies 5 participants last post by  galexie64 
#1 ·
On May 3rd, I picked up the replacement to my wrecked pewter V70 AWD 'R' conversion. The car is a Black 1998 V70 T5 auto with a blown headgasket and turbo plus a nasty interior. The body is in really great shape which is all I really care about. The car has 217k miles on it. There are a few upgrades that were done to the car at some point. It has an IPD tcv, hid's, IPD rear load springs, k&n air filter, and upgraded plug wires.

I plan to use the R motor that I had in the other car (I know it's the same as the T5) plus all the upgrades I had done. I also plan to use my charcoal R interior that's in mint condition. I have an R bumper that's already black that I never got around to repainting and installing on the AWD car.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow you werent kidding that interior is trashed! That takes effort. Toss the IPD TCV, the hids and the K&N. You want a 30670449 tcv (from p2R/t5's), paper filter and light wise e codes/jewels/projectors but anything other than HIDs in DOT housings.

#4 ·
The interior actually looks worse in person if that's possible. The dash is covered with coke or something. The first thing I did was spray everything with lysol.

I don't plan to use the IPD TCV, I have the Pierburg 7.22908.03.0 TCV on my other that I was planning to use. I'll also be using the AMB projectors with HIDs that I already have.

#3 ·

I plan to use the entire front subframe assembly from my other car. It is an AWD so it has 4 bolt control arms. I replaced the control arms less than a year ago with Volvo brand arms. I also put new tie rods sway bar end links, and wheel bearings on at the same time. I have 302 front brakes (needs new rotors and pads). I have a Snabb RIP kit and fresh air pipe as well as all silicone tubing. I'll probably use the transmission out of the T5, it looks good but it is over due for a fluid change. I have 218k on the motor and have new timing belt and pcv that I purchased planning to do in the next few weeks. I'll take care of it once the motor is pulled.

#9 ·
I went through the car today. It's mechanically better than I thought. No check engine lights, no tranny lights, a few abs lights, and one ecc light. Windows and sunroof work good. Passenger mirror motor is broken, both front lock actuators are not unlocking, and interior light switches are broken.

I'll use the pressure switch and wheel sensor from the other car.

I'll pull the damper motors from the other car to fix this.

#10 ·
I figured I should go ahead and replace the subframe bushings on the car while I have it out. I have a set of iPD inserts new in box that I never got around to installing.

Should I use the iPD inserts with new XC90 bushings?
Or should I get a set of Delrin subframe bushings?

#13 ·
welcome to the land of FWD goodness. :thumbup:

#14 ·
This is my first "fun" FWD car. I has an '87 Ford Taurus wagon in high school and my wife drives an '03 Saturn L200. The Saturn is the most reliable car I've ever driven but also one of the slowest.

#15 ·
I made good progress on the interior tear down.

I moved the cars around so I can finish up the tear down. I'm going to really dive into the two cars this weekend. I have two Harbor Freight tranny jacks on order (couldn't find any locally) to use to remove the subframes from under the cars. I'm planning to make my big order to FCP in the next couple of days, I'm trying to make sure I have a complete list.

I was able to find someone who could use the door panels and I sold the rear facing seat.

#16 ·
I'm going to be installing the Meteor rims off my R onto this car. I need to repaint the wheels because they were scratched in the accident.

Should I paint them hypersilver or metallic gunmetal gray?

#17 ·
I would paint them silver unless you want this to look blacked out.

#21 ·
I started pulling a parts out of the engine bay yesterday. I also put a list together of non functioning components of the car like the passenger mirror and the front door lock mechanisms. I'll pull everything worth keeping off of my other car before I scrap it.

I have the first round of parts for the project ready to go. Delrin subframe bushings, full timing belt kit, trans cooler, and pcv kit. The motor in the other car is due for timing belt and pcv in about 5,000 miles so I might as well do it when the motor is out.

#22 ·
I've made some good progress pulling things apart.

The interior is gutted except the headliner. I cleaned the headliner and steam cleaned the interior sheet metal.

I made some more progress on pulling stuff from the engine bay so I can drop the subeframe. I'm still waiting on the transmission jacks.

The rest of my parts are here. Plugs, filters, camshaft seals, tranny output seals, and brakes (rotors, pads, shoes, rear SS lines and fluid).

I when to pull the intercooler and a quart and a half poured out of the lower hose. I'm glad I had the oil pan right there.

#23 ·
I Welded a plate in the driver's side door where someone though it was a good ideal to cut out all the metal around the door check messed up the door. I need to get an after picture, this was my first time welding.

#24 ·
Wow did you pull the doors off to work on the interior? Bold move lol but I like it.

Nice parts pile except the Akebono pads have the worst stopping power of anything I have ever experienced.

#25 ·
I pulled the driver's side front door off to weld it and decided to leave it off for the interior removal.

The only reason I got the Akebono pads is because of all the hype over them. I was originally going to go with Hawk HPS pads but they were out of my current budget. Now I'm wondering if I should just return them and go with something else or use them for now and get the Hawk pads when budget allows.

#29 ·
ATE pads are ordered and the return receipt is ready to go for the Akebono pads. I'll get the Akebono sent out tomorrow and the ATE pads will be here by the 4th. The ATE pads are cheaper too with helps.

#33 ·
that looks more like it :thumbup:

#34 ·
New toy came last night for my '98 V70 T5 build. Innovate Motorsports 3892 PSB-1 Boost/Wideband Oxygen Gauge Kit. I have a 3D printed vent pod that this will be going in. Now I just need to do my motor swap and interior installation so I can actually use this.

#35 ·
I made good progress over the weekend but I didn't get nearly as far as I hoped. I'm guessing I have a couple of hours left before I get the motor pulled in the black car. I'm taking my time, labeling, and photographing everything. I should be able to pull the other motor much quicker because I won't have to label and photograph everything. I also spent a few hours cleaning off the motor in the black car so I could see the bolts and electrical connections.

#37 ·
Hint hint. Split the harness at the ecu box and you won't have to dewire the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll do that on the old silver car.

#38 ·
Do it on both and it'll literally be plug and play

#39 ·
The only reason I wasn't planning to do that is because I'm using a combination of parts. Motor and subframe from the old car, transmission and steering rack from the black car.

#41 ·
I made good progress on the motor swap project over the last week or so. I took Friday off work so I could work on the cars. I wasted my whole day Saturday working on a kids 1996 Nissan Maxima. We were replacing the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs, a project that should have taken 4 hours took 12. I'm now in my 40's and it really beat the crap out of me. I would like to say pulling the complete subframe out of a Volvo was easier than that POS.

Motor out of the black car.

Complete subframe from the black car.

Cleaned FWD transmission from the black car (the one I'm using).

Cleaned FWD steering rack

Subframe out of the silver car

The silver car with the subframe out. I took a shortcut and cut the front brace so I wouldn't have to raise it as high.

I need to get the subframe from the silver car pulled apart and cleaned. I'm going to throw the AWD steering rack in the silver car with the FWD subframe so I car get in on the ground and rolling for easy scrapping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.