SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Galexie64's 1998 Black V70 T5

6K views 59 replies 5 participants last post by  galexie64 
#1 ·
On May 3rd, I picked up the replacement to my wrecked pewter V70 AWD 'R' conversion. The car is a Black 1998 V70 T5 auto with a blown headgasket and turbo plus a nasty interior. The body is in really great shape which is all I really care about. The car has 217k miles on it. There are a few upgrades that were done to the car at some point. It has an IPD tcv, hid's, IPD rear load springs, k&n air filter, and upgraded plug wires.

I plan to use the R motor that I had in the other car (I know it's the same as the T5) plus all the upgrades I had done. I also plan to use my charcoal R interior that's in mint condition. I have an R bumper that's already black that I never got around to repainting and installing on the AWD car.

See less See more
#47 ·
The subframe is ready to go back in the car once I get the motor and transmission installed. I was able to get the subframe cleaned really good. I installed the iPD sway bar, FWD steering rack, and Delrin bushings.

I cleaned the motor and started on the maintenance work, new timing belt kit, cam seals, and PCV.

Some of the parts pulled off the silver car:

I plan to have the motor in the car this weekend. We shall see how it goes. I'm really trying not to over do it with my back and also be able to spend time with the family. I'm also taking my time detailing the car as I go.

#48 ·
I finished all the maintenance on the motor. Timing belt, PCV, front cam seals, spark plugs, and iPD spark plugs wires are installed. I also swapped out the throttle cable and silicone brake booster line.

I was able to get the motor and transmission fitted to the subframe and installed in the car. The hardest part was getting the motor and transmission dropped and connected to the subframe by myself with a cherry picker.

I also got the axles in place. I still need to finish wiring up and connecting hoses to the motor and transmission. Struts, and brakes need to go in. The hardest part is finishing which I'm excited about.

#50 ·
I was able to make progress. I got the engine and transmission wired up. I installed the stock downpipe (hopefully later this year I'll upgrade). The front suspension is installed. I struggled to get the steering column mated to the steering rack but I did eventually succeed. When I started to put the car back together, I noticed the Heater Hose Junction at the firewall was damaged so I went ahead replaced it.

I relocated and upgraded the horns. I moved them to under the battery where the SAS was.

The wiring of the PSB-1 Boost/Wideband Gauge Kit took quite a bit of time because I wires everything into the factory harness so it will never be seen. I still need to install the gauge itself once the dash is in.

You can see the failsafe relay in the box. The two wires sticking out of the firewall splice into the TCV wiring. I ran the O2 conection and the analog output wire out the passenger side of the firewall.

I also got the subframe and suspension installed on the silver car so we could get it rolled on a trailer when we scrap it.

#51 ·
nice progress. nothing like clean wiring changes 👍

#53 ·
I didn't get any pictures over the weekend. I pulled most of the interior out of the silver car. I'm in the process of swapping over the heater control motors because there are quite a few codes coming up for the heater in the black car. I need to fix one mount in the dash that completely came apart. I was able to cut off the mount from the original dash, I still need to glue it onto the black dash.

I used plastic epoxy to fix the tabs last time and they held up. I'm probably going to use plastic epoxy to mount it and reinforce it with fiberglass. Unless someone has a better idea?

#54 ·
Only suggestion I have is finding a rubber mounted well nut to replace the solid metal block. We did that a few times and those dash's have survived

#57 ·
I worked on betting my bumpers prepped for painting. I fixed the damaged R bumper I've had sitting in my garage for a year and I filled the licence plate mounting holes. I still need to do the filler primer and final sanding before I color and clear them. I didn't get a picture of the bumpers after I sanded them with the DA. I would have gotten it completely done except for the rain all weekend.

I replaced the rear bumper brackets. I also started to install the hitch (I need to fix one bracket that was modified at some point). I also pulled the rear exhaust bracket so I can sand and paint it.

I installed sound deadening in the car since the interior was completely out. I installed it on the floor and doors.

The dash is repaired and installed. The boost/wideband was a real pain to complete the wiring of but it is finally done. The

I did also get the air box and the Snabb fresh air pipe installed as well as the front wiper assembly but I haven't taken a picture.

The list of what's left:
I still need to complete the under dash trim, seats, three door panels, carpet, and center console installation to finish the interior. It shouldn't take very long.
Under the car needs the exhaust clamp, rear exhaust bracket, and fuel filter. Brakes need to be done. Under the hood needs the intercooler, radiator, trans cooler mounted and plumbed, radiator hoses, intercooler hoses, fan, battery, radiator support installed.
Bumpers need to be painted and installed, fog lights, headlights, side markers, all need to be installed.

It's still a long list but I'm so close.

#59 ·
I made some serious progress over the last week. I have the interior complete and the car running.

THe motor is running and I don't have any leaks. I'm also making good vacuum. I still need to check all the fluids and finish burping the coolant.

I built a transmission cooler mount for the car.

I also prepped and painted the bumpers and wing. I still need to wet sand and polish them before I install them on the car.

#60 ·
I'm working on replacing the brakes so I can get the car on the road this week.

I can't get the new rear rotors over the new parking brakes. I've adjusted the adjuster at the shoes all the way in but it hasn't helped. I checked the new rotors on the existing shoes and they fit, I also compared the new shoes to the existing. All seems good.
Am I missing something else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.